PDA

View Full Version : Banishment/Dismissal in Eberron?

Frog Dragon
2012-04-20, 09:33 AM
In Eberron, demons and devils are the children of Khyber, and thus natives to the underground realm, which happens to be a part of the material plane of the setting.

So... what happens when you cast Dismissal on a demon? Does it end up in Khyber, even though it's not a separate plane? What about a native of Xoriat? It's supposed to be unreachable, yet dismissal would technically send a creature there. Does it just fail to work?

Just a random setting detail that started bugging me.

JonRG
2012-04-20, 11:53 AM
I thought Khyber was mostly aberrations and the rakshasha. Some devils and demons live on Shavarath, the Battleground and succubi live on Mabar, the Endless Night. (ECS 92-100 for more planar stuff)

Not sure about Xoriat though.

Frog Dragon
2012-04-20, 02:44 PM
Well, the History of the World section describes the Progenitor Wyrm Khyber "spitting out the fiends". It seems to me that fiends not specifically spelled out as natives of other planes would be native to Khyber.

kpenguin
2012-04-20, 11:04 PM
Banishment/Dismissal works to send extraplanar creatures to their native plane. So, casting it on Khyber-born fiends while on the material plane would likely have the same effect as casting it on Rakshasas and other (native) outsiders in other settings: nothing.

avr
2012-04-20, 11:08 PM
IIRC there's some odd stuff about Khyber such that teleporting in and out isn't straightforward. The dwarves in the Mror holds are apparently blocking a bunch of exits, for example. Dismissal might actually send a demon back down there.

Kol Korran
2012-04-21, 08:15 AM
not official, but as i undersatnad most fiends with the (extraplanar) type are from the planes. where as Rakshasa and a few other (native)s are from Eberron.

HOWEVER, i read somewhere (i think on a forum where one of the setting creators answered... a long time ago) some of the common devils and demons can be from Eberron OR from the planes. i don't remember the details unfortunately.

i have no idea what happens with the Xoriat abominations. i'd rule it sends them back to their plane, but the journey takes a LOOOOONG time. :smalltongue:

i think it's really left to the DM to decide. Eberron 3.5 was abandoned once 4E was in the works, and since it didn't get quite the support crowd that WoTC expected for. so you have all kind of unclear questions left without an official answer.

c'est la RPG.