PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Spell Lists for Cleric

Zach J.
2012-04-20, 10:27 AM
I am currently playing a human cleric of Pelor named Nazim. In order to make things easier for myself as a player I have decided to write up multiple spell lists for tonight's session.

Spell List 1
0 Create Water, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Light, Purify Food and Drink
1 Bless Water, Detect Undead, Remove Fear, Protection from Evil, Sanctuary+Endure Elements
2 Delay Poison, Lesser Restoration, Remove Paralysis, Resist Energy+Cure Moderate Wounds
3 Daylight, Protection from Energy, Searing Light+Cure Serious Wounds

This spell list can be considered the default selection. The focus is on healing and fighting undead as I plan to prestige class into Radiant Servant of Pelor. Spells picked for this list are largely based on how I roleplay the character.

Spell List 2
0 Create Water (2), Detect Poison, Light, Purify Food and Drink
1 Endure Elements (5)+Endure Elements
2 Augury, Delay Poison, Resist Energy, Status+Cure Moderate Wounds
3 Create Food and Water, Dispel Magic,
Protection from Energy+Searing Light

The party is traveling through a desert right now so this is the spell list that is prepared at the start of the session.

Spell List 3
0 Create Water, Detect Magic, Light (2), Purify Food and Drink
1 Cause Fear (2), Divine Favor, Entropic Shield, Obscuring Mist+Cure Light Wounds
2 Augury, Silence, Shield Other (2)+Heat Metal
3 Create Food and Water, Dispel Magic, Locate Object+Cure Serious Wounds

This list is for use in a special circumstance: Nazim's sister and nephew have been taken as slaves. He plans to help them escape with the help of these spells.

I just wanted to ask for a critique on my selection. Are there areas in which I could improve my choices? I am currently limited to the SRD, but I think my DM may have the Spell Compendium.

Edit: Character also has potions of Cure Serious Wounds and Shield of Faith, scrolls of Dispel Magic, Remove Blindness/Deafness and Remove Disease and a wand of Cure Light Wounds.

Madcrafter
2012-04-20, 11:21 AM
Ehh, you could make a few changes. First of all, since you are a good cleric, there is no reason for you to prepare cure spells... ever. So fill up those slots with something more useful. As for spells:

Bless water is pretty much useless, you have better things to do, like buff your party, especially since it costs 25g.
Remove fear is pretty situational, but if you think you will need it, you can keep it.
Same with delay poison and remover paralasys.
Daylight I would argue is not a particularly useful choice either, you have your cantrip if you need light, and better things like searing light if you are fighting vulnerable things.
In list 2 the only thing I might suggest changing is augury.
Cause fear sucks pretty hard unless you know you will be fighting low level mooks (which is possible, given your level). However, it also has the bad effect of sending enemies to go alert other enemies that you are escaping with some slaves.
And you probably don't need create food and water, since you can just carry some food and water (it might be useful for desert travel though).

Cleric handbook can be found here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=420.0) with some suggestions of good spells.
Also, remember that you don't need to prepare all your spells at once. This is really useful, since you have a lot of more situational spells (scrolls are also a good idea). Basically, you can leave some slots open and prepare them in a few minutes in the middle of the day when you find out you suddenly need remove paralysis for example.

Zach J.
2012-04-20, 12:25 PM
Would choices like this work for a generic adventuring day?

0 Create Water, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Light (2), Purify Food and Drink
1 1, Bless (2), Divine Favor, Endure Elements (D)*, Protection from Evil, Sanctuary
2 Bull's Strength, Eagle's Splendor, Heat Metal (D), Hold Person, 1 open slot
3 Dispel Magic, Magic Circle Against Evil, Searing Light (D), 1 open slot
4 Discern Lies, Divine Power, Fire Shield (D)

*(D)=Domain Spell

Edit: My character leveled up last night so I added Divine Power and Fire Shield as his daily fourth level spells. Discern Lies has been prepared because our party's drow sorcerer has lost his hat of disguise and I imagine we will have to interrogate him soon.

Madcrafter
2012-04-20, 12:30 PM
That looks pretty solid for an average day, though I might leave one of the hold person and one of the dispel magic slots open to fill when needed.

Zach J.
2012-04-20, 12:32 PM
That's a good idea. Thanks for the help.