PDA

View Full Version : Need advice. My DM just gave our characters "3 wishes."

Con_Brio1993
2012-04-20, 12:04 PM
So our DM basically said "you get 3 wishes. You can use the wishes to generate any backstory event, or get any magical item as long as it isn't epic level."

I'm playing a Warblade, and I need recommendations for what these wishes would best be spent on. Any advice would be much appreciated.

VGLordR2
2012-04-20, 12:37 PM
Wish for a Lawful Evil Candle of Invocation. Gate in an Efreeti. Have the Efreeti grant three more wishes. Also, don't use this. Ever.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-04-20, 12:44 PM
I'd probably start with a melee weapon. Consider the following with regards to what makes an item epic:

Has a market price above 200,000 gp, not including material costs for armor or weapons, material component- or experience point-based costs, or additional value for intelligent items.

I'd probably make it a +1, Speed, Wounding, Valorous, Wrathful Healing adamantine weapon. Valorous is from Unapproachable East, it costs a +1 and makes you deal double damage on a charge. Wrathful Healing is from Enemies and Allies (p 20), it costs a +3 and heals you for as much damage as you deal on every attack. It should also be an intelligent item, because there's no limit to how many intelligent item benefits it can have outside of epic.

Say it's a family heirloom, like Greenhilt's sword. A hundred thousand million generations of warriors before you took it as an Item Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm), each one added another lesser power, greater power, and dedicated power for its special purpose (defending its current wielder). From there you give it as many powers as you want from the DMG, then look at the spell levels and functions of those spells and give it custom powers based on spells of your choice, as long as there's an existing power with a spell of similar level and function. One of those should definitely be a caster level 20 (Extended) Greater Magic Weapon. That's only one of your wishes.

Note that intelligent items are treated as constructs, and constructs cannot be dispelled or disjoined and they continue to function in an antimagic field. Also note that many of those powers are activated by the weapon itself, your character doesn't have to spend any actions on them because the sentient weapon spends its actions to activate them. You should also get Item Familiar via a Wish, worded so that you benefit from everything your ancestors had invested into the weapon (skill ranks, spell slots, and XP). That should give you an invested skill rank bonus to every skill equal to the number of ranks you have in that skill. You should also get tons and tons of spell slots of every level, you can pick up Magical Training in PGtF for a spellbook and the ability to put spells into it so you can use those spell slots. You'll also get a pool of XP which may as well be infinite, which you could probably spend for item creation costs. Intelligent items are extremely difficult to destroy if you're careful about it, but you won't even need to invest any of your own skill ranks or spell slots into it, just invest XP for the 10% return since there's no actual drawback if you lose it.

For your third wish, I'd probably get a ring that's also an intelligent item. Make it a Ring of Vanishing (MIC) plus Freedom of Movement plus Negative Protection (MIC) plus Anticipation (DotU). Adding multiple effects to an item increases all secondary effects' prices by 50%, so the most expensive effect is normal price (Freedom of Movement, 40,000), and everything else is +50%: Vanishing (45,000), Negative Protection (54,000), Anticipation (9,000) = 148,000 gp. That's way short of the 200,000 pre-epic limit, so let's add on Protection +5 for 50,000 more as per MIC p 234, for a total value of 198,000 gp. Make this one an intelligent item, and it can activate its own Ring of Vanishing power on you every single round. Add on a few more intelligent item benefits for good measure, and call it a day.

nedz
2012-04-20, 01:07 PM
Three Rings of Three Wishes :smallcool:

rweird
2012-04-20, 01:11 PM
Wish for a Lawful Evil Candle of Invocation. Gate in an Efreeti. Have the Efreeti grant three more wishes. Also, don't use this. Ever.

+1 for DM sanity. Don't wish for a repeating wish trap that makes repeating wish traps either.

One another note, chose something you want to be incorporated in the campaign, a war between [insert a kingdom in his campaign world] and [insert a another kingdom in his campaign world], a civilization mysteriously vanishing, choose something that would make the world something you would like to play in, but be broad so you don't know the answer to the mystery your investigating. A massively powerful Item Familiar is fun for TO, but in a real game, who would allow that? Would it be any fun for a non one shot game, if you ask me, the answer is no.

Knightofvictory
2012-04-20, 08:39 PM
I would save wishes for 'fun' things, rather than mechanical. First game I ever played in, our DM gave us a Ring of Three Wishes. One party member (she was kinda playing a kind of sex-a-holic) wished something along the lines of having a "private meeting" with Loki, her deity. Made for some hilarious, and fun antics as Loki got involved with our quest and she had semi-divine children. Second wish got used for another personal backstory quest (don't remember details), and we saved the last one 'just in case'. Near the end my Paladin used the wish to save a city's worth of people from an army of dragons, surprising the DM who had forgotten about the last wish and thought we would simply have to accept the deaths.

Don't waste the wishes on just some awesome sword or item if your game has any roleplaying in it, use the wishes on something character specific that is awesome, silly, or both and will make the game memorable rather than just a +5 vorpal, brilliant, holy whatever that will just make encounters easier.

Urpriest
2012-04-20, 08:49 PM
Remember, the boundary of epic isn't based on cost, but on bonuses. Using the rules in the MIC you can stack quite a few magic items on top of eachother in one slot, and if each is nonepic the sum will be as well regardless of the total cost.

I'd use this to shore up weaknesses rather than to break the game. There are a few guides of essential items around, I'd dig up one of them. Things in particular you might enjoy include an item with functionality of a Belt of Battle, Belt of Magnificence, some means of Mind Blank, some means of Freedom of Movement, some means of Death Ward, and some means of flight. (All for if you don't have access to such already).

Thomasinx
2012-04-20, 09:06 PM
Since it seems like you are getting some ridiculous suggestions, let me point out wish on the SRD...

SRD: Wish (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/wish.htm)

Specifically the bit at the bottom:

When a wish creates or improves a magic item, you must pay twice the normal XP cost for crafting or improving the item, plus an additional 5,000 XP.

While this is part of the cost of 'casting the spell', I seriously doubt that whatever is giving you these wishes paid the cost of such an expensive wish.

Anyways, your DM might bend the rules a bit for some wishes, but if you're going to try pushing for absolutely game-breaking results, I'd expect for the DM to give you curve-ball: "well, the actual price for that item is roughly 200 thousand gold, so you end up paying... 45 thousand experience. Since you can't go down a level in this way, the wish fizzles, and fails. Next wish?

Or even better: "Your wishes cost a grand total of ~700 thousand gold. You lose 145 thousand experience fulfilling these wishes. You are now level 1, and will be level 1 for the next XX thousand experience." Good luck surviving.

There are generally two results from trying to powergame like this:
1.) You annoy the DM, and he tells you to pick something else.
2.) He lets you do whatever you want. Congratulations, you're pun-pun. No more point in playing anymore.

Pick something reasonable, preferable RP-based. Or if you just can't think of anything, either hang onto them until you need them for something critical. Thats a good use of 3 wishes. If you're a really low level, it might just be worth asking for the 25000gp x3 worth of raw materials , and selling them to buy a variety of weak magical items.

navar100
2012-04-20, 09:53 PM
Wish for a Discipline weapon that has the discipline of the stance you use most often and one other discipline you use a lot. If you can get a third discipline, great, but perhaps it's best you don't push this. You do have Power Attack, of course.

Wish to have one more readied maneuver slot.

If you intend to have Leadership, wish to be a Noble in good standing with a Title to enjoy the role play. Otherwise, use your last wish for whatever enhances your role play.

Hunter Noventa
2012-04-20, 10:16 PM
Wish for a Discipline weapon that has the discipline of the stance you use most often and one other discipline you use a lot. If you can get a third discipline, great, but perhaps it's best you don't push this. You do have Power Attack, of course.

Wish to have one more readied maneuver slot.

If you intend to have Leadership, wish to be a Noble in good standing with a Title to enjoy the role play. Otherwise, use your last wish for whatever enhances your role play.

Discipline Weapons are pretty awesome to combine with Power Attacking, accuracy can turn into a big deal in combat.

Can Wish grant a feat? There's already a feat that grants an extra readied maneuver.

Leadership is a dangerous game, but using the wish like that for your backstory event isn't a bad idea if you're going to go that route.

The aforementioned super optimized weapon is a great idea if it's a highly optimized campaign, but if not I'd go with a more stylistic choice like the discipline weapon. Or perhaps some very nice armor, again it all depends on the level of optimization and difficulty of the campaign.

OracleofWuffing
2012-04-20, 10:34 PM
World's largest sandwich, king of the universe, everything back to normal. There. Now that we have the mental crisis out of the way, we can get back to diving dungeons.:smalltongue:

If you want to abuse the letter of the law (heck, we're talking about wishes, this is going to happen), you can wish that your grandfather created an epic weapon as a backstory event, and you just now found it on the ground in front of you. I hear the sound of books being thrown at me.

It's pretty much a given that whatever you wish for will either be taken away from you or equally distributed to the enemies, so unless this is your DM's way of bringing you up to where your wealth should be, forget about getting practical things. Force the DM to write space aliens from outer space in his campaign, turn the deserts of the world into non-spoiling delicious desserts (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97038), and find out that your parents were actually the world's best toy crafters.

Namfuak
2012-04-20, 10:47 PM
Wish for the Macguffin.

Macguffin: This strange object appears to change form before your eyes, though you can hold it in your hand with no trouble. Just by having it in your possession, you feel as though your quest has almost reached its end. This item can replicate the effects of any item which has no practical purpose besides being a plot device, or is currently being used as a plot device and for no other unrelated purpose (for example, if said item is a sword, so long as it is crucial to the plot it can be replicated, despite the fact that a sword can be used to attack another person, so long as the person wielding the sword is wielding it to advance the plot).