PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Spells for a 20 level progression Swiftblade?

Infernally Clay
2012-04-20, 12:22 PM
I'm getting quite close to finishing a 20 level progression of the Swiftblade, focusing on martial skill that's greatly amplified by Haste. There are also a few unique twists to Haste, such as increasing the bonuses to attack rolls, AC and reflex saves by reducing the length of time Haste is active or using Haste to grant fast healing and enhanced poison resistance due to rapid metabolism. These would be actual abilities, similar to how a bard uses Bardic Performances). I'm especially excited to see people's reaction to how the reflexes of the Swiftblade become intregral (beyond merely the Arcane Reflexes of the original Prestige Class).

Anyway, originally, I intended to make Haste a spell-like ability that starts off very weak (personal range, reduced effects and reduced duration) but eventually becomes an extrordinary ability like Rage. Yet, as an alternative, I figured a very limited spell list would be welcome for those that want it. Which is where I'd like some help. Assuming that the Swiftblade would mostly only have access to movement enhancing buffs, what kind of spell level should the Swiftblade stop at and are there any obscure spells that would fit?

This would be a Tier 2.5 class, by the way. Powerful, yet focused, and rewarding for those that go the whole way.

Eloel
2012-04-20, 01:30 PM
While I'm hesitant to give any specific spell advices (mainly because I don't have my SC handy), Ranger list and Assassin list from Spell Compendium might give some ideas.

Just try not to include higher level spells at lower level (e.g, don't make Haste a 1st level spell). Breaks way too many things unrelated to this specific class. (Mostly related to UMD, someone will probably pop this way and give details)

Dumorimasoddaa
2012-04-20, 03:29 PM
Indeed give the haste ability as spell like, but give it a spell list long the lines of jiriku's Magus of Blades (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214568) though removing any direct damage spells going for movement, and teleportation it's based of a arcane gish and while it might gain some nice features spell casting and utility (mostly out of combat) can add to a class and still keep it relatively in the same power bracket.

As for what spells or spells per day perhaps posting the class as it would help as gauging how much adding spell-casting and what type will do is hard from only a rough description. But you'll be wanting movement buffs and abillites. I'd recommend giving at least up to 4th level casting (for things like freedom of movement) but I'd consider going up to 6th as it gives a slightly nicer porgression power wise. As for how to treat the spell list I'd be temped to say you know these and only these spells and that's all but spontaneous casting. Though preparing from a limited list won't heavily effect the classes abillites though it would add more book keeping for little power trade off.

Tacitus
2012-04-20, 10:26 PM
>.> Didn't Jarian or somebody brew up a Swiftblade base class hereabouts on giants? I'm sure if you're looking to give your own take on the class you could take some inspiration from it and its spell list.