PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with the village witch IC

raspberrybadger
2012-04-20, 12:47 PM
Dinner is over - and dinner at the Jonas house is perhaps a little better than you're used to. The odours of bread and meat and pie still linger pleasantly. Mayor Jonas begins pouring out wine for anyone who wants some, which seems to be the sign for his family to leave for another part of the house. He seems a little nervous, but he's controlling himself well. Passing out the cups around the table seems to take forever. Finally the mayor speaks:

"The wine's from Martin's place. Best vines around, you know." At that, he nods to Cornelius, and resumes, more formally this time.

"As you know, our wellbeing depends on peace. For this reason, we have laws, and militia, and taxes paid to the Empire for security. However, there are threats to peace that cannot be met with such common solutions. Having a well trained well disciplined wizard can be a boon for a village."

"What we have, well, is not that. Crops are going bad - and in nice neat circles where everything died, so it's not natural. There was a fire too, out at Terren's place - you've probably heard, but there was a circle charred into the ground. Things have gone missing - and no accusation of theft or carelessness has been made that isn't laughable. Strange things have been seen in the air, by responsible adults. No circles with those last two, but they all paint the same picture. Magic. Uncanny. Out of control. People are whispering that it must be the witch. That she's cursed the town, and it's all going to ruin. I can't help but think there must be something to that."

"I can't just do nothing, but I can't just order the problem fixed. So I've brought you here. You manage to end the problem and end the chaos, and I pay you five hundred gold each. Do that without causing uproar and rumour, quietly that is, and I double that. I'd hope you'd do this anyway, but it's not fair to ask a man to deal with magic like that, and not pay something. Angering the witch is never a good idea, so I don't need to tell you twice not to do that without good reason - but it may come to that. She might loose something on us worse than an outhouse burned down, and we can't stand for that."

With that, he pauses, the formality slips a little, and he says more awkwardly
"Any questions?"

Mithric Gunn
2012-04-20, 01:31 PM
"What you just described are the signs of an undisciplined practitioner of the arcane arts. Probably a sorceror or witch, though it is possible that the culprit is an untrained mage.
No trained wizard would use magic so recklessly without pressing need."

Artemis thinks for a moment, then says, "I'm not sure whether it could be the Witch, either. She may lack formal training, but one would think she has enough experience to avoid these kinds of effects."

Hullabaloo
2012-04-20, 01:47 PM
Sosrey, seated next to Artemis, sat silently and awkwardly though dinner. Up to this point in dinner he did not willingly start any discussions besides asking a server for Ale instead of Wine.

When the topic of a gold payment came up, he perked up, but at the suggestion of not causing an uproar, his shoulders slumped a bit.

shugyosha
2012-04-20, 01:50 PM
Savien

Savien tasted the wine with a sip and appreciated the bouquet with a sniff. He wasn't a culture man but he knew what to do in polite company.

When Artemis spoke Savien crinkled his nose. He never had a great fondness to the man. It wasn't something that Artemis had done, it was just the man natural mannerisms, it reflected his arcane training. Savien trusted what he understood, and Artemis knew things he could never understand.

With a huff Savien interjects, "Yar not 'specting me ta believe this is all been an accident. I've been tell ya we should have driven that witch out of here years ago."

In a moment of sober thought he adds quietly "Although why she'd be doing this now is a good question."

Beowulf DW
2012-04-20, 03:13 PM
Cornelius sits up and squares his shoulders, trying to look the part of a servant of the empire.

"Sir Mayor, have you confronted the witch about these incidents?"

Hullabaloo
2012-04-20, 03:42 PM
Sosrey speaks, his mind not quite catching up to his mouth, realizing after the fact that the scared man he referes to is in the room.
"This does not sound like something a mayor would confront a dangerous person about. To scary and risky. Why hasn't the militia dealt with this? This seems like what they are meant for, why the dinner for the rest of us?

raspberrybadger
2012-04-20, 04:01 PM
The mayor answers:

"Ah, see, you all raise some good points. We don't know why she'd start now, if it is her. We don't even know it is her. If it isn't, we really don't want to anger her. I'm not about to ask her - if she hasn't done this, she'd do something unfortunate. Even more so if she has. And I can't exactly order the militia as such to find out who is messing with magic. No, best to have this handled quietly. If you can think of a way to ask the old lady and not be blasted on the spot, excellent - but I can't see myself accusing her openly. If there's some way I can help, that wouldn't be noticed, let me know."

Beowulf DW
2012-04-20, 05:09 PM
"An empire that is not built on justice is as a house built upon sand. These are serious accusations being laid on the witch. We need to hear her side of the story."

shugyosha
2012-04-20, 05:50 PM
Savien

Savien's superstitions get the better of him,"Justice? She's a witch!"

Beowulf DW
2012-04-21, 12:33 AM
Cornelius eyes Savien with a slight hostility.

"What of it? Until we can prove that she has broken the laws of the land, she is entitled to the protection of the law."

Rook.Gamer
2012-04-21, 08:49 AM
Dyson shift uncomfortably with the tensions rising in the room. Please, everyone. Let's keep our manners, remember we're the Mayor's guests.

It is more then sensible to send a small group to visit the witch and discuss with her our concerns of these recent events. Not to accuse her directly, better to ask her for her help in the matter and read her reaction to the news. This provides a safe means of exchange of information between the Mayor and the witch without putting the villiage in additional unneccesary danger.

Once we have a meeting with the witch we can discuss our next course of action with more insight to the facts at hand. All the while keeping the situation from escalating out of hand or endangering the fair citizens.

Sir I for one accept the job.

shugyosha
2012-04-21, 09:05 AM
Savien

"But she's a witch," he repeats expressing his disbelief in the others that they would threat her with such kindness.

Hullabaloo
2012-04-21, 09:15 AM
I for one, would like to see just what this witch can actually do.

Beowulf DW
2012-04-21, 09:43 AM
Cornelius bows slightly to Dyson.

"Thank you, sir. That sounds like a sensible plan."

Turning to Savien, Cornelius says, "Witches are people, too."

raspberrybadger
2012-04-21, 05:47 PM
The mayor replies:

"Sounds like a good start. As for what the witch can do, she can certainly heal. She's got a cat to spy for her, and do who knows what else. She's been known to sell remedies and, ah, problem solving concoctions. Reliable rumour has her able to disappear somehow and make fog come up, though there's certainly enough of that in her bog. Somewhat less reliable are tales of enchanted sleep, illusions, and some sort of love charm. Plus, of course, she lives in the marsh, which is dangerous in it's own right, and she's still here. I'm not sure anyone's ever asked her just what all she can do."

"So, everyone agreed to start with this plan? Or do we have other suggestions?"

Beowulf DW
2012-04-21, 06:02 PM
"I agree to this plan. Shall we set out on the morrow?"

Mithric Gunn
2012-04-21, 06:12 PM
"Mayor, Dyson's plan sounds like the most prudent course of action at this time."
Artemis turns toward Savien, "Do not mistake lack of discipline for an accident. A caster without discipline is still responsible for their actions. Accidents strike without mercy, and you cannot do anything about them."
Artemis' eyes seem haunted.

Rook.Gamer
2012-04-21, 07:37 PM
Tomorrow sounds like a fine start. Shall we agree to meet at the edge of town at dawn then? This seems to be how these things are done, doesn't it? That is if you don't fall into that "High Noon" philosophy? Dyson chuckles a bit before wondering if he should have a second glass of wine.

Beowulf DW
2012-04-21, 08:31 PM
"Dawn would be best. I'd rather pass through this marsh that Mayor Jonas mentioned during the day."

Cornelius excuses himself and heads for I'll head for wherever I'm supposed to be staying now. The church? An inn?

Mithric Gunn
2012-04-21, 08:55 PM
As the cleric gets up to leave, Artemis says, "Cleric, I understand you have recently arrived and may not have had time to arrange your living quarters. Please allow me to extend my hospitality. I have a spare bed."

Hullabaloo
2012-04-21, 10:16 PM
Sosrey, probably a bit drinker then the rest stands to leave for his shelter.

High noon is a good time for killings, but for starting a trip first light works best. Make sure a cat does not steal your dreams tonight. Ha!"

Sos's tent is a bit past Artemis's and likely walks in silence with him (and the cleric if he is going that way as well).

shugyosha
2012-04-21, 11:49 PM
Savien

"I'm going too. Just to make sure she doesn't turn you all into frogs and to make sure none of you are in this with her."

Beowulf DW
2012-04-22, 10:35 AM
Cornelius smiles gratefully and says, "Thank you, Artemis, the church sometimes forgets little details like lodgings."

Rook.Gamer
2012-04-22, 11:33 AM
Dyson too bids farewell after thanking his host for the fine food and wine. Then he heads home for the night to catch a few winks.

raspberrybadger
2012-04-22, 08:26 PM
As everyone takes their leave, the mayor sees you to the door, saying "Do let me know when you've got answers, or if you need something. And do see if you can avoid an uproar."

Night passes, and dawn breaks. It's a fine spring morning, promising to be warm and humid. So far there isn't a hint of a breeze, and the clouds look unlikely to produce rain. Most families are busying themselves with their work. While the people make some noise, most of the sound is coming from birds, both chickens and songbirds. A hint of wood smoke slowly begins to make itself felt. Morning in the village has begun.

The witch's marsh can't be seen from the village because of a few forested hills, but the path that leads there is clearly visible, though it quickly disappears into the trees. The journey through the forest will take perhaps 15 minutes, so there is time to plan along the way, if you are so inclined.

Mithric Gunn
2012-04-22, 08:33 PM
Artemis awakes in the early morning, feeds Vivia, his horse, studies his spellbooks to prepare his spells for the day, then begans to cook breakfast for him self and his guest.

Beowulf DW
2012-04-22, 08:58 PM
Cornelius commences with his usual morning prayer routine, meditating on the principles of the empire. Cornelius thanks his host for the breakfast, and says a brief grace before digging in.

Hullabaloo
2012-04-22, 09:17 PM
Sos arises early, excited to be back on the road with something to do. He we growing tired of the same job day after day, with no changes in sight. Hauling rocks, and protecting metals moved back and forth was something he was good at, and proud of that fact, but it did not latch on to him as he hoped it might.

He has a quick breakfast, and throws all of his possessions on his back and hurries to the meeting point, likely before others are even up. There he pack and repacks his back, and double checks the fit of his sword.

Mithric Gunn
2012-04-22, 09:24 PM
After breakfast, Artemis will gear up and head towards the meeting place.

shugyosha
2012-04-23, 08:25 AM
Savien

The archer wakes refreshed. He breaks his fast with a hearty meal. HE does his best not to rush, but he is excited. They were about to do something about the witch. Once he finishes he grabs his gear and heads to find the others.

Hullabaloo
2012-04-23, 09:37 AM
As individuals show up Sos is a bit more engaging then he was at the more formal dinner party. While waiting he grabs a small vine and ties it in a 3 foot loop. Upon Artemis showing up

"Artemis, lift that rock up again without your hands."

If obliged, he stares at it for 15 seconds or so, then quickly, without warning, throws the 3 foot loop over the rock. An obvious look of disappointment when a hidden string does not end up being the culprit. He then shoots a small smile at Artemis.

"I'll figure it out..."

Mithric Gunn
2012-04-23, 12:16 PM
Artemis gives Sosrey a strange look, but obliges.

Rook.Gamer
2012-04-23, 06:42 PM
Dyson starts his morning much like most though a tad earlier because of his excitement at what is to come. After having a few egs and some bacon from the local farm he enjoys the lightening of the sky from his porch while drinking a cup of tea. Then he checks his pack once more, prepared the night before, then heads to the stable and collects his pony and his mount's other traveling gear. After prepping his stead and stowing all of his extra gear in the saddle bag, Dyson leads his pony towards the meeting point as planned.

Upon arriving, likely towards the end of the group, but still on time, Dyson greets his fellows, Good morn to you all, I trust you slept well as I did, when the excitement for our venture didn't stir of course?

Beowulf DW
2012-04-23, 07:02 PM
Cornelius, used to rather strict schedules from his time in the seminary, arrives awake, though not particularly energetic.

"A fine morning to you all, gentlemen."

shugyosha
2012-04-24, 09:32 AM
Savien

"Let's get on our way," the rugged man says impatiently.

Hullabaloo
2012-04-24, 09:41 AM
As a standing rule, Sosrey will always be happy to be in front/first though a door, but rarely will take the initiative to select a direction or speed. When asked, or possible ordered (depending on the person and Sos's disposition) will go where told. Wary of strangers (ie anyone not in the party) and of the road dangers in general, will have his sword drawn a large amount of general travel time.

Double checking his straps, Sosrey shoulders his bag, looks at his new found companions "Tally Ho!" perhaps a bit to eagerly for those that are not morning persons.

Mithric Gunn
2012-04-24, 09:44 AM
Artemis Will begin to walk down the trail, staff in hand, next to Sosrey, allowing the others to file in behind.

Beowulf DW
2012-04-24, 10:46 AM
Cornelius takes up a position behind Artemis. His morning star is still on his belt, but his shield is strapped to his arm, just in case.

raspberrybadger
2012-04-24, 01:03 PM
As you get closer to the marsh, the sounds of town quickly fade, but the sounds of blackbirds can be heard up ahead. The forest here is dark, as the sun is not yet high in the sky.

Just a little before the marsh begins, Savien notices some tracks leaving the path, but he's fairly sure that they are those of a fairly tall man, either somewhat heavy or carrying some gear. Those lead off the path on what seems to be a regular animal trail - there are tracks of several kinds of animal there as well.

Up ahead is the marsh. There are few trees there, though bushes and mist keep you from seeing too far ahead on the path. Right where the path enters the marsh, a simple sign has been set up using some sticks and a piece of slate. Written on it in chalk is the following:

GO NO FURTHER HERE TODAY - THE WITCH

Beowulf DW
2012-04-24, 02:06 PM
"When she says "today" do you think she means that we should camp here and start again tomorrow?"

shugyosha
2012-04-24, 02:19 PM
Savien

"You think she is expecting us? And this sign will change tomorrow?" Savien says incredulously.

Savien will be towards the front, maybe the second position.

Hullabaloo
2012-04-24, 02:28 PM
"Interesting, Savien. But for that to happen the witch would have to come here to change the sign. Perhaps we should set a trap for when she arrives? Or, maybe she means 'Go no further' " pause "Here today -The Witch" and she won't be around tomorrow. Which means we better go find her today only if we want that gold."

Beowulf DW
2012-04-24, 08:56 PM
I think Cornelius may have taken Wisdom damage just now.

Cornelius feels a slight headache after listening to Sos.

"Uh, maybe we should just keep going, then."

Mithric Gunn
2012-04-24, 09:14 PM
"Savien, never underestimate a witch's power. That said, I think camping here would be a good choice. I do not think I would like to confront the witch in the dark, in case she isn't friendly. And tomorrow we can go forward, whether the sign has changed, or not."

Hullabaloo
2012-04-24, 09:35 PM
What time of day is it? Is it worth checking the footprints today?

Rook.Gamer
2012-04-24, 09:46 PM
Our journey has just begun. I shall venture forth a short distance and see what is to be seen. If the witch should strike me down by some charm or glyph you may feel free not to follow me. Otherwise we should make our way further into the marshes if we wish to meet our villiage witch.. Dyson walks carefully ahead beyond the sign and into the swamp looking for other signs of recent activity nearby.

raspberrybadger
2012-04-24, 11:04 PM
The shadows are still long on the ground and the sun is still low in the sky. Off to the right of the path is a blaze of light where the sun reflects off the mostly shallow water, except where the bushes make patches of relative darkness. The blackbirds are still noisily proclaiming their virtue as potential mates. The day continues to be rather humid, and the mist shows no signs of burning off any time soon.

Dyson moves stealthily down the trail. He doesn't see any recent tracks, but sixty feet down the path his carefulness is repaid. Something is off about the mud on the tiny brown leaves on the path he was about to step on. There's some sort of trap there. Just then, Dyson sees something moving, up in the air, to the right of the path. Just the barest hint of the air moving gave it away, as there's nothing really to be seen.

Rook.Gamer
2012-04-25, 06:29 AM
Dyson carefully withdraws back to the grojup keeping an eye out for movement especially where he saw something before and reports to the gorup what he found.

Mithric Gunn
2012-04-25, 06:42 AM
"We'd best continue on, then, though we might want to make sure that trap isn't going to hurt anyone. The villager's sometimes come to see the witch, and I wouldn't want any of them hurt."

Hullabaloo
2012-04-25, 09:44 AM
Ah, just noticed this, an early start to the day and a short walk means there is still time to do something before night
The forest here is dark, as the sun is not yet high in the sky.

"Agreed, those tracks may have been a villager carrying wood, we would not want him to stumble on a trap. Although, I don't believe many villages with good intents step foot in the marsh."

Hullabaloo
2012-04-25, 11:17 AM
After saying that Sosrey looks at the sign for a min, deep in thought

"Savien, didn't the mayor say that people come to the witch for healing sometimes? Is there any stories about people getting caught in traps on their way there or back?"

raspberrybadger
2012-04-25, 12:48 PM
Savien

Savien replies "I haven't heard of any. The sign makes enough sense. The trap makes me suspicious."

Beowulf DW
2012-04-25, 02:45 PM
"It's clear that the witch doesn't want anyone approaching her. She is likely aware of the events in the village, though whether she is guilty, or fears being seen as guilty, I can't say."

Rook.Gamer
2012-04-25, 08:21 PM
There is also a small possibility that the trap may not have been set by the witch. One would think the superstitousness of the typical villiager would be enough to make them heed the sign in ordinary circumstances. Additionally, we must keep an open mind and not fixate on how things appear and be sure we find the truth behind these events Dyson moves back ahead to see if he can disarm the trap to avoid an problemsin the future.

Beowulf DW
2012-04-25, 08:35 PM
Cornelius moves forward with Dyson, mindful enough to keep several yards between himself and the rogue. Cornelius hefts his morning star as he moves forward.

"You mentioned that you saw movement, didn't you Dyson? I have a spell that could help light our way, but it might give away our position. I defer to your judgement."

Hullabaloo
2012-04-25, 08:48 PM
Sosrey moves forward as well, Falcion drawn, walking abreast of Cornelius, always keeping a sharp eye on their flank.

Mithric Gunn
2012-04-26, 10:04 AM
Artemis will walk alongside, staff still in hand.

raspberrybadger
2012-04-26, 05:51 PM
No-one can see the mysterious source of movement up in the air now. Nothing much happens as the group moves forward, except the blackbirds have gotten quieter now.

Dyson is able to see what the trap is now. It's a fairly straightforward bear trap, though the way it was concealed on the path is clever enough. After studying it for a moment, he gently pushes on one of the pins to disable the thing, but nothing happens. There's no reason he can't try again, or just bash the thing from a safe distance to break it or set it off, but the trap has defeated his first attempt.

Rook.Gamer
2012-04-27, 07:30 AM
Dyson informs the others quietly that the trap is still armed, but warns agaist setting it off as it might draw unwanted attention. we should be certain that we are alone before we spring the trap. I should think it would make a rather stupendous amount of noise. Dyson begins then to scount around the area as much and as carefully as he can to find out if there is any further danger.

raspberrybadger
2012-04-27, 10:10 AM
In the immediate vicinity of the path, Dyson sees nothing except some tracks Savien says are those of a giant toad.

Moving ahead on the path, Dyson finds a second bear trap, and up ahead is a deep pool - it looks like it's right in the path, but the path seems to go around it. Above the pool he catches another glimpse of something he can't see. It's five feet over the pool, at the near edge.

Mithric Gunn
2012-04-27, 10:33 AM
If Dyson says what he is seeing, or if he looks attentively at the air:
Artemis casts Detect Magic.

Hullabaloo
2012-04-27, 02:55 PM
Sosrey, after hiking his pants up a bit to keep them dry, moves to the edge of the pool to have a look. I've never seen a giant toad he whispers.

perception
[roll0]

Mithric Gunn
2012-04-27, 06:00 PM
"Wait! The pools enchanted." Let me analyze it further before you go wading in. Artemis concentrates, muttering a spell.
1d20=10 spellcraft to see if i can tell what kind of enchantment it is, or what spell

raspberrybadger
2012-04-27, 11:00 PM
What Artemis sees:

Nothing besides what the detect magic already revealed, except that there has clearly been influence of Elemental Water here. What exactly the magic will do or has done is unknown.

Mithric Gunn
2012-04-28, 09:51 AM
"Hmm, I can't tell exactly what it is, but I don't think its dangerous."

Beowulf DW
2012-04-28, 11:17 AM
Let's see if I can help Artemis.

Cornelius casts detect magic on the pool.

Spellcraft check as well: [roll0]

Hullabaloo
2012-04-28, 04:13 PM
Sosrey gives a loud "Yawn" and then whispers to Dyson
"how long will it take them to confirm its water you think? I know I would love to try roasted giant toad legs for lunch" . Taking a few practice swings with his sword.

Beowulf DW
2012-04-28, 04:23 PM
Cornelius glances back at Sosrey and says, "Appearances can be deceiving, sword boy. There are powers out there that most people can barely imagine, much less comprehend."

Rook.Gamer
2012-04-29, 12:50 PM
Dyson smirks at Sosrey's comment then after Cornelius chimes in, I hope these powers can imagine tasty frog legs. Of course Cornelius is right, as any chef will tell you it's all about the presentation, I suspect its even more so with sorcery

raspberrybadger
2012-04-30, 11:11 AM
You hear a faint muttering from the same place as whatever it is you can't see, still just above the close edge of the pool.

Artemis and Cornelius:

It's definitely spellcasting. The language is not like any you've studied as part of spellcasting (which is definitely unusual), and you can't see any gestures, so it's hard to tell what is going on. Artemis has a detect magic still running (though that is somewhat less useful because of the background magic of the pool), and he's got the theory that the pauses between arcane words may still be the same even if the words are different. Both of those confirm that the spell being cast is Invisibility.

Beowulf DW
2012-04-30, 04:33 PM
"Be careful, everyone! Whatever it is has cast an Invisibility spell."

Mithric Gunn
2012-04-30, 05:20 PM
Artemis quickly focuses on the area, and mutters a few words under his breath.
Casting Grease at the area the muttering is coming from.:smallbiggrin: Then I'll pull my tent out of my saddlebags, and throw the canvas over the area.

Rook.Gamer
2012-04-30, 07:15 PM
Dyson draws his sword carefully with one hand and then pulls out a smokestick with the other. He moves carefully to one side to try to position himself upwind of the disturbance and readies to activate the smokestick if he thinks it will give the group a chance to reveal the invisible creature or if he thinks there's a chance the creature will attack.

Hullabaloo
2012-04-30, 09:41 PM
Sosrey moves his imposing body forward, stepping just past Artemis as he throws his canvas at the hidden creature. Sword drawn in both hands, stretching to every inch of his 6'2 body, he shifts his feet, trying to get a better purchase.

To himself "Hiding.... cowards...."

shugyosha
2012-05-01, 10:23 AM
Savien

Sosrey gives a loud "Yawn" and then whispers to Dyson
"how long will it take them to confirm its water you think? I know I would love to try roasted giant toad legs for lunch" . Taking a few practice swings with his sword.

Savien gives his unsolicited opinion, "You wouldn't want to unless you have to. You have to boil it for hours to leach out it poisons and meat tastes muddy,"

When the word of 'invisible' comes up he brings to bear his ready bow. He scans the area for what might be movement in the smoke or in the puddle of grease.

[roll0] perception

raspberrybadger
2012-05-01, 12:42 PM
The canvas flies true, perfectly spreading out into a square. As it lands, it covers a slightly bumpy sphere shaped thing 1 1/2 feet wide, and hovering in the air five feet above the surface of the water.

That counts as the action for Artemis this round. Everyone else may post an action, which will all resolve at the same time. When everyone has posted, then I post and say what happened.

If you want to hit the thing in melee without a reach weapon, roll a DC 14 acrobatics check to do so without touching any of the water from the pool.

Feel free to post speech encouraging/discouraging some course of action.

shugyosha
2012-05-01, 01:27 PM
Savien

Watching the canvas fall on the sphere, Savien marks his target and releases two quick arrows.

arrow 1
[roll0] to hit
[roll1] damage
[roll2] crit
[roll3] crit damage

arrow 2
[roll4] to hit
[roll5] damage
[roll6] crit
[roll7] crit damage

Hullabaloo
2012-05-01, 01:52 PM
The moment a target is viable, Sos jumps into action. Moving quicker then you would have expected the uptonow lumbering fellow to move, Sosrey sprints around the edge of the pool, attempting to avoid getting his feet wet

acrobatics to avoid vs DC14
[roll0]

On reaching his prey, his face seems to distort a bit, losing the very human features that have been prevalent up to this point in your short time knowing him, and gaining a fire in his eyes. He eagerly reaches out to grab the loose bit of canvas that falls over the... thing....

free action: Rage Standard: Grapple
Combat maneuver roll:
[roll1]

Rook.Gamer
2012-05-01, 11:27 PM
Dyson will hold his position and wait to see the outcome of the initial attacks ready to act if the thing should move away from the pool.

Mithric Gunn
2012-05-02, 05:52 PM
Artemis waits to see what happens. If Sosrey succeeds in grappling his target, Artemis will cast a spell and then move towards the grapplers.Cast Enlarge Person on Sosrey if he succeeds on the grapple.

Beowulf DW
2012-05-02, 07:08 PM
Cornelius hangs back, raising his holy symbol and chanting quietly.

Casting Divine Favor on myself. Holding position.

raspberrybadger
2012-05-03, 12:38 AM
Savien drops two arrows right into the lump. The first arrow twists oddly upon impact, and warps into uselessness before it can do any damage. The second arrow is likewise warped, but the arrow strikes fast enough to embed itself thoroughly in the lump before this can happen. An unearthly wail explodes from the lump, much louder than most creatures of its size could produce. At the sound, birds flock up into the air, fleeing in all directions around you.

Sosrey charges forward, trying to grab the creature using the canvas. He gets a solid grab on the creature quite readily - it is weaker and smaller. Unexpectedly, though the creature presents a spherical shape under the canvas, when grabbed it seems to have a quite distinct upper and lower portion, with articulation between the halves.

Unfortunately, his efforts to avoid touching the water do not meet with such success. First one toe touches the water, and the water reacts by sending forth tendrils of seemingly animate water to grab the leg. Then, as he establishes his hold on the lump, the other leg goes completely into the water. The edge of the pond is sloped, and completely smooth, so Sosrey finds himself unable to keep from slipping further in. As he disturbs more of the water, everyone else sees the water producing more grabbing tendrils, which seem to be going after both the lump and Sosrey in equal measure.

Sosrey will need to make a DC 20 swim check each round, unless he wants to go under. If he succeeds, he can move to the edge of the pool, though climbing out while grappling could be tricky. If he fails by 5 or more, he sinks below the surface. The check is so difficult because it's hard to swim while the water is attacking you. The water hasn't actually grappled Sosrey yet, but it's certainly trying.

Also, Sosrey's attack/CMB rolls are at -4 and his non grapple damage is halved. Those penalties go to -2 if he makes it to the side, sinks to the bottom, or makes his swim check but doesn't make it to the side. I'm not 100% sure that's what's supposed to happen, but that's what I'm going with.

Sosrey loses his dex bonus and 2 AC/CMD unless he makes his swim check, or deliberately sinks to the bottom.

Missile fire at the thing is at a serious penalty right now. Melee requires that balance check, unless Sosrey moves it to the edge.

Cornelius calls upon the rituals of his faith, and feels the favour of the Empire settling upon him for a time.

As Sosrey falls into the water, the lump tries to twist in his arms in an effort to escape. It fails miserably.

Hullabaloo
2012-05-03, 08:38 AM
Sosrey's "RAWrrrrrrrr" while approaching quickly turns to a "Gotca...Uh... gurgle.... HELP... gurgle" Holding onto the canvas, hoping it floats, he squeezes tighter and kicks with his enraged legs towards shore.

Continue rage, Maintain grapple with -4 mod
[roll0]
swim towards shore. If I'm close enough, I don't want to pull myself out, just use the land to help keep me afloat and gain a footing while grappling. I understand this might take more then 1 round/roll.
[roll1]

shugyosha
2012-05-03, 10:18 AM
Savien

"Stupid", the archer mutters "Someone a rope. We need to pull Sosrey out of the water."

Mithric Gunn
2012-05-03, 07:19 PM
Artemis grabs his rope, loops it around his saddlehorn, and throws it towards Sosrey. Once Sosrey has a firm grip, and hopefully a better grip on the firgure beneath the canvas, he'll pull him to shore.
He shouts, "Loop the rope around it and hold on!"

Rook.Gamer
2012-05-05, 12:34 PM
Dyson pulls his rope out of his saddle bag and readies it for a second line or to tie up whatever they might've caught once Sosrey is safely out of the water.

raspberrybadger
2012-05-06, 01:07 AM
Sosrey's strength is sufficient to keep him afloat, but the watery tentacles seem bent on keeping him from the edge. For all that, they seem unable to actually grab him. Sosrey is only able to keep his grasp on the canvas and its contents because he's already established a good grip.

Meanwhile, Artemis is able to toss in a rope, and Sosrey can get it between his arms. It's not tied around anything or anyone, but he can get at it if he wants it.

All of a sudden, the contents of the canvas switches tactics, and stops trying to escape physically. Sosrey feels a brief pressure on his mind, but he instinctually pushes back and the feeling fades almost as soon as it starts.

Beowulf DW
2012-05-06, 08:38 AM
Cornelius shouts some encouragement to Sosrey.

Inspiring Word on Sosrey. +2 morale bonus on attack rolls, skill checks, ability checks, and saving throws for 1 round.

Hullabaloo
2012-05-06, 10:08 AM
Sosrey, although never the brightest in class, knows when he is fighting on uneven ground. And mind games while swimming is quite uneven in his opinion.

Keeping a firm hold on the creature he wraps his forearm quickly around the rope and gives it a tug to make sure it is attached at the other end.

Rage still going. Maintain grapple
[roll0]
Kick towards shore/stay afloat
[roll1]

shugyosha
2012-05-06, 10:24 AM
Savien

Quickly dropping his weapon he races to the rope and begins to pull.

Strength check to pull the rope
[roll0]

Mithric Gunn
2012-05-06, 11:15 AM
"C'mon girl," Artemis says to his horse, having her pull the rope looped around her saddlehorn.
Strength check [roll0]

Rook.Gamer
2012-05-07, 06:56 PM
Dyson stands ready with his sword in case the thing under the canvas does something to warrant an attack.

raspberrybadger
2012-05-08, 12:09 PM
Savien and Artemis manage to pull Sosrey to shore. Unfortunately, the lump in the canvas has an opportunity to escape, and does not come along. Sosrey keeps himself above the surface of the water, but he slips up in keeping the thing grabbed. All through this, Sosrey feels the protection and guidance the leadership the Empire provides flowing through him, making his way sure.

As soon as Sosrey is out, the water quiets immediately, and the pool is flat, albeit with ripples from the recent struggle.

Above the pool though, is a creature of horror. Somehow, a mouth is hovering there. There are teeth there, many teeth, 8 inch long ones. And jaws. And not much else can be seen. The whole thing is still vaguely ball shaped, but shape no longer seems to properly describe it. Colour even less so. Except for the white and red teeth, the colour might be black, but that's more what your mind flees to to avoid thinking about the twisting darkness that somehow changes every moment. Whatever happened to those arrows seems to be happening with this thing at every moment.

From the creature, words of power are heard again (Artemis and Cornelius recognize them as another invisibility spell). Suddenly, the creature disappears, and a humanoid form with short pointy spiral shells coming up out of it's head appears in the water below it. The pool does not seem to react to the thing in the slightest.

Mithric Gunn
2012-05-08, 06:16 PM
Watch out for the mephhits acid breath!" Artemis calls out, pointing to the creature arising from the pool.

shugyosha
2012-05-08, 11:48 PM
Savien

The huntsman runs back to his weapon and readies another volley of arrows.

Rook.Gamer
2012-05-10, 11:04 PM
Dyson readies himself for a fight after taking a few stgeps back from the demon.

raspberrybadger
2012-05-12, 12:56 PM
Savien rushes back to his weapon, and picks it up, readying it for use.

A cone of bright blue acid bursts from the mephit's mouth, covering Sosrey, Artemis, and the horse. Sosrey is able to twist so that his face isn't hit, but Artemis takes the full blast. The horse runs off. The tent and 20 feet or so of rope get burned by the acid badly enough to be pretty useless. Dyson and Savien have backed out of the way, while Cornelius was already out of range.

The mouth darts down at Savien, and takes a vicious bite out of his shoulder. As it does, it shimmers into visibility, allowing Savien to see the twisting, black rounded bulk of the thing that is biting him. The thing is hovering in mid air with no visible means of support. After the first shock of pain, Savien notices that the area around the bite wound feels foul somehow.

Sosrey takes 2 acid damage, Artemis takes 5.

Savien takes 4 damage, and needs to make a fort save.

shugyosha
2012-05-12, 04:00 PM
Fort save
[roll0]

Rook.Gamer
2012-05-12, 05:08 PM
Dyson takes another couple of steps back from the creature, then dropping his sword he pulls out his crossbow and a bolt and begins loading it cursing under his breath.

shugyosha
2012-05-12, 05:27 PM
Savien

Taking a step back he releases two more arrows at the gaping maw of the creature.

5ft step away from creature and rapid shot the creature
[roll0] attack 1
[roll1] damage 1
[roll2] crit 1
[roll3] crit damage 1

[roll4] attack 2
[roll5] damage 2
[roll6] crit 2
[roll7] crit damage 2

Beowulf DW
2012-05-13, 09:19 PM
Cursing his lack of a ranged weapon, Cornelius steps back and waits.

Hullabaloo
2012-05-14, 12:17 AM
Sosrey decides that time for hugging is over, and that this creature may mean business. Letting out a deep guttural "RAWWWWR!! he takes a powerful swing at the creature.

Free action: Continue Rage
Acrobatics check if need be: [roll0]

Power attack swing with his falcion:
Attack: [roll1]
Dmg: [roll2]
Crit Confirm: [roll3]
Crit Dmg: [roll4]

raspberrybadger
2012-05-15, 01:21 AM
Sosrey takes a step forward, throwing his weight into a powerful blow aimed straight at the mephit, which dodges at the last moment. As he approaches, his feet touch the water again, and the pool begins to send forth thin tentacles of water as before.

Savien again takes aim at his attacker, and again both his shots land true. Once again, his first arrow is twisted into uselessness by the black wrongness of the creature, and once again his second arrow is able to do some damage before it too is ruined.

The mephit does not retaliate, seeming to take no action.

The mouth flies upwards, it's teeth flashing as it again utters words in a tongue strange even to those here familiar with magic.

Artemis is able to reason out from the rhythm of the words what the spell must be: Lesser Confusion

Savien needs to make a will save.

shugyosha
2012-05-15, 09:22 AM
Savien

Will save
[roll0]

Hullabaloo
2012-05-17, 08:50 AM
Sos wheels around from his miss, spinning the momentium into another powerful attack against the mephit. He then takes a five foot step back, hoping to draw it away from the water and onto more favorable ground.

Free Action: Continue Rage
Acrobatics Check : [roll0]

Power Attack: [roll1]
dmg: [roll2]
crit confirm: [roll3]
crit dmg: [roll4]

Hullabaloo
2012-05-21, 08:40 AM
Sosrey glances over his shoulder, making sure he is not alone facing these two monstrosities.