PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 Monster] Linebreaker Lizard (aka Styracosaurus)

Zombimode
2012-04-20, 05:13 PM
3 metric tons of muscle, thick scaly hide and a massive horn can leave any warrior shaken - at least those who find themselves on the wrong side of the battlefield. Although herbivores these huge reptiles sport a nasty attitude. It didn't take long for the Lizard Folk of the Empire of Silur-Cha to utilize them as terrifying beasts of war. Since their introduction in the Empires forces, they have redefined the term "shock cavalry". A single linebreaker rider can break a formation - a whole unit will just steamroll over any opposition.

The Styracosaurus, or 'Linebreaker' in my setting, was always one of my favorite land-based dinosaur. Its unique skull configuration is awe-inspiring and terrifying together. While the Triceratops is even larger arguably more badass, it already was everybodies darling when I was a kid and I wanted to be different :smalltongue:

Sadly there are no stats for theses magnificent beasts in 3.5, so I tried my hands on homebrewing them.

I will provide two entries: the first is the basic, wild, untrained animal. The second is just the basic version with the Warbeast template from the Monster Manual 2. I include it as a showcase for what is to be expected from a true Linebreaker mount.

Linebreaker Lizard
Large animal
Init -1; Senses Listen +8, Spot +7, Low-light Vision, Scent
AC 17 (size -1, dex -1, natural +9), touch 8, flat-footed 17
hp 95 (10 HD)
Fort +12, Ref +6, Will +4
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Melee gore +14 (1d10+10)
Space/Reach 10 ft./5 ft.
Base Atk +7; Grp +18
Special Attacks Powerful Charge, Trample 2d8+10
Abilities Str 24, Dex 9, Con 21, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 7
SQ Low-light Vision, Scent
Feats Power Attack, Improved Bull-Rush, Knock-Back (Races of Stone p. 142), Improved Overrun
Skills Listen +8, Spot +7

Powerful Charge (Ex): When a Linebreaker Lizard charges, its gore attack deals 2d10+14 points of damage.
Trample (Ex): Reflex half DC 22. The save DC is Strength-based.

Linebreaker, trained
Warbeast Linebreaker Lizard
Large animal
Init -1; Senses Listen +10, Spot +10, Low-light Vision, Scent
AC 17 (size -1, dex -1, natural +9), touch 8, flat-footed 17
hp 126 (11 HD)
Fort +14, Ref +6, Will +5
Speed 40 ft. (8 squares)
Melee gore +16 (1d10+12)
Space/Reach 10 ft./5 ft.
Base Atk +8; Grp +20
Special Attacks Powerful Charge, Trample 2d8+10
Abilities Str 27, Dex 9, Con 24, Int 1, Wis 14, Cha 7
SQ Low-light Vision, Scent, Combative Mount
Feats Power Attack, Improved Bull-Rush, Knock-Back (Races of Stone p. 142), Improved Overrun
Skills Listen +10, Spot +10

Powerful Charge (Ex): When a Linebreaker Lizard charges, its gore attack deals 2d10+16 points of damage.
Trample (Ex): Reflex half DC 23. The save DC is Strength-based.
Combative Mount (Ex): A rider on a trained warbeast
mount gets a +2 circumstance bonus on all Ride checks. A
trained warbeast is proficient with light, medium, and heavy
armor. A vermin warbeast, being mindless and therefore
untrainable, cannot have this ability.

Comments: Its pretty much a down-scaled SRD-Triceratops. "Large" may be a bit to small for the Styracosaurus (with its 5,5 m length), but D&D size categories are relatively abstract and don't mesh too well with actual sizes.
Its tactic against single targets is to charge and knock-back the target, denying full attacks. Groups of smaller enemies are trampled. I'm not sure if a rider with the Trample feat could actually use overrun and the mounts trample at the same time. If not, Improved Overrun is a wasted feat for the Linebreaker and should be replaced. Any ideas?

Also, regarding CR:
The Triceratops is CR 9, but using Vorpal Tribbles formula, they are CR 12 (which strikes me as over CR'ed for what is essentially just a very simple melee brute).
Using the same formula the basic Linebreaker comes out as CR 8. Again, that seems a bit much. Since its an animal its Int score is a huge neon-lit "hit me!" sign, especially considering my group currently contains a Lurk...
But then again, I'm terrible at eyeballing CR.

Comments? Critique? Ideas? :smallsmile:

Debihuman
2012-04-21, 10:09 AM
I'll take a stab at this. It is harder to critique monsters if you aren't following the format in the MM or the online SRD (see here http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm), because it lists everything by line.

Here is one with a complete stat block. I purposefully kept their advancement lower than the triceratops' advancement, but feel free to change it. If you decide to keep the neck guard (see below)l, change CR to 7. Otherwise, it looks really good.

Linebreaker Lizard
Large animal
Hit Dice: 10d8+50 (95 hp)
Initiative: -1
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 17 (size -1, Dex -1, natural +9), touch 8, flat-footed 17
BAB/Grapple: +7/+18
Attack: Gore + 14 melee (1d10+10)
Full Attack: Gore +14 melee (1d10+10)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Powerful Charge, Trample (2d8+10)
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +6, Will +4
Abilities: Str 24, Dex 9, Con 21, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 7
Skills: Listen +8, Spot +7
Feats: Power Attack, Improved Bull-Rush, Knock-Back (Races of Stone p. 142), Improved Overrun
Environment: Any warm land
Organization: Solitary, family or herd (5-12)
Challenge Rating: 6
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 11-15 HD (Large), 16-30 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: --

I noticed that you did not mention the neck frill. Granted, there is some debate on how the creature used it, but it could be used defensively if someone were attacking from the creature's rear. This is how an alternative version used them (I would like to give credit for this but I've forgotten who the poster was).

Neck Guard (Ex): Styracosaurus has an impressive set of horns lacing its crest. While these are not effective for attacking other creatures, they do give a nasty surprise to any creature foolish enough to attack from the rear or flank from the creature. Anyone who attacks a styracosaurus from the rear or from a flank deals normal damage, but takes 1d6 +3 points of piercing damage.

Debby

Zombimode
2012-04-21, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the formating and feedback :smallsmile:
I guess I've grown so used to my personal mini-stat blocks (which contain all relevant combat information) that I forgot how actual stat blocks look like.

Concerning the neck guard: D&D combat does not incorporate facing and thus mechanics that rely on facing feel a bit off. Also, I don't think the frills are prominent enough to warrant automatic damage. This is normally reserved for creatures covered in long spines.

But I agree that not doing *something* with the neck guard and spines feels... a bit wasted.

Solaris
2012-04-22, 04:47 AM
But I agree that not doing *something* with the neck guard and spines feels... a bit wasted.

AC bonus while charging and/or improved natural armor bonus against selected target.

Debihuman
2012-04-22, 06:29 AM
It could give a partial cover bonus to AC from ranged weapons.

Debby