PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Good Pathfinder spells for a wizard

Laniius
2012-04-20, 05:50 PM
Hey playground. I've never actually played a wizard before, either in 3.5 or PF. Playing my first wizard in an upcoming game, level 8.

What spells are a must have? What items are a must have at a level 8 WBL?

I'm considering taking the Air School of magic and the Opposition Research feat/whatever it's called (it replaces feats so I call it a feat) so I have every school open; also having fly at will always speaks to me (somehow it feels better than having it as an item even though the effect is the same). I may consider taking the conjuration: teleportation school instead, along with opposition research, making my only opposed school enchantment (I don't like most of the enchantment spells).

I'm also thinking of going into Pathfinder Savant, probably after level 11 so I can get the Staff-Like Wand feat. I like using wands, even as a wizard, and this will make them dirt cheap. I also think it fits thematically with the Pathfinder Savant, because this way wands, staves, and scrolls will operate at my level rather than the item.

I so far have Improved Initiative, Craft Wondrous Item, Fast Study, and Improved Familiar (with the Lyrakien Azata as my familiar); and Extend Spell as my bonus feat.

Race wise I am a kobold for thematic reasons, but my DM has extensively modified their stat-line so they don't suck. Instead of –4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, –2 Constitution; his have -2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Cha. Everything else is the same. Stats-wise after level bonuses and racial bonuses I have

8 Str
18 Dex
18 Con
20 Int
10 Wis
10 Cha

and after Items I have

8 Str
20 Dex
20 Con
20 Int
10 Wis
10 Cha

Anyway playground, any ideas? I generally like the conjuration school the most, or transmutation; I also love blasting so I don't want evocation to be my opposition school.

Party makeup is me, an assassin with wizard levels, a druid focusing on mixing it up in wild shape (rarely casts spells), a barbarian, and a juju zombie rogue.

ericgrau
2012-04-20, 06:59 PM
Well PF only adds a few spells so it's almost the same as a typical 3.5 spell list. You can google it. Pathfinder does add some interesing metamagic like selective spell and reach spell. I also like to extend low level hour/level buffs but with a lesser rod of extend spell rather than the feat. That way they're up all day and I don't need to cast them during combat nor even during the buffing round.

Some of my favorites, in no particular order:
1: mage armor, feather fall, vanish (APG), ant haul (APG)
2: false life, web
3: fireball, sleet storm, haste, greater magic weapon
4: enervation, resilient sphere, solid fog, wall of ice, black tentacles, selective fireball, greater invisibility
5 (since it's coming up): wall of force, wall of stone

If you're dead set on more transmutation you might add bull's strength and stone skin. But the first isn't really worth the round and the second, while awesome, takes a lot of diamonds and is only 10 min/level so it works well pre-dungeon (hour long trek) but not pre-wilderness (all day trek). If you're dead set on more blasting scorching ray, ball lightning (APG) and fire snake (APG) are ok. With so many good level 4 options it's hard to squeeze dimension door into your highest level slots, but I'd get it soon.

Enchantment is the easiest to ban if you're not in love with it, and you don't seem to be. The second school is a tougher call. I'd lean towards abjuration in preference of crippling foes before they can mess with you in the first place, but if you don't have a party cleric it might sometimes hurt. Clerics get all the good abjurations anyway, btw, so if you do have one it's way easier to ban abjuration.

watchwood
2012-04-20, 08:18 PM
Look up Treantmonk's guide to wizards. He's a bit dismissive of blasting spells, but his analysis is fairly good.

marcielle
2012-04-20, 09:19 PM
I'd also suggest Flaming sphere. Maybe scorching ray too, since you have a good Dex. All things said and done, dead enemy is dead . I'm not really a fan of fireball because sometimes, your allies and enemies are just too mixed up. Teleportation school is really handy for escaping near ANYTHING. Poof out of ropes, grapples and through keyholes or small cracks. But then again, the elemental schools are just plain cooler.

Summon Monster 3 is a really nice spell. I find that Leopards are especially proficient as eating face. Cheetahs give you the fastest mount till late level phantom steeds and wolverines make excellent ammo.

Laniius
2012-04-21, 04:29 PM
Thanks folks!

I think I'm going for the air school. While I like the fact that teleportation can get me out of anything, flight at will is just... stylish.

Jaraak
2013-03-05, 09:21 AM
I've had a lot of fun with the Create Pit spell. Good to throw down infront of your tanks to force their enemies to have to leap over, down, or go around. DC 25 Climb check to get out, Ref to get in. Anything in decent armor is going to be fighting an unhill battle. Especially if your tanks have reach.