PDA

View Full Version : How would you outline this...?

Whisper rider
2012-04-20, 08:26 PM
A friend of mine asked me to help him with a 3.5 game... Its a mini campaign i guest no more than 10-15 sesions (6h-8h each).

There are this ELITE adventurers they are evil.. And they are given a mission, "in 2 months this city X (where the adventurers come from) , is going to attack this other city.. You have to, make sure... That when we get there, no one its going to be in our way"
So this 4 member party lvl 10 its going to bring this city down from the inside.
I have to plan this "campaign" so i wanted to hear your thoughts...

There are no to many high levels in this world, maybe just a couple of epic, but well hidden.
How whould you create this, and how would you make the system work, with this idea...?
Maybe outline the main events?
Gracias!
:smallsmile:

Chronologist
2012-04-21, 11:17 AM
Okay, first I think you should figure out which factions are in power in the city you are traveling to. Is it ruled by the clerics of a sun god? Controlled by diviners who protect the city through foresight? Is it instead a monarchy with an elaborate and scheming royal court? The major players of the location are very important to figure out in advance.

I advise having at least 2-4 different factions in the city that can be either fought or corrupted from within. There's usually a dominant church in the city (need to get rid of those pesky healers before an invasion), a mage's guild of some sorts (very dangerous to an army), a fighter's guild (boosting the otherwise lackluster militia of the city with adventurers), and perhaps even a thieves' or assassin's guild that starts to hear about your protagonists and wants to take them down for good.

Perhaps the best structure would be to set up a starting introductory sequence, where the players learn about the city and do some investigating, then choose which groups to attack in which order.

Set up perhaps three groups, plan for each extended mission to take 2-4 sessions, and then have the party make an assault on the city's leadership. Make sure that the players know what they're ultimately achieving with each faction's destruction. Allow for multiple methods of destruction (direst assault, stealth mission, social manipulation etc).

I'd recommend you level the party after each of the factions is taken down, and you make most of the encounters between CR 8 and 15 (for boss fights), Let the players take out the factions in whatever order they choose, but plan ahead how the other groups will react to one of the guilds collapsing. They might increase their vigilance against thieves and assassins, send investigators after the player characters, hire a diviner to locate the killers, anything that might thwart the PC's plans.

I think it's a good premise, and filling in the blanks will make it a great campaign.

toapat
2012-04-21, 01:17 PM
Id sugest to also determine how serious this campaign is.

If the campaign is allowed a bit of humor, you should include a place called The Tavern. This Dungeon is where all the good adventurers come out with jobs from, and assaulting it, despite being a small 2 story building, would be nigh impossible.