PDA

View Full Version : Best metamagic rods?

danzibr
2012-04-20, 08:56 PM
So I just started looking into being a caster (I know, I'm terrible, after years of dabbling in D&D all I've made is Warblades, Totemists, grapplers, trippers, et cetera), and I began reading of the metamagic rods in MiC and DMG. So here's my question: suppose you're going the casting route (I personally am making a Bard I wish to be a buffer, but I also having being a Cleric in mind, and I already know about DMM business), what metamagic rods are good to have?

Also, how about eternal wands? And is there another source that has eternal wands for spells above third level?

sreservoir
2012-04-20, 09:23 PM
lesser extend is cheap and useful; higher extends are still decent but they get more expensive.

all quickens are probably worth the cost, unless you cast spontaneously and haven't mitigated the full-round metamagic thing.

chaining makes a bunch of shenanigans significantly more accessible.

schemata (MoE) are effectively reusable scrolls up to 6th. won't necessarily work for you if it's not on your list unless you have good UMD, but.

Slipperychicken
2012-04-20, 09:31 PM
Yeah, extend and quicken are the most worth it. +4 adjustment 3/day spontaneously for only 3k, AND 2 spells in a round!? Sign me up!

navar100
2012-04-20, 09:40 PM
It depends on the situation. I suppose Quicken is universal. Buff spells like Extend. Damage spells like Empower and Maximize. For being stealthy and a particular tactic Silence works wonders. Still is good for emergencies.

Then there are non-PHB metamagic. Summon Monster likes Rapid. Touch spells like Reach. Area spells like Sculpt. It actually hasn't been officially published, probably a good thing, but just try to get permission to create a Metamagic Rod of Persistent Spell.

Look at the spells you cast often. That will tell you what works for you with Quicken always being one of them.