PDA

View Full Version : Aasimar/Shade vs. Silver Dragon

Ezra_The_Mad
2012-04-20, 09:02 PM
Despite what the title suggests, not a "fight" suggestion. I was considering one of two things for a character idea, and my question is this- Which one of these is worth the LA? I'f its the Shade Aasimar, i'm rolling up a warlock. I have some backstory already done. If it's the Young Silver Dragon...i'm not sure what i'll do. I got my DM to let me use Lesser Aasimar (The one with the +0 LA), so i'm really only worried about the Shade template- It honestly seems almost ridiculously powerful, with the caveat of literally none of it working in daylight. Almost not worth the +4. YSD, however, nets me some excellent Su abilities, natural armor, alternate form, and a breath weapon. Also, dragon.

Which would you pick? I'm generally interested in the general consensus. I'd also like to hear if there are better races for the Shade template.

JadePhoenix
2012-04-21, 07:47 PM
Does it have to be a silver dragon? Steel dragon has lower LA and has a very powerful ability in alternate form.

Lonely Tylenol
2012-04-21, 07:52 PM
I'd say Shade, with the caveat that you obviously need a way to produce a suitable level of darkness repeatedly (which Warlocks get out of the gate).

tyckspoon
2012-04-21, 07:58 PM
Neither of them are *worth* the LA, if'n ya ask me, but if I were to pick between the two I'd go with the Aasimar. The reason is simply that the Shade template gives you a chance to actually put together the character, while a Young Silver Dragon is ECL 18 just to be a dragon; on the mechanical side of that, basically all you get is 'I'm a dragon'. Almost no room to build on that with class choice, which I find rather boring.

Yawgmoth
2012-04-21, 08:48 PM
LA is essentially never worth it, barring a very scant few instances. The reason is that the guy who did most of the writing for SS is a horrible grognard who think anyone wanting to play anything other than human/elf/dwarf is Having Fun Wrong, so he intentionally made the mechanics abysmal. Which is a damn shame because the concept is obviously one a lot of people enjoy.

That said, of those choices I'd go with the Aasimar, because you actually get class levels. Steel dragon is a great pick if you're gonna go for a dragon, though.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2012-04-23, 07:45 PM
The LA+0 one. No questions asked.

General races with ECL penalty or only worth it with my balanced ECL variant. Otherwise you have to dig very hard for