PDA

View Full Version : Help Building aHealing Alchemist? [Pathinder] Please?

Ravens_cry
2012-04-20, 09:56 PM
For my next character, I am thinking of making a healer, but I want to base it off the Alchemist class rather than Cleric or Oracle.
Working Vivisectionist archytype into it would also be a priority, wielding two 'scalpels'.
Books allowed? Anything Paizo on the d20PFSRD.
25 point buy.
I am thinking elf for the race, though I am willing to consider others as well.
Human could also work.
I am thinking a cold, methodical, physician, not exactly one with a great bedside manner, whose only pleasure is their research.

Ravens_cry
2012-04-21, 12:28 PM
{+1 Bump of Info Dump}
OK, I was considering elf, but as flavour-wise I'd like that, human seems to be the way to go, two feats (two weapon fighting, weapon finesse) and my point buy work out exactly the same going
18, DEX, 7 STR, 14 CON, 11 WIS, 16 INT, 7 CHA. (after adjustments) for either elf or human.
Just a clarification, does Chirurgeon infused curative ability, (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/archetypes/paizo---alchemist-archetypes/chirurgeon) crunch wise, work like a clerics ability to drop any spell for a cure spell?
Along with Vivisectionist, what other Archtypes help support this dark physician concept?

Crasical
2012-04-21, 03:18 PM
Just a clarification, does Chirurgeon infused curative ability, (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/archetypes/paizo---alchemist-archetypes/chirurgeon) crunch wise, work like a clerics ability to drop any spell for a cure spell?

Not really. Basically, when you prepare your extracts for the day, any cure spells you prepare act as Infusions, so other people can drink them even if you don't have that discovery. Normally, when you prepare infusions, they remain prepared and fill that spell slot until they're actually used, with this, you can render any of your healing potions inert to replace them with other things.

Ravens_cry
2012-04-21, 03:47 PM
Not really. Basically, when you prepare your extracts for the day, any cure spells you prepare act as Infusions, so other people can drink them even if you don't have that discovery. Normally, when you prepare infusions, they remain prepared and fill that spell slot until they're actually used, with this, you can render any of your healing potions inert to replace them with other things.
Oh, OK then.
Any tips on how to make an alchemist a better healer beyond Chirurgeon?

Chained Birds
2012-04-21, 10:13 PM
Sadly, Alchemists aren't really built for the healer role other than what you've already got. It should be fine as it is without multi-classing.

Saito Takuji
2012-04-21, 10:38 PM
I am thinking a cold, methodical, physician, not exactly one with a great bedside manner, whose only pleasure is their research.

Dr cox from scrubs?

Corlindale
2012-04-22, 01:41 AM
Alchemists aren't really geared for healing in combat - but out of combat they can probably be decent at it - especially since the semi-spontaneous nature of their extracts can let them cure particular status conditions as they come up.

The problem with in-combat Alchemist healing is that it requires everyone to spend their own actions on it, and that's not very efficient, usually. Some of the later extracts let you get around this to a small extent, though (Delayed Consumption offers contingent healing for everyone, Resurgent Transformation kicks in as people drop to low health). Elixir of Life is also a great Discovery for the aspiring healer, but that's very late-game.

A good late-game combo might be Delayed Consumption+Breath of Life. As far as I can see, it can be activated as an immediate action in order to not die, which seems pretty awesome to me.