PDA

View Full Version : The New Monk (3.5 fix) PEACH please!

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-04-20, 09:56 PM
Alright! I am constantly disappointed with how the Crunch of the Monk class never lives up to the Fluff. So, I made some...modifications. Not good modifications, heavens no! But I wanted to see if I could raise the Monk a Tier or so. I went with the idea that the Monk needs to be more like the Ranger, a jack-of-all-trades. So I included abilities that should improve the Monk in several directions at once. I probably failed, but that's why I'm here: to hear in excruciating detail just how I failed, how badly, and how to fix my fix.

PEACH is desperately needed, as you can see by the dead levels where I need something useful to put.

The Monk

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTg-K0mpkQjIkaQVHlslh2eO7wJ-Q5l0xkZWyfWrkeO63tgVwDOVQ

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them...

Obey the Principles without being bound by them. ~ Bruce Lee

Attributes: Wisdom is highly important to the Monk as several of his abilities are based of it, as is Constitution.
Starting Age: As Monk
Starting Gold: As Monk

{table=head]
{table]Level | BAB | F/R/W | Special | Chakra | Flurry Bonus | Unarmed Damage | AC Bonus | Speed Boost
1 | +1 | 2/2/2 | Iron Fist, Chakra 1, Fury 1| +1 | -2/-2 | 1d6 | +0 | +0
2 | +2 | 3/3/3 | Lay on Hands, Evasion | +1 | -1/-1 | 1d6 | +0 | +0
3 | +3 | 3/3/3 | Ring-Out, Deflect Arrows, Uncanny Dodge | +1 | +0/+0 | 1d6 | +0 | +10
4 | +4 | 4/4/4 | Chakra 2, Ghost Strike | +2 | +1/+1 | 1d8 | +0 | +10
5 | +5 | 4/4/4 | Purity of Form, Size Matters, Chi Blast | +2 | +2/+2 | 1d8 | +1 | +10
6 | +6/+1 | 5/5/5 | Flash-Step, Combat Reflexes | +2 | +3/+3 | 1d8 | +1 | +20
7 | +7/+2 | 5/5/5 | Purity of Mind, Dispelling Strike, Imp Evasion | +2 | +4/+4 | 1d8 | +1 | +20
8 | +8/+3 | 6/6/6 | Imp Evasion, Chakra 3, Fury 2 | +3 | +5/+5/0 | 1d10 | +1 | +20
9 | +9/+4 | 6/6/6 | Damaging Strike, At Will Feather Fall, Imp Uncanny Dodge | +3 | +6/+6/+1 | 1d10 | +1 | +30
10 | +10/+5 | 7/7/7 | At Will Stoneskin, Balance | +3 | +7/+7+/+2 | 1d10 | +2 | +30
11 | +11/+6/+1 | 7/7/7 | Diamond Body, Size Matters Not, Wise Counsel | +3 | +8/+8/+8/+3 | 1d10 | +2 | +30
12 | +12/+7/+2 | 8/8/8 | Chakra 4, Imp Dispelling Strike | +4 | +9/+9/+9/+4 | 2d6 | +2 | +40
13 | +13/+8/+3 | 8/8/8 | xxxx | +4 | +9/+9/+9/+4 | 2d6 | +2 | +40
14 | +14/+9/+4 | 9/9/9 | Furious Burst | +4 | +10/+10/+10/+5 | 2d6 | +2 | +40
15 | +15/+10/+5 | 9/9/9 | Interrupt | +4 | +11/+11/+11/+6/+1 | 2d6 | +3 | +50
16 | +16/+11/+6/+1 | 10/10/10 | Chakra 5 | +5 | +12/+12/+12/+7/+2 | 2d8 | +3 | +50
17 | +17/+12/+7/+2 | 10/10/10 | xxxx | +5 | +12/+12/+12/+7/+2 | 2d8 | +3 | +50
18 | +18/+13/+8/+3 | 11/11/11 | xxxx | +5 | +13/+13/+13/+8/+3 | 2d8 | +3 | +60
19 | +19/+14/+9/+4 | 11/11/11 | Tranquil Fury (3), Way of the Fang | +5 | +14/+14/+14/+9/+4 | 2d8 | +3 | +60
20 | +20/+15/+10/+5 | 12/12/12 | Chakra 6, Revered Sage, Eternal Fury | +6 | +15/+15/+15/+10/+5 | 2d10 | +4 | +60

[/table][/table]

Alignment: Any. Some Monks are disciplinarians, some are free-spirits.
Hit Die: 1d10

Class Skills: As Monk. Add Autohypnosis.
Skill Points (First Level): (6+Int Modifier) x 4
Skill Points at Subsequent Levels: 6+Int Modifier

Class Features –
Fury (Ex): The discipline required to learn the ways of the monk are intense, so much so that its practitioners often have a permanent scowl while in combat. Despite this inner fury, they do not rage like a Barbarian. Once per day at level 1, a Monk may enter a Stoic Fury, gaining +2 to attack, damage and will saves, but a -2 to AC. He may not use any Supernatural or Spell-like abilities while in a Fury except Chi-Blast and Furious Burst, and he may not use any skill which requires concentration or is considered complex, except for Jump, Escape Artist, Tumble, Autohypnosis and Balance. He can remain in his Fury for 3 + his Con Modifier rounds, and can end this prematurely, at which point he becomes fatigued for the encounter. At levels 8 and 19 he may enter a Fury an additional time per day. At level 8 his attack, damage and will save bonus rises to +4, and again rises to +6 at level 19. Also at level 19 his AC penalty disappears and he does not become fatigued when exiting a Fury.

Eternal Fury (Ex): At level 20, the Monk has passed through the earlier stage of fury and is now in that calm lagoon of rage where the voice is steady, the manner is measured and polite, and only a faint trace of spittle at the corner of the mouth betrays the inner inferno. For all intents and purposes, the Monk is always Furious, though suffers no fatigue as he does not disengage Fury, and can continue using Chakra.

Iron Fist (Ex): The Monk has forgone all weapons in return for the power to rend all obstacles in his path with his bare hands. At Level 1, a Monk is treated as having Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Grappling, and Improved Disarm abilities, regardless of prerequisites.

Chakra (Su): After years of training and meditation, the Monk can tap into his own life-force in order to perform miracles. Chi is measured in Chakra, and the Monk is blessed with a base number of Chakra as given by the above table. The number of Chakra on the table is non-cumulative. The Monk adds his Constitution Modifier to his base Chakra in order to find his total Chakra. Many of the Monk's abilities are fed by his Chakra. Spent Chakra recovers at a rate of 1 Chakra per hour, though an eight hour rest automatically returns all spent Chakra. Chakra cannot be used if the Monk is Fatigued, and does not recover if he is Exhausted.

Chakra infuses everything the Monk does. Unspent Chakra continues to flow through the Monk's body, empowering him. You may add a bonus equaling your remaining Chakra to all saves, and add damage to your unarmed strikes equal to your remaining Chakra x 2.

Lay on Hands (Su): Beginning at 2nd level, a Monk with a Wisdom score of 12 or higher can heal wounds by touch. Each day he can heal a total number of hit points of damage equal to his Monk level × his Wisdom bonus. By spending a single Chakra, he may use Lay on Hands to heal another person. A Monk may choose to divide his healing among multiple recipients, and doesn’t have to use it all at once. Using lay on hands is a standard action.

By spending three Chakra a Monk may replenish his reserve of hp gained through this abilty

Evasion (Ex): Starting at second level, if a Monk succeeds at a reflex save meant to halve an incoming attack's damage, the Monk instead takes no damage. This doesn't apply to a helpless Monk, or a Monk wearing armor.

Ring-Out (Ex): While grappling an opponent, the Monk may use an attack action to instead throw their opponent through the air. The opponent will fly a distance of ˝ the Monk's total movement speed plus another ten feet per Monk level, unless stopped by a wall or obstruction. When the opponent lands or is prematurely stopped by an obstruction, they take falling damage as if they had fallen normally. This damage can be lessened or negated by any means which would do so for a normal fall.

Deflect Arrows: The Monk has the amazing ability to swat aside arrows and thrown weapons in mid-flight.

Uncanny Dodge: The Monk's alertness is legendary. He retains his Dexterity modifier to AC if caught flatfooted or attacked by an invisible attacker.

Ghost Strike (Su): By spending one Chakra, the Monk gains the ability to hit ethereal or intangible enemies, such as ghosts or spirits or spellcasters using a spell, for 1 hour.

Purity of Form (Ex): At fifth level the Monk is immune to all diseases natural.

Size Matters (Ex): The Monk is counted as a creature one size larger than he is for purposes of calculating unarmed damage and grappling modifiers. He counts as one size category smaller for purposes of calculating AC.

Chi Blast (Sp): By spending one Chakra, the Monk may cast a Chi Empowered energy attack. He uses a Ranged Touch Attack to cast, and the blast deals 1d4+1 damage. As a Full Round Action the Monk may instead fire one of these blasts per every attack the Monk is entitles to according to his BAB. This still only costs one Chakra.

If the Monk spends two Chakra, he may fire as many Chi Blasts as he has attacks, including additional attacks gained through Flurry, to a total of nine separate blasts. These all use the same attack roll.

Flash-Step (Su): By spending two Chakra, the Monk is able to increase his speed beyond human imagining, almost as if he teleported. As a full-round action he may move up to his total movement speed. He does not provoke any Attacks of Opportunity when he does this. If he lands in a square adjacent to an enemy, the Monk is allowed a single attack. The enemy is counted as flat-footed and the Monk deals additional Sneak Attack Damage as if he were a Rogue of ˝ his Monk levels.

Combat Reflexes: The Monk is quick to take advantage of his opponents. He gains all the benefits of the Combat Reflexes feat, regardless of prerequisites.

Purity of Mind (Ex): The Monk's dedication to his training has left his mind as an iron trap. The Monk gains an additional +2 to Will Saves and Autohypnosis Checks.

Dispelling Strike (Ex): With a single strike the Monk can pierce any illusion. If the Monk spends one Chakra and makes a single attack on an enemy, his strike damages the lowest level active spell, spell-like ability or supernatural ability on the target creature, if any. The hit creature must make a Will Save (DC=10+level of spell+damage dealt) or the spell ends.

Improved Evasion: Failed reflex saves against spells or attacks that allow one now deal only half-damage.

Damaging Strike (Ex): With a single strike the Monk can pierce any armor. If the Monk spends one Chakra and makes a single attack on an enemy, his strike ignores Damage Reduction up to his Monk levels.

Feather Fall (Sp): The Monk may spend one Chakra in order to cast the spell Feather Fall. The effects last 10 minutes.

Improved Uncanny Dodge: The Monk is aware of all around him. He can no longer be flanked. When calculating whether or not a Rogue may Sneak Attack the Monk, the Monk is considered a Rogue of half the Monk's character levels, rounded up.

Stoneskin (Sp): At tenth level the Monk may spend one Chakra in order cast the spell Stoneskin. The effect lasts 10 minutes.

Balance: At tenth level, the Monk has become wise enough to know when violence is not the answer, and when it is the best answer. Add the Monk's Wisdom Modifier to all attack rolls.

Diamond Body: The Monk is immune to all Poisons.

Size Matters Not (Ex): The Monk counts as an additional size category larger for Unarmed Damage and Grapple Modifiers, and an additional size smaller for calculating AC.

Wise Counsel (Su): Wise sounding, and often confusingly obtuse, riddles and sayings spring forth from the Monk, giving the impression he is a learned wise man. Add the Monk's Wisdom Modifier to his Diplomacy Checks.

Improved Dispelling Strike: The Monk's Dispelling Strike now allows him to choose which spell, spell-like ability or supernatural ability affecting his target is dispelled. The DC for the creature's willsave is now DC15+spell level+damage dealt.

Furious Burst: At fourteenth level, the Monk learns to release the raw power of his Fury upon an unsuspecting foe. While the Monk is in his Fury, he may spend five Chakra in order to make a single ranged touch attack. This functions much like a single Chi Blast, but deals 1d12 + his Wisdom score in damage. This immediately ends the Monk's Fury and leaves him Exhausted.

Interrupt (Sp): By spending four Chakra, the Monk creates an Anti-Magic Field as the spell around himself. If the Monk spends another Chakra, the Anti-Magic Field forms around a party member of his choice.

If the Monk spends another Chakra (five total) he may place the Anti-Magic Field on an enemy caster. He must make a ranged touch attack. The afflicted caster must make a Will Save (DC20+spell level+Monk's Wisdom Modifier) to negate the Anti-Magic Field.

Way of the Fang (Ex): The Monk has learned of a forbidden technique, one which can kill in a single strike. Once per day, after declaring he is using this ability, the Monk makes an Unarmed attack against a single opponent. If the hit lands, the opponent must make a Fortitude Save (DC20+monk levels+damage) or die instantly.

The technique does not come without cost. If it misses, the Monk becomes fatigued, loses his swift/immediate actions for this turn (or next if he has already used them) and loses his next turn.

Revered Sage: The Monk has transcended the bonds of mortal flesh. The Monk is no longer susceptible to aging, neither natural nor supernatural, but still suffers any age penalties he has already earned. The Monk is considered immortal in lifespan, and an Outsider type. The next time the Monk would die, he instead is resurrected 1d4 days later. Once resurrected in this way, the Monk is counted as Deathless, and he gains the following benefits:

Does not require sleeping, breathing nor eating
Immune to Mind-Affecting effects
Immune to sleep, paralysis, stunning and death effects
Not subject to Critical Hits, Nonlethal damage or ability drain (still affected by Energy Drain)
Not at risk of dying from Massive damage, but immediately dies at 0 Hp

{table=head]Monk Unarmed Damage by Size
{table]Fine | Diminutive | Tiny | Small | Medium | Large | Huge | Gargantuan | Colossal
1st-3rd | 1 | 1d2 | 1d3 | 1d4 | 1d6 | 1d8 | 2d6 | 3d6 | 4d6
4th-7th | 1d2 | 1d3 | 1d4 | 1d6 | 1d8 | 2d6 | 3d6 | 4d6 | 6d6
8th-11th | 1d3| 1d4 | 1d6 | 1d8 | 1d10 | 2d8 | 3d8 | 4d8 | 6d8
12th-15th | 1d4 | 1d6 | 1d8 | 1d10 | 2d6 | 3d6 | 4d6 | 6d6 | 8d6
16th-19th | 1d6 | 1d8 | 1d10 | 2d6 | 2d8 | 3d8 | 4d8 | 6d8 | 8d8
20th | 1d8 | 1d10 | 2d6 | 2d8 | 2d10 | 4d8 | 6d8 | 8d8 | 12d8
[/table][/table]

So, this is my Monk. There are some dead levels, and it's probably unbalanced as all get-out. So, I ask the Playground, how do I fix this?

silphael
2012-04-21, 05:49 PM
Some quick feeling:

First, why did you give him full BAB before taking it away for flurry? That's odd.

Second, I think the chakra idea is a good one, despite being extremily weak atm. I mean, +6 to one roll at level 20? First, maybe make it work as Essentia, basically with invested points that don't disappear before being spent to fuel powerfull effects (and stronger one than "you can hit incorporeal for 10 minutes"). And maybe you should double the effect.

Evasion without improved evasion? That could fill one dead level.

The unarmed damage are low: the base damage from monl's unarmed damage are low as well, and will be hard to determine with size increases.

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-04-21, 06:49 PM
First, why did you give him full BAB before taking it away for flurry? That's odd.

Why is it odd? I don't understand. Doesn't full BAB mean the Monk can hit additional times at less of a penalty... unless I've completely misunderstood what Flurry does...

Second, I think the chakra idea is a good one, despite being extremily weak atm. I mean, +6 to one roll at level 20? First, maybe make it work as Essentia, basically with invested points that don't disappear before being spent to fuel powerfull effects (and stronger one than "you can hit incorporeal for 10 minutes"). And maybe you should double the effect.

I changed Chakra a bit after reading this. Now if Chakra is unspent it provides a permanent bonus to saves (Chakra=bonus) and unarmed damage (Chakra x 2). That was a very good idea, thank you. I also increased Ghost Strike to an hour duration. Not sure what else to modify, or by how much.

Evasion without improved evasion? That could fill one dead level.

Funny thing. I thought I had Improved Evasion on there, but I accidently left it off the chart! :smalltongue: It's back now.

The unarmed damage are low: the base damage from monl's unarmed damage are low as well, and will be hard to determine with size increases.

There's a new chart at the bottom showing what the Monk's damage is at different sizes. Got it off D&D Wiki, but it looked legit. For D&D wiki anyway. The PHB didn't have anything besides Small, Medium and Large.