PDA

View Full Version : Building the Fighter Like the Warlock [D&D 3.5, Work in Progress]

Ziegander
2012-04-21, 01:08 AM
Building the Fighter Like the Warlock

http://static.desktopnexus.com/thumbnails/185258-bigthumbnail.jpg

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d10

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special |
Techniques

1st|+1|+2|+0|+0|Bonus Feat, Combat Mastery (Least)|

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+0|Bonus Feat|

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+1|Uncanny Dodge|

4th|+4|+4|+1|+1|Bonus Feat|

5th|+5|+4|+1|+1|Heroic Resilience 1|

6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+2|Bonus Feat, Combat Mastery (Improved)|

7th|+7/+2|+5|+2|+2|Improved Uncanny Dodge|

8th|+8/+3|+6|+2|+2|Bonus Feat|

9th|+9/+4|+6|+3|+3|Heroic Resilience 2|

10th|+10/+5|+7|+3|+3|Bonus Feat|

11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+3|+3|Combat Mastery (Greater)|

12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+4|+4|Bonus Feat|

13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+4|+4|Heroic Resilience 3|

14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+4|+4|Bonus Feat|

15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+5|+5|Impetuous Endurance|

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+5|+5|Bonus Feat, Combat Mastery (Perfect)|

17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+5|Heroic Resilience 4|

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+6|Bonus Feat|

19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+6|Accelerated Healing|

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+6|Bonus Feat|
[/table]

Class Skills (4 + Int modifier): Appraise, Balance, Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Escape Artist, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Profession, Ride, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, Swim, Tumble, and Use Magic Device.

Proficiencies: A Fighter is proficient with all simple and martial weapons as well as with all armors and shields.

Bonus Feats: At 1st level, and at every even level thereafter, a Fighter gains a bonus feat in addition to those gained from normal advancement (meaning that the fighter gains a feat at every level). These bonus feats must be selected from those listed as Fighter Bonus Feats.

Upon reaching 3rd level, and every four levels thereafter (7th, 11th, and so on), a Fighter can choose to learn a new bonus feat in place of a bonus feat he has already learned. In effect, the Fighter loses the bonus feat in exchange for the new one. The old feat cannot be one that was used as a prerequisite for another feat, prestige class, or other ability. A Fighter can only change one feat at any given level and must choose whether or not to swap the feat at the time he gains a new bonus feat for the level.

Combat Mastery (Ex): A Fighter's experience and training manifest themselves most clearly and spectacularly in the techniques he employs in the heat of battle. These Techniques are divided into four tiers, Least, Improved, Greater, and Perfect. At 1st level he knows a single Least Technique and as he gains Fighter levels, he learns additional Techniques and his combat mastery improves so that he learns Techniques from higher tiers. He also gains the following benefits from his Combat Mastery tier:

At 1st level, a Fighter does not provoke attacks of opportunity when making an unarmed attack or when attempting a Bull Rush, Disarm, Grapple, Overrun, Sunder, or Trip maneuver. He also applies the benefits of any weapon-specific feats he possesses to all weapons that he is proficient with.

At 6th level, a Fighter gains a +4 bonus to his attacks of opportunity, to his AC against charge attacks and against attacks of opportunity, and to all of his Bull Rush, Disarm, Grapple, Overrun, Sunder, and/or Trip maneuvers.

At 11th level, a Fighter does not provoke attacks of opportunity for movement, and his opponents always provoke attacks of opportunity from the Fighter for movement (even when Tumbling, using a 5ft-step, or employing a similar means to evade attacks of opportunity) unless they possess 4 or more HD (or levels) than the Fighter.

At 16th level, is never surprised (he is always entitled to a standard action during a surprise round) and may re-roll one failed d20 roll per round. He may use this re-roll as a free action, even if it isn't his turn.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 3rd level; as Barbarian.

Heroic Resilience (Ex): Starting at 5th level, a Fighter gains the number listed in the table above as Fast Healing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#fastHealing) as long as he has greater than 0 hit points.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 7th level; as Barbarian.

Impetuous Endurance (Ex): Starting at 15th level, a Fighter remains conscious, is not Disabled (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#disabled) or Staggered (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#staggered), and is automatically stable at 0 and fewer hit points, and does not automatically fail saving throws on a roll of 1.

Accelerated Healing (Ex): Starting at 19th level, a Fighter gains Regeneration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#regeneration) 5, in addition to his Fast Healing, that is overcome by acid, fire, and critical hits. Like his Fast Healing, the Fighter's Regeneration only functions while the Fighter has greater than 0 hit points; however, even an unconscious Fighter regains hit points from natural healing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/injuryandDeath.htm#healing) at triple the standard rate.

Techniques
Techniques can be executed at-will and are divided into two categories: Stances and Attack Forms.

Stance Techniques grant static benefits to the Fighter, oftentimes like a feat; however stances can be more powerful and spectacular than a feat and a Fighter can only benefit from one stance at a time. The benefit of a stance lasts until the Fighter dismisses it (a free action) or executes a new stance. Executing a stance is a move-equivalent action that can be done as part of normal movement (but not as part of a charge, 5ft-step, or other special type of movement).

Attack Form Techniques add damage and/or special effects to the Fighter's attacks and require no actions of themselves to execute. The intention to execute an Attack Form must be declared before the attack roll is made for the attack modified by an Attack Form. An attack may only be modified by a single Attack Form at once, but you may use Attack Forms to modify any attack, including charge attacks, attacks of opportunity, or attacks made as part of a Full Attack action. Each attack you make in a round can be modified by a separate Attack Form, if you wish.

Whenever a Fighter gains a level he may swap out of any his Techniques known for new Techniques of the same tiers. For example, a 11th level Fighter has just gained enough XP to reach 12th level. He knows seven Techniques, three of which are Least Techniques, three of which are Improved Techniques, and one of which is a Greater Technique. He may "forget" any or all of those Techniques to learn new Techniques of which no more than three could be Least Techniques, no more than three could be Improved Techniques, and no more than one could be Greater Techniques.

Stance Techniques

Least

Call of the Wild
You gain a +4 bonus to all Handle Animal, Ride, and Wild Empathy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/druid.htm#wildEmpathy) checks while you remain in this stance, +1 per three Fighter levels (max +10). While you remain in this stance, you may use Wild Empathy, as the Druid class feature.

Combat Acrobat
You gain a +4 bonus to all Balance, Jump, and Tumble checks while you remain in this stance, +1 per three Fighter levels (max +10).

Extreme Athlete
You gain a +4 bonus to all Climb, Survival, and Swim checks while you remain in this stance, +1 per three Fighter levels (max +10).

Forceful Personality
You gain a +4 bonus to all Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate checks while you remain in this stance, +1 per three Fighter levels (max +10).

Martial Artist
You gain a +4 bonus to all Appraise, Craft, and Use Magic Device checks while you remain in this stance, +1 per three Fighter levels (max +10).

Steadfast Sentry
You gain a +4 bonus to all Listen, Spot, and Sense Motive checks while you remain in this stance, +1 per three Fighter levels (max +10).

Improved

Greater

Perfect

Attack Form Techniques

Melee Attack Forms

Least

Elusive Strike
If your attack hits, then you gain a +1 dodge bonus to AC that lasts until the start of your next turn. If you are holding a shield, you gain double this bonus instead.

Glorious Strike
If your attack hits, as long as the target of your attack has a CR no less than half your character level, then you are cured of 1d6 points of damage.

Ruthless Advance
If your attack hits, then it deals 1d6 additional damage. This damage can accumulate if you use this Attack Form on later attacks in the round, adding 1d6 to the additional damage for each time you have successfully hit with an attack modified by this Attack Form in the same round.

Stick and Move
If your attack hits, then you may take a 5ft-step. This 5ft-step is in addition to any other movement you have made this round, including other 5ft-steps.

Improved

Greater

Perfect

Ranged Attack Forms

Least

Improved

Greater

Perfect

nonsi
2012-04-21, 10:56 AM
Heroic Resilience is wasted space as far as class features go.
You should focus on battlefield mobility, action economy and lasting power (in terms of dealing with with mental manipulation), and not count on wise player's choices of Stances & Attack Forms (Heroic Resilience & Accelerated Healing could come in the form of Stances).

Everything else seems well structured.

Hyudra
2012-04-21, 12:36 PM
I think you're unnecessarily narrowing your options with the stance & attack forms. Consider some of the following:

"Watch Yourself!"
Req: BAB +3
Focus: Leader, Herald, Defender
Effect: Shout. Grants allies within range bonus AC and the Evasion class feature for a number of rounds equal to the total number of techniques you know for a relevant focus (Leader, herald, defender).

Shake It Off
Req: BAB +6
Focus: Defender, Brawler, Survivor
Effect: With a move action, you reduce the duration of any and all conditions (Conditions include Bleeding, Blinded, Confused, Cowering, Dazed, Dazzled, Deafened, Exhausted, Fascinated, Fatigued, Frightened, Nauseated, Panicked, Paralyzed, Shaken, Sickened, Stunned) on yourself by 1 round, plus one round for every two techniques you know in a relevant focus (Defender, Brawler, Survivor). Shake It Off grants an additional saving throw against any ongoing deliterious poison, disease or spell effects that allowed a saving throw on onset, with the effect being removed on a successful save. Failure on this additional saving throw precludes further attempts to remove the effect with this technique. Shake It Off can be used when the individual would otherwise be unable to act, but doing so means you can only make a move action on the next round as a consequence.

Leap
Req: BAB 10+
Focus: Charger, Brawler, Slayer
Effect: As a full-round action, you leap to a point on the battlefield within (range) and attack all adjacent foes. For each technique you know in a relevant focus, you can cause one adjacent foe to lose one attack of opportunity from allotment for the round. If there are no foes in range who have an available attack of opportunity, you instead deal more damage on one attack.

Battlefield Dressing
Req: BAB 8+
Focus: Survivor, Leader
Effect: As an action with a one round completion time, you heal yourself or one adjacent ally for 1d6 per two levels you have in the class and a further 1d6 for every technique you know in a relevant focus. That ally is considered bandaged until they are again damaged in battle. Already bandaged allies cannot be healed with Battlefield Dressing.

nonsi
2012-04-21, 01:00 PM
Another idea that popped to mind.
You could draw from your Warlord to build armor & shield techniques as stances.

Ziegander
2012-04-21, 04:49 PM
I think you're unnecessarily narrowing your options with the stance & attack forms. Consider some of the following:

[... Epic stuff ...]

I think that's all really cool stuff, but it's not the direction I intended to take the class. I think the effects you designed, and the associated focus keywords is very interesting and could make for a compelling Fighter class, but it doesn't do what I want this one to do, which is as simple as designing a Fighter that operates in a similar manner and structure as a Warlock. That's all. I'm not really trying to do anything highbrow with this (I've made so many Fighter fixes, I just don't find it necessary).

@Nonsi: While I understand your concern, I think that those things are actually best executed as Techniques in this case, simply because covering all of those bases requires rules tweaks and mechanics additions that are simultaneously too myriad and too complex to be covered by basic class features.

The chassis I've set up ensures that the Fighter can fight with great stamina and solid baseline competency, which is key (since the current Fighter chassis doesn't do that at all), while the Techniques will offer all of the mobility, economics, speed/willpower, and utility that the Fighter will need to continue to be competitive throughout the game.

Hyudra
2012-04-21, 05:04 PM
I think that's all really cool stuff, but it's not the direction I intended to take the class. I think the effects you designed, and the associated focus keywords is very interesting and could make for a compelling Fighter class, but it doesn't do what I want this one to do, which is as simple as designing a Fighter that operates in a similar manner and structure as a Warlock. That's all. I'm not really trying to do anything highbrow with this (I've made so many Fighter fixes, I just don't find it necessary).

Ignore the keywords, prereqs and such (those are holdovers from a class where I started to do very much the same thing), and just note what the actual abilities do. A leap, a shout to rally one's allies, removing spells/conditions from oneself and healing. All I was suggesting was that by breaking abilities down into simple attacks & stances, you're missing a lot of opportunities.

Garryl
2012-04-21, 08:53 PM
I don't think it's quite the angle you're going at, but I did something similar to this before (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10068.msg368450#msg368450), albeit with a slightly more direct translation of the whole at will spellcasting thing. I was also trying for somewhat of the inverse of this (a Warlock who would act like a Fighter (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10068.msg436003#msg436003)), but that never got anywhere and I would up stealing its invocations for my Soulknife rewrite.

I certainly hope that there will be more to the Least Stance Techniques than "pick 3 related skills and get +4 +level/3 with them". I also hope that the higher level techniques will be more than just numerical increases over the lower level ones. The fact that the current Least Techniques are mostly just small numerical things does not fill me with confidence so far. Still, I have no reason to doubt the king of Fighter fixes. Have at it!