PDA

View Full Version : [PF] What class/build should i pick?

Bharg
2012-04-21, 08:00 AM
We're starting a new campaign with a new group that is supposed to be set in the area around Thesk in the Forgotten Realms. Right now the group consists of:

-A dwarfen fighter
-A dwarfen ranger
-A halfling ranger
-A halfling bard
-A human wizard universalist

I wanted to play some kind of divine class, but wasn't sure which class or build would make sense in the current group comp. Also I am clueless which deity I should worship. :smallfrown:

I would really appreciate some recommendations regardings classes builds and deities.

LibraryOgre
2012-04-21, 03:34 PM
Well, your group looks skewed a little bit short and a little bit natural (two rangers). You might look at dwarven druid, or perhaps a gnomish Oracle.

Beowulf DW
2012-04-21, 05:45 PM
I'd recommend a human Inquisitor, myself. It's pretty fun. You don't get all the spells that a cleric or oracle would get, but you'd get judgements and bane to make up for it.

I tried a Zen Archer/Inquisitor once. Got Wis to pretty much everything. We called it the Holy Sniper.

watchwood
2012-04-21, 07:31 PM
Clerics, Oracles, and Paladins can all provide solid in combat healing with the right build. Exactly which route to go is entirely up to your own taste - honestly, they're all pretty good.

Eldariel
2012-04-21, 08:45 PM
Cleric; extremely customizable with Domains and one of the best warrior classes in the game to boot (yes, in PF too). And let's face it, their spell list has some stuff a party like that really just doesn't want to miss out on (Magic Vestment, anybody? Heroes' Feast? Not to mention overlaps, of course). In-combat healing is of course silly since it's almost always more efficient to just spend your spellslots to pre-empt damage and heal after battle (the spell "Heal" being an exception as it heals enough to actually negate a turn's worth of attention; D&D isn't an MMO and the name of the game is not "tank'n'spank"; best way to survive is to not get hit or minimize the number of times you potentially get hit, rather).

For the few cases when it's convenient (e.g. when you could prevent a death to Damage over Time or something with it) you have your spontaneous conversion available. Most healing should be done out of battle with Wands of Cure Light Wounds (you have Bard already to use 'em but doesn't hurt to have a second one in case he goes AWOL).

So yeah, either Archer Cleric or Melee Cleric bringing few new key buff spells to the table alongside potent combat magic and fighting skill.

deuxhero
2012-04-21, 10:56 PM
Forgotten Realms.

Given the campaign setting, any 3.5 material allowed?

Note that strictly healing is bad (Reviefy or Breath of Life to fix death is fine). Take down a threat first then use a Wand of Cure Light Wounds or Glorious Heat+Spark (Note this got quasi errataed by a note in PFS rules and doesn't work with it). If 3.5 material is go, there are at least 2 methods of getting free healing to half HP, completely RAI, though a feat (Healing Hands reserve feat and Dragonic Aura Vigor)

Novawurmson
2012-04-21, 11:59 PM
I'm personally a big fan of the Oracle, but Cleric, Inquisitor, Paladin, and Druid work just fine, too. Life Oracle is probably the best "healer" in the game, but Clerics and Druids are nice in their ability to reset their spells every day if you pick poor ones or the situation changes. Inquisitor is nice for archery builds, and paladins are very nice for melee builds. Make sure you look over the feats from Ultimate Magic if you make a Paladin; quite a few of them add nice effects to your lay on hands.

Not a Forgotten Realms player, so I can't help with deities. If PF gods are allowed, however (http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Cayden_Cailean)...

Edit: Something to consider is how big your party is. Clerics have the best Channel Energy, which only gets more efficient the bigger the party is.

Corlindale
2012-04-22, 01:48 AM
Oracles are fun! They play very differently depending on which Mystery you choose, so take a look at the list and see if anything appeals.

Battle, Heavens , Life and Lore are some of the popular ones, but they all have nice revelations to offer.

Which deity fits best depends on what mystery you get - but note that Oracles do not have to be as tied to a particular deity as clerics. It also depends on what kind of character you want to roleplay. Lathander is your iconic anti-undead, sun, healing, hope-guy, he will probably fit well in any campaign. Very appropriate for a Life Oracle.

I also recommend being human if you play Oracle, because the favoured class bonus nets you a ton of extra spells known - covering up the Oracle's main weakness nicely.

Empedocles
2012-04-22, 01:52 AM
Oracle is fun, inquisitor is fun, and from what I hear an alchemist is a ton of fun to play.

Bharg
2012-04-22, 10:49 AM
What exactly do you think the group is still lacking?

Will a bard and two rangers be able to fill the roleof the rogue?

Also, I really don't know about the Oracle. The oracle's curses seem pretty terrible and I don't really consider myself a fan of spontaneous casters.

Cleric; extremely customizable with Domains and one of the best warrior classes in the game to boot (yes, in PF too). [...]

One of the best warrior classes? Uhm, really? How? We had a cleric in some previous group and he didn't feel all that useful. Probably wasn't the best player, though.

I already thought about playing a cleric (or even a mystic theurge - Are they as weak as people on this forums seem to think they are?), but I don't want to end up as a walking band-aid or just as a buffer.

Given the campaign setting, any 3.5 material allowed?[...]

Yes, knowing the master, but I don't expect too much optimization. I can't say for sure though, since I don't really know the new group yet.

deuxhero
2012-04-22, 10:53 AM
Yeah, Alchemist, picking up Infusion discovery is a great buffer, which is nice when you have 3 martials in your party (actually, what do the two rangers do? Are either of them Archers?).

The heal spells are on your list, so Wand of Cure Light Wounds needs no UMD.

Eldariel
2012-04-22, 11:01 AM
One of the best warrior classes? Uhm, really? How? We had a cleric in some previous group and he didn't feel all that useful. Probably wasn't the best player, though.

I already thought about playing a cleric (or even a mystic theurge - Are they as weak as people on this forums seem to think they are?), but I don't want to end up as a walking band-aid or just as a buffer.

They have some of the best self-buffs in the game; Divine Favor, Righteous Might, Divine Power for instance. Divine Power was nerfed in PF but it's still potent. Once you can quicken these spells on yourself (Quicken Divine Favor for +3/+3 is doable on level 9) you become quite darn good at fighting.

You also have access to Battle Cleric ACF (tho loses Domains) or Domain Powers and you can provide the game's best buffs (Greater Magic Weapon, Magic Vestment) for yourself. And you have spellcasting. You do need the appropriate stats (mostly high Strength, high Wis, decent Con) for a proper Melee Cleric though.

Also, Cleric spell list has lots of good control spells for combat; you don't have to be a walking bandaid or such. That's simply not how 3.5/PF Clerics are designed, though unfortunately many people think it's the way they should be played. Yeah, Wands of Cure Light Wounds are the primary source of healing; your spellslots are just a backup. And buffs should be longlasting buffs out of combat. Wrote a quick guide to 3.5 Cleric spells; might be applicable to you too:
Offense:
Level 1
Cause Fear: Nice Will Save-or-Lose as long as the HD limit isn't a problem; unfortunately single-target. Close range.
Command: Nice Will Save-or-Suck. Again, though, single-target. Close range.

Level 2
Hold Person: Humanoid SoL. Handy. Medium range.
Shatter: Destroy weapons, armor, etc. Nice combination with Dispels and such. Close range.
Silence: Caster Will SoL, or no-save effect if you have some control effects to prevent opponent from leaving the covered area. Also, nice readied action to screw spellcasting. Long range (!!) multi-target.
Sound Burst: Meh damage, with Fort-or-Stun. If you have someone to CDG the stunned guy, it's alright. The damage isn't the reason to pick it. Close range multi-target.
Spiritual Weapon: It's a decent damage spell, especially since Cleric BAB is pretty good; it'll keep attacking for effectively the entire combat and it takes only a move action to redirect.

Level 3
Bestow Curse: Will SoS. Clerics have lots of these. Good for debuffing Planar Bound creatures or such. Touch range.
Blindness/Deafness: Blindness is an excellent debuff. Fort SoS basically. Medium range.
Dispel Magic: Magic is very powerful, so ability to stop magic is absolutely incredible. Disable Fighter's gear, remove buffbots buffs, save your allies from variety of SoLs, infinitely powerful. Medium range multi-target.
Invisibility Purge: Well, not really offense, but still. 5'/level range.
Searing Light: Deals crap damage to living or slightly less crap damage to undead. Yuck. Medium range ray.

Level 4
Dimensional Anchor: Well, only way you'll ever kill those outsiders. Medium range.
Dismissal: Basically amounts to a limited Will SoD. Close range. It's nice 'cause you can make it notably harder than normal spell of yours to resist by using stuff the target hates with the spell.
Poison: Fort Save-or-BeHurtBad. Meh. Touch range. Yuck.

Level 5
Greater Command: Multitarget Command that lasts until they make a save. Pretty useful, if high level. Close range, 30' between victims, mind-affecting.
Plane Shift: Everyone knows of the spells transportation capabilities, but as long as your target cannot Plane Shift, sending someone to say...Positive Energy Plane is a very good way of killing people. Basically a Will SoD with Touch Range.
Slay Living: Fort SoD with some consolation damage. Touch.
Symbol of Pain: Symbols are fun. Paint a bunch of 'em on some item, reveal it and watch opposition roll saves. Rubber balls are pretty nice, for example. Your armor is a good place too. This one is practically a SoS.
Symbol of Sleep: See above. Nice little slumberparty here. Though Mind-Affecting begins to be a problem on these levels.

Level 6
Banishment: Like Dismissal, except stronger.
Blade Barrier: Meh, it's a solid battlefield morphing ability that's also Ref-or-Take-Some-Damage. Not bad. Medium range.
Greater Dispel Magic: See Dispel Magic.
Harm: Fort or Take Damage. Meh. Fine for e.g. channeling tho. Touch.
Symbol of Fear: See Symbol of Pain. Basically SoL version. Annoyingly Mind-Affecting.
Symbol of Persuasion: See Symbol of Pain. Basically SoL version. Annoyingly Mind-Affecting.
Undeath to Death: Great for killing undead. Medium range 40' bunch.

Level 7
Blasphemy/Dictum/Holy Word/Word of Chaos: Boost your caster level and world will tremble. No-save death or at least be screwed depending on your CL. Only SR can save people here (and with your buffed CL, rarely).
Destruction: Fort SoD. Close range. Nice 10d6 consolation damage.
Dimensional Lock: Like Dimensional Anchor, except gotta somehow restrict opponent's movement, but it offers no save.
Symbol of Stunning: See Symbol of Pain, SoL version.
Symbol of Weakness: See Symbol of Pain, SoS version (most characters can't carry their stuff after that Fort-damage).

Level 8
Earthquake: A rather versatile offense spell that can be used to lock down opponents or such depending on terrain. Damage isn't impressive but the conditions it can impose, often without save, are. Also nicely stops activity while it's going. If DM says the save stops the Pinned-condition too, it becomes much worse.
Fire Storm: Deals a bunch of damage. Meh.
Symbol of Death: See Symbol of Pain, SoD version.
Symbol of Insanity: See Symbol of Pain, Will SoD version. Meh at mind-affecting.

Level 9
Miracle: It does everything, most without XP cost. Just about the best level 9 spell in the game.
Gate: Solars are good.
Implosion: Boom Boom. Kinda expensive, but at least it can kill multiple folks.
Field Alteration + Ally Generation:
Level 1
Obscuring Mist: Nice way to stop annoying targeted spells, archery and such. Gives melee full miss chance thoo. Limits yourself too tho. Personal range.
Summon Monster I: See the Malconvoker Handbook.

Level 2
Darkness: Older version of Darkness. Touch range, can toss the object or such.
Summon Monster II: See the Malconvoker Handbook.

Level 3
Animate Dead: Material components are kinda meh. Eternally usable and faithful underlings are pretty handy though, if you can afford them.
Daylight: Mostly when dealing with Underdark races, Undead and such. Touch like Darkness.
Deeper Darkness: Sorta like Darkness. Unfortunately, it's not as Dark as it should be. Fogs >>> Darkness. Touch like Darkness.
Stone Shape: I don't honestly need to state in how many ways morphing stone can be useful, do I? Touch.
Summon Monster III: See the Malconvoker Handbook.
Wind Wall: Pretty nice especially in larger conflicts where large squads of archers are a concern. There are pretty few ways archers can by RAW shoot through this, though you could argue that big enough bows and force projectiles would.

Level 4
Control Water: Very nice when water is available for drowning places, killing waterbreathing creatures in shallow waters and such. Just, useful. Long range.
Giant Vermin: You shouldn't really bother with anything less than Gargantuans, but with CL buffs those are available pretty quickly and particularly Colossal Scorpion is very efficient even against CR 20 challenges as long as the area is thus that they cannot just fly away (you can help with that); they have very high Attack-stats and the poisons are extremely potent.
Lesser Planar Ally: Solid allies, even if it's expensive to call. Try to call 'em when it falls under the "strongly ties to creature's ethos"; that's free and the XP cost isn't really that major. And Outsiders are pretty darn good allies.
Summon Monster IV: See the Malconvoker Handbook.

Level 5
Insect Plague: Swarms are hardy, but unfortunately not very damaging at this point anymore. The Distraction-function is handy, but beyond that it's not very good. Long range tho.
Summon Monster V: See the Malconvoker Handbook.
Wall of Stone: One of Wizard's best battlefield control spells is no worse for Cleric. Isolate enemies, buy time, block entries, make death prisons, whatever. Reflex if used to encase people. Medium range.

Level 6
Animate Object: Unfortunately Animated Objects have horrible BAB and such so they don't hit much. The special attacks are somewhat usable tho. Generally best with Permanency. Medium range.
Antilife Shell: A very strong defensive buff, here because you can morph the battlefield with it. Living creatures simply can't approach the area around you. NO SAVE! 10' radius.
Create Undead: Some of the undead are very useful. This is an expensive spell, but as the undead can multiply, provided it's not against your alignment, this can be very very handy.
Planar Ally: See Lesser Planar Ally.
Summon Monster VI: See the Malconvoker Handbook.

Level 7
Control Weather: Slow to cast, but great for demolishing armies, cities and such. Not quite as strong as the 5th level Druid-spell Control Winds, but much more versatile.
Repulsion: Like Antilife Shell vs. anything, but with Will-save to negate. I don't like it nearly as much.
Summon Monster VII: See the Malconvoker Handbook.

Level 8
Antimagic Field: Magic's good, all that jazz. Also, Initiate of Mystra makes this the most one-sided, unfair spell ever. 10' radius (suggest Widening; see Rules Compendium for relevant stuff regarding rules on this, it always confuses people).
Create Greater Undead: See Create Undead.
Summon Monster VIII: See the Malconvoker Handbook.

Level 9
Miracle: It does everything, most without XP cost. Just about the best level 9 spell in the game.
Gate: Solars are good.
Summon Monster IX: See the Malconvoker Handbook.
Defense + Buff:
Level 1
Bless: Not amazing, but every bonus is a bonus. The more characters, the better.
Endure Elements: Eh, obvious utility.
Magic Stone: Handy buff for Sling-users. Note that sling is a solid ranged level 1 weapon for high Str types, being quite light, almost free and adding Str to damage.
Magic Weapon: Handy buff for anyone. If a bit small.
Protection from Alignment: Great buff, stops all mind control in addition to solid Deflection/Resistance.
Sanctuary: Obvious utility, you aren't attacking anyways, so... Also can be used to protect another, who's about to go down.
Shield of Faith: Touch-spell that grants nice Deflection-bonus to AC.

Level 2
Aid: Mostly just Bless with few additional Temp HP. Pretty weak beyond the first levels.
Align Weapon: Occasionally absolutely crucial with early opponents packing some pesky DRs.
Bull's Strength & al.: Handy early on.
Resist Energy: Great vs. casters and energy-based creatures and just environment.

Level 3
Magic Circle against Alignment: Like Protection, except area-of-effect and stops summoned creatures and such. Handy. 10' area.
Magic Vestment: One of the best buffs in the game, allows you to, especially in conjuction with Animated Shields and such, give everyone decent AC. Use with caster level boosters for early +5s all day.
Meld into Stone: Fine "Invisibility"-substitute that's not trumped by most spells. It's hard to detect your presence without heavy magical scanning.
Prayer: Short-duration Bless (with Luck-bonus tho) and a penalty to enemies. Meh.
Protection from Energy: Like Resist Energy except complete immunity to certain threshold. I prefer Resist Energy though sometimes, when taking huge blazing balls of fire, this is better.
Water Breathing: Too obvious.
Water Walk: Yeah.

Level 4
Air Walk: Obvious. Notably, you still walk so stuff depending on jumping and such should work normally. Nice duration, though not 1h/level. Touch.
Imbue with Spell Ability: Divine Favor is a nice one, for example. Personal spells in general.
Greater Magic Weapon: Like Magic Vestment, except for weapons. The nice part is that Clerics can buff their CL like crazy so you'll have +5s in the mid-teens. Close range.
Spell Immunity: Stuff such as Enervation and such is very solid to protect people from. Touch.

Level 5
Disrupting Weapon: Kills undead. Handy in Undead-heavy scenarios. With iteratives, it amounts to a whole ton of SoDs vs. Undead. Touch-range.
Spell Resistance: 12+CL is a nice amount, without cap, especially for a Cleric. It's Touch so it can be used to ward the entire party and it's nice 10 min/level (if it only were 1 hour/level...).
True Seeing: Too obvious.

Level 6
Mass Bull's Strength & al.: When you have hordes of servants/underlings/whatever, these can be worthwhile. Party will just buy gear.
Heroes' Feast: Extend it for 24-hour Fear-immunity and Morale-bonus to Hit and Will-saves. One is enough to feed the entire party and then some. Should be staple once you get it given the DCs of the fear auras some creatures have.
Wind Walk: Kinda like your version of Teleport. Nice travel-spell if actual Teleportation is not available.
Word of Recall: Solid replication of one function of Teleportation. Nice overall.

Level 7
Ethereal Jaunt: Decent escape spell tho only 1 round/level and Personal.
Refuge: Nice "Oh ****"-Contingency to give to e.g. party Rogue or someone else bound to get into trouble alone.

Level 8
Cloak of Chaos/Holy Aura/Shield of Law/Unholy Aura: Decent defensive alignment-buffs, though they unfortunately don't stack with common protective items. There's still the "successful attack requires will-save vs. Confusion" and multi-targeting going on for it tho. Again, very solid if you have unequipped underlings.
Greater Spell Immunity: Good for the same reason Spell Immunity is good.

Level 9
Astral Projection: You pay some for effective immortality, especially combined with Plane Shift. Basically, you create a clone of yourself, for which dying doesn't make any difference. It's great how Plane Shift is a level 5 spell for Clerics. Multitarget.
Etherealness: Handy for bypassing places and spying on things and killing ethereal issues and so on. And for staying out. I don't like spending level 9 slots on this tho.
EDIT: Terminology: SoS = Save or Suck. SoD = Save or Die.

grarrrg
2012-04-22, 11:08 AM
(or even a mystic theurge - Are they as weak as people on this forums seem to think they are?)

Self-answering question is self-answering.
You'd have to ask that question elsewhere to get a less-biased answer.

If, and that's a BIG _if_, you start at a high enough level, AND there is a lack of/need for Divine and Arcane casters, then Mystic Theurge is decent, not good, not awesome, just decent.
Also, the generally agreed upon PF 'optimization' of Mystic Theurge generally consists of going Sorcerer with the Empyreal (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/archetypes/paizo---sorcerer-archetypes/wildblooded/empyreal) Cross-bloodline, so you can use WIS for both side's casting.
("Optimization" in this sense means you've already accepted being behind in caster levels, so the 1 more from Sorcerer isn't going to hurt any worse)

Corlindale
2012-04-22, 02:39 PM
Also, I really don't know about the Oracle. The oracle's curses seem pretty terrible and I don't really consider myself a fan of spontaneous casters.

Some of the curses are really pretty minor. Tongues is basically negated as soon as the other party members spend a rank in Linguistics to learn that strange language you keep using in battle (though you forsake the use of language-dependent spells). But if you don't like spont. casters it's probably not the choice for you.

I wouldn't go Mystic Theurge, it's usually a trap. You'll get sick of being those 3 levels behind everyone, especially early-game. Instead you should just get domains that provide some of the spells you would want from the arcane lists. And as Eldariel said, the cleric list has a number of very nice spells that aren't just for bandaid purposes.

Druids are also solid options, they get a bit more access to blasting and battlefield control, while still having access to many of the core divine spells (though sometimes delayed). And Wild Shape is highly useful, even if it doesn't approach the power of 3.5 wildshape.

marcielle
2012-04-22, 07:02 PM
Assuming the rangers are melee, you really have close quarters covered. I'd suggest a full caster or a ranged.

Monks are sorta viable in PF, as Zen Archer just RAINS arrows.

Clerics are ALWAYS useful. The secret to truly successful meelee cleric is to have your major buffs up before the fight starts, or you waste several rounds doing squat. Your 2 rangers oughta help you with that.

Summoners provide powerful melee AND great buff dispensers, which in a group with so much meelee, will be invaluable. Droppping haste on 2 rangers a fighter being topped up by a bard? Helloooo havoc:smallbiggrin:. And from a 2ND level slot. Don't forget the free double rounds. You can lay buffs and eat face at the same time.

Another wizard in the party can never hurt. Be a specialist though. Universalists are pretty hosed in PF. Maybe take an exotic subschool.

Alchemist, with mutagens, bombs and wierd spellcasting can fill in for any member that gets downed. You'll want to specialize in one aspect but you CAN do the other things if need be.

Druids are still powerfull at everything. You know the deal. Bears riding bears summoning bears with lightining spewing forth from their paws. Really, I don't think anyone on this forum needs to be told why Druids are good.

Asumming the challenges are scaled up for having a 6 man party, I'd suggest against debuffs. Either you'll be fighting many many enemies or you'll be fighting one huger than DCs are balanced against one.

As for dieties, my personal favorite are Desna(outright best domains), Kythis(for being a MAD GOD), Zon-Kuthon(the only god with the pretty fun Darkness domain) and Lamashtu( only god with the powerful Madness domain).

deuxhero
2012-04-22, 07:07 PM
Haunted Dark Tapestry Words of Power Oracle could be cool, though better suited to say... Ravenloft.

marcielle
2012-04-22, 07:10 PM
Words of Power always seemed really inferior to me unless cast spontaneously. Even then, the versatility given seems to boil down to minor shaping of spell parameters. Maybe I'm missing something though.

deuxhero
2012-04-22, 07:18 PM
Cool flavor wise, not mechanical.

One point of interest though is that Haunted Oracles get more bonus spells (which can be used as standard on a Words of Power character), though one overlap with Dark Tapestry.

grarrrg
2012-04-22, 08:07 PM
As for dieties, my personal favorite are Desna(outright best domains), Kythis(for being a MAD GOD), Zon-Kuthon(the only god with the pretty fun Darkness domain) and Lamashtu( only god with the powerful Madness domain).

What no love for Cayden Cailean (http://www.pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Cayden_Cailean)?

He is the god of Ale and Whores! (mostly ale)

(ok, just ale, but still...)

marcielle
2012-04-22, 08:29 PM
Because I'm a teetotaler:smallbiggrin:

DrDeth
2012-04-22, 09:06 PM
Party needs healing and buffing, thus a Life Oracle or a Cleric.

grarrrg
2012-04-22, 09:30 PM
Party needs healing and buffing, thus a Life Oracle or a Cleric.

Actually, to fit the party "theme" he should be Inquisitor. Divine Casting w/6 Skills per level. :smalltongue:

OH! And he should then be a Dwarf for the Wis bonus.
Or if he does go Oracle then Halfling is fine too....

Eldariel
2012-04-22, 10:00 PM
Actually, to fit the party "theme" he should be Inquisitor. Divine Casting w/6 Skills per level. :smalltongue:

OH! And he should then be a Dwarf for the Wis bonus.
Or if he does go Oracle then Halfling is fine too....

I trust you've heard of Cloistered Cleric, sir. Besides, Clerics are the best class for anything anyways. Though healing sucks so better not do that.

grarrrg
2012-04-22, 10:38 PM
I trust you've heard of Cloistered Cleric, sir. Besides, Clerics are the best class for anything anyways. Though healing sucks so better not do that.

And I trust you've noticed the PF tag and realized that PF Cloister Clerics (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/cleric/archetypes/paizo---cleric-archetypes/cloistered-cleric) are... sub-par.
4 skills/level, and only _1_ domain.

Khosan
2012-04-22, 10:40 PM
Words of Power always seemed really inferior to me unless cast spontaneously. Even then, the versatility given seems to boil down to minor shaping of spell parameters. Maybe I'm missing something though.

Using Words of Power in a campaign I'm in right now as an Oracle of Lore. My recommendation would be to not, unless you can get some heavy houserules to help it out.

It looks like it adds some flexibility, but it dramatically reduces the number of spells potentially available to you.

EDIT: The best aspect of it doesn't really come into play until later levels, at which point you can essentially cast several low level spells all at once, or piggy back a useful low level spell on to a higher level spell to increase the DC (once did this with Slay and Paralyze Humanoid, because I wanted to stop someone who I thought was a lot healthier from running, it, uh...ended bad for them).

Eldariel
2012-04-22, 11:25 PM
And I trust you've noticed the PF tag and realized that PF Cloister Clerics (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/cleric/archetypes/paizo---cleric-archetypes/cloistered-cleric) are... sub-par.
4 skills/level, and only _1_ domain.

They do quite fine still. Not terrific but passable. I'd far rather have 1 Domain & Cleric list than Inquisitor casting, that's for sure :smalltongue:

Bharg
2012-04-23, 06:37 AM
Are there some feats you don't want to miss as a cleric?
What do you in the early levels when most spells only seem to have a duration of single round?

Also where can I find that battle cleric thing?

Edit: Found out one of the rangers is ranged.

Eldariel
2012-04-23, 07:26 AM
Are there some feats you don't want to miss as a cleric?
What do you in the early levels when most spells only seem to have a duration of single round?

If you have good Str you're a perfectly competent warrior early on (only 1 BAB behind for the first 4 levels) without any spell assistance. You also have access to combat spells like Command and Cause Fear. A Bless is probably not a bad idea in such a warrior-heavy party either.

Feats, well, Extend Spell and Quicken Spell are great. Beyond that, it varies. Remember, in PF Clerics are automatically proficient with their deity's favored weapon so if you pick a Cleric with some awesome Martial Weapon like Guisarme or even just Greatsword, you'd get free access to basically all you need. Obviously, since you two-hand and will have good bonuses on To Hit, Power Attack should be interesting for you.

Also where can I find that battle cleric thing?

Hm, tried to look for it but couldn't find it. Maybe it got dropped somewhere along the way; it used to basically lose you domains for full BAB but can't find it, it seems.

Chained Birds
2012-04-23, 07:27 AM
Battle Cleric (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/cleric/archetypes/paizo---cleric-archetypes/crusader) I believe?

Though it could also mean a cleric built for melee or ranged combat instead of an actual archetype.

Bharg
2012-04-23, 10:10 AM
So is picking fighter feats a common thing among clerics?

I would kind of like to hear what the best choices for a human cleric would be.

Also what about the channel feature. Is it worth it to spend feats on things like selective channeling?

grarrrg
2012-04-23, 10:45 AM

Also what about the channel feature. Is it worth it to spend feats on things like selective channeling?

Just a few random-ish things to throw out there.

Holy Vindicator (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/e-h/holy-vindicator) PrC is worth a look if you plan on fighting. Full Bab, 3/4 casting, progresses your Channel dice (but not your Domains).
Most of the other 'cleric-ish' PrC's either require a specific Deity, or are more Casting focused.

Guided Hand (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/-guided-hand) feat can get you Wis-to-hit with your Deity's favored weapon.
There is also the Guided (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapons-non-core/weapon-property---guided) weapon enchantment, but that is currently subject to some debate. Ask your DM

Eldariel
2012-04-23, 11:24 AM

Default Channel is pretty cruddy; I'd trade it away if at all possible. If not, well, unless you can convert it into something useful I'd just ignore it. No point in wasting feats on a class feature you aren't going to be using much. It's a small amount of free out-of-combat healing though so there's that at least. If you channel negative energy, Channel Smite could be good. Other than that I wouldn't bother tho.

Item Creation feats are fine if the campaign feels like that. Combat feats too. Just kinda roll with it; casters don't really need much in terms of feats. A small amount of metamagic is all you need as a combat Cleric.