PDA

View Full Version : Hide and Concealment

Bloodgruve
2012-04-21, 10:18 AM
Quick question,

If you successfully hide vs an enemy in combat do you have concealment or total concealment? This would be using Hide in Plain Sight while having concealment to start.

TYVM
Blood~

Curmudgeon
2012-04-21, 11:14 AM
That's not really the right question to ask. What you want to ask is: What are the consequences of being hidden?

You get +2 to hit someone who can't see you.
They are denied their DEX bonus to AC against your attacks.
Because they don't have line of sight to you, they cannot target you. Moreover, they don't even know what square you're in: they don't know which one to attack, and if they guess right they still have a 50% chance of missing.
This last point is effectively the same as having total concealment from that particular character who failed to Spot you, but only for the round in which your Hide check beat their opposed Spot. If the rolls had gone the other way you'd just have the normal 20% chance from ordinary concealment.

Bloodgruve
2012-04-21, 11:16 AM
Much appreciated Curmudgeon, that was what I was looking for.

Blood~

Bloodgruve
2012-04-21, 05:20 PM
Another quick question, if I am successfully hidden from an enemy, can that enemy cast spells that target me?

TYVM
Blood~

Ranting Fool
2012-04-21, 05:39 PM
Another quick question, if I am successfully hidden from an enemy, can that enemy cast spells that target me?

TYVM
Blood~

If they need line of sight to you. No they can't target you. If it's a fireball and they know you are "kinda" over there then yes they can blast you (though I'm quite sure you get a bonus to save if you have good cover)

Edit: Though i'm sure there are some spells that aren't AoE but don't need to see you, they could summon a monster with a sense to find you. Maybe a "Anyone hearing/seeing this must make save" would work

CGforever!
2012-04-22, 12:37 PM
You get +2 to hit someone who can't see you.

Can I ask where you got this from? I'm not arguing, I just didn't know this rule.

Darrin
2012-04-22, 02:43 PM
Can I ask where you got this from? I'm not arguing, I just didn't know this rule.

From the Invisible condition in the SRD:

"Invisible: Visually undetectable. An invisible creature gains a +2 bonus on attack rolls against sighted opponents, and ignores its opponents’ Dexterity bonuses to AC (if any)."

Before the Rules Compendium, it was sorta implied that a hidden attacker is treated as invisible, but the Rules Compendium makes it explicit:

"If you’re successfully hidden with respect to another creature, that creature is flat-footed with respect to you. That creature treats you as if you were invisible."

CGforever!
2012-04-22, 03:47 PM
"If you’re successfully hidden with respect to another creature, that creature is flat-footed with respect to you. That creature treats you as if you were invisible."

I wish I'd known this a long time ago. Thanks!

Curmudgeon
2012-04-22, 10:59 PM
I wish I'd known this a long time ago. Thanks!
Note that not all games use Rules Compendium. (Rules Compendium proclaims itself as the ultimate rules source, but the official D&D rules elsewhere don't actually allow it to override the three primary source books. That means each individual DM gets to decide which parts, if any, of RC to use in their games.) Other than explicitly stating the benefit as if invisible (rather than that being implicit in being visually undetectable), the big RC change here is adding the flat-footed condition instead of just denying DEX bonus to AC. Being flat-footed also prevents the opponent from taking immediate actions ─ but only those that involve you, which is pretty weird. And that means if you're hidden you can make use of abilities specific to having a flat-footed enemy, like using an Iaijutsu Focus check (from Oriental Adventures) to deal extra damage.