PDA

View Full Version : Holding the Charge- Mass Touch Spell?

NeoSeraphi
2012-04-21, 11:39 AM
There's a weird phrase in the SRD that I'd like some clarification on. This probably should go in the RAW discussion thread, but I think it might require a bit of back-and-forth for me to truly understand it. Here's the text:

If you don’t discharge the spell in the round when you cast the spell, you can hold the discharge of the spell (hold the charge) indefinitely. You can continue to make touch attacks round after round. You can touch one friend as a standard action or up to six friends as a full-round action. If you touch anything or anyone while holding a charge, even unintentionally, the spell discharges.

So...if you touch all six of your friends at the same time, does that mean that they each gain the benefits of the touch spell? Do you discharge the spell onto all of them, allowing you to cast, say, cure critical wounds on the entire party (assuming they are all adjacent to you, so it's really only useful for pre-battle buffing or post-battle healing, both of which would only help the party overall and make it more appealing to spontaneous casters to put some spells known into buffs).

If I'm reading this right, I've been playing low-level games all wrong. With a single lesser vigor, I could heal everyone in the group by 11 after a battle at level 1. That would really help keep the party going all day.

Aracor
2012-04-21, 11:57 AM
No. That phrase is referring to specific spells that allow you to touch more than one thing.

Example: Pass without trace (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/passWithoutTrace.htm), which allows you to touch one person per level with it. If a spell discharges after a single touch, then it's gone and you can't get more benefit from it.

NeoSeraphi
2012-04-21, 11:59 AM
Oh, I've never actually seen a spell that had that type of target before. Alright then, thanks for the info. That makes much more sense.