PDA

View Full Version : Letter Verification Sucks!

HalfGrammarGeek
2012-04-21, 01:03 PM
I hate that my first post is negative, but seriously, it sucks something that the forum rules prohibit me from saying. I just spent a full five minutes registering, because I had to keep cycling through the illegible codes so I could solve the almost-legible one by trial-and-error.

I know, five minutes, boo hoo! But I was told this is a friendly place, and my first experience made me feel like I just hacked into the Pentagon. What's the deal?

Savannah
2012-04-21, 01:13 PM
Welcome to the Playground! I'm sorry you had such a hard time as your first experience :smallfrown:

My understanding is that the various security measures come from a high number of spam bots attempting to register. Even with the security we do get the occasional bot making its way through.

Hope the rest of your stay is much easier! :smallsmile:

RabbitHoleLost
2012-04-21, 01:31 PM
Trust me, buddy, I sympathize!
Due to a wipe of my browser's history, I had to apply for a password change, and it took me six or seven times to be able to read the captcha, ONTOP of identifying the OotS character. It is a bit of a pain, but I don't think any of those in charge can change the captchas, can they?
I know that there are definitely some that are easier to read than others.

Roland St. Jude
2012-04-21, 04:50 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Congratulations! You've just hacked into the Pentagon! (Or its equivalent!)

Seriously though, sorry for your inconvenience, but we're aware of the relative inconvenience and it's what's needed for anti-spam purposes at this time.

Also, welcome to the forum. Good job posting your issue in the right subforum. If you have any other board issues, you may find a browse through this subforum helpful. Most issues have been posted and officially responded to with some frequency.