PDA

View Full Version : Eldgar, Land of Guilds: Choose Your Allegiance

Pages : [1] 2 3

Admiral
2012-04-21, 01:16 PM
"Well, any questions?"

The gruff dwarf captain in front of you leans back, chewing his tobacco. You are on the deck of the Santiago, the longship you've been aboard for almost three weeks, and are now but a few hours from your destination.

When the captain had asked all the passengers to come on deck for a meeting, you hadn't been sure what to expect. You and the other five passengers had gathered on board, each examining the others. The gathering turned out to be a courtesy he extends to all new immigrants. He sat you down on some crates, told you the history of Eldgar, warned you of its dangers, and offered some advice of how to survive in its unusual society.

(Same as was posted on the recruitment thread):

Eldgar was once a democracy, the only one in a world dominated by monarchy, theocracy and feudalism. The continent thrived under this rule, especially the enormous city at its center, Providencia. However, factions within it soon accumulated great political and economic power, so great that its democratic government had little relevance to the continent's defense, to the rule of law, or indeed to the residents' lives.

In the Collapse of 929, almost fifty years ago, the Eldgarian government finally dissolved. Shockingly, the collapse of the government was not followed by war, by anarchy, or by conquest. Instead, the same powerful factions that had usurped the government's power now absorbed its responsibilities. This has led to a society unlike any that this world or any other has ever seen before.

Eldgar is now ruled equally by four Guilds, each a broad allegiance formed through a common interest. They have their names, but everyone knows them as The Church, The Firm, The Institute, and The Syndicate.

The Church is a religious hierarchy that unifies the worshippers of every known deity into a single hierarchy. Its ranks of paladins, clerics and monks make up a network of soldiers and healers who promote The Church and its mission.

The Firm developed from a continual accumulation of mergers and acquisitions between merchants and mercenaries alike, and now oversees a thousand services once provided by independent businessmen. It is responsible for most imports and exports from the continent, controls a system of farms and manufacturers, and even runs an efficient messenger system to anywhere in the continent. It also maintains a vast network of bounty hunters and mercenaries, and few who cross it can ever escape its reach. It an enormous, amoral bureaucracy devoted to one goal: profit.

The Institute considers itself a university- it is devoted to education and the expansion of knowledge. It would be just as accurate, however, to call it a factory of Arcane magic. Its ranks are composed mostly of sorcerers, wizards and bards, devoted to mastering spellcasting and expanding the power and influence of the Institute. It is also devoted to crafting and selling powerful magical items, which are its main source of income.

The Syndicate, also known as the Thieves' Guild, grew from a petty criminal organization to a ruthless cartel with a monopoly on theft, extortion, and assassination within the continent. It takes its monopoly very seriously- unauthorized criminals are likely to be hunted down by its most brutal enforcers. Despite its criminal origins, it holds a position equally legitimate to that of the other Guilds.

These four Guilds share power in a most unusual way. Any resident of the continent must become a citizen of one of the four Guilds, and by swearing his allegiance he gets taken into that Guild's protection. Guild citizenship is denoted through a magically branded insignia on the back of the right hand. Each Guild's citizenship confers its own set of benefits and responsibilities, including its own taxes and rules. (Citizens of the Church can receive healing from any of their clerics posted across the continent. Syndicate citizens are protected against theft, but are required to give up a percentage of loot from anything they steal).

Of course, nothing about this arrangement is simple. The Guilds often trade, deal and make contracts with each other, but they are also constantly scheming, sabotaging and vying for a greater share of power. Furthermore, the Guilds are far from omnipotent- the continent is large, and the farther from the city one goes the weaker their grasp becomes. Guilds thus often hire their own citizens for quests and oddjobs in the country, which range from recovery of stolen items to enforcement of Guild law.

Think carefully on this matter, and then choose your allegiance.

"Well, any questions?" he asks as he finishes his long spiel. "You need to know something, best speak up. In Eldgar, cultural misunderstandings have a tendency to turn fatal."

Before you can ask anything, you hear a shout from the dwarf sailor in the bird's nest up above. "Land ho!" he cries. If you peer out into the waters ahead, you can see the faint etches of a shoreline. It is a sight filled with mystery and danger, but also hope and promise.

Eldgar lies ahead.

HearTheRequiem
2012-04-21, 02:02 PM
The tall, red-haired woman shakes her head, and speaks, her voice soft and melodious.

"No. No questions."

At the shout of "Land ho!", she walks over to the front of the boat, and upon seeing Eldgar loom into view, she starts chanting, and a spirited, hopeful song soon fills the air.
A song speaking of hope, of the unknown, and of new experiences.

In the Church of Corellon, this song has a name.

The Song of New Beginnings.

missmvicious
2012-04-21, 02:24 PM
"Wait I did have a couple of questions about these magical tattoos." Rahne pipe in before the dwarf has to leave. Rahne appears as a pale female human with red tattoos framing her eyes and black hair tied back into a long braid. "What sort of things does this tattoo do?"

Admiral
2012-04-21, 02:30 PM
"Wait I did have a couple of questions about these magical tattoos." I pipe in before the dwarf has to leave. Rahne appears as a pale female human with red tattoos framing her eyes and black hair tied back into a long braid. "What sort of things does this tattoo do?"

"There are four symbols, one for each guild, and one is branded onto the back of your right hand to demonstrate your guild citizenship. From what I hear, the tattoo is some serious magic developed by the Institute a long time ago. It can't be added to someone's hand except by one of the guilds, and is nearly impossible to forge. Heck, I've even heard that the mark can't be disguised by illusions."

"Other than showing your allegiance to the guild, I don't think they do much of anything."

NotScaryBats
2012-04-21, 03:12 PM
The 'elven' woman who calls herself Hope looks more pensive than excited as the land of Eldgar comes into view. She has shoulder length blond hair elegantly curled into ringlets -- the eighth courtly hairstyle she has worn in the three week journey for anyone keeping track. Today, her clothing is an expensive looking dress, made of more durable materials than previous outfits she has worn, and suitable for travel. It shimmers in the sunlight.

She has been listening to the dwarf with serious concentration painted on her face, and bites her lip a bit as though mulling over which question to ask first.

"Now, darlin, how ever will we know just what guild to join? It all sounds so complicated! Why, I suppose the Firm sounds... the least dangerous of the bunch but is there someone at the immigration office to speak with in more detail? It's just a big decision is all; I'd be loathe to make it lightly."

Admiral
2012-04-21, 04:15 PM
"Now, darlin, how ever will we know just what guild to join? It all sounds so complicated! Why, I suppose the Firm sounds... the least dangerous of the bunch but is there someone at the immigration office to speak with in more detail? It's just a big decision is all; I'd be loathe to make it lightly."

The captain appears to blush under his thick beard.

"Well, m'lady, that's a choice you'll have to make for yourseves. 'Fraid there's no 'immigration office' to be spoken of- remember there's no government in these parts, just the guilds, each with its own office. And you can hardly ask them for a fair opinion.

The dwarf takes a long exhale while thinking.

"The Firm's got more types under its roof than anyone- Merchants, artisans, traders, farmers, hunters, miners, bounty hunters, bodyguards... can't run a business except with their approval. The folks who want in with the gods go to the Church, of course. And the Church offices in every cities will provide free healing to any citizen. Ain't a school of magic in the world like the Institute. And I reckon that if you were right for the Syndicate, I wouldn't have to tell you you were..."

He's talked himself in circles and trails off into mumbling.

NotScaryBats
2012-04-21, 04:28 PM
"My heavens, what a civilized mess this land seems to be," Hope says breathily. She stops to consider her options based on what she knows.

I don't trust my disguise to hold up under Church scrutiny. I've known far too many Paladin-types that would sooner kill me where I stand than hear a word from me. Oh, but I wish I could join them safely -- its just surely the fastest way to redemption.

Well, that leaves the Syndicate -- no, they're certain to just plunge me further down the road of wickedness.

Okay, the Institute... Well, shucks don't they just have the same problem as the Church? Skilled mages could likely pierce my disguise and sell me to the Church for a public execution, getting some trinket for my head.

The Firm. I know merchant types. Even if they did discover me, they'd know I was too useful to sell out lickity-split, and I am confident I could prove myself to them. I can be quite convincing when I want to be.

After her internal monologue, where she can be seen biting her bottom lip and furrowing her brow prettily, the 'elven' woman nods to herself and pipes up once again, "I do so appreciate the help, sugar. I fear we would all be quite lost without your strong leadership and," she winks "your charming demeanor." She couldn't help adding that last bit -- it was in her nature, and there was no harm in a little confidence-boosting, after all.

missmvicious
2012-04-21, 04:30 PM
Rahne ponders wether she thinks that the dwarf is accurate about the magical tattoos. Not being able to cover it up magically could be an issue for her. Then she turns her attention back to Hope's statements about choosing a guild. "For some of us I think the choice is obvious." She says then waves a hand to gesture to the paladin and cleric.

Admiral
2012-04-21, 04:33 PM
The captain grunts and looks away, apparently embarrassed. "Any other questions? We're getting closer now."

Lexin
2012-04-21, 04:34 PM
The middle-aged dwarf sits for a while apparently thinking over the story he just heard. He wears simple but practical clothing all in browns and greens. Under his wide-brimmed hat you could see him smiling in anticipation for this new beginning.

"So, tell me brother, everyone in a guild, is it? Wouldn't it make the Firm the largest one, all the 'regular folk' included?
Also it is really hard to believe that all religions get along well united as one guild... wish it could have happened at home..."

Admiral
2012-04-21, 04:41 PM
"So, tell me brother, everyone in a guild, is it? Wouldn't it make the Firm the largest one, all the 'regular folk' included?
Also it is really hard to believe that all religions get along well united as one guild... wish it could have happened at home..."

"As it happens, the Church is even larger than the Firm, though both quite a bit larger than the other two. Most of the poorer and more unfortunately population take advantage of the Church's generous charity. But I'll tell you one thing: the Firm is the richest."

The captain scratches his head. "Don't know the first thing about the gods, but I suppose it does sound like quite the trick." After thinking for a moment, he appears to remember something and jolts as if waking from a sleep. "Och, but don't start talking about the Evil gods. That's a mistake some folks from Falcor make, and it ain't good for your health."

Lexin
2012-04-21, 04:45 PM
"Och, but don't start talking about the Evil gods. That's a mistake some folks from Falcor make, and it ain't good for your health."

Yes I thought so, some things, probably fortunately for the world, are not meant to be...

HearTheRequiem
2012-04-21, 04:58 PM
The red-haired woman finishes her song, although her last note seems to linger in the air, reverberating for a second or two before fading away on the wind.

"I would be inclined to agree with your judgement of the Church, brother. When many sing together, their voices may harmonise beautifully...but with so many singing such different songs, I would expect at least some degree of dissonance.
Perhaps you would accompany me to the Church's office to find out more, should it please you?"

Lexin
2012-04-21, 05:15 PM
"Perhaps you would accompany me to the Church's office to find out more, should it please you?"

"I would be more than happy to do so, dear. I am Morgunn, of the Bolrak clan, it is an honour to meet another servant of gods. "

HearTheRequiem
2012-04-21, 05:25 PM
"I, in turn, am honoured to meet you. I am Jeanne, servant of Corellon Larethian, Knight of the Harmonious Order, and Chanter of the Sorlyn.
Might I enquire as to whom you revere?"
Her tone is light, her eyes sparkling with genuine interest.

Lexin:
Assuming Morgunn tells Jeanne the name of his god, I'd like to roll a Knowledge: Religion check, if that's okay? Depending on the result, I was hoping you could let me know a little about Morgunn's religion, it could lead to some fun interactions. :smallredface:
Here's the check:
Knowledge: Religion: [roll0]

missmvicious
2012-04-21, 05:39 PM
Rahne also privately debates about which path to choose. "The Syndicate would probably make the best use of my talents but are they the best option for me? I imagine they have plenty of rogues. Perhaps the Institute, wizards are not naturally the stealthy type but I am sure they have need for subtly and spies. They might reward me with wondrous items, but I could also just as easily lighten them from packs and save myself the effort. A place to sell my finding is always a good option, the Firm might provide that, though I wonder how many questions they would ask. I wish Dereenna would have come too. This would be so much easier with her. We could work more then one angle. Its going miserably lonely without her too." Rahne's mind drifts again to wishing that someone she knew back home had come with her. She had been surprised to hear that her best friend and her family all intended to stay in Falcor.

Lord Hakura
2012-04-21, 08:05 PM
A school of magic like no other...
I know whwee I'll be going
Verden quietly stood leaning on his staff, watching the movements of the ship.
When music suddenly fills the air, Verdens knucles witen, but he gives no other reaction.

NotScaryBats
2012-04-21, 10:33 PM
Having gleaned all that she needs from the dwarf at the moment, Hope moves on to the two priestly people.

"Beg pardon, you two, but I simply could not help but notice your prominent holy symbols. Am I correct to assume you are priests of some sort? I'm afraid I don't know much about that -- never have been a church-goer myself -- but since I'm tryin to turn over a new leaf in this new land, I wanna introduce myself. I am Hope, and it is a pleasure to meet you all.

"Even though we won't be goin into the same Guild, I surely do hope we can be friends." She smiles, revealing pearly white teeth.

missmvicious
2012-04-21, 11:17 PM
Seeing the need to make new friends (or assist) Rahne follows Hope's lead and joins the conversation. "What guild have you decided to go into Hope?" She asks casually.

NotScaryBats
2012-04-21, 11:58 PM
"Oh, Rahne, I think the merchant guild The Firm is right for me. As I was just sayin, I've never been a church-goer, and that just seems like the best fit for me. I'd love to know what a resourceful, pretty young thing like yourself is planning," Hope responds politely. She smiles warmly at the other woman, glad there is another to add to the conversation.

PChubby
2012-04-22, 01:16 AM
With a thick air of indifference about him, the burly red-headed dwarf leans against his maul as the captain gives his speech. Ornate tattoos of steins, kegs, and beer bottles adorn his arms and a large keg over a family herald adorns his shield. As the captain explains each guild, the dwarf's brow furrows as he weighs each option.

"Hrmmn. Being a Choirboy is an option, depending on how much faith is expected. I wonder if Hanseath is represented well.

The Beancounters are interesting, though greed for greed's sake can be downright annoying. I'm sure their crafters have plenty tricks of the trade to share though.

The Bookworms probably have lots of knowledge but I've never cared much for finger wigglers. They tend to be a bit to involved with their books and research.

The Syndicate? No, just no. I had enough scheming and backstabbing in the Order dealing with those rat-bastard Gravelbeards."

When the captain asks for questions, Mirus raises his hand. "Surely there are alliances and conflicts among the guilds. Which ones get along and which ones dont?"

missmvicious
2012-04-22, 01:20 AM
"I am thinking the Institute, I do have a knack for magic." Rahne says with a wink. "What do you want to do with the Firm? I might be in need of someone to help me sell all the wonderful items I'll be crafting you know."

Bluff check
[roll0]

Admiral
2012-04-22, 01:33 AM
When the captain asks for questions, Mirus raises his hand. "Surely there are alliances and conflicts among the guilds. Which ones get along and which ones dont?"

"Well," says the captain, deep in thought. "I don't reckon you could say any of them really get along."

"But if I had to say- the Church and the Institute are sincere enemies. The conflict between divine and arcane magic is taken quite seriously on this continent. And the Firm and the Syndicate are at odds, much as can be expected- many is the merchant's caravan waylaid by a gang of thieves. But I've heard that the newest conflict brewing is between the Firm and the Institute, and has something to do with a new technology the Firm has a hold of. I can't say I know any more about it than that."

NotScaryBats
2012-04-22, 02:03 AM
Hope laughs in answer to Rahne's question. "Well, I'm sure I can find a way to make myself useful. I've done diplomat work in the past, but it doesn't sound as though mediation is what the Guilds are interested in. We'll surely find out when I meet with them."

missmvicious
2012-04-22, 02:07 AM
"That reminds me," Rahne says turning towards the captain, "Captain, how do we go about finding the guilds when we first arrive?"

Lord Hakura
2012-04-22, 02:51 AM
At the mention of Divine magic and arcane magic being at odds, Verden visibly pales.
So, if say, one were to be a practitioner of both divine and arcane magic, how would one fit into the scheme of things?

Lord Hakura
2012-04-22, 02:58 AM
sense motive [roll0]
also, knowlege arcana to see if there is anything remotely magic-user looking about the rogue [roll1]

missmvicious
2012-04-22, 03:49 AM
sense motive [roll0]
also, knowlege arcana to see if there is anything remotely magic-user looking about the rogue [roll1]

FYI EVERYONE I AM DISGUISED. I DO NOT LOOK LIKE A CHANGLING ROGUE.

HearTheRequiem
2012-04-22, 04:01 AM
Having gleaned all that she needs from the dwarf at the moment, Hope moves on to the two priestly people.

"Beg pardon, you two, but I simply could not help but notice your prominent holy symbols. Am I correct to assume you are priests of some sort? I'm afraid I don't know much about that -- never have been a church-goer myself -- but since I'm tryin to turn over a new leaf in this new land, I wanna introduce myself. I am Hope, and it is a pleasure to meet you all.

"Even though we won't be goin into the same Guild, I surely do hope we can be friends." She smiles, revealing pearly white teeth.

The redhead smiles in turn, her face lighting up as she smiles at the accented elf.

"I suppose you could say that, Miss Hope. My name is Jeanne. I am a servant of Corellon Larethian, the Lord Of All Song. To put that in plain, understandable Common for you," here, she smiles again, but kindly, "he's the God of song, poetry, and inspiration. We, his worshippers, believe that there is beauty, and a song, inside everything and everyone. You may have heard me sing just now. That was the Song Of New Beginnings, the song of hopes, dreams, and a fresh start. I thought it an appropriate song with which to herald our arrival.

I'm sorry, I've just been waffling on, haven't I? You have my apologies.
I would be delighted to be your friend, Miss Hope."

Lord Hakura
2012-04-22, 04:51 AM
FYI EVERYONE I AM DISGUISED. I DO NOT LOOK LIKE A CHANGLING ROGUE.

I meant it in an ooc sense, to distinguish you from the other characters in the party. Verden has no idea what "class" you fit into.

Admiral
2012-04-22, 12:56 PM
"That reminds me," Rahne says turning towards the captain, "Captain, how do we go about finding the guilds when we first arrive?"

As soon as we dock, head straight down the main road to the city square. There you'll see the four guildhalls in a diamond. Don't dally on your way- it's not safe to have a bare right hand."

At the mention of Divine magic and arcane magic being at odds, Verden visibly pales.
So, if say, one were to be a practitioner of both divine and arcane magic, how would one fit into the scheme of things?

The captain chuckles, apparently oblivious to Verden's implication. "Well, if I ever meet such a priest-mage, I'll be sure to ask him."

Admiral
2012-04-22, 02:02 PM
As you talk, the Santiago is drawing closer to the port of the city of Cardonne. Cardonne is a moderately-sized city, and you can see a number of docks along the port, bustling with sailors moving goods and passengers on and off the ships. The city itself is filled with buildings four or five stories tall, a rare height in Falcor in all but the largest cities. You can already tell that this continent is unlike your home.

As you get closer, you notice that the port is lined with armed guards clad in brown and white armor. "Those be the colors of the Firm, the captain says to you in between commands to his crew. "They manage the ports in this harbor."

Lexin
2012-04-22, 02:31 PM
"I, in turn, am honoured to meet you. I am Jeanne, servant of Corellon Larethian, Knight of the Harmonious Order, and Chanter of the Sorlyn.
Might I enquire as to whom you revere?"

I am a servant of Odin the Allfather, also a member of Anar-din order, although I don't think the latest will hold any meaning in Eldgar.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]"Beg pardon, you two, but I simply could not help but notice your prominent holy symbols. Am I correct to assume you are priests of some sort? I'm afraid I don't know much about that -- never have been a church-goer myself -- but since I'm tryin to turn over a new leaf in this new land, I wanna introduce myself. I am Hope, and it is a pleasure to meet you all.

I am Morgunn, of the Bolrak clan, a servant of Odin. It is never too late to believe, although I am not going to force my believes on you. It is nice to meet you dear and I am happy to befriend anyone, who doesn't hold evil intentions. He accented the word 'evil' slightly looking straight into the eyes of succubus.

HearTheRequiem
2012-04-22, 02:40 PM
I am a servant of Odin the Allfather, also a member of Anar-din order, although I don't think the latest will hold any meaning in Eldgar.
Jeanne nods, listening intently.

"Odin, the one who stole the Mead of Poetry. A fine choice, brother Morgunn. I can foresee us working well together.

As for your order, you must forgive me, but I cannot profess to have knowledge of such a thing. Would you perhaps be able to teach me a little about it?"

Lexin
2012-04-22, 03:13 PM
Jeanne nods, listening intently.

"Odin, the one who stole the Mead of Poetry. A fine choice, brother Morgunn. I can foresee us working well together.

As for your order, you must forgive me, but I cannot profess to have knowledge of such a thing. Would you perhaps be able to teach me a little about it?"

Hmm, I am not surprised you haven't heard of Anar-din. It is a dwarven thing, it doesn't translate well, but means more or less 'wise wanderer'. The members dedicate themselves to gathering knowledge, and use their abilities to help others. One of the wanderers would travel around and for example cure a couple of people in a village just for a place to stay a night. Others, the ones who stayed in the stronghold, would take care of libraries and aid the clans both with advice and magic... But I guess things would change now... for one thing, last time I've seen the libraries, they were burning... I hope my brothers survived and I will see them again in the future...
Morgunn smiles faintly when he finished, a little sadness can be seen in his eyes. But then he snaps out of it and his smile widens.
But there is no need to think about the sad past when the new, full of hope, beginning is just in front of us.

Lord Hakura
2012-04-22, 03:24 PM
Adressing the captain, verden says:
You are talking to a mage-priest now, in fact. Would you be able to offer any guidance in a safer path for skmeone who is... multiskilled?
Verden doesent miss the inflection on the word evil, and his brow furrows alightly. Turning to the port, he speaks several strange words and waives his right hand. After staring at the port for a few seconds, he turns back to the group, with his eyes gloqing faintly blue.
Activating arcane sight, looking for any powerfull magic auras in the docks, making note to look at the guards. Then turning and looking over the party, particularly focusing on hope. Taking a standard action to check hope and the rogue for spellcasting abilties. I don't know how many auras are in my line of sight, but I can make spellcraft checks to identify after I know how many.

NotScaryBats
2012-04-22, 03:32 PM
Hope looks perhaps more relieved than she should be that the singing woman is amiable. She tosses a casual glance at the dwarf, but otherwise continues to talk with Jeanne.

"My, but what a pretty song you sing -- I'll reckon your services are downright melodious! Well, let's be sure to stay in touch once we land. I do so fear knowing someone from Falcor will be pleasant in this alien land."

Telepathically, "I don't mean to deceive anyone, but I'm sure you understand why I don't go skipping around in my true form. I was serious about turning over a new leaf, honest. We've all left Falcor for different reasons, and I know I never wanna go back. I do so appreciate you not forcing the issue, though -- just judge me on my actions. Why, I'd even work closely with you two priests, if you do insist on keeping up on me.

HearTheRequiem
2012-04-22, 03:33 PM
Hmm, I am not surprised you haven't heard of Anar-din. It is a dwarven thing, it doesn't translate well, but means more or less 'wise wanderer'. The members dedicate themselves to gathering knowledge, and use their abilities to help others. One of the wanderers would travel around and for example cure a couple of people in a village just for a place to stay a night. Others, the ones who stayed in the stronghold, would take care of libraries and aid the clans both with advice and magic... But I guess things would change now... for one thing, last time I've seen the libraries, they were burning... I hope my brothers survived and I will see them again in the future...
Morgunn smiles faintly when he finished, a little sadness can be seen in his eyes. But then he snaps out of it and his smile widens.
But there is no need to think about the sad past when the new, full of hope, beginning is just in front of us.

Jeanne nods, her expression that of interest, then rapidly changing to one of sympathy and pity as Morgunn tells of the fire.

"We have more in common than you may think, brother Morgunn. The Sorlyn - that is to say, those of us who sing - are like an Anar-Din of our own, if I understand correctly."

Jeanne closes her eyes, and recites the most basic tenet of her faith, the one that every Mute One is taught first, upon her induction.

"Music is the most precious thing folks can create - so encourage its training, use, and preservation at all times and in all possible ways. Awaken a love of song in all folks you can, and offer its performance freely around campfire or on the trail. Cease not in your own seeking for new tunes, new techniques, and new instruments to master."

We dedicate ourselves to learning new songs, and new instruments, as you dedicate yourself to the pursuit of knowledge. As you seek to help people, we seek to entertain. It seems we may share, in a way, a common goal.

I am sorry to hear of your brothers. I will pray for their safety at the next sunrise, when I once again perform for the Lord Of All Song.

Until then, let us rejoice, for a new song is about to start. Can you hear the waves beating time, as they crash upon the shore?"

Hope looks perhaps more relieved than she should be that the singing woman is amiable. She tosses a casual glance at the dwarf, but otherwise continues to talk with Jeanne.

"My, but what a pretty song you sing -- I'll reckon your services are downright melodious! Well, let's be sure to stay in touch once we land. I do so fear knowing someone from Falcor will be pleasant in this alien land."

Jeanne smiles warmly, her cheeks gaining perhaps a touch of red at the compliment.
"Why, thankyou, Miss Hope, that's very kind of you to say so. People do seem to enjoy our services. Why, the Midsummer Song seems to bring listeners to tears every year. If you enjoy my singing, I'm sure you would love the Midsummer Festival, and of course we would welcome you if you ever wanted to attend.

Of course, there are many of my faith who sing more beautifully than I. I'm just a Chanter, after all..for now."

Jeanne smiles ruefully at this, her eyes becoming almost wistful.

"I would be delighted to stay in touch with you, Miss Hope. Two voices singing together are much more beautiful than one, after all!"

Lexin
2012-04-22, 03:59 PM
Telepathically, "I don't mean to deceive anyone, but I'm sure you understand why I don't go skipping around in my true form. I was serious about turning over a new leaf, honest. We've all left Falcor for different reasons, and I know I never wanna go back. I do so appreciate you not forcing the issue, though -- just judge me on my actions. Why, I'd even work closely with you two priests, if you do insist on keeping up on me.

Answer [telepathy] :I am not one to judge hastily, 3 weeks we were traveling together, and you didn't do anything wrong... and it is interesting to see one of your kind stepping into right path, it so uncommon I wouldn't like to interfere with this process. But you need to understand, I cannot leave a demon walking around when I've spotted one... I guess working together is a fine idea in this case... and it seems our friend Jeanne would be happy to do so too... though if you really want to befriend her... at some point you would have to tell her the truth about yourself...

Lexin
2012-04-22, 04:05 PM
Jeanne nods, her expression that of interest, then rapidly changing to one of sympathy and pity as Morgunn tells of the fire.

"We have more in common than you may think, brother Morgunn. The Sorlyn - that is to say, those of us who sing - are like an Anar-Din of our own, if I understand correctly."

Jeanne closes her eyes, and recites the most basic tenet of her faith, the one that every Mute One is taught first, upon her induction.

"Music is the most precious thing folks can create - so encourage its training, use, and preservation at all times and in all possible ways. Awaken a love of song in all folks you can, and offer its performance freely around campfire or on the trail. Cease not in your own seeking for new tunes, new techniques, and new instruments to master."

We dedicate ourselves to learning new songs, and new instruments, as you dedicate yourself to the pursuit of knowledge. As you seek to help people, we seek to entertain. It seems we may share, in a way, a common goal.

I am sorry to hear of your brothers. I will pray for their safety at the next sunrise, when I once again perform for the Lord Of All Song.

Until then, let us rejoice, for a new song is about to start. Can you hear the waves beating time, as they crash upon the shore?"

I thing my brothers would appreciate your prayers as I would. Indeed we have much in common... although you probably wouldn't like to hear me singing...
You seem a kind and noble person, I hope we could become friends in these new lands... and new lives I guess.

missmvicious
2012-04-22, 04:19 PM
Smiling charmingly Rahne declares "I think we should all stay friends in this new land. It quite tough going to a place that you don't know anyone, and I am sure it can be beneficial to know people throughout several guilds." She then pauses and wrinkles her nose. "Except someone from the Syndicate, we might be better off with out contacts there."

HearTheRequiem
2012-04-22, 04:35 PM
I thing my brothers would appreciate your prayers as I would. Indeed we have much in common... although you probably wouldn't like to hear me singing...
You seem a kind and noble person, I hope we could become friends in these new lands... and new lives I guess.

Jeanne grows redder from the influx of compliments from both Morgunn and Hope.

"...You are very kind to say so, brother Morgunn. I hope we will become friends too."

Lord Hakura
2012-04-22, 06:09 PM
Your singing is quite impressive Jeanne, it reminds me of someone I once knew.
Morgun, I am sorry to hear the demise of your order's library, I wished to visit it someday.
This land is strange and new, it would be good to have allies, particularly ones from the same homeland. Would you be amicable to me traveling with you all, at least until we have our guildmarks?

Admiral
2012-04-22, 06:10 PM
Adressing the captain, verden says:
You are talking to a mage-priest now, in fact. Would you be able to offer any guidance in a safer path for skmeone who is... multiskilled?

The captain looks mindboggled. "Well, ummmmm... In that case I reckon you ought to..." takes the first excuse to go berate a sailor for his knotting technique.

Verden doesent miss the inflection on the word evil, and his brow furrows alightly. Turning to the port, he speaks several strange words and waives his right hand. After staring at the port for a few seconds, he turns back to the group, with his eyes gloqing faintly blue.
Activating arcane sight, looking for any powerfull magic auras in the docks, making note to look at the guards. Then turning and looking over the party, particularly focusing on hope. Taking a standard action to check hope and the rogue for spellcasting abilties. I don't know how many auras are in my line of sight, but I can make spellcraft checks to identify after I know how many.

Verden immediately sees that that every passenger is loaded with magical items- almost every weapon and piece of armor is magical (too many to name). Among the crew, he sees that the captain's axe and the first-mate's rapier are magical, as well as the captain's chain shirt, but none of the others.

Upon concentrating on Hope, Verden finds that she has spell-like abilities, and he is intrigued to find her most powerful one is a level 7 spell. What's more, he notices a magical aura surrounding her that doesn't look like it is tied to her equipment alone.

He doesn't find that Rahne has any spell-like abilities. (OOC: Changeling's Minor Change Shape is a supernatural ability, not a spell-like ability).

As soon as he is within 120 feet of the port, Verden sees a vast range of magical auras along the docks, more than he's ever seen at one time outside of a library or museum. He sees them on the right hand of every guard and dockworker and on some of the sailors, and realizes that these are the guild brands he has heard about.

Aside from those auras, Verden notices auras on some of the guards' weapons, shields, and armor, mostly the senior ones. Almost none of the cargo being unloaded looks magical, but then most of it is in large boxes.

HearTheRequiem
2012-04-22, 06:26 PM
Jeanne looks mildly, but politely, surprised as the halfling speaks at last.

"That's very kind of you to say, my friend. What may I call you?

Perhaps I knew this companion of yours, if she was a songstress of sorts. Do you think our paths may have crossed?"

NotScaryBats
2012-04-22, 06:31 PM
"Well, then we are all agreed. It sounds like we'll hafta go join our individual guilds and all, but what say we meet at sundown at one of the local inns? Surely our fearless captain knows of one that would be suitable for ladies and gentlemen such as yourselves." Hope says warmly. She turns to go interrogate the captain. As she does so, perceptive people may notice that she looks directly at Morgunn and nods slightly.

Hope terminates her telepathic communications with the dwarf, feeling confident that he was no danger to her at the moment.

If her eyes catch the blue-eyed Verden, she looks at him quizzically, but otherwise says nothing.

PChubby
2012-04-22, 06:43 PM
As the ship gets closer to the docks, Mirus approaches the group. Not wanting to be rude to the only folks he knows in this new land he waits for a lull in conversation. When an appropriate moment happens, he claps then rubs his hands together with feigned excitement. "Everyone decided on who they're joining with?" He gives Morgunn and Jeanne a quick once over and says with a grin. "The choice is pretty obvious for you two. How fare the rest of you? Think I hear the Firm calling missef. I'd be glad to accompany anyone else if they're headed down that path."

Lexin
2012-04-22, 06:44 PM
"Well, then we are all agreed. It sounds like we'll hafta go join our individual guilds and all, but what say we meet at sundown at one of the local inns? Surely our fearless captain knows of one that would be suitable for ladies and gentlemen such as yourselves." Hope says warmly. She turns to go interrogate the captain. As she does so, perceptive people may notice that she looks directly at Morgunn and nods slightly.
That's a very good idea, dear. He nods back as if he acknowledged the idea of the meeting and turns to the halfling...

Your singing is quite impressive Jeanne, it reminds me of someone I once knew.
Morgun, I am sorry to hear the demise of your order's library, I wished to visit it someday.
This land is strange and new, it would be good to have allies, particularly ones from the same homeland. Would you be amicable to me traveling with you all, at least until we have our guildmarks?

If many of my brothers survived then maybe the library will be rebuilt one day... although it will probably take years, my friend.
If I understood correctly we will get our guildmarks very shortly after we arrive. But if you wish to travel together before, or even after, I would be happy to accompany you.

Lord Hakura
2012-04-22, 06:46 PM
Finding his voice, Verden replies:
My name is Verden, pleased to meet you. I doubt you would have met the singer I refered to, she was my sister, and rarely left our home village. I am still unsure of what guild to join, so I will follow you to the church guildhouse, if you don't mind?

Spellcraft checks:
Identify the school of magic for the marks [roll0]
Identify the school of magic for the aura on hope not tied to anything [roll1]
Knowlege checks for verden to identify who or what would have that ability
knowlege the planes [roll2]
knowlege religion [roll3]
knowlege arcana [roll4]

missmvicious
2012-04-22, 07:39 PM
"I believe I am on my own heading towards the institute, correct?" Rahne checks, masking what ever nervousness she might be feeling.

Admiral
2012-04-22, 10:43 PM

You can tell the magic is epic; far more powerful than anything you've mastered. You recognize primarily a blend of the Transmutation and Abjuration schools. This strikes you as plausible; the transmutation creates the mark, and the abjuration protects it from tampering or magical concealment.

Transmutation.

knowlege arcana [roll4]

Your mind races through a compendium of magical beings and monsters that fit this description, paging mentally through a thousand tomes whose contents you've memorized in your many years of study.

Shapeshifter. Wizard or sorcerer? No, her power seems inherent. Doppelganger? No, her magical ability is too powerful, doppelgangers can only read minds. Cleric suggests she's evil, perhaps implying a devil, demon, or fiend... Of course... A beautiful female shapeshifter, with that kind of magic...

It occurs to you that you're looking at a succubus.

Lord Hakura
2012-04-22, 11:21 PM

You can tell the magic is epic; far more powerful than anything you've mastered. You recognize primarily a blend of the Transmutation and Abjuration schools. This strikes you as plausible; the transmutation creates the mark, and the abjuration protects it from tampering or magical concealment.

Transmutation.

knowlege arcana [roll4]

Your mind races through a compendium of magical beings and monsters that fit this description, paging mentally through a thousand tomes whose contents you've memorized in your many years of study.

Shapeshifter. Wizard or sorcerer? No, her power seems inherent. Doppelganger? No, her magical ability is too powerful, doppelgangers can only read minds. Cleric suggests she's evil, perhaps implying a devil, demon, or fiend... Of course... A beautiful female shapeshifter, with that kind of magic...

It occurs to you that you're looking at a succubus.

A range of emotions rapidly flick over Verden's face, confusion, disgust, fear and anger before he carefully arranges it into a blank mask.
Damn it, I knew I should have prepared detect evil this morning.
The cleric obviously knows whats going on, or at least suspects, and is content to do nothing? perhaps he is evil? or maybe not, I don't know...

I need to go about this carefully, I don't want her attacking me before I'm ready.

Making a concerted effort to suppress his emotions, Verden turns to Rahne
I believe you are, but it would be good to meet up again after business is taken care of. I may end up joining you at the institute, I am yet to made a solid descion.

missmvicious
2012-04-22, 11:31 PM
Rahne tilts her head slightly, confused by the arrange of emotions that she just saw across Verden's face, though she quickly stops herself and decides best not to say anything it. "So I think its generally agreed that we should meet up, lets stay some where nice when we arrive, I don't want to see the cities underbelly my first night. I bet its going to be a tough call for you if you practice divine and arcane magics. How does that work exactly anyway?" She asked.

NotScaryBats
2012-04-22, 11:50 PM
After discovering the name of a suitable place the captain has heard of, Hope returns to the cluster of adventurous Falcorians. "I reckon the Golden Bough'll be a nice enough place. It sounds like its a few blocks out from the Guildhalls and they cater to foreigners and immigrants. Now, I just have to go and ready my belongings and freshen up if I'm to meet with Guild Masters. If ya'all'll excuse me . . ." The tall 'elven' woman disappears belowdecks if she isn't stopped and clears out her room of the small case of clothing and cosmetics that is her only other possession.

She freshens up and adjusts her Glamored Armor to be a more elegant dress, suitable for an audience with a king.

Lord Hakura
2012-04-23, 12:49 AM
Its no great feat really... It just requires a lifetime of study, no great talent. Arcane knowledge can be obtained by study, and so can divine. Its not too large a step from having knowledge to having power.
Verden is speaking to Rahne, but doesn't take his eyes off Hope, keeping her in eye line until she dissapears below deck, with a suspiciously blank expression on his face.

missmvicious
2012-04-23, 01:06 AM
"Only a life time of dedication." Rahne repeats amused. She notices that Verden's gaze follows Hope but mostly just assumes its because he finds her attractive.

HearTheRequiem
2012-04-23, 01:45 AM
Finding his voice, Verden replies:
My name is Verden, pleased to meet you. I doubt you would have met the singer I refered to, she was my sister, and rarely left our home village. I am still unsure of what guild to join, so I will follow you to the church guildhouse, if you don't mind?

"You are more than welcome to accompany us, Verden. It is a pleasure to meet you.

...When you talk of your sister, you use the past tense. If she's no longer with you, I am truly sorry.

And yes, Miss Hope, I shall see you at The Golden Bough at sunset."

Lord Hakura
2012-04-23, 02:15 AM
"You are more than welcome to accompany us, Verden. It is a pleasure to meet you.

...When you talk of your sister, you use the past tense. If she's no longer with you, I am truly sorry."

She passed away about six months ago, and was the primary reason for me to come to Eldgar.
while its up and I'm talking to her, checking Jeanne with arcane sight. This is all just to increate what verden knows, metagame I know what you can do from your sheets ;)

HearTheRequiem
2012-04-23, 02:24 AM
She passed away about six months ago, and was the primary reason for me to come to Eldgar.
while its up and I'm talking to her, checking Jeanne with arcane sight. This is all just to increate what verden knows, metagame I know what you can do from your sheets ;)

"...I'm sorry to hear that. Verden. You have my deepest sympathies."

Jeanne looks pensive for a moment, then surreptitiously shifts forward slightly, her voice low and soft so that only Verden can hear.

"...In my faith, when one of us passes on, there's a special song that we sing, to celebrate their life and to mourn their song coming to an end. If you feel your sister would appreciate it, I would gladly perform the Song Of Sorrowing for her and you, after this meeting has finished this evening."

Jeanne is...magicked as all heck. :smalltongue:
Her armour in particular has a whole bunch of Abjuration auras, as does her cloak.

Admiral
2012-04-23, 10:54 AM
The ship draws into port. The sailors throw down ropes to the dockworkers, who tie them to the pier. The first mate lays down a gangplank, and the captain is the first to step off and meet the small Firm contingent that has arrived, led by a spectacularly dressed official.

The captain hands over some documents and a not inconsiderable amount of gold, and after some discussion he waves you to come down the gangplank. As you pass by, he says "I won't be seeing you again, mateys. Heed my warnings, and good luck."

NotScaryBats
2012-04-23, 02:14 PM
Hope somehow times it so that she returns above deck just as the gangplank is being lowered. She has an air of dignity about her with an impressive green silk dress and high heeled shoes. Gracefully walking off the boat, she pauses and lays a hand on the captain's chest, "Thank you kindly for all that you have done for us -- if I had met more men like you I never woulda had to leave Falcor."

The gorgeous 'Elven' woman then proceeds down the dock with absolute confidence, heading for the office of the Firm unless stopped.

HearTheRequiem
2012-04-23, 02:28 PM
As Hope walks down the dock, Jeanne smiles at Morgunn, and extends a hand to Verden.

"To The Church, my brothers?"

Lexin
2012-04-23, 02:47 PM
As Hope walks down the dock, Jeanne smiles at Morgunn, and extends a hand to Verden.

"To The Church, my brothers?"

To The Church, sister.

Lord Hakura
2012-04-23, 03:27 PM
Indeed, to the church.

Speaking quietly to jeanne:
I would be very gratefull if you could do that for my sister, song was a huge part of her life, and I can think of a no more fitting way to honor her memory.

missmvicious
2012-04-23, 03:51 PM
"I'll see you all tonight at sunset." Rahne says with a wave, moving quickly to put a little distance between her and her shipmates. When she feels she has enough of a lead she ducks into deserted ally way.

HearTheRequiem
2012-04-23, 04:07 PM
"I will honour her as best I can. I promise."

Jeanne leads the other two down the dock, heading for The Church's office.

PChubby
2012-04-23, 09:16 PM
The burly dwarf is the last new arrival left on the ship, he holds his hands up in front of him, waving them about and making sure he is still visible. He gives a small shrug before heading down the gangplank. He hadn't expected everyone to be so enamored with the 2 ladies that they'd ignore him but oh well.

"Thanks for getting us here safely. Where's a good spot to get a drink? After registration of course." Mirus says as he shakes the captain's hand.

After bidding the captain farewell, Mirus swings his maul up over his shoulder and head's off to join the Firm.

Admiral
2012-04-23, 11:48 PM
Everyone, except the duplicitous Rahne, makes their way towards the center of the city. While most of the population seems like it would be at home in a large Falcorian city (save for the insignia on their hands), the party notices that the city guard is made up of a veritable rainbow of affiliations: paladins whose armor displays the silver and green emblem of the Church, soldiers of the Firm clad in brown and white, warmages of the Institute dressed in purple and blue, and sinister-looking Syndicate enforcers wearing red and black. These guards peer suspiciously at the party as they pass by, and eyes seem to stare from every shadowed alleyway. Despite it being bright daylight on a crowded street, the party can't help but feel that they are in terrible danger without a sigil on their right hands. Still, the group cuts an intimidating enough figure that they are not harassed before they reach the Guildsquare.

The captain said that every major city in Eldgar has a Guildsquare, where the guildhalls do their best to communicate the majesty of their respective organizations. And indeed, this square has no difficulty awing each of the new immigrants. It consists of a large, flat expanse of concrete, with the four guildhalls arrayed in a diamond around it. On the ground in front of each hall are enormous inscriptions of that guild's insignia.

The Church guildhall is a towering cathedral, seven stories tall and ornately decorated in pictoral praise of the gods.

The Firm's hall sports large, clear glass windows (a rare sight in even the richest of households), arrayed into a grid of offices. A large barracks juts off to the north side of the building.

The Institute is based in a sandstone castle, with towers jutting off at odd angles. The open gates reveal a pleasant courtyard on the inside, and robed mages of every age wander the grounds.

The Syndicate guildhall is an imposing red and black fortress, with hardly a window in sight. Archers patrol the top, and peer down with an unfriendly eye.

Admiral
2012-04-23, 11:59 PM
"Thanks for getting us here safely. Where's a good spot to get a drink? After registration of course." Mirus says as he shakes the captain's hand.

"Well, the crew and I aren't guildmarked (never stay here more than a day or two), so we'll be staying in the taverns along the wharf, where the crowd is filled with nomads like us. You're welcome to come join us at the Soaked Beard for a brew- they got the finest ale in the city! (Not that it compares to my home in Tardonne, but then what is a dwarf to do, aye?)"

"But as for after that, the rest of the passengers be headed to the Golden Bough at sunset (that be in the adventurer's quarter in the southeast of the city). I think it'd be good for 'em to have you along, get some common dwarven sense in 'em. (The cleric's a fine fellow, but you know them servants of gods)."

NotScaryBats
2012-04-24, 12:44 AM
Hope wastes no time getting to the giant square in the middle of the town. Somehow, this town makes her feel naked, and she did not like it. Perhaps once she was marked she would feel included, but then again...

She finds herself spellbound for a moment by the four impressive buildings of the four Guilds. After a glance at the Church and Syndicate -- the place she wanted to join and where she probably should join -- Hope makes her way to the Firm.

This will be a good thing for you. She thinks to herself as she does her best to stride purposefully into the building. The merchants will give you protection from the zealots, but I had better keep my guard up. She extends her natural senses -- the ones mortals don't have -- and prepares to do battle.

Activate Detect Good. Because knowing is half the battle.

missmvicious
2012-04-24, 02:11 AM
Rahne stops in the ally glancing around to make sure the coast.

Admiral
2012-04-24, 02:14 AM
[COLOR="Purple"]Glancing around to make sure the coast is clear Rahne takes a moment to alter her appearance.

Make a Spot and Listen check.

missmvicious
2012-04-24, 02:17 AM
Spot
[roll0]
Listen
[roll1]

Damn, looked at the wrong modifier, should I reroll or just take three off each of those?

HearTheRequiem
2012-04-24, 02:23 AM
Jeanne stops, momentarily awestruck by the magnificence of The Church. She scans the murals for a few moments, satisfied when she finds the elaborate crescent-moon that is the symbol of Corellon Larethian.

She steps through the doors, murmuring to herself as she does so.
"Imagine what the acoustics'll be like here..."

Admiral
2012-04-24, 02:25 AM
As Rahne prepares for her transformation she hears a noise above her, and instinctively rolls forward as a menacing shape drops right onto where she was standing, missing her by inches. Turning around, she sees a lizardfolk wearing a chain shirt and a black jacket, and brandishing a pair of daggers. He must have dropped from the roof. She spots the insignia of the Syndicate on the back of his right hand.

"Come here, pretty," he says in a sinister hiss.

I don't believe you were holding your dagger at the time.

Initiative:
Rahne: [roll0]
Lizard: [roll1]

Admiral
2012-04-24, 02:29 AM
The thief dives at Rahne and attempts to slash her neck with both his knives.

Attack 1: [roll0]
Attack 2: [roll1]

The bandit's first attack misses by a wide range as he misjudges the nimbleness of his foe. He is surprised, but goes in for a second strike at her abdomen. Again to the attacker's surprise, the blade bounces harmlessly off Rahne's glamered armor.

Lord Hakura
2012-04-24, 02:39 AM
Entering the church alongside jeanne, Verden stops in his tracks momentarily, looking around in awe. Squaring his shoulders, verden looks around for the
nearest guild relresentative.
I've still got arcane sight running I would assume, I have 12 minutes of it, so looking around for really strong magic auras, stuff 7th level and higher. Doing a standard action check on anyone who looks like a high priest or archmage. If the marks are epic, its likely that there is an epic mage somewhere in the building to place the mark on new people.

missmvicious
2012-04-24, 02:40 AM
Rahne quickly draws her dagger and uses this lizard's missed attack to advantage. Like lightning she thrusts the dagger into this enemy.

Attack [roll0]
Good luck be with me please.

missmvicious
2012-04-24, 02:43 AM
To confirm Crit
[roll0]

Admiral
2012-04-24, 02:44 AM
To confirm Crit
[roll0]

Critical confirmed, roll for damage twice. And don't forget that as he's within 5 feet, you can do a full attack (gives you a second attack at -5 penalty).

missmvicious
2012-04-24, 02:47 AM
Damage
[roll0] and [roll1]
I am en saddened that I failed to specify that I had my super awesome weapon augmenting crystal on the dagger, my damage normally is totally weak.
Second attack roll
[roll2]

missmvicious
2012-04-24, 04:41 AM
So I at least specified that my gloves of agile striking are on my hands and they apply in this situation so rolling the damage for that too.
[roll0]

missmvicious
2012-04-24, 04:46 AM
Edit

:smallbiggrin: So looking at my character sheet I also realize that I did in fact remember to specify that my energy assault crystal of acid is on my dagger. so that is another d6 of damage. Also that was a critical hit so my Devastation gauntlets also apply. So I'll expel a charge to do another 2d6 damage on top of that. Sorry for adding it in afterward I am having a difficult time with the whole conversion to myth weavers thing. I think this is the last bit of damage I can pull out.
[roll0]

So that looks like a grand total of 25 damage from all of it. I feel a bit more like a level twelve character now.

Lexin
2012-04-24, 08:28 AM
Morgunn looks around the square...Yes... it will be interesting... then he follows Jeanne into the guildhall... I guess it couldn't be helped... if they wanted to fit that many gods into one place... this place had to be huge...

Morgunn smiles slightly as they look for the representative.

PChubby
2012-04-25, 01:59 PM
Arriving in the Guildsquare, Mirus pauses outside the Firm, warily eyeing the large glass building. "Well lad, here it is. What are you waiting for?" He thinks with a furrowed brow. Choosing a guild immediately didn't sit well with him. His choice to join the Order had given him a sense of family, a sense of tradition, and he had years to decide. Choosing something quickly went against his dwarven sensibilities.

Taking a deep breath, Mirus swaps his maul on his shoulders and walks in the door of the Firm.

Admiral
2012-04-26, 01:11 PM
In a single expert maneuver, Rahne draws her blade and plunges it into the center of the lizard's chest. The thief freezes for a moment, stunned; only a few seconds ago this woman had looked like easy prey only seconds ago. More terrifying even than the knife or the skill with which it was wielded is the look in the woman's eyes- the look not of an innocent maiden, but of a cunning scoundrel who has seen battle.

The lizard draws back with a cowardly screech and scurries out into the crowded street.

Lizard Tumble check: [roll0]

You get an Attack of Opportunity as he runs away.

missmvicious
2012-04-26, 04:34 PM
Rahne postures threateningly as the lizard man scurries off, but decides that the attack would be an unnecessary risk. "If he is fleeing then he is no longer a threat, lets keep it that way and get on to business." She tells herself. She pauses for a moment making sure he is gone and that there will be no more interruptions.

Spot check
[roll0]
Listen check
[roll1]

Admiral
2012-04-27, 02:34 AM
Rahne postures threateningly as the lizard man scurries off, but decides that the attack would be an unnecessary risk. "If he is fleeing then he is no longer a threat, lets keep it that way and get on to business." She tells herself. She pauses for a moment making sure he is gone and that there will be no more interruptions.

Spot check
[roll0]
Listen check
[roll1]

If anyone else was around, you've scared them off for now.

Admiral
2012-04-27, 02:51 AM
Upon entering the Firm headquarters, Hope finds an impressive lobby, the floor and walls made of shiny marble. Two sentries stand around the entrance, standing so strictly at attention that they are barely differentiable from statues. A clerk at the front desk glances up at Hope, and, immediately upon seeing her bare right hand, gestures towards a long hallway on his right. "Citizenship interviews are that way, follow the signs."

Upon following his instructions, Hope finds herself admitted to an interview room, passing an elf who leaves the room with what looks like a fresh insignia on his hand. The chamber is small but pleasant; it has no windows but is well-lit by lanterns. A stern-looking halfling with glasses sits in front of her, paperwork lying in front of him next to an extravagant quill and massive ink well. A heavy iron door is set in the wall behind him.

"Good morning," he says, as though he had to recite the greeting from memory. He picks up the quill and turns a page in his tome. "Please give your name, your country of origin, and a brief description of your recent employment."

NotScaryBats
2012-04-27, 04:07 AM
The 'Elven' woman gives the halfling an appraising look and answers in her sweet accent, "Good morning to you, too. My name's Hope -- just Hope. I come from Falcor, an' my most recent employment was as a courtier in the court of Eric the Kind. I advised the Duke about diplomatic issues an' that sorta thing."

She pauses for a moment, believing that to be sufficient. Sure, it wasn't the whole truth, but she certainly did advice the good Duke before she --

Hope stops that line of thought and focuses on the task at hand.

'course I don't really have to even play along with this mortal, the Succubus thinks to herself for a moment. A little wink here and I could have him wrapped around my little finger... No. No, I'm not here to be doin that, 'least not that way. These thoughts race through her mind in the span of a few seconds, before she smiles disarmingly at the man, unleashing a moderate amount of her charm.

I am not entirely sure if a roll is appropriate here, but if so:
[roll0]
Add 14 for a straight Charisma check
Add 23 for a Diplomacy check
Add 25 for a Bluff check
Hope is resisting the urge to Charm or Suggest the man, and is using strictly mundane means to give a good impression.

Admiral
2012-04-27, 07:46 AM
Was going to post this last night but accidentally got into the “database backup in progress” window, when the forum can’t be used, and had to go to sleep.

Verden, Jeanne and Morgunn step through the massive wooden doors into the cathedral. If the structure looked impressive from outside, its interior is truly awe-inspiring. The detailed frescoes, stained glass windows, and vaulted ceilings rival the most impressive houses of worship you have ever seen.

At the top of the cathedral is a dome, around the circumference of which is inscribed the symbols of a vast number of deities. Jeanne immediately spots the crescent moon of Corellon Larethian, just as Morgunn recognizes the watching blue eye of Odin. Verden scans the symbols and makes an immediate observation- every deity he's ever studied is engraved there with the exception of those who embody evil. Similarly, no evil gods can be seen in the endless compendium of artwork arrayed around the cathedral.

Churchgoers mill about the cavernous space, some in worship at a variety of altars, some in silent prayer, others in discussion with members of the clergy. One man in a long, flowing robe notices the conspicuous newcomers and approaches them. Based on the holy symbol around his neck, a pentagram amulet bearing an eye on a pedestal, each of the party recognizes him as a cleric of Boccob, but he does not introduce himself that way.

"Greetings, travelers. I am Father Renyi, a priest of the Threadmyr Church. You are most welcome here, in the Cathedral of Cardonne. I notice by your lack of guildmarks that you are not residents here. Might I ask if you are pilgrims or immigrants?"

----------------------------------------------

Mirus enters the Firm lobby a little after Hope does, and is quickly ushered down the same hallway. He is soon called into the interview chambers, where he finds an old human with an eyepatch sitting at a desk. The man’s bones creak with use as he reaches for his coffee mug, and as he looks back up he glances at the maul on Mirus’s back with what looks like it might be envy.

“Good morning,” the interviewer says as he readies his quill. “I’ll be having your name, your country of origin, and a brief description of your recent employment.”

Lexin
2012-04-27, 08:05 AM
Morgunn watches the cleric for a while, thinking if omitting the one their worship is normal for Church members... he frowns a bit at this thought.

"More of the later than former, I would say. I am Morgunn, servant of Odin and these are my friends..." He lets them introduce themselves.

HearTheRequiem
2012-04-27, 08:24 AM
Jeanne bows her head as the priest approaches, speaking as respectfully as she can while awestruck by The Church's beauty.

"Well met, Father Renyi. I am Jeanne Changeour, Knight of the Harmonious Order of Corellon Larethian, and Chanter of the Sorlyn. Please tell me, how would one go about joining The Church?"

missmvicious
2012-04-27, 04:52 PM
Feeling more confident that she has a moment to herself she sighs. "Jeeze no kidding about this place being a little dangerous for someone outside of the guilds. Perhaps a more intimidating appearance will benefit me for the rest of this little walk." She sets her mind to it and her features begin to morph. Her whole body swells, puffing itself into a muscular form and sprouts a coat of fur. Her ears grow out into long furry points and tusks push out of her bottom jaw. She then commands her armor accordingly and inspects her work. Looking down at her pointed nails and furry body she is pleased with the look though can't help but frown as she runs her tongue against her teeth. The oversized chompers were a tad uncomfortable. Then continues her way to the guild hall.

Visual aid
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50887717/Mid%20Lvl%20PbP/1361002-bugbear.jpg

Lord Hakura
2012-04-28, 12:53 AM
Verden waits while the other two speak, then introduces himself.

Pleased to meet you, Father Renyi. I am Verden, and I came to inquire about the church and its running. I find myself in a slightly awkward position, because over the period of my life, I have attained a mastery of both arcane and divine magic, through the ways of study. I share your devotion to Boccob, but I spend my days in the pursuit of knowledge of all kinds, rather in the state of prayer. as you can probably understand, this puts me in the position of needing to choose between the Church and the Institute. I was wondering if you could enlighten me in regards the running and function of the church, so as to be able to make an informed decision.

PChubby
2012-04-28, 03:07 PM
The old man seemed a bit brusk but Mirus appreciated his directness. Mirus wipes his hand on his pants and extends it for a handshake. "Mirus Battlebrew of clan Battlebrew in Dalormak just outside Arador Citadel, Falcor. I've been a member of the Order of the Stein for the last 30 odd years and worked my way to Master Explorer and Journeyman Brewer. I wouldn't call it employment though, more of a life's calling."

Admiral
2012-04-30, 07:12 PM
Morgunn watches the cleric for a while, thinking if omitting the one their worship is normal for Church members... he frowns a bit at this thought.

"More of the later than former, I would say. I am Morgunn, servant of Odin and these are my friends..." He lets them introduce themselves.

Jeanne bows her head as the priest approaches, speaking as respectfully as she can while awestruck by The Church's beauty.

"Well met, Father Renyi. I am Jeanne Changeour, Knight of the Harmonious Order of Corellon Larethian, and Chanter of the Sorlyn. Please tell me, how would one go about joining The Church?"

Verden waits while the other two speak, then introduces himself.

Pleased to meet you, Father Renyi. I am Verden, and I came to inquire about the church and its running. I find myself in a slightly awkward position, because over the period of my life, I have attained a mastery of both arcane and divine magic, through the ways of study. I share your devotion to Boccob, but I spend my days in the pursuit of knowledge of all kinds, rather in the state of prayer. as you can probably understand, this puts me in the position of needing to choose between the Church and the Institute. I was wondering if you could enlighten me in regards the running and function of the church, so as to be able to make an informed decision.

Father Renyi nods slowly and smiles as he listens to each of your introductions. His eyes go slightly wide when he hears Verden's story, though he immediately regains his serenity.

He opens the thin but ornate tome that he is carrying. He starts to flip through it, and the observant members of the party notice that he seems to flip through a great deal more pages than could possibly fit into the tome. Finally he stops on a page with satisfaction and looks back up.

"Morgunn, servant of Odin. You are of the Bolrak clan, are you not, and traveled with the Anar-din? The tales of their bravery and generosity are widespread. Let me be the first to welcome you."

He flips for a while longer, until stopping on another page and reading it over. He looks up at Jeanne with a smile. "Of course, the Harmonious Order, the famous musical knights of Corellon Larethian, First of the Seldarine. There are stories of you too, Chanter of the Sorlyn. You surely do great honor to your deity. If you seek to join the Church, I am certain you would be welcomed."

Finally he turns to Verden, without even looking at the book. "I... have heard stories about such masters of the arcane and divine, but this falls beyond my expertise. And," he says hesitantly, "beyond my rank." He spends a moment deep in thought, then appears to come to a decision. "You are each men and women of great stature. I thus think you would be better welcomed by my superior, the Bishop of Cardonne, who can answer all your questions." His eyes linger on Verden as he says this last part.

Lord Hakura
2012-04-30, 09:05 PM
Verden looks with interest at the book, wondering how so many pages could be fit into such a small tome.
When Father Renai speaks, he politely looks into the Mans eyes, and nods as he speaks.

If you could introduce us, I would appreciate that greatly. I am sorry for any inconvenience caused on my account.

Because verden is awesome like that, spellcraft check to identify anything about the magic item. If its a magic item, I can't get it, but if its got a currently running spell, I might be able to.
[roll0]
Verden likes knowing things :smallbiggrin:

Lexin
2012-04-30, 09:25 PM
Great stature? ... Yes, if you say so... Please, lead the way. Morgunn didn't really expect such reception, so for a while he seems lost in thoughts.
After a while he turns to Verden and speak quietly:
Don't worry, in our lands it isn't uncommon, for servants of deities which rule over magic or favor knowledge, to learn some of arcane ways... I don't think you would be the only one, even here.

Admiral
2012-04-30, 09:59 PM
The 'Elven' woman gives the halfling an appraising look and answers in her sweet accent, "Good morning to you, too. My name's Hope -- just Hope. I come from Falcor, an' my most recent employment was as a courtier in the court of Eric the Kind. I advised the Duke about diplomatic issues an' that sorta thing."

She pauses for a moment, believing that to be sufficient. Sure, it wasn't the whole truth, but she certainly did advice the good Duke before she --

Hope stops that line of thought and focuses on the task at hand.

'course I don't really have to even play along with this mortal, the Succubus thinks to herself for a moment. A little wink here and I could have him wrapped around my little finger... No. No, I'm not here to be doin that, 'least not that way. These thoughts race through her mind in the span of a few seconds, before she smiles disarmingly at the man, unleashing a moderate amount of her charm.

I am not entirely sure if a roll is appropriate here, but if so:
[roll0]
Add 14 for a straight Charisma check
Add 23 for a Diplomacy check
Add 25 for a Bluff check
Hope is resisting the urge to Charm or Suggest the man, and is using strictly mundane means to give a good impression.

It was a Diplomacy check- 35. You would need a Bluff for your recent history, but I'll have you take 10 for another 35, plenty enough to fool him.

The halfling looks up from his papers and seems to blush slightly. He'd barely looked at Hope when she entered the room, and now that he has he is clearly interested in impressing her.

"Well, welcome to the offices of the Brearshaw Firm! Oh, I should have introduced... I'm Krell Kastly, your interviewer and guide." He stumbles over his words a bit. "I'm here mostly to make sure that joining is as painless a process as possible, and that you'll find the right place here for your talents."

"So I should explain- you would first be joining the Firm as a citizen, where you'll pay taxes in exchange for protection from the Firm and access to our wide range of guild services. After that, you are welcome to apply to become a guild member, which would entail a full time job, like my own. At this last sentence he gestures clumsily towards himself, nearly falling off the chair while doing so.

"So you came from Falcor, eh? What would you like to do now that you've come here? 'Fraid we don't have any royalty here, of course, but there's always room for someone with talents in diplomacy.

Admiral
2012-04-30, 10:14 PM
The old man seemed a bit brusk but Mirus appreciated his directness. Mirus wipes his hand on his pants and extends it for a handshake. "Mirus Battlebrew of clan Battlebrew in Dalormak just outside Arador Citadel, Falcor. I've been a member of the Order of the Stein for the last 30 odd years and worked my way to Master Explorer and Journeyman Brewer. I wouldn't call it employment though, more of a life's calling."

The old man clasps Mirus's hand in return, and Mirus notices his hands exhibit an unusual strength for someone his age.

"Ha! You know, my buddies and I used to kick back with a Falcorian brew in the barracks, near every night. Order of the Stein was among our favorite labels."

"Name's Rosco. It's my job to make sure you'd be happy at the Firm, and find the right place for you. You know, the Firm runs most the beermaking operations on this continent- we have vast farms and breweries in the Brearshaw Territory, not to mention our vinyards. Or if you prefer, we have smaller craft brewpubs in near every city on the continent."

"But I gotta tell you, he says warily, "I've never seen a brewmaster who felt the need to carry one of those." Rosco points to the huge maul on Mirus's back.

Admiral
2012-04-30, 10:15 PM
Feeling more confident that she has a moment to herself she sighs. "Jeeze no kidding about this place being a little dangerous for someone outside of the guilds. Perhaps a more intimidating appearance will benefit me for the rest of this little walk." She sets her mind to it and her features begin to morph. Her whole body swells, puffing itself into a muscular form and sprouts a coat of fur. Her ears grow out into long furry points and tusks push out of her bottom jaw. She then commands her armor accordingly and inspects her work. Looking down at her pointed nails and furry body she is pleased with the look though can't help but frown as she runs her tongue against her teeth. The oversized chompers were a tad uncomfortable. Then continues her way to the guild hall.

Visual aid
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50887717/Mid%20Lvl%20PbP/1361002-bugbear.jpg

With her newly intimidating shape, Rahne makes it to the guildsquare without any further problems. She sees the four impressive halls towering before her.

missmvicious
2012-05-01, 12:21 AM
Privately relieved that the rest of her walk went much more quietly Rahne strides confidentially into The Syndicate's guild hall. She takes a quick survey of it as she enters.

Admiral
2012-05-01, 01:23 AM
Privately relieved that the rest of her walk went much more quietly Rahne strides confidentially into The Syndicate's guild hall. She takes a quick survey of it as she enters.

The Syndicate guildhall is an intimidating fortress, the front secured by a heavy wooden door. As Rahne approaches it, she notices two guards, clad all in black and red, on either side.

"State your business," snaps one of the guards as Rahne approaches. Upon learning that she is interested in joining the guild, he directs her to a door to the right, at the base of one of the towers. "Recruiting office is through there."

Upon entering, Rahne finds a dark and unordained corridor that leads to a single open door, with a few doors on either side along the way. This guild has no interest in making a grand first impression, she reasons. As she proceeds down the corridor she realizes she is walking at a slight decline, such that she end up a floor below ground level. When she reaches the room at the end of the corridor, a guard slams it behind her.

She is in a large, perfectly round chamber, 50 feet in diameter. There is a single iron chair in the center of the room, facing an elevated desk, which is on the opposite side of the chamber from the entrance. At this desk sits an elf clad in an elegant red and black uniform. Six sentries stand around the circumference of the room, each with pikes at their side.

"Sit down," says the elf in a calm but authoritative voice, "and tell me your name and business."

The moment Rahne steps more than 5 feet into the room, make a Will save.

missmvicious
2012-05-01, 01:31 AM
Getting the will save out of the way to start with and see how I should behave from there.
[roll0]

Rahne starts towards the chair in the middle of the room.

Admiral
2012-05-01, 01:38 AM
Getting the will save out of the way to start with and see how I should behave from there.
[roll0]

Rahne starts towards the chair in the middle of the room.

After taking a few steps into the room, Rahne feels a disturbing sensation- her tongue feels like it is rolling up inside her mouth, then loosening again. She feels a strange, unpleasant weight on her mind. She's had the sensation before; she recognizes it as a zone of truth. She knows that as long as she's in the center of this chamber, she won't be able to knowingly speak a lie.

missmvicious
2012-05-01, 01:53 AM
Somehow not surprised that The Syndicate, a group people considered shady, would have this precaution Rahne steps behind the chair rather then sitting in it. She rests her hands on the back of it casually and says "My name is Rahne Guthrie and I am here to see what kind of perks people get for joining your guild." To accent her point she holds up her hand to show that its quite bare.

Admiral
2012-05-01, 02:29 AM
Because verden is awesome like that, spellcraft check to identify anything about the magic item. If its a magic item, I can't get it, but if its got a currently running spell, I might be able to.
[roll0]
Verden likes knowing things :smallbiggrin:

It's a magic item. :smallfrown: He does notice the insignia of Boccob on the front of the book, which I hadn't mentioned earlier.

Father Renyi nods. "Please come with me, travelers." He leads the party to the edge of the grand chamber and into one of a number of corridors. The corridors are less impressive than the entrance, but are nevertheless lined with tapestries and lanterns. He takes you to a bench and bids you to wait while he goes ahead. After a few minutes, he comes back. "The Bishop of Cardonne will see you now."

The travelers follow Renyi through the door, and find themselves in a beautiful courtyard, two hundred feet square. The church rises up on every side, but the sun still shines brightly through. The courtyard is clearly a well-cultivated garden, with a glorious variety of flora.

Moments pass before the party notices an elven woman in the center of the trees, beckoning them to join. She wears long green robes, and as the travelers approach they can see the insignia of the rearing unicorn on an amulet around her neck, the mark of a cleric of Ehlonna.

"Welcome, travelers, she says. "I am Faeliel, bishop of the city of Cardonne. Father Renyi has told me of each of you, and of your grand deeds and reputation in Falcor.

She pauses in front of Morgunn. "Morgunn of Bolrak clan. You were a servant of Odin among the Anar-Din. You are a cleric of knowledge rather than battle, but instead of locking yourself in a tower, you devoted your life to chasing evil wherever it flees. Your courage and initiative would serve the Threadmyr Church well."

She slides gracefully to greet the paladin next. "Jeanne Changeour, Knight of the Harmonious Order, and follower of Corellon Larethian, Creator of all Elves. The Church has many noble and devoted paladins, but none that I know of with the gift of song. You could say that I am a student of music as well, for as a bishop of the Church my role is to cultivate harmony among a thousand voices. Voices that would be blessed to count yours among them."

Faeliel finally moves towards Verden, peering directly into his eyes. "And you, Verden of secrets. Father Renyi told me that you are devoted to Boccob, yet you have mastered of the arcane. I have heard of such mages before, but they are rare in Eldgar. If you truly do command the powers you say, we have much to talk about." She speaks with a soft, melodious voice and an utterly peaceful demeanor. However, as Verden meets her gaze he forgets her gentle appearance, for all he sees is a violent wisdom that burns like wildfire.

NotScaryBats
2012-05-01, 02:51 AM
"Well Mister Kastly, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. As far as what I can do for the Firm, well, as you said -- there's always a need for a lady of my unique talents." she winks good-naturedly. "So why don't we get these formalities outta the way an' I will join your guild." Hope is pleased that the process seemed so straight-forward. She was half-imagining some sort of initiation challenge would be required to join.

Smiling that winning smile of hers, she looks attentively at her sponser.

Admiral
2012-05-01, 02:58 AM
Somehow not surprised that The Syndicate, a group people considered shady, would have this precaution Rahne steps behind the chair rather then sitting in it. She rests her hands on the back of it casually and says "My name is Rahne Guthrie and I am here to see what kind of perks people get for joining your guild." To accent her point she holds up her hand to show that its quite bare.

The elf tilts his head slightly.

"Well. You're clearly not from around here, so I'll start from the basics. There's one thing that's true everywhere- it's true wherever you're from, and it's true in Eldgar- and that that crime runs the country. The only difference is that here in Eldgar, we run the crime."

"Citizens of the Syndicate are privileged. They are the only beings on the continent of Eldgar that are allowed to engage in theft. The Guild has powerful magic at its disposal, and even more powerful enforcers-" he waves a hand absent-mindedly at the sentries around the room- "all for the purpose of enforcing this restriction. I assure you that is enforced very thoroughly."

"This privilege has a second clause, which is that a citizen of the Syndicate can never be stolen from. The other three guilds are all that's on the menu (and they should be plenty to satisfy us)."

"The privileges of the guild are not limited to this monopoly on theft. Citizens in good standing have access to services useful to thieves. They can be smuggled out of a city in a hurry, or can have a place to hide. We'll even warn a citizen if it comes to our attention that another guild is after his neck."

"But these privileges come with a cost. You'll notice we've taken away your ability to lie as long as you're in here. Citizens of the Syndicate save their lying and scheming for the rest of the world. If you join, your needs would be subservient to the needs of the Guild. First, that means you would give up 15% of the loot from any theft you perpetrate. Second, that means you'll obey the commands of your superiors in the guild. The guild is built on mutual trust- our trust in your allegiance, your trust in our enforcement of your rights as a guild citizen. Trust is how we have built the most powerful criminal enterprise in the world."

"And what that means, you ape, says the elf in a sudden snarl, is that when I tell you to sit, you sit!

Every sentry around the room suddenly readies their crossbows, pointing towards Rahne.

missmvicious
2012-05-01, 05:16 AM
Enjoying this dangerous game that she is playing Rahne swaggers around to the front of the chair and takes a seat. "Now is that any way to speak to a lady who is interested in something mutually," She says as her gruff fur and bulk melt away into a slender elf woman with flowing blonde locks and bright green eyes, her voice changes with the shift. She accents the end of her sentence with her transformation complete as she sits, legs crossed lounging in the chair, "beneficial."

HearTheRequiem
2012-05-01, 10:56 AM
She slides gracefully to greet the paladin next. "Jeanne Changeour, Knight of the Harmonious Order, and follower of Corellon Larethian, Creator of all Elves. The Church has many noble and devoted paladins, but none that I know of with the gift of song. You could say that I am a student of music as well, for as a bishop of the Church my role is to cultivate harmony among a thousand voices. Voices that would be blessed to count yours among them."

"Thank you, Bishop Faeliel. I would be honoured to join the ranks of The Church, and to add my voice to its ranks. I trust you will find my words as authentic as my cadence."

Admiral
2012-05-01, 12:02 PM
"Well Mister Kastly, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. As far as what I can do for the Firm, well, as you said -- there's always a need for a lady of my unique talents." she winks good-naturedly. "So why don't we get these formalities outta the way an' I will join your guild." Hope is pleased that the process seemed so straight-forward. She was half-imagining some sort of initiation challenge would be required to join.

Smiling that winning smile of hers, she looks attentively at her sponser.

Kastly smiles back at her. "Well, if you'd like to join, we'd be happy to take you! Let's just get you set up." He leans back and taps three times on the heavy iron door behind him, then sits forwards and pleasantly waits.

After a few minutes, three armed and intimidating guards emerge from the back room. One of them bears an iron crate, which he slams down on the desk. Another takes out an elaborate key, which he uses to open the crate. The guards then take positions a few feet behind you.

Finally a hooded figure strides in, his features entirely invisible to you. He reaches into the crate and removes a small but intimidating apparatus, reminiscent of a cattle brand.

Through all this the halfling is giggling nervously. "Nothing to worry about... still... not used to all this fuss..." Looking at the mysterious figure brandishing the device, Hope can't help but be nervous. This feels much more like an execution than an initiation.

"Just hold out your right hand, says Kastly. "All be over in a moment." Once Hope puts her right hand on the table, the figure speaks a few arcane words, and the brand starts to glow. Before Hope can change her mind, he drives the brand down onto her hand.

To her surprise, the branding doesn't hurt like she'd expected it to- indeed, it's no more painful than one of her transformations. The figure lifts the brand off of her hand, and quickly puts it back into the crate, which is shuttled off with practiced efficiency. Looking down at her hand, Hope sees a shiny and translucent circle, the same mark on the hands of everyone she'd seen in this building.

"Welcome to the Firm."

Lexin
2012-05-01, 12:09 PM
She pauses in front of Morgunn. "Morgunn of Bolrak clan. You were a servant of Odin among the Anar-Din. You are a cleric of knowledge rather than battle, but instead of locking yourself in a tower, you devoted your life to chasing evil wherever it flees. Your courage and initiative would serve the Threadmyr Church well."

It is an honor to meet you, Bishop Faeliel. I am surprised you already heard about us... I guess you already have good diviners in the Threadmyr Church... And that leads to some questions, would you care to explain what does being a member of the Church exactly mean... and how could we serve it?

NotScaryBats
2012-05-01, 02:13 PM
Hope is quite nervous as the guards march in and has to stop herself from teleporting away as the hooded figure enters the room. But, she is glad when it is all over and she admires the brand, vaguely wondering if it will persist regardless of her current guise.

"Well shucks, Mister, that didn't hurt nearly as bad as I thought it would." Hope immediately begins to play off her previous nervousness. "Do you folks have anything to drink? All that fuss made me quite parched." she laughs lightly, continuing in her smooth drawl, "an' now that I'm branded, why don'cha tell me about becoming a member like yourself -- I just know theres a lot I can offer the Firm!"

Lord Hakura
2012-05-01, 02:54 PM
Faeliel finally moves towards Verden, peering directly into his eyes. "And you, Verden of secrets. Father Renyi told me that you are devoted to Boccob, yet you have mastered of the arcane. I have heard of such mages before, but they are rare in Eldgar. If you truly do command the powers you say, we have much to talk about." She speaks with a soft, melodious voice and an utterly peaceful demeanor. However, as Verden meets her gaze he forgets her gentle appearance, for all he sees is a violent wisdom that burns like wildfire.

Well, metagame I would suppose she had High wisdom, being a high leveled cleric and all. Now this is getting interesting.
I do not jest about my abilities, no. I look forward to speaking with you, and hearing about the church and its workings.

Admiral
2012-05-01, 03:00 PM
Well, metagame I would suppose she had High wisdom, being a high leveled cleric and all. Now this is getting interesting.
I do not jest about my abilities, no. I look forward to speaking with you, and hearing about the church and its workings.

"Then perhaps you wouldn't mind providing a brief demonstration," Faeliel asks, her gaze unwavering. Verden gets the eerie sense that she probably already knows everything she needs to just by watching his face.

PChubby
2012-05-01, 05:31 PM
Mirus puffs with pride at the compliment to the Order. "Sounds like the folks in the barracks had great taste. Dunno if it made it over here but the Rock Hair Red, that's one of mine." He says with a shy shrug.

"I'd love to see the facilities in Brearshaw I'm sure they are a sight. Have to pass on the vinyards though, too much bad blood with the Fera'eth folks to appreciate wine properly. Dunno if I'd stay in Brearshaw, I'm more partial to the prewpubs. More personality. The ship captain reccomended The Soaked Beard. One of yours I take it?"

"As for this old thing.." Mirus calmly draws the maul and holds it in front of him, steadying himself against it's obvious weight. "Dalora, the heavy protector. She's a beaut ain't she? Exploring can be dangerous business and she's saved my beard more often than I care to remember. Sure, some prefer axes but a Maul has multiple uses and you don't have to carry around sharpening stones."

Lord Hakura
2012-05-01, 06:18 PM
"Then perhaps you wouldn't mind providing a brief demonstration," Faeliel asks, her gaze unwavering. Verden gets the eerie sense that she probably already knows everything she needs to just by watching his face.

A demonstration... Here?
Well, if you insist.

Verden withdraws a small ball of black material from his belt pouch, and holds it in his hand for a few seconds, then gestures upwards, and the ball goes flying, straight up in the air. After a few seconds of flight, it explodes in a spectacular ball of fire.

Verden returns Faeliel's gaze, his eyes level and his face blank and un-readable.

Casting Fireball, aiming straight up, and flying it far enough to be clear of the building before it detonates. We are in an open courtyard right?

Admiral
2012-05-03, 10:22 PM
Mirus puffs with pride at the compliment to the Order. "Sounds like the folks in the barracks had great taste. Dunno if it made it over here but the Rock Hair Red, that's one of mine." He says with a shy shrug.

"I'd love to see the facilities in Brearshaw I'm sure they are a sight. Have to pass on the vinyards though, too much bad blood with the Fera'eth folks to appreciate wine properly. Dunno if I'd stay in Brearshaw, I'm more partial to the prewpubs. More personality. The ship captain reccomended The Soaked Beard. One of yours I take it?"

"Oh, you won't find a brewpub in five hundred miles that the Firm doesn't oversee and supply. As for the Fera'eth, can't say I know 'em, but our only competition in beer over here over here are the trappist ales, run by the blasted Church and their endless supply of monks."

"As for this old thing.." Mirus calmly draws the maul and holds it in front of him, steadying himself against it's obvious weight. "Dalora, the heavy protector. She's a beaut ain't she? Exploring can be dangerous business and she's saved my beard more often than I care to remember. Sure, some prefer axes but a Maul has multiple uses and you don't have to carry around sharpening stones."

Rosco chuckles. "Not sure I've ever met a brewmaster who considered himself an explorer. If you join the Firm as a factory brewer you'll have no need for that, we've plenty of security already. Same if you work in a brewpub in one of the big cities- you must've seen the city guard on your way here."

He pauses for a moment. "Now, not my place to speculate, but in my experience, a fella's carrying a weapon that large, half the time he ain't looking to avoid trouble, he's looking to find it." Rosco's tone isn't accusatory; in fact, it's nostalgic. "Bit of unsolicited advice. There are smaller cities in Eldgar, out on the frontier where the guild presence isn't as strong. Been through a few of them- spent six years in the town of Marvell in the southwest. It can get hairy out there, between the barbarian hordes, the Syndicate thieves and the wildlife. You could try out a few of those places, see if any of the pubs there are in need of someone who can fight as well as he can brew. If you're thinking your exploring days aren't behind you, that is."

Admiral
2012-05-03, 10:34 PM
Enjoying this dangerous game that she is playing Rahne swaggers around to the front of the chair and takes a seat. "Now is that any way to speak to a lady who is interested in something mutually," She says as her gruff fur and bulk melt away into a slender elf woman with flowing blonde locks and bright green eyes, her voice changes with the shift. She accents the end of her sentence with her transformation complete as she sits, legs crossed lounging in the chair, "beneficial."

The elf sits up a bit, his eybrows slightly raised. He then chuckles. "Wasn't expecting that one. OK, that's one talent. You have any others?"

Admiral
2012-05-03, 10:43 PM
Hope is quite nervous as the guards march in and has to stop herself from teleporting away as the hooded figure enters the room. But, she is glad when it is all over and she admires the brand, vaguely wondering if it will persist regardless of her current guise.

"Well shucks, Mister, that didn't hurt nearly as bad as I thought it would." Hope immediately begins to play off her previous nervousness. "Do you folks have anything to drink? All that fuss made me quite parched." she laughs lightly, continuing in her smooth drawl, "an' now that I'm branded, why don'cha tell me about becoming a member like yourself -- I just know theres a lot I can offer the Firm!"

"A drink! Well, well, of course... let's get you some cold juice." Before asking if that's what she wants, the halfling knocks on the iron door and exchanges some brief words with a servant.

"Well, now you're looking to become a member! There is so much you could do!" The halfing launches into a long list of positions in the guild that are available, in a vast array of cities. While the halfling, in his flustered state, tries to make them sound exciting, to Hope they all sound like unexceptional clerical and managerial work. They would certainly be less intriguing than her former career in seduction and blackmail. Still, Hope reasons with regret, an unexceptional life may be all that she can handle without slipping into old habits.

missmvicious
2012-05-03, 11:04 PM
"Hmm, talents besides being anyone I want and getting away with it..." Rahne says in mock contemplation. "Well I have yet to find a place I couldn't get into, in one way or another. I have a special gift for lightening the packs of wizards. I work well on my own and I play well with others. I already set up contacts with members of the other guilds, that never hurts." She lists off, then adds playfully, "Oh and I am a riot at parties."

Admiral
2012-05-03, 11:51 PM
"Thank you, Bishop Faeliel. I would be honoured to join the ranks of The Church, and to add my voice to its ranks. I trust you will find my words as authentic as my cadence."

"Then welcome to the Church, fair Knight," says the bishop with a smile. "Stay a moment, for what I speak to your friends may be of interest."

It is an honor to meet you, Bishop Faeliel. I am surprised you already heard about us... I guess you already have good diviners in the Threadmyr Church... And that leads to some questions, would you care to explain what does being a member of the Church exactly mean... and how could we serve it?

"I'm glad you asked, Morgunn. One can join a guild as either a citizen or a member. Citizens pay a weekly tithe to the church, swear to obey its laws, and gain its protection. A guild member, on the other hand, takes on full-time employment within the guild."

She explains the various benefits and obligations of citizenship in the Church, which include:

Free healing at any Church temple in Eldgar. There are temples in each large town and at some outposts along well-traveled roads.
Safe refuge for any Church citizen in danger.
Free supply of a limited quantity of holy water
A tithe of 10 gp per character level per week
Church members are obligated not to have an Evil alignment

"If you wish to join the Church as a member, you would be welcome to take a role as a priest in one of our temples, where you would lead a congregation in worship of your deity. But not all who serve the Church join in that capacity. Any citizen who seeks the safety of our citizens, the expansion of divine worship, and the advancement of your deity’s values serves the Church just as much as any member of our clergy."

Admiral
2012-05-04, 01:08 AM
A demonstration... Here?
Well, if you insist.

Verden withdraws a small ball of black material from his belt pouch, and holds it in his hand for a few seconds, then gestures upwards, and the ball goes flying, straight up in the air. After a few seconds of flight, it explodes in a spectacular ball of fire.

Verden returns Faeliel's gaze, his eyes level and his face blank and un-readable.

Casting Fireball, aiming straight up, and flying it far enough to be clear of the building before it detonates. We are in an open courtyard right?

Faeliel watches the ball of fire, then looks back at Verden and his two companions. "There is something I should explain to you all."

"In the country you come from, followers of the different gods are often in conflict. The lives of powerful and noble servants are wasted in needless war. We in the Threadmyr Church of Eldgar discovered the truth long ago: those of faith need never be in conflict with each other."

Faeliel gestures to the courtyard around her. "The divine pantheon is like this garden, with every god an individual plant. We are the gardeners- humble workers who seek to contribute to something far greater and more beautiful than ourselves. Every plant is different, and yet each contributes to the garden's beauty and balance. Every plant must be watered to survive, and the care of one plant in no way conflicts with the cultivation of another. In the same way, the gods all need and deserve worship, and they can truly flourish only if we support them all."

Faeliel's eyes darken, almost imperceptibly. "Now, I said that we in the Threadmyr Church are not at war with each other, but that does not mean we are not at war. We offer faith and worship to the gods, and in return they grant us extraordinary powers we can use to advance their interests. But as you well know, there is a way to gain similar power without faith in the gods. I speak, of course, of arcane magic. Arcane magic is dangerous, for it offers the temptation of power without the moral obligations of religion. While a cleric or paladin must please their god in order to cast spells, wizards and sorcerers need only master the complicated rituals."

"The guild known as the Institute not only tolerates this lax attitude towards morality, it cultivates it. The Institute teaches magic to all who can master it, regardless of the students' goals or values. The reckless search for power has led to the collapse of civilizations before, and if left unchecked it will surely lay Eldgar to waste. It takes only a single evil wizard or sorcerer with enough power."

She turns to focus on Verden again. "While the power granted to this Church by the gods is extraordinary, many of us fear we do not have the tools to battle arcane magic. We understand too little of their spells and lack the ability to respond in kind. That was until we heard of the mystic theurges- mages who can draw divine magic from the gods, but also master the rituals of the arcane. These mages could help us understand and combat arcane magic. Equally importantly, we can trust them to appreciate the importance of the gods, and not betray our principles. As you know, mystic theurges are very rare. We have but five in the service of the Church. You are the first one I have met."

"I am guessing based on your questions that you have not yet made up your mind between the Church and the Institute. I cannot tell you what guild to choose, but I will tell you what you are choosing between. You could be a tinkerer mastering every more powerful explosions and teaching others to wield similar destruction. Or you could be a holy warrior defending his god in the most important war of our age."

Admiral
2012-05-04, 01:13 AM
"Hmm, talents besides being anyone I want and getting away with it..." Rahne says in mock contemplation. "Well I have yet to find a place I couldn't get into, in one way or another. I have a special gift for lightening the packs of wizards. I work well on my own and I play well with others. I already set up contacts with members of the other guilds, that never hurts." She lists off, then adds playfully, "Oh and I am a riot at parties."

"Heh. Well, I think you're just our type. You've already heard the benefits and restrictions that guild citizenship offers. If you wish to join, we'll finish this now."

"A word of warning first, however. Other guilds have forgiving attitudes to those who change their allegiances. But if you join the Syndicate, and you learn our secrets, you join for life."

missmvicious
2012-05-04, 01:22 AM
Rahne's ears perk up at his last statement, she leans forward and says "Please satisfy my curiosity then, does that mean that the tattoo of the guilds can be removed and replaced? Not that I am worried about leaving so much as I will have to deal with the tattoo issue while in disguise."

Admiral
2012-05-04, 01:47 AM
Rahne's ears perk up at his last statement, she leans forward and says "Please satisfy my curiosity then, does that mean that the tattoo of the guilds can be removed and replaced? Not that I am worried about leaving so much as I will have to deal with the tattoo issue while in disguise."

"It can be removed or replaced only by the guilds, though any guild can remove any brand. Some punk from the Firm has a religious awakening, gets the Church to replace his insignia and welcome him in. But again, switching out of the Syndicate can be bad for your health."

missmvicious
2012-05-04, 01:53 AM
"I think I get the message there." Rahne says coolly. "Is this definitely what I want to do?" She asks her self though. "If a lady should want a night to think about it, is there any way of discouraging any fool hardy criminals from interrupting me? Just on the walk here from the docs I had a lizard man "drop in" on me. Not that it was much of a pain to deal with, but I wouldn't mind going a whole ten minutes without someone trying to mug me."

Admiral
2012-05-04, 01:57 AM
"I think I get the message there." Rahne says coolly. "Is this definitely what I want to do?" She asks her self though. "If a lady should want a night to think about it, is there any way of discouraging any fool hardy criminals from interrupting me? Just on the walk here from the docs I had a lizard man "drop in" on me. Not that it was much of a pain to deal with, but I wouldn't mind going a whole ten minutes without someone trying to mug me."

"You're want to avoid getting mugged? Syndicate brand's the only way you're ever going to manage that. There's not a criminal in Eldgar who would go near you. Night of thinking won't change that fact."

missmvicious
2012-05-04, 02:10 AM
Rahne ponders her choices. The idea of being hunted down if she changed her mind was making the already difficult decision even harder. She could be quite hard to find though and if things did go poorly here she could try returning home. Hopefully someone would have done away with that mad ruler. She pondered what kind of orders they might try giving her and if she thought it was all worth it. Her contemplation is written quite clearly her face while she spends the long moment in silence thinking. Finally she leaves the internal debate in her head and says "Well, it is only a life long decision, why not play things a little wild and give it a try." She holds up her hand again and says "Count me in then."

HearTheRequiem
2012-05-04, 04:02 AM
"Then welcome to the Church, fair Knight," says the bishop with a smile. "Stay a moment, for what I speak to your friends may be of interest."

"I'm glad you asked, Morgunn. One can join a guild as either a citizen or a member. Citizens pay a weekly tithe to the church, swear to obey its laws, and gain its protection. A guild member, on the other hand, takes on full-time employment within the guild."

"If you wish to join the Church as a member, you would be welcome to take a role as a priest in one of our temples, where you would lead a congregation in worship of your deity. But not all who serve the Church join in that capacity. Any citizen who seeks the safety of our citizens, the expansion of divine worship, and the advancement of your deity’s values serves the Church just as much as any member of our clergy."

The red-haired woman ponders this for a moment, then speaks.
"...In what other capacity could we serve The Church?"

Lord Hakura
2012-05-04, 04:22 AM
Well, that is much to consider. I thank you for your openness, and I will consider what you have said carefully.

Well, that's an interesting way of looking at it... Its obviously not an impartial source, so I will have to see the institute's side of the story, but this could be a good place to get back to what is the right thing to do. I'm lucky Boccob is lenient around misdemenours, my record is by no means perfect... I wonder if she is bending the truth slightly, I would obviously be an asset to the Church...

Sense motive: [roll0]

Verden adopts a considering look, but his eyes maintain an intent gaze none the less.

Lexin
2012-05-04, 07:11 AM

Morgunn is quiet for a moment after seeing the fireworks, then smiles slightly, remembering one of his old friends, and turns back to the Bishop.
I think, full employment is what I look for here. Although I must say I am not used to sitting in one place and just accepting money for talking and doing nothing... So, I've decided, I want join the Church, but I hope there is more to it as a member.
He pauses for a moment, smiles and continues:
It is a long, long time since I last applied for a 'job', but it was something like that. I am devoted to the case I accept, I have knowledge and skills. The first include basic knowledge of planes, a bit more accurate knowledge about magic, both arcane and divine and of course I know a bit about religions.
As for skills... I am a diviner, a healer, an inquisitor trained to find and fight evil... and a dwarf which means I can handle a fight if needed.
... so, are there any job offers I can apply for?
He managed to say all of that in serious manner... except the last sentence.

NotScaryBats
2012-05-04, 12:06 PM
Hope considers the jobs he puts on the table, "Idle hands do the devils' work," she thinks worriedly. As long as I rub elbows with that human and dwarf, some of their goodness should rub off on me.

"Well, how about some sort of negotiator? Surely you do have the occasional contract that needs a few links worked out? I'm quite good at makin' that as smooth as possible." Hope finishes with a wink. To her, it sounded like a good job; something to keep her occupied, but not cloistering.

OOC if there is a particular job that might work better for the overarching storyline, just let me know. As is, I assume anything that isn't "9-5" should be compatible with whatever you have planned but I'm not married to anything in particular.

PChubby
2012-05-06, 04:52 AM
With a fluid motion, Mirus swings Dalora over his shoulder and back into her sheath. "I know it's uncommon among us stout folk but I've a bit too much wanderlust to stay confined too long. I put it to good use though, exploring for new ingredients and techniques and keeping my eye out for leads on the Holy Hops."

"One of them frontier brewpubs seems an interesting position." He says as he raises a curious brow to Rosco's advice. "How does one go about getting one of those assignments? How does the Firm work for that matter? I imagine membership dues like most guilds."

Admiral
2012-05-10, 04:05 AM
Rahne ponders her choices. The idea of being hunted down if she changed her mind was making the already difficult decision even harder. She could be quite hard to find though and if things did go poorly here she could try returning home. Hopefully someone would have done away with that mad ruler. She pondered what kind of orders they might try giving her and if she thought it was all worth it. Her contemplation is written quite clearly her face while she spends the long moment in silence thinking. Finally she leaves the internal debate in her head and says "Well, it is only a life long decision, why not play things a little wild and give it a try." She holds up her hand again and says "Count me in then."

Forgot to mention- since you've been under a Zone of Truth, you are going to be held to the fact that you are a riot at parties.

The elf at the front nods. At that point, a door to Rahne's right opens. A hooded figure comes out holding a threatening brand that appears to be chained to his wrist, joined by two muscular guards. The rest of the sentinels keep their crossbows aimed at Rahne.

The sentinel takes Rahne's right hand roughly and puts it down on the armrest, and almost immediately the hooded creature lays the brand down on the back of her hand. When the brand is lifted, Rahne sees three diagonal, parallel lines on her skin. The exit doors behind you open.

"Welcome to the Raknir Syndicate."

Admiral
2012-05-10, 04:06 AM
Hope considers the jobs he puts on the table, "Idle hands do the devils' work," she thinks worriedly. As long as I rub elbows with that human and dwarf, some of their goodness should rub off on me.

"Well, how about some sort of negotiator? Surely you do have the occasional contract that needs a few links worked out? I'm quite good at makin' that as smooth as possible." Hope finishes with a wink. To her, it sounded like a good job; something to keep her occupied, but not cloistering.

OOC if there is a particular job that might work better for the overarching storyline, just let me know. As is, I assume anything that isn't "9-5" should be compatible with whatever you have planned but I'm not married to anything in particular.

The interviewer smiles. "You should try your luck in Providencia, the metropolis at the heart of Eldgar. I think your-" his face turns even redder than it was before, which you had previously thought impossible- "talents outclass whatever positions you could find here in Cardonne."

Admiral
2012-05-10, 04:07 AM
With a fluid motion, Mirus swings Dalora over his shoulder and back into her sheath. "I know it's uncommon among us stout folk but I've a bit too much wanderlust to stay confined too long. I put it to good use though, exploring for new ingredients and techniques and keeping my eye out for leads on the Holy Hops."

"One of them frontier brewpubs seems an interesting position." He says as he raises a curious brow to Rosco's advice. "How does one go about getting one of those assignments? How does the Firm work for that matter? I imagine membership dues like most guilds."

"Heh, well, your best bet is to head out there and see who needs work. You could write out there andask- our communication network is exceptional- but the truth is things move so fast on the frontier that by the time you get out there, any open jobs might be taken, and vice versa."

He explains that Firm dues cost 25gp per week per character level. Citizenship comes with a few privileges, including a 10% discount on all purchases made from Firm-approved shops. Citizens get access to a number of services such as the postal system, hired protection, and, most importantly, the Mercenary Network. The Mercenary Network allows Firm citizens to post bounties (on any non-Firm citizen) in nearly every city in the continent, in exchange for a 30% commission when the bounty is fulfilled. The Firm's bounty hunters are unparalleled in their effectiveness and ruthlessness.

"So, I take it you'll join?" Rosco says with a smile.

Admiral
2012-05-10, 04:30 AM
The red-haired woman ponders this for a moment, then speaks.
"...In what other capacity could we serve The Church?"

"Adventurers that follow the moral code of their deity and who help others in need do honor to us all. Some choose to be healers, some to protect the innocent from criminals and bandits, some to seek out long-lost treasures. Your faith is to your deity, and your allegiance to the Church, but your path is your own to choose."

Well, that is much to consider. I thank you for your openness, and I will consider what you have said carefully.

Well, that's an interesting way of looking at it... Its obviously not an impartial source, so I will have to see the institute's side of the story, but this could be a good place to get back to what is the right thing to do. I'm lucky Boccob is lenient around misdemenours, my record is by no means perfect... I wonder if she is bending the truth slightly, I would obviously be an asset to the Church...

Faeliel bows to excuse you. "Until we meet again."

Sense motive: [roll0]

Verden adopts a considering look, but his eyes maintain an intent gaze none the less.

Faeliel has the sincerity of a warrior who believes in her cause.

Lord Hakura
2012-05-10, 06:31 AM
Verden inclines his head politely back

Adressing the paladin and cleric:
Thanks for your company getting to the church, it was good to not be alone in this new land. I'll meet you at the Golden Bough at sundown.

Verden bows again, and takes his leave, walking back through the cathedral, and if he isin't hindered by anyone, out across the square and into the Institute.

Admiral
2012-05-10, 12:39 PM
Verden inclines his head politely back

Adressing the paladin and cleric:
Thanks for your company getting to the church, it was good to not be alone in this new land. I'll meet you at the Golden Bough at sundown.

Verden bows again, and takes his leave, walking back through the cathedral, and if he isin't hindered by anyone, out across the square and into the Institute.

Verden walks to the opposite side of the large square, approaching the Institute guildhall. The building is a formidable sandstone castle with an open courtyard in the center and a wide gate at the front- it looks much like the universities he'd studied at before, but on an even grander scale.

Next to the gate he notices several armored guards that he recognizes as warmages. Upon noticing his lack of a guildmark, they brusquely give him directions to a recruitment office on the right inside the gate. Upon giving his name and some details, he is ushered in, and finds a friendly-looking gnome who greets him with a warm handshake. There is an ornate mahogany desk with a chair behind it, but the gnome has perplexingly chosen to sit on top of the desk instead.

"Hello! I'm Chum the Enchanter. So, Verden, eh? Tell me about yourself and why you might be interested in joining the Institute."

NotScaryBats
2012-05-10, 01:21 PM
"Providencia. I think I'll just go try that. Thank you kindly for your advice, sir, you've been most helpful." Hope continues to chit chat with the halfling for a short time and then takes her leave of the guildhall.

Unless she is stopped, she goes about the town, taking in the sights, chatting with shopkeepers, and generally enjoying her first afternoon in this strange new land. When the time comes to meet at the Golden Bough, she has already gotten a room for herself, and is sitting in the dining hall, being generally friendly and cordial.

Gather information check to see if I learn anything interesting (particularly about Providencia) [roll0]

HearTheRequiem
2012-05-10, 01:28 PM
"Adventurers that follow the moral code of their deity and who help others in need do honor to us all. Some choose to be healers, some to protect the innocent from criminals and bandits, some to seek out long-lost treasures. Your faith is to your deity, and your allegiance to the Church, but your path is your own to choose."

Jeanne nods, considering this for a long moment, then speaks.

"I would like to pledge my allegiance to the Church."

missmvicious
2012-05-10, 02:25 PM
Forgot to mention- since you've been under a Zone of Truth, you are going to be held to the fact that you are a riot at parties.

Since she is charismatic and can be who ever she wants to be she is in fact a riot at parties.

Rahne eyes the brand thinking that it looked awfully garish on the pale elven skin. "Short of a pair of gloves is there a good way to mask these things?" she asks the elf. "My companions believe that I went to the Institute today and this would be quite the tell tale of the little lie."

Admiral
2012-05-10, 02:34 PM
Since she is charismatic and can be who ever she wants to be she is in fact a riot at parties.

Rahne eyes the brand thinking that it looked awfully garish on the pale elven skin. "Short of a pair of gloves is there a good way to mask these things?" she asks the elf. "My companions believe that I went to the Institute today and this would be quite the tell tale of the little lie."

"What your companions believe is hardly our fault," responds the elf coldly. "Surely someone of your supposed cunning can think of something. But they may be grateful just to have a Syndicate citizen among them, especially one who is not afraid to lie."

With that he waves his hand to dismiss Rahne from the chambers.

missmvicious
2012-05-10, 02:43 PM
"What your companions believe is hardly our fault," responds the elf coldly. "Surely someone of your supposed cunning can think of something. But they may be grateful just to have a Syndicate citizen among them, especially one who is not afraid to lie."

With that he waves his hand to dismiss Rahne from the chambers.

"No need to be so cold," Rahne coos "I was simply wondering if you had any advice since I am sure there is experience in the guild to draw from." Rahne then wrinkles her nose and goes on "And I think one of them is a paladin or something so realistically I doubt their enthusiasm about a Syndicate member."

Admiral
2012-05-10, 02:57 PM
"No need to be so cold," Rahne coos "I was simply wondering if you had any advice since I am sure there is experience in the guild to draw from." Rahne then wrinkles her nose and goes on "And I think one of them is a paladin or something so realistically I doubt their enthusiasm about a Syndicate member."

"When you associate with paladins, you take that risk."

A moment of uncharacteristic sympathy suddenly crosses the elf's face, with what looks like a hint of nostalgia. "Where you came from, the Thieves' Guild was probably a shameful organization of outcasts. Perhaps it had to exist in secret, perhaps it was based underground."

"Do you think in any other continent, thieves could wear their confessions out on their hands? That they could have their headquarters standing tall alongside others in the city square? With hard work we have earned our legitimate standing in this continent; you have no reason to hide."

"Besides, only a hypocrite would be ashamed of knowing a Syndicate citizen, as if the other Guilds don't hide secrets far more sinister than any of ours. If your companions know the first thing about Eldgar, they'll know not to cast such shallow aspersions."

Like a spell ending, the elf's interest disappears, and he waves Rahne away again. This time, a sentinel comes to put a rough hand on Rahne's shoulder and beckon her out.

Admiral
2012-05-10, 03:02 PM
As Rahne leaves the chamber, the interviewer looks up and shouts out one more piece of advice, as if it just occured to him.

"As for that paladin, perhaps you should make him think he can lead you to atone and redeem yourself. Paladins just eat that up." This time the nostalgia in his voice is unmistakable.

Admiral
2012-05-10, 03:11 PM
[COLOR="DarkRed"]

Gather information check to see if I learn anything interesting (particularly about Providencia) [roll0]

It is easy to learn about Providencia, the largest city in the Eldgar (and, indeed, the world). The metropolis is at the center of the continent and stretches many miles in diameter- some say it takes days to cross by foot. The city's buildings stretch taller than in any other city, and the population is packed like fish in barrels. Unlike other cities, there is no guildsquare- the central headquarters of each guild are each located on the outside of the city, and each is so large that it could almost be considered a city itself.

Hope finds a comfortable room and settles down at the Golden Bough to wait for her companions.

missmvicious
2012-05-10, 03:28 PM
As she leaves Rahne ponders the elf's advice. "Not a bad idea" she thinks to herself,"though probably risky to try that so early on in our friendship. That elf sure had a crazy temper though, cool one moment angry the next." She looks over to her escort and asks "So is there another step in this process or am I free to run and play with the other kiddies?"

Admiral
2012-05-10, 03:30 PM
Jeanne nods, considering this for a long moment, then speaks.

"I would like to pledge my allegiance to the Church."

"I will think about it, Bishop. For now I have some free time... first time in years, don't want to be bound to one place for a while. After the need for travel is fulfilled and I get to know this place better I would be happy to serve the Church in more... stationary manner."
Morgunn finishes the 'interview', and as they go to the main hall [I assume there would be someone coming with him] , he asks the priest they met at first if there are any suitable lodging options for newcomers and citizens of the Church like them.

"We are honored to have both of you join the Church," says Faeliel graciously. "Now for the usual formalities."

She calls for a pair of paladins, who lead Jeanne and Morgunn down into the catacombs below the church. As they descend, the beauty of the upper levels transforms into a more utilitarian atmosphere, one built around security and secrecy. The guards open a gate, and you find yourself in a subdued basement, with a few paladins stationed around under flickering lamps.

At the center of the chamber is a hooded figure; he might be human but it is impossible to tell for sure. He beckons the two newcomers over, and draws out a brand that is chained to the floor. The quick but mysterious process of guildmarking follows, and when it is finished both Jeanne and Morgunn have a pair of perpindicular lines on their hands.

The hooded figure never speaks, but one of the paladin escorts pats the two new citizens on their backs. "Welcome to the Threadmyr Church."

Admiral
2012-05-10, 03:34 PM
As she leaves Rahne ponders the elf's advice. "Not a bad idea" she thinks to herself,"though probably risky to try that so early on in our friendship. That elf sure had a crazy temper though, cool one moment angry the next." She looks over to her escort and asks "So is there another step in this process or am I free to run and play with the other kiddies?"

The escort responds gruffly. "Long as you remember the rules- 15% of your extralegal income to the guild, never steal from a Syndicate citizen- you're on your own to do as you please." At that point they reach the front door, and Rahne exits into the square.

missmvicious
2012-05-10, 03:51 PM
"Free to run and play then." Rahne says when she steps outside. "Perhaps I should get my room now then, and after that explore some."

HearTheRequiem
2012-05-10, 03:54 PM
"Thank you."
Jeanne addresses her fellow Paladin, before examining her guildmark and donning her gauntlets, testing to see if her new branding affected them at all.
Then, she stands, and addresses Faeliel.

"Is there any kind of service to attend, or are we free to go elsewhere to reflect upon today's events?"

Admiral
2012-05-10, 04:02 PM
"Thank you."
Jeanne addresses her fellow Paladin, before examining her guildmark and donning her gauntlets, testing to see if her new branding affected them at all.
Then, she stands, and addresses Faeliel.

"Is there any kind of service to attend, or are we free to go elsewhere to reflect upon today's events?"

Faeliel remained upstairs in the courtyard- only the guards came down with you, but one of them can answer your question.

"Worship and prayer in the Church is always ongoing, and you are always welcome to come to pray for spells or ask our clergy for guidance. Daily service ended shortly before you arrived- it starts every morning at 9 and lasts an hour. You are welcome to attend tomorrow or any other day, but it is not mandatory (though I'm sure Bishop Faeliel would let you say a few words to welcome you if you like- indeed; I couldn't help but overhear that you sing)."

HearTheRequiem
2012-05-10, 04:08 PM
"I see. Thank you for your assistance, and may the blessings of the Songfather be upon you. I dare say I might make an appearance at service in the morning - I may even talk to the Bishop regarding a song."

With nothing left to say, Jeanne walks sedately out of the room, back up the stairs and into the atrium.

Lexin
2012-05-10, 04:32 PM
The hooded figure never speaks, but one of the paladin escorts pats the two new citizens on their backs. "Welcome to the Threadmyr Church."

"It is an honour. It is a good place to be."

After saying that Morgunn goes back to the atrium.
... And if he catches up to Jeanne, he says:

"I am going to Golden Bough now, to check where it is and maybe leave some luggage. Later I would probably go around the city, just to see how people live here. Would you like to accompany me?"

HearTheRequiem
2012-05-10, 04:42 PM
Jeanne, waiting in the atrium, smiles.
"It would be an honour, dear Morgunn."

Lexin
2012-05-10, 04:54 PM
Morgunn smiles back, as he says:
"Nice to hear it, dear. Let's go then."

Morgunn stops to ask for directions to the Golden Bough and, if Jeanne doesn't need anything else, they go to the inn.

missmvicious
2012-05-10, 06:30 PM
Oh almost forgot.

Rahne heads towards the inn.

Lord Hakura
2012-05-10, 08:05 PM
Greetings.
I've come to the Institute to inquire about the workings and aims of the guild, so as to be able to make a decision between this guild and another. You see, I have the issue of being proficent in both arcane and divine magic, and I find myself needing to choose between your own establishment and that of the church.
So, how does the institute work, and what are its aims?

PChubby
2012-05-11, 04:56 AM
"So, I take it you'll join?" Rosco says with a smile.

Mirus listens as Rosco explains the perks of the Firm. "I'll get a chance to do what I love, in a place with enough excitement to keep me interested. Sounds good, count me in."

Admiral
2012-05-14, 03:41 PM
Greetings.
I've come to the Institute to inquire about the workings and aims of the guild, so as to be able to make a decision between this guild and another. You see, I have the issue of being proficent in both arcane and divine magic, and I find myself needing to choose between your own establishment and that of the church.
So, how does the institute work, and what are its aims?

"Ah..." says the gnome, deep in thought. "Well... yes, yes, I'll tell you about a bit about the Institute."

[B]"Like any university, we have two goals: research and education. We develop and push the frontiers of current magic, from inventing new magical devices to forging new epic spells out of the raw forces of magic. In other lands, most of the powerful wizards lock themselves away in fortresses to master their magic without external distraction. Here in Eldgar, however, we believe that only the free and open exchange of ideas can push magic forward. Our spirit of collaboration has driven us to become the most respected center of magical research anywhere." His words, though well-spoken, sound practiced and memorized.

Like I said, our second goal is education; for there is no magic greater than the next generation. We provide classes in arcane magic for wizards of all levels of experience, as well as specialized programs for sorcerers, warmages and bards. And the benefits extend beyond classes. Any wizard of the Institute can copy any spell from our enormous library, for only the token fee of 50gp per spell level."

While some may disagree with me, I like to think that spell levels actually exist in game, though character levels do not. That is, spells can be classified the same way doctors would classify stages of disease- thus someone can say in character "a 3rd level spell."

"The Institute has campuses in every... Oh!" Suddenly his practiced speech grinds to a halt, as he snaps his fingers and lets loose a barely suppressed giggle. "Choosing between the Church and the Institute? Arcane and divine caster? You're the fireball, aren't you! The one sprouted out of the top of the Church not fifteen minutes ago!"

To speed things along, I'll assume Verden answers in the affirmative, though feel free to contradict me.

The gnome cackles. "I didn't see it, but enough of the higher-ups did that word spread pretty fast! Put all the warmages on red alert, you did! I was sure it was a couple of third-year sorcerers who snuck in, playing a prank."

"So, let's cut to the chase. Which do you think will suit you better: The Church or the Institute?"

Admiral
2012-05-14, 03:48 PM
Mirus listens as Rosco explains the perks of the Firm. "I'll get a chance to do what I love, in a place with enough excitement to keep me interested. Sounds good, count me in."

Rosco nods, gives Mirus another firm handshake, and knocks on the door behind him. While they wait, Rosco gives the names of a few interesting cities he'd visited on his tour along the frontier, the names of some brewpubs within, and his fair share of war stories. Before long, the mysterious ritual of guildmarking has passed, and Rosco bids the dwarf farewell to let in the next interviewee.

If Mirus is interested in joining the rest of the party at the Golden Bough, nothing in particular gets in his way.

Admiral
2012-05-14, 04:02 PM
Unless she is stopped, she goes about the town, taking in the sights, chatting with shopkeepers, and generally enjoying her first afternoon in this strange new land. When the time comes to meet at the Golden Bough, she has already gotten a room for herself, and is sitting in the dining hall, being generally friendly and cordial.

Morgunn smiles back, as he says:
"Nice to hear it, dear. Let's go then."

Morgunn stops to ask for directions to the Golden Bough and, if Jeanne doesn't need anything else, they go to the inn.

Rahne heads towards the inn.

Jeanne and Morgunn are the first to make it to the Golden Bough, a charming tavern filled with adventurers. The staff is made up of a blend of races, though the food seems inspired by dwarven cuisine. A wide bar takes up the center of the room, and tables fill the surrounding dining hall, with the vaulted ceiling showing off additional tables on the mezzanine. Jeanne and Morgunn find a table with little delay and are invited to order.

Rahne is the next to enter the tavern, followed by Mirus shortly after. Hope joins after a few more minutes, having taken in the sights. Each of the travelers now bears a fresh guildmark on his hand.

What shape is Rahne currently in? If she is in the same shape as she was on the boat, Jeanne and Morgunn will recognize her upon her entrance.

missmvicious
2012-05-14, 04:39 PM
Yeah Rahne will have switched back to her first form on the way. Also on the record she is wearing gloves.

Rahne walks into the tavern and scans to see if she is the first one there. Upon seeing Jeanne and Morgunn she smiles and walks over to them. "Hey I am going to get a room real quick, I'll be right back." She says.

She heads over to the bar keep to get a room while scanning the bar for the various tattoos on trying to get a look at the Institute's insignia.

Spot Check
[roll0]

Lexin
2012-05-14, 05:07 PM
When Morgunn arrived to the inn, first thing he checked if there are rooms available and, if yes, he got one. Then he sat at the table and ordered some ale.
After that he just waited for others with Jeanne.

[later]

"Don't worry and take your time..." he said to Rahne.

Admiral
2012-05-14, 06:16 PM
Yeah Rahne will have switched back to her first form on the way. Also on the record she is wearing gloves.

Rahne walks into the tavern and scans to see if she is the first one there. Upon seeing Jeanne and Morgunn she smiles and walks over to them. "Hey I am going to get a room real quick, I'll be right back." She says.

She heads over to the bar keep to get a room while scanning the bar for the various tattoos on trying to get a look at the Institute's insignia.

Spot Check
[roll0]

Rahne gets a good, close up look at a few Institute insignias.

missmvicious
2012-05-14, 06:26 PM
Smiling now about her good fortune she speaks to the bar keep about getting a room.

Lord Hakura
2012-05-14, 06:45 PM
"Ah..." says the gnome, deep in thought. "Well... yes, yes, I'll tell you about a bit about the Institute."

"Like any university, we have two goals: research and education. We develop and push the frontiers of current magic, from inventing new magical devices to forging new epic spells out of the raw forces of magic. In other lands, most of the powerful wizards lock themselves away in fortresses to master their magic without external distraction. Here in Eldgar, however, we believe that only the free and open exchange of ideas can push magic forward. Our spirit of collaboration has driven us to become the most respected center of magical research anywhere." His words, though well-spoken, sound practiced and memorized.

Like I said, our second goal is education; for there is no magic greater than the next generation. We provide classes in arcane magic for wizards of all levels of experience, as well as specialized programs for sorcerers, warmages and bards. And the benefits extend beyond classes. Any wizard of the Institute can copy any spell from our enormous library, for only the token fee of 50gp per spell level."

While some may disagree with me, I like to think that spell levels actually exist in game, though character levels do not. That is, spells can be classified the same way doctors would classify stages of disease- thus someone can say in character "a 3rd level spell."

"The Institute has campuses in every... Oh!" Suddenly his practiced speech grinds to a halt, as he snaps his fingers and lets loose a barely suppressed giggle. "Choosing between the Church and the Institute? Arcane and divine caster? You're the fireball, aren't you! The one sprouted out of the top of the Church not fifteen minutes ago!"

To speed things along, I'll assume Verden answers in the affirmative, though feel free to contradict me.

The gnome cackles. "I didn't see it, but enough of the higher-ups did that word spread pretty fast! Put all the warmages on red alert, you did! I was sure it was a couple of third-year sorcerers who snuck in, playing a prank."

"So, let's cut to the chase. Which do you think will suit you better: The Church or the Institute?"

Verden shifts awkwardly at the mention of the fireball, but grins quietly at the Gnome's good humor.

Hmm. I think the Institute is probably for me, The church seems to rigid in its structure, and all that knowledge... There is so much I could learn from this.

I think its the Institute for me, definitely. Your library sounds amazing, I would love to get a look at it some time

I think I worked out Verden's GP wrong, he should have at least a couple of thousand left over from his 88,000GP starting, But it currently states he has 10gp. Do you mind if I edit my character sheet's money to correct this?

If I have the money for it, Verden would like to copy Teleport to his spellbook.

Admiral
2012-05-14, 06:48 PM
Smiling now about her good fortune she speaks to the bar keep about getting a room.

She is shown to a room appropriate for the price she requests.

You can choose the price. ETA: That is to say, something like 5 gp, 10gp, 20gp, 50gp. The niceness of the room will depend on the cost.

NotScaryBats
2012-05-14, 07:34 PM
Hope arrives at the Golden Bough fashionably late. She is smiling and trying very hard to mask the butterflies in her stomach. This was the right decision, wasn't it? She couldn't help but feel that she was about to put her hand into a bear trap.

Nonetheless, the 'Elven' woman perseveres and enters the building.

Once inside, she immediately spots her fellow Falcorians and waves hello to them. After getting an expensive wine from the bar, she seats herself and greets everyone. "Well I sure am glad you all came -- I was a little worried we wouldn't get a chance to meet again. I had a really pleasant experience with the Firm, how 'bout you?" she shows her hand excitedly and takes a sip of her wine, addressing the whole table. For all the world, she looks to be completely at ease.

Inside, she is anything but.

Lexin
2012-05-14, 08:14 PM
"Church welcomed us kindly. They knew quite a lot about us... Was the Firm also so well informed?"

He ask Hope with slight, but kind smile... sipping his 3rd Ale...

Admiral
2012-05-14, 11:40 PM
Verden shifts awkwardly at the mention of the fireball, but grins quietly at the Gnome's good humor.

Hmm. I think the Institute is probably for me, The church seems to rigid in its structure, and all that knowledge... There is so much I could learn from this.

I think its the Institute for me, definitely. Your library sounds amazing, I would love to get a look at it some time

The interviewer claps his hands together. "Excellent! I'm sure someone of your varied talents will have much to learn, much to teach and much to discover. Normally there'd be a practical test, but from what I heard your fireball covers that quite nicely."

"Now, if you would just fill out this paperwork..." The gnome drops a somewhat daunting stack of parchment onto his desk, and gestures for Verden to go into the adjacent room to complete it. "Just a formality, so that the Institute can better serve your needs. Once you're ready, we'll be happy to guildmark you and send you off to the library or wherever else you want to go!"

The paperwork starts by asking a series of simple questions about where and how Verden has studied magic, but soon enters into an enormous list that asks him to check off every single arcane spell he knows, which is quite the task for the accomplished archivist. At the end of the paperwork are some questions that hit closer to home- they ask if he has ever cast a divine spell, and, if so, how powerful are the divine spells he is capable of casting.

I think I worked out Verden's GP wrong, he should have at least a couple of thousand left over from his 88,000GP starting, But it currently states he has 10gp. Do you mind if I edit my character sheet's money to correct this?

If I have the money for it, Verden would like to copy Teleport to his spellbook.

If you're certain you calculated the money incorrectly I am happy to trust you on that.

Copying a spell into your spellbook requires 2 days- one day to study and learn the spell, at the end of which you would make a Spellcraft check that Verden will always succeed on, and one day to write it into your spellbook. (See here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm)).

So you're welcome to copy it once you join the guild, but you should probably join your friends first!

Admiral
2012-05-14, 11:47 PM

For some reason I completely missed the mark in terms of the price of a room- my fault for not looking up prices in the Player's Handbook. A single room at the Golden Bough costs 2gp a night, 3gp for a double room, and 6gp for a deluxe suite.

PChubby
2012-05-15, 02:28 AM
Mirus eyes the mark on his hand as he makes his way through town. Not sure how I feel about this whole mark business. He wore the marks of the Order and his clan but this felt different. It was all so business-like. He had hoped for a bit more ceremony, something to give the process weight.

As he enters the Golden Bough, a look of relief crosses his face as he spies his fellow travelers. Good to see familiar faces, even if they're only recently familiar. He makes a quick trip to the front desk for a room (2g) and true to his nature, orders a beer at the bar before joining them.

"Greetings folks! Everyone get all guilded up OK?" He says as he takes a seat at the table. He wafts his beer beneath his nose with a motion bordering on ritual as he waits to hear tale of the other guilds.

Lord Hakura
2012-05-15, 04:23 AM
The interviewer claps his hands together. "Excellent! I'm sure someone of your varied talents will have much to learn, much to teach and much to discover. Normally there'd be a practical test, but from what I heard your fireball covers that quite nicely."

"Now, if you would just fill out this paperwork..." The gnome drops a somewhat daunting stack of parchment onto his desk, and gestures for Verden to go into the adjacent room to complete it. "Just a formality, so that the Institute can better serve your needs. Once you're ready, we'll be happy to guildmark you and send you off to the library or wherever else you want to go!"

The paperwork starts by asking a series of simple questions about where and how Verden has studied magic, but soon enters into an enormous list that asks him to check off every single arcane spell he knows, which is quite the task for the accomplished archivist. At the end of the paperwork are some questions that hit closer to home- they ask if he has ever cast a divine spell, and, if so, how powerful are the divine spells he is capable of casting.

If you're certain you calculated the money incorrectly I am happy to trust you on that.

Copying a spell into your spellbook requires 2 days- one day to study and learn the spell, at the end of which you would make a Spellcraft check that Verden will always succeed on, and one day to write it into your spellbook. (See here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm)).

So you're welcome to copy it once you join the guild, but you should probably join your friends first!

Verden fills out the forms in a neat, orderly script, but balks slightly at the inquisition around his Divine potential.
Hmmm. Well, I suppose it is probably better if they know about it, keeping them in the dark could be fairly conspicuous, particularly with the issues they seem to be having with the Church...

Verden shrugs, and neatly fills out the form, saying Yes he has cast divine spells, and stating that the most powerful of his divine potential is able to raise those recently deceased.

I'm all finished now, Where would you like the paper?

Verden will get his mark, then proceed back to the tavern, and rent a room, provided no NPC's ask him for anything else.

NotScaryBats
2012-05-15, 11:49 AM
In response to Morgunn, Hope laughs lightly and says, "I'd be surprised if some of these people even know where Falcor is; the halfling I talked to didn't seem to know a thing about it or me. Just as well, I guess, what with starting new and all that" she takes a sip of her wine.

"My, I didn't even see you in there, Mirus -- here we've both gone and joined the same Guild. How about that hooded gal, eh? She sure was a sight. I just about leapt outta my chair when I saw her coming into the room with a big, scary brand -- I'm not gonna lie -- but it didn't hurt one bit when she stuck me with it. I guess you Church-goers got stuck by an angel or something, huh?" she drawls on, her tone light and gossipy.

Admiral
2012-05-15, 12:13 PM
Verden fills out the forms in a neat, orderly script, but balks slightly at the inquisition around his Divine potential.
Hmmm. Well, I suppose it is probably better if they know about it, keeping them in the dark could be fairly conspicuous, particularly with the issues they seem to be having with the Church...

Verden shrugs, and neatly fills out the form, saying Yes he has cast divine spells, and stating that the most powerful of his divine potential is able to raise those recently deceased.

I'm all finished now, Where would you like the paper?

Verden will get his mark, then proceed back to the tavern, and rent a room, provided no NPC's ask him for anything else.

The gnome takes the paperwork with a grunt and drops it into a file. "Well, now you should be all set! Let's get you set up." He unlocks a drawer and draws from it an unusual arcane sigil, lays it on the desk in front of him, and taps three times.

A hooded figure appears out of thin air in front of Verden, who recognizes from the whoosh of displaced air and the almost imperceptible planar distortion the signs of a greater teleport spell. The figure holds before it a long, almost menacing brand. He walks towards Verden and gestures for Verden's right hand. Once Verden has laid it out, the figure brings down the brand.

The brief flash that follows is almost thrilling, as Verden notices the extraordinary blend of epic magic in the brand being placed upon him. Much like earlier, he spots traces of the transmutation and abjuration schools, but further senses the presence of other schools he can't place, and of magic far beyond his expertise.

Almost immediately the branding ends, and the hooded figure disappears as abruptly as he arrived. Verden looks down to see a five-pointed star on the back of his hand. "Welcome to the Harnell Institute," intones the gnome with a smile.

The interviewer doesn't let him leave without being showed by pamphlets and brochures explaining all the things the Institute has to offer, from summer school to research apprenticeships. Eventually Verden is able to make his escape his way out of the university, and proceeds to the Golden Bough, which he reaches without incident.

HearTheRequiem
2012-05-15, 12:47 PM
Having paid for her deluxe room (6g), Jeanne turns to the others and smiles.

"I wouldn't say that exactly, Miss Hope...But I'm glad to see you again, at any rate!"

missmvicious
2012-05-15, 01:29 PM
Rahne sees no problem treating herself and gets a luxury room. She checks the locks on the door and windows to make sure they are secure before rummaging in her back pack. "Crap, I can't believe I forgot the disguise kit." She mutters to herself realizing that the inks and make up aren't in her bag. "You'd think I'd have noticed that." She goes on to scold herself.
"Well lets give this a try" She says quietly pulling off her glove. She wills hopefully for the mark on her hand to switch to that of the Institute.

Admiral
2012-05-15, 02:06 PM
Rahne sees no problem treating herself and gets a luxury room. She checks the locks on the door and windows to make sure they are secure before rummaging in her back pack. "Crap, I can't believe I forgot the disguise kit." She mutters to herself realizing that the inks and make up aren't in her bag. "You'd think I'd have noticed that." She goes on to scold herself.
"Well lets give this a try" She says quietly pulling off her glove. She wills hopefully for the mark on her hand to switch to that of the Institute.

Rahne stretches out her hand, and focuses diligently on the transformation. To her dismay, the three slashes stay perfectly intact. She shakes her hand and tries again, but the mark shows no sign of alteration. She warps the skin under the mark through a rainbow of colors and textures, and every time the brand lays right on the surface, as if mocking her. It feels as though the mark is somehow external from her shifting body; she could no more transform the insignia than she could change the color of her gloves.

Lord Hakura
2012-05-15, 03:47 PM
The gnome takes the paperwork with a grunt and drops it into a file. "Well, now you should be all set! Let's get you set up." He unlocks a drawer and draws from it an unusual arcane sigil, lays it on the desk in front of him, and taps three times.

A hooded figure appears out of thin air in front of Verden, who recognizes from the whoosh of displaced air and the almost imperceptible planar distortion the signs of a greater teleport spell. The figure holds before it a long, almost menacing brand. He walks towards Verden and gestures for Verden's right hand. Once Verden has laid it out, the figure brings down the brand.

The brief flash that follows is almost thrilling, as Verden notices the extraordinary blend of epic magic in the brand being placed upon him. Much like earlier, he spots traces of the transmutation and abjuration schools, but further senses the presence of other schools he can't place, and of magic far beyond his expertise.

Almost immediately the branding ends, and the hooded figure disappears as abruptly as he arrived. Verden looks down to see a five-pointed star on the back of his hand. "Welcome to the Harnell Institute," intones the gnome with a smile.

The interviewer doesn't let him leave without being showed by pamphlets and brochures explaining all the things the Institute has to offer, from summer school to research apprenticeships. Eventually Verden is able to make his escape his way out of the university, and proceeds to the Golden Bough, which he reaches without incident.

Verden enters the bar, and purchases a room (2gp), and after attending to his room, spots the rest of the group, and walks over, quietly scanning the room as he does so.

[roll0] He's looking for the Guildmarks, and then comparing them to the marks on the hands of the group, working out if there are any syndicate persons in the bar.

Hello again. How was everyone's day?

Verden has checked his room over, and organised it, but none of his stuff is left in the room, he doesn't want to be stolen from.

Admiral
2012-05-15, 04:37 PM
Verden enters the bar, and purchases a room (2gp), and after attending to his room, spots the rest of the group, and walks over, quietly scanning the room as he does so.

[roll0] He's looking for the Guildmarks, and then comparing them to the marks on the hands of the group, working out if there are any syndicate persons in the bar.

Verden spots a table of Syndicate citizens having some beers in one of the booths, a Syndicate gnome at the bar flirting with the bartender, and a party of Syndicate half-orcs waiting for a table. No one seems to pay them any special attention.

missmvicious
2012-05-15, 05:56 PM
"I suppose that would be to easy." Rahne sighs to herself. "Looks like the gloves are staying on."
She heads down stairs and returns to the group hoping that no one wants to see the mark.

NotScaryBats
2012-05-15, 06:29 PM
"It is nice that everyone is together now, but I have to ask what all of your plans are. Did you all get jobs? I was offered but they all seemed rather boring," she frowns slightly, "I was told Providencia had better options -- that's the Capitol -- but I'm not in any hurry to get there. There's just so much to see. Anyway, what about you all?"

missmvicious
2012-05-16, 01:49 AM
"Oh I just joined and they said to stop by later if I had business with them. Isn't it dangerous to go around without joining a guild? I had a guy try and rob me just en route to the guild earlier." Rahne says with a frown.

PChubby
2012-05-16, 05:22 AM
"My, I didn't even see you in there, Mirus -- here we've both gone and joined the same Guild. How about that hooded gal, eh? She sure was a sight. I just about leapt outta my chair when I saw her coming into the room with a big, scary brand -- I'm not gonna lie -- but it didn't hurt one bit when she stuck me with it. I guess you Church-goers got stuck by an angel or something, huh?" she drawls on, her tone light and gossipy.

"Seems I'm in good company then Miss Hope." Mirus smiles as he continues to judge his beer. "I was expecting a bit more from the branding. It seemed over before it started. Guess I'm just used to Dwarven ceremonies. As for work, Rosco suggested visiting the frontier towns for more interesting assignments. Recalled a town called Marvell specifically.... " His voice trails off as he finally stops examining his beer and takes a swig.

A look of complete suprise lights up Mirus' face. "Well damn me to Nine Hells, someone around here knows how to brew!" He regains his composure as he wipes the foam from his moustache and turns to Rahne. "Someone tried to rob you? I hope you sent them packing with a scrape or two to remember you by."

Lord Hakura
2012-05-16, 06:17 AM
"Oh I just joined and they said to stop by later if I had business with them. Isn't it dangerous to go around without joining a guild? I had a guy try and rob me just en route to the guild earlier." Rahne says with a frown.

Oh, now that's just rude. And on your first day too. Are you hurt?

Verden looks mildly concerned at the mention of the attacks.

missmvicious
2012-05-16, 01:40 PM
Rahne lets the smile of pride take over her face now as she tells her companions of the robbery gone harmless, "I am quite fine, he was much to loud and clumsy to get the drop on me. And I only had to strike him once before he took tail and ran, without my coin purse and without any magical items as well. But it does make you worry about the fact that crime is allowed here as long as you with the Syndicate and are playing by their rules. I wonder if there is a way of deterring it."

Lexin
2012-05-16, 02:05 PM
Rahne lets the smile of pride take over her face now as she tells her companions of the robbery gone harmless, "I am quite fine, he was much to loud and clumsy to get the drop on me. And I only had to strike him once before he took tail and ran, without my coin purse and without any magical items as well. But it does make you worry about the fact that crime is allowed here as long as you with the Syndicate and are playing by their rules. I wonder if there is a way of deterring it."

"We should have stayed together and accompany you to the guild. but thankfully you are safe. So... how was it in ...Institute?"

Morgunn frowns a bit, straining his memory.

missmvicious
2012-05-17, 01:42 AM
"Very straight and to the point, which I can appreciate." Rahne says hoping he doesn't go into much further into questioning her.

Admiral
2012-05-17, 02:29 AM
The party's conversation is interrupted by a bloodcurdling scream. Upon turning around, the group sees a horrifying sight at a booth in the back of the tavern.

A dwarf and a human are sitting in the booth facing each other, and for some reason the first thing that registers is the Firm insignia on the back of the dwarf's hands. Next to register are the daggers jutting through the two necks, followed by the assassins who hold the blades, a pair of swarthy humans standing next to the booth. A brief moment of shock passes before the party realizes that a double murder has just taken place mere yards away.

After this instant of silence, the world comes back into focus and the tavern reacts in a cacophony of noise. A group of Firm guards two tables away from the murder starts to rise, their faces furious, but they never make it to their weapons. A thousand sticky strands appear out of nowhere and envelop them, along with both adjacent tables, until in seconds they are entangled and immobilized. Verden recognizes this as a web spell, and knows the murderers must have a spellcasting accomplice nearby.

The two assassins start to run towards the door, their blades ready for anyone who tries to get in their way. As they sprint, the insignias on their hands become visible- both show the mark of the Firm.

We're going to try this combat without a map- I'm of the opinion that PbP games don't lend themselves to undue focus on precise geography, though try to keep track of what characters are in melee combat, how far you are from your opponents, etc. I'm very open to other opinions of how to run combat, so consider this a trial run.

You are at a table 30 feet from the booth (where the assassins are still standing at the start of the combat), and the assassins have to run past your table to get to the entrance, which is another 60 feet away.

Initiative:

Jeanne: [roll0]
Morgunn: [roll1]
Verden: [roll2]
Rahne: [roll3]
Mirus: [roll4]
Hope: [roll5]
Enemies: [roll6]

(Having all the enemies move in the same initiative spot makes things easier and faster. Typically I simply average their initiative bonuses).

Initiative order:

Rahne
Mirus
Morgunn
Enemies
Jeanne
Verden
Hope

missmvicious
2012-05-17, 05:26 PM
"The mark of the Firm?! Rahne thinks quickly, "So I can step in, and this will be good all around." Rahne jumps to her feet wasting no time and draws her blade then she swiftly shifts so the attackers are going to have to run between her and her companions before bolting for the door.

PChubby
2012-05-17, 05:40 PM
Mirus quickly looks around the tavern to see where the spell came from but has no luck. Drawing his maul as he stands, he moves to confront the assassins. His shield starts to hover around him as he approaches. He positions himself to block their path, a rage burning in his eyes. "I may be a new hire but I'm guessing by those Firm guard's reactions this isn't a sanctioned bounty. I can't abide that."

Not sure how specific you want things broken down as far as actions go.

Move to stand
Free to draw weapon/shield as part of a move
Move 30ft to threaten
No Action Rage

Lexin
2012-05-17, 05:54 PM
Morgunn stands up as he sees what just happened. If you look for any emotion on his face... there would be mostly sadness.
"Stop! This doesn't need to end with a fight! Surrender and we won't hurt you!"
He shouts, after that if they don't stop to talk, he starts chanting his prayers praising Odin and asking for help in incoming battle.

Diplomacy
[roll0]

Standard action [chanting]
Casting Recitation (+2 luck bonus AC, Saves, attack rolls) [+3 if they worship Odin)
it affects everyone who joins our fight against assassins

Spellcraft, if any enemy cast a spell (he doesn't need to see them, DC 15+spell level)
[roll1]
[roll2]

HearTheRequiem
2012-05-17, 06:07 PM
Jeanne rises from her seat, glaring at the two assassins and drawing her falchion as she does so.

As she hears Morgunn chant, she gently intones in time with him, her voice echoing strangely as the chanting gets louder. Her falchion, Rahne's blade and Mirus' maul seem to resonate with her voice, before bursting into golden flame.

Move action: Stand up.
Free: Draw weapon.
Standard: Initiate Dragonfire Inspiration. Have +2d6 damage, everyone!

Admiral
2012-05-17, 07:09 PM
The assassins pay no heed to Morgunn's words. They barrel towards Rahne, who in the guise of an innocent maiden looks like the most vulnerable of the people blocking them. As they move, they sheathe their daggers and each draw a pair of rapiers, their motions almost in sync. The two charge right at Rahne and attempt to slice through her with both their weapons.

Assassin 1 Weapon 1: [roll0], dmg [roll1]
Assassin 1 Weapon 2: [roll2], dmg [roll3]
Assassin 2 Weapon 1: [roll4], dmg [roll5]
Assassin 2 Weapon 2: [roll6], dmg [roll7]

ETA: 5 points of damage.

Mirus stands within melee range of one of the assassins. The other party members are seated (except Morgunn, who is standing) but could use their 30 ft move action to move and attack them.

Morgunn, the Recitation (http://dndtools.eu/spells/unapproachable-east--33/recitation--3460/) I found doesn't give bonuses to AC, just attacks and saves. On the other hand, it gives penalties to foes.

While the assassins attack Rahne, Morgunn suddenly senses the spell web being cast by an enemy. He doesn't know where the caster is, but if he acts immediately, he might be able to prevent it from doing the damage that was intended.

ETA: Rahne expertly dodges three of the swipes, but the fourth slashes a shallow gash into her arm.

Lord Hakura
2012-05-17, 08:29 PM
Verden curses quietly in draconic at the assasin's attack, and looks shocked when they charge.

He clenches one fist and his ring glows, and a semi-transparent barrier appears in front of him.

He then raises his palm, mutters to himself, and launches a small, semi-visible orb at the closest assassin.

Verden then grasps a black rod in his leg pouch, and mutters again, placing his staff on Rahne. Energy flows up the staff, and settles into a cloak over her.

Turn breakdown:
Free action to activate Ring of force shield, +2 to AC

Standard action casting Orb of Force. No saving throw, touch attack success to deal damage.
VS touch AC: [roll0] (I'm not sure I have everything here...)
Damage [roll1]

Move action:
Using one charge from my metamagic quicken rod to cast Mage Armour on Rahine, +4 to AC for 12 hours.

Admiral
2012-05-17, 09:13 PM
A new tangled web sprouts into existence, but this time 20 feet behind the pair of assassins, such that the outermost strands lash out and try to entangle them.

Assassin 1 Reflex: [roll0]
Assassin 2 Reflex: [roll1]

One of the killers avoids the worst of the web with a nimble hop, but the other is struck by a dozen sticky strands that clench around his legs like a beartrap.

Admiral
2012-05-17, 09:30 PM
Verden curses quietly in draconic at the assasin's attack, and looks shocked when they charge.

He clenches one fist and his ring glows, and a semi-transparent barrier appears in front of him.

He then raises his palm, mutters to himself, and launches a small, semi-visible orb at the closest assassin.

Verden then grasps a black rod in his leg pouch, and mutters again, placing his staff on Rahne. Energy flows up the staff, and settles into a cloak over her.

Turn breakdown:
Free action to activate Ring of force shield, +2 to AC

Standard action casting Orb of Force. No saving throw, touch attack success to deal damage.
VS touch AC: [roll0] (I'm not sure I have everything here...)
Damage [roll1]

Move action:
Using one charge from my metamagic quicken rod to cast Mage Armour on Rahine, +4 to AC for 12 hours.

The ball of energy flies at the assassin who avoided the worst of the web. He sees the orb coming and tries to avoid it, but the web around his feet prevents him. The orb smashes violently into his chest like a cannonball, clearly crushing his ribs and causing severe interal injuries.

This is another one of those times that lack of geometry is unfortunate- Rahne stood up and moved away from the others to get into a flanking position, so Verden isn't in range of a touch spell like mage armor. Verden is welcome to use his move action another way.

Lord Hakura
2012-05-17, 09:35 PM
Ok, I'll still use the metamagic rod, but this time, Casting Spell Resistance on myself. I don't want to be webbed.

NotScaryBats
2012-05-17, 11:51 PM
Hope is the last to react, perhaps due to the wine she has ingested. Still holding the glass in one hand, she stands up and turns to the assassins, attempting to look non-threatening -- a simple task as an unarmored Elven maiden armed with nothing but a glass of wine.

Her voice calm and kind, she asks the webbed man to give up the fight.

"Please, you don't have to run. Let's jus' sit down and work this out. I'm also a Firm member. It's okay."

Move: stand up
Standard: Charm Monster on the entangled assassin
Assuming you allow the recustomization, the save DC is 28, but he gets a +5 to the save because he is threatened by my allies.

A will save negates, but if he fails, he is charmed for 12 days.

Admiral
2012-05-18, 12:28 AM
Hope is the last to react, perhaps due to the wine she has ingested. Still holding the glass in one hand, she stands up and turns to the assassins, attempting to look non-threatening -- a simple task as an unarmored Elven maiden armed with nothing but a glass of wine.

Her voice calm and kind, she asks the webbed man to give up the fight.

"Please, you don't have to run. Let's jus' sit down and work this out. I'm also a Firm member. It's okay."

Move: stand up
Standard: Charm Monster on the entangled assassin
Assuming you allow the recustomization, the save DC is 28, but he gets a +5 to the save because he is threatened by my allies.

A will save negates, but if he fails, he is charmed for 12 days.

Will save: [roll0]

The entangled assassin stops fighting. "Oh... well... yes, I'm sure we can work this-" he stops, and looks confused, as if waking from a dream. "Right. You're right, let's talk." He stops struggling, as though a burden has been lifted.

NotScaryBats
2012-05-18, 12:48 AM
Was that a 23 failure or a 23+5 success?

missmvicious
2012-05-18, 07:35 PM
Rahne doesn't wait for the second assassin to respond to Hope also and lashes out at him her blade returning his attack with two strikes from her frosty rapier.
Full attack
Attack 1

Confirm Crit >hopeful face
[roll]1d20++14
Damage
[roll1]
Other attack posted in the OOC since I am unused to doing a full attack and messed it up.
Total damage was 29

Admiral
2012-05-18, 10:46 PM
Rahne doesn't wait for the second assassin to respond to Hope also and lashes out at him her blade returning his attack with two strikes from her frosty rapier.
Full attack
Attack 1

Confirm Crit >hopeful face
[roll]1d20++14
Damage
[roll1]
Other attack posted in the OOC since I am unused to doing a full attack and messed it up.
Total damage was 29

Rahne's first slice carves deeply into the assassin's arm, and her second strike pierces straight through his already wounded chest. The assassin falls back into the web, instantly dead.

The other killer looks shocked, but composed. "You didn't have to do that. Like the lady said, we could have worked it out!"

I don't see any rule about killing allies giving another will save. Any attempt to hurt the charmed person himself, on the other hand, will break the spell.

NotScaryBats
2012-05-19, 12:44 AM
Hope attempts to take command of the situation, assuming no one else is being violent.

Diplomacy roll [roll0]

"This here is Firm business now, folks, let's not get too fussy here. Jeanne, would you help me with the crowd? Mirus, let's try and see what our friend here knows. Rahne, would you mind checking out the assassinated people in the booth? Morgunn's medical knowledge would be helpful, would you help her? Verden -- can you find the accomplice?"

HearTheRequiem
2012-05-19, 04:32 AM
Jeanne sheathes her weapon and claps her hands, her last note hanging in the air as the fire from her allies' weapons seems to melt away.

"Alright, everyone, you heard the lady. This is official Firm business, so, please, if you would, try to remain calm. Barkeep, is there a room we might take this man to, and work things out there? It would be best for everyone to try and enjoy what remains of their evening, as best they can."

Diplomacy: [roll0]

missmvicious
2012-05-19, 03:26 PM
"You guys are forgetting something," Rahne says to her team mates quietly. "These men just assassinated someone, which means there is another guild who is going to want to be involved."

NotScaryBats
2012-05-19, 05:29 PM
Hope does not know all the intricacies of the system yet, but bluffs her way through the situation as best as she can; who knows, she might even be right.

"Well sure -- normally. Right now, though, we have two Firm men dead from Firm assassins -- technically, they fall under the bodyguard and mercenary arm. So, the Syndicate has no hold in this affair."

She turns to the enchanted man to confirm her story, "Isn't that right?" she drawls confidently.

Lexin
2012-05-19, 05:33 PM
"First things first... there is still a caster somewhere. Verden, can you see him?" Says Morgunn, looking around with caution.

And after a moment...
"Hope, ask him where the caster is, maybe he will tell us."

PChubby
2012-05-19, 07:24 PM
Still seething, Mirus refrains from attacking the remaining assassin. He looks around the tavern for any sign of the web caster. "Show yourself, coward!" The dwarf stands ready to attack anything that shows it's self.
the caster is probably long gone but just in case...

Readied action: charge anything that turns visible or charge a if someone points out the invisible caster.

Admiral
2012-05-19, 08:28 PM
Hope does not know all the intricacies of the system yet, but bluffs her way through the situation as best as she can; who knows, she might even be right.

"Well sure -- normally. Right now, though, we have two Firm men dead from Firm assassins -- technically, they fall under the bodyguard and mercenary arm. So, the Syndicate has no hold in this affair."

She turns to the enchanted man to confirm her story, "Isn't that right?" she drawls confidently.

The assassin gives a look of dull confusion. "The Firm? I'm not in the Firm."

Before anyone can respond, Lexin's ring finger twitches and he realizes someone nearby is casting teleport.

Lexin
2012-05-19, 08:37 PM
Can you counterspell teleport?
DC 11+ caster level (if I remember correctly)
If yes [roll0]

NotScaryBats
2012-05-19, 09:41 PM
Hope blinks, but otherwise does not show her surprise. "May I see your hand? I thought I saw a Firm guild mark. My, how clumsy of me... What guild are you anyway?

"Oh, dear how rude of me -- you can call me Hope, what's your name?"

She seems completely unaware of the arcane happenings surrounding her.

missmvicious
2012-05-19, 11:21 PM
Rahne looks around quickly aware of the caster but turns her attention more to what she can see, through clenched teeth Rahne whispers to Hope "Do you think its a good idea to risk upsetting a guild that is allowed to commit crime when we are new to the continent? If there isn't a Syndicate mark on his hand then we should be careful about keeping this away from them."

Spot check to see the invisible caster
[roll0]
Well at least I am no worse off.

NotScaryBats
2012-05-25, 12:46 AM
A voice rings softly in Rahne's mind. "Honestly, sweetie, I'm just playing this by ear. If it comes time to warn the Syndicate then we'll tackle that problem, too. For now, let's just get to the bottom of this -- I swear I saw a Firm brand."

The 'Elven' woman is good at multi-tasking, and communicates telepathically with her comrade while interrogating the assassin.

Admiral
2012-05-25, 11:51 AM
Hope blinks, but otherwise does not show her surprise. [COLOR="DarkRed"]"May I see your hand? I thought I saw a Firm guild mark. My, how clumsy of me... What guild are you anyway?"

The assassin gives a nod of sudden recognition, and holds up his wrist, where Hope does indeed see the round insignia of the Firm.

"Oh, this? Well, you see-"

The man never finishes his sentence. For a brief, surreal moment a small invisible figure can be spotted floating in the air immediately above the enchanted assassin, its hand on the man's shoulder. While the floating figure is invisible, it is momentarily outlined by some kind of faint magical aura, as is the assassin.

An instant later, both have vanished. Only the dead man remains.

Lexin
2012-05-25, 11:58 AM
Morgunn grimaces as he sees what just happened

"Tss, wasn't fast enough, sorry lads."

He looks at the dead one

"Still maybe we will find out something from this one..."

He crouches to examine the body, focusing mostly on the guild sign on hand and the wound.

NotScaryBats
2012-05-25, 12:25 PM
Hope attempts to relay one last message to the assassin before he teleports away, but might not be fast enough. Telepathically, she says, "I will be at the Golden Bough -- come find me after nightfall."
He would still be enchanted for days -- unless someone broke the spell -- and might come back to her yet.

In the room, she stomps her foot like a spoiled child and looks more upset than is perhaps appropriate. She masters herself after a moment and looks about the room in earnest, hoping to spot something telling.

Spot check (I get a +8 racial bonus -- that's why its so high) [roll0]

HearTheRequiem
2012-05-25, 02:53 PM
Jeanne closes her eyes, and sketches something in midair. A silvery crescent moon hangs in the air for a moment, before dissipating, motes of silvery dust flurrying away.
"May you find your rest."

Turning to the group, looking slightly sombre and defeated, she speaks directly to Rahne.

"...Miss Rahne, you're hurt. Would you like me to take care of that for you?"

Admiral
2012-05-25, 04:23 PM
He crouches to examine the body, focusing mostly on the guild sign on hand and the wound.

Nothing is unusual about the wounds that Verden and Rahne inflicted; some of the damage was done by arcane magic and some by Rahne's skilled blade. Morgunn and all others who take a close look at the dead man's guildmark notice that it is utterly indistinguishable from those on the hands of any other Firm members they've seen. Like all guildmarks, it exhibits a shimmering array of rainbow colors that upon inspection appear almost infinitely deep.

"Halt!" comes a cry from behind the assassin. The party sees one of the Firm soldiers fighting his way through the vast, tangled web at the back of the tavern. The other soldiers from his table are still struggling to get free, but this one, a muscular dwarf, is tearing through the web with only moderate difficulty, and is now only a few yards from the assassin's body. "Lieutenant Yukon of the Fifth Division of Cardonne. Do not approach the body. This tavern is property of the Brearshaw Firm and is now being secured."

On the dwarf's authoritative voice, a few guards who had been standing dumbfounded on the edges of the tavern (their nerves perhaps slowed by consumption of alcohol) leap into action. They rush to approach the dead body, pushing the brave fighters out of the way. The head bartender snaps into action as if from a daze, shouting "Uh- right! Everyone out! Bar's closed!"

Once the guards have surrounded the body, the lieutenant gestures towards the party that was responsible for the suspect's apprehension. "Your contribution is greatly appreciated by the Firm. Please proceed outside and I'll be with you in a moment, once the site is secure."

Lexin
2012-05-25, 04:36 PM
Morgunn raises a brow when he hears that, but authority is authority... he waits for the others..."Lets go my friends, better not to mess with authorities on our first day here..."... and heads to exit... making only one short stop before their table, where he takes his ale... he paid for it after all!

missmvicious
2012-05-25, 05:13 PM
"Oh Jeanne I think its alright, I could sleep off a scratch like that. It wouldn't be a bad idea to clean it up some though." Rahne's mind again whirl winds considering her best options seeing the soldiers from the Firm. "How to avoid being spotted as a Syndicate member?" she asks herself. "Morgunn is right, we ought to step out." She says to the group, pondering if the guards would questions and she adds to her self while looking at her righteous companions "I certainly don't want to cause a fuss just yet."

NotScaryBats
2012-05-25, 05:50 PM
Hope opens her mouth to assert herself. After all, she is a Firm member and she helped defeat the assassins! Why shouldn't she be involved in the clean up of the murder scene and privy to anything that is uncovered? She readies her magic again to bend these guards to her will --

But, seeing her companions bow to authority and agree to leave without fuss derails that train of thought. Hope closes her mouth and bites her lip, thinking. The Succubus considers for a moment about the responsible use of her powers as she murmurs something affirmative and follows the throng of people pouring out of the bar.

PChubby
2012-05-25, 06:35 PM
With a frustrated roar Mirus takes a furious swing at the air as the assassin and his ethereal counterpart teleport away. "DAMN! Damn. damn." The enraged dwarf noticeably deflates as he calms from the fray.

He takes a seat and a swig of his beer to clear his head while Jeanne blesses the dead and tends Rahne. When ushered out, Mirus sets a steely gaze on the Lieutenant and holds up the back of his hand to show the mark of the Firm. "Secure all you want, I'm not going anywhere till I finish my beer."

missmvicious
2012-05-25, 08:22 PM
Waiting for the other to get their butts outside Rahne wonders if the guards are going to ask her and the others what exactly happened. She wonders if they would do it privately or all together. Or if they will demand to see everyone's marks. She considers taking off to ditch potential questioning. I wonder what my team would think if I took off.

Lord Hakura
2012-05-26, 12:59 AM
Verden looks shocked, then angry at the teleportation, and jumps when the guard shouts. He sedately progresses outside when told to, and notices rahine's wound(s)
That looks a little bit painfull Rahine, would you like me to heal that for you?

missmvicious
2012-05-26, 01:37 AM
Upon getting her second offer of healing she realizes that with all these divine warriors around her turning down the offer is quite silly. "I suppose it couldn't hurt, at least no more then getting it did." she says allowing herself to be healed.

Lord Hakura
2012-05-26, 07:30 AM
Verden leans his staff against the closest part of Rahine, and mutters a few words. Energy flows up, and repairs the damage from the assassin.
Cure light wounds, [roll0]

There, back to normal.

missmvicious
2012-05-26, 03:16 PM
"Thanks Verden." Rahne says with a smile looking down at where the injury had disappeared from. "I wonder how long we are going to get stuck out here waiting."

Admiral
2012-05-26, 06:23 PM
He takes a seat and a swig of his beer to clear his head while Jeanne blesses the dead and tends Rahne. When ushered out, Mirus sets a steely gaze on the Lieutenant and holds up the back of his hand to show the mark of the Firm. "Secure all you want, I'm not going anywhere till I finish my beer."

"You there- uh..." The lieutenant's authoritative voice falters as he fights his way closer to Mirus and gets a better view of the imposing dwarf without all the webs in the way. "This is for Firm soldiers only, not Firm citizens, so unless you have your credentials..."

He sounds somewhat halfhearted. The four other guards who are now surrounding the dead body eye each other nervously, and most of all eye the huge weapon on Mirus's back. None seem particularly interested in pushing him around. Finally, once the lieutenant breaks entirely free of the web, he points his battleaxe at Mirus. "Just hurry up and get out of our way."

As the group files out of the restaurant, a distinctive horn sounds multiple times from the back of the restaurant. At the sound, eight guards in Firm regalia come rushing towards the tavern from three blocks down the street. Once they reach the tavern, they rush into the door. A mere thirty seconds later, a contingent of twelve men comes barreling around the corner, and when they reach the tavern they take defensive positions around and inside it. Not all the city guard react this way- a group of Institute warmages stands idly by under a nearby streetlamp, watching the commotion.

The crowd of ejected patrons gathers outside the tavern, gossiping and speculating. Everyone seems a bit intimidated by the party who took down the killers. It sounds like little is known about the two murdered men except that they are senior officials in the Firm. Two minutes after the newest contingent of Firm reinforcements arrives, the lieutenant steps out of the tavern, and walks straight to the party. "Right- we'll just need to get the record straight about whatever happened there. If you'd please let me know your names, guilds, and everything you saw in there."

PChubby
2012-05-26, 09:42 PM
He sounds somewhat halfhearted. The four other guards who are now surrounding the dead body eye each other nervously, and most of all eye the huge weapon on Mirus's back. None seem particularly interested in pushing him around. Finally, once the lieutenant breaks entirely free of the web, he points his battleaxe at Mirus. "Just hurry up and get out of our way."

"Not aiming to start trouble. I'll be out of yer way, soon enough." Mirus says with a salute of his mug.

After seeming lost lost in his beer for a few moments, the dwarf flags down one of the Firm guards shuffling about. "Who were the unlucky lot to have their .. uh.. assets liquidated?" He says in a lowered voice as he nods to the bloody booth.

Mirus listens for stray bits of information during his pause and keeps an eye out for anyone of interest before outright asking about the victims. Not sure what rolls are appropriate.

Listen: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]
Gather Information: [roll2]

missmvicious
2012-05-26, 09:57 PM
"Sh**!" Rahne thinks of her pack up in her room. "You can do this, how hard can it be? Just slip away."

While the first of her companions answers the guards Rahne starts slowly working her way away from the group stealthily. She does her best to move away into the shadows.

Move Silently
[roll0]
Hide
[roll1]

If Rahne gets caught moving away before she gets to far away she'll stop.

Lord Hakura
2012-05-27, 09:09 AM
Verden notices Rahine backing away in the corner of his eye, but makes no mention of it, mentally flagging it to ask her later.

Addressing the guards, Verden speaks softly.
My name is Verden, Newly joined the Institute.
Verden shows his guild-marked hand, to confirm his claim.

I saw two assassins take out two members of the Firm, death appeared to be by a stabbing. Just after the stabbing, a Mage cast the Web spell on the nearby group of guards, rendering them unable to act. the assassins then proceeded to charge toward my companions and I, and one of them attacked us. The invisible Mage then attempted to cast web on us, and it was redirected back toward the assassins by Morgunn. I attacked one assassin, and Rahine finished off the other. Hope here spoke with the remaining assassin and convinced him to cease, but the Invisible Mage teleported himself and the assassin away before we could gather much useful information.

Then folds his hands in-front of him, and waits for the Guard's response.

Sorry if this is a bit garbled, its 2am local where I am at time of posting.
EDIT: Shows how tired I am, I put my text inside a spoiler rather than colour brackets. Fixed now.

NotScaryBats
2012-05-27, 07:09 PM
Hope confirms his story. "Yep, thsts about all there is to it. Too bad the assassins got away, but they have done way of duplicating Firm insignias -- that or he was under some sort of mind control. If you identify the corpse in there as a Syndicate man, it'd be the former -- if he's one of ours though it'd be the latter." Hopefrowns slightly, showing her mark absently.

Her incredible perception picks up Rahne immediately, but the 'Elven' woman is smart enough not to give her companion away. Some times a girl's gotta avoid attention. Hope knows this well.

Spot check is +22, so there is a 100% chance to detect Rahne.

HearTheRequiem
2012-05-28, 05:34 AM
"Jeanne Changeour, newly-initiated Church member. I will swear on my faith that everything Verden has said is true."

Admiral
2012-05-29, 07:25 PM
Verden notices Rahine backing away in the corner of his eye, but makes no mention of it, mentally flagging it to ask her later.

Addressing the guards, Verden speaks softly.
My name is Verden, Newly joined the Institute.
Verden shows his guild-marked hand, to confirm his claim.

I saw two assassins take out two members of the Firm, death appeared to be by a stabbing. Just after the stabbing, a Mage cast the Web spell on the nearby group of guards, rendering them unable to act. the assassins then proceeded to charge toward my companions and I, and one of them attacked us. The invisible Mage then attempted to cast web on us, and it was redirected back toward the assassins by Morgunn. I attacked one assassin, and Rahine finished off the other. Hope here spoke with the remaining assassin and convinced him to cease, but the Invisible Mage teleported himself and the assassin away before we could gather much useful information.

Then folds his hands in-front of him, and waits for the Guard's response.

Sorry if this is a bit garbled, its 2am local where I am at time of posting.
EDIT: Shows how tired I am, I put my text inside a spoiler rather than colour brackets. Fixed now.

Lieutenant Yukon nods. "That fits with what I saw, and the reports of my men. Mighty unusual case this is. 'Course I can't say anything more-"

Suddenly the lieutenant goes silent, his eyes fixed at a point over the party's shoulders. Without warning he springs into a full salute. Four guards of the Firm who are standing nearby do the same.

Upon turning around, the party sees a small group approaching down the street on horseback- they are galloping efficiently but with purpose, as though unrushed. Each of the approaching formation is clad in the unmistakable brown and white regalia of the Firm. As the assortment gets closer, the party can make out six Firm soldiers wearing intricate plate armor, an elf sporting an enormous longbow, a diminutive halfling in a hooded cloak and, at the lead, a man wearing a coat of deep black leather, riding a pale horse.

The formation stops a few yards away from the lieutenant and the party. The soldiers dismount with incredible efficiency, some diverging to join the other Firm guards in their perimeter. The leader in the black coat dismounts his horse in no hurry and walks over to the lieutenant. His mouth is curled into a friendly smile, but his eyes are keen and penetrating.

"Lieutenant Yukon!" he exclaims in a friendly voice. "Glad to see you ever vigilant in your duties; as always, you do the guild proud. A word, if you would." He says this last part as if he were simply pulling the dwarf aside at a party to ask about the latest gossip.

The lieutenant gives a quick and eager nod before stepping away with him. The newcomer gives a quick smile to the assembled party, communicating without a word his desire for them to stay around a little longer, then retreats to converse with the lieutenant. After a few minutes, the lieutenant steps back into the tavern, while the stranger steps in front of the entire assembled crowd.

"Citizens, I hope you were not disturbed by the occurrences tonight! What you saw was, in fact, a simple training exercise- a drill to test the response times and preparedness of Firm soldiers to an emergency, which required total secrecy to produce an accurate assessment. None of you were ever in any danger- the victims and assailants were in fact harmless, nonliving simulacra, and all violence was simple illusion magic. What was real was the extraordinary response by our brave soldiers and guards in securing the scene. The Brearshaw Firm thanks you for your role in keeping our security patrols vigilant and prepared against any emergency. While this tavern will be briefly closed for cleanup, we have arranged that the Spotted Wheel down the street will be serving free drinks all night as compensation for your participation. Have a lovely night!"

The man's words flow smoothly and cleanly, as if his speech were comfortably memorized, and his face displays a perfect benevolence. The murmurs of discomfort and rumor that had been sweeping the crowd start to quiet as he gives his speech, and his final sentence draws forth a wave of cheers and applause. The crowd, freed from all worry, starts to head down the street towards the Spotted Wheel.

The well-spoken stranger then turns towards the party with a smile. "I heard that were especially effective in bringing down the assailants. Vigilant bystanders are one of the Firm's greatest defense against crime and chaos. The lieutenant has told me much of your deeds, but if you would step back inside the tavern for just one moment, there are a few details I would love to clear up."

At that last sentence, the stranger's voice turns oddly urgent. He fixes each of you with a quick glance that communicates, in a single fleeting moment, that he is asking you back into the tavern for something important. He flashes a second glance at the crowd milling around them, implying that this agenda is secret. And then a moment later his face is just as natural as ever, and he turns around and walks back into the tavern.

----------------

"Not aiming to start trouble. I'll be out of yer way, soon enough." Mirus says with a salute of his mug.

After seeming lost lost in his beer for a few moments, the dwarf flags down one of the Firm guards shuffling about. "Who were the unlucky lot to have their .. uh.. assets liquidated?" He says in a lowered voice as he nods to the bloody booth.

Mirus listens for stray bits of information during his pause and keeps an eye out for anyone of interest before outright asking about the victims. Not sure what rolls are appropriate.

Listen: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]
Gather Information: [roll2]

The soldiers are wary around Mirus, and say little, instead seeming focused on making sure the rest of the Golden Bough is empty. When Mirus flags down one of the friendlier looking guards, the soldier seems reluctant to converse. "Well, I'm not sure I should say anything... I do think I've heard that those two are some kind of bigshots-"

At that moment the doors burst open and Lieutenant Yukon comes marching back in. "Change of plans, men, everyone out- head to the precinct for debriefing. The Agent is taking over here."

At that the soldiers all head for the door. The lieutenant takes another look around and then leaves himself, this time paying absolutely no attention to Mirus. For a surreal moment Mirus is completely alone in the tavern, then the doors swing open again, and the man in the black coat strides in, followed by a pair of guards in elaborate full-plate armor.

"Finish your drink, son," he says to Mirus, "and take your time. We and your friends have business to discuss."

NotScaryBats
2012-05-29, 08:48 PM
Hope nods, intrigued by the dashing man. Now, this is going to be interesting, she thinks to herself.

The 'Elven' woman follows the man into the building.

Lexin
2012-05-29, 08:56 PM
Morgunn is confused for a second... or two.
So much is happening in a very short time.
He follows the newcomer... at least there should be some answers coming.

missmvicious
2012-05-29, 11:28 PM
Rahne watched the man and the Firm representatives approach and listened carefully to what they were saying to the group.
Sensing the man's motive
[roll0]

Lord Hakura
2012-05-30, 12:47 AM
Verden's brow furrows at the man's claim that the people killed were illusions,

What? I would have noticed if anyone there was an illusion...

But his face quickly returns to a blank mask when he catches the man's stare.
At the invitation, verden silently walks back inside with the rest of the group.

Admiral
2012-05-30, 12:51 AM
Rahne watched the man and the Firm representatives approach and listened carefully to what they were saying to the group.
Sensing the man's motive
[roll0]

The stranger looks entirely like he's telling the truth- he's so convincing that for a moment Rahne believes him. Then she remembers the feel of her blade cutting through flesh, and she regains her certainty that whatever happened in that tavern was no illusion.

missmvicious
2012-05-30, 12:57 AM
Curious about what the Firm is trying to do Rahne slinks back into the tavern as well.

HearTheRequiem
2012-05-30, 05:37 AM
Deferring to authority, Jeanne follows the others sedately.

PChubby
2012-05-30, 06:45 AM
"Finish your drink, son," he says to Mirus, "and take your time. We and your friends have business to discuss."

Mirus raises a brow at the mysterious Agent's comment. "After this mess I hope it's the good kind of business. Cause if it's bad, I may need something a bit stronger."

The dwarf looks back at the door when the party re-enters. He tilts his head as his eyes widen, the look on his face asks "What the Hell is going on?" without the need for words.

NotScaryBats
2012-05-30, 12:10 PM
Hope reaches out telepathically to Mirus. Her drawl gently enters his mind. "This man's some kind of big shot in our Guild. Says this was all a training excercise, but I doubt it. He's smooth though."

She smiles back at the dwarf.

Admiral
2012-05-31, 10:25 PM
Once the party has entered the tavern, they see the stranger standing at the edge of the still-present web, staring towards the assassinated men, the dead assassin at his feet. He speaks without turning around.

"You know, amid all the guards and soldiers and warriors clad in brown and white, a newcomer to Eldgar might think that the Firm's business was violence. Nothing could be further than the truth. The Firm's business is... business."

He turns to look at them, a sadness newly visible in his eyes. "These were businessmen. Hawthorne and Lentor were their names- two merchants who were quite prominent in the Firm. Imports and exports, gold and goods- that was their life. And unless I'm mistaken, that was the cause of their death- at the hands of some wicked souls who would destroy innocent lives just to pursue their agenda against the Firm."

His manner turns businesslike. "I'll tell you more in a moment, but first we'll need a closer look. Do any of you have the power to erase these accursed webs?"