PDA

View Full Version : Needs more fire...

Orga_Strange
2012-04-21, 10:52 PM
Okay, so, a couple months ago I made a character for a psionic campaign. He's a chaotic evil human werewolf psion, and he's complete firebug(Gotta love the pyromania flaw). He started off at tenth level and he's gonna be leveling up soon and I'm thinking about prestiging, but I'm having a surprising amount of difficulty finding any classes that fit his fighting style. Think I can get a little advice?

Aegis013
2012-04-21, 10:59 PM
Considering all we know is psionic and firebug, Pyrokineticist PrC from Expanded Psionics Handbook seems to fit perfectly.

Jodah
2012-04-21, 11:11 PM
PK seconded. Remember the whip is a touch attack, so power attack becomes good. Also there is nothing stopping you from applying (greater) weapon afire to it. Hand afire doesn't stop you from wielding weapons in your flame hand, so you can power attack with two hands on the whip for a decent amount of damage, then let go with one hand as a free action to threaten adjacent squares too. Hand afire might also be able to help if you go wolf, but I don't know how that works exactly. If it does work, you can stack weapon afire on top (and it does stack) for +4d6 fire damage (6d6 with greater). If you have DFI bard with you, your fire damage will be through the roof.

You also get to have fun the with awesome flame bolt ability - 1d6/level is pretty good.

The only problem is that psion is better. In fact, almost anything that progresses your manifesting is better. So, great for flavor, no go for optimization.

Malimar
2012-04-22, 02:34 AM
Yeah, pyrokineticist is kind of a trap.

I might suggest asking your DM if you can work together on adapting Elemental Savant (Complete Arcane) to manifesting instead of casting. It shouldn't take very much work at all to adapt, and it progresses 8/10 levels (with the dead levels being late instead of early, which is nice).

Omegas
2012-04-22, 08:33 AM
He's a chaotic evil human werewolf psion, and he's complete firebug. I have to say that is a kewl concept in and of itself. :smallbiggrin:

Orga_Strange
2012-04-22, 10:14 AM
Well, being able to basically 'Flame on' sounds pretty freaking awesome, but so does turning into an elemental. I'll see what my DM says. And thanks for the advice, guys.

I have to say that is a kewl concept in and of itself.

Thanks. I figured I'd be able to pull of some fairly crazy things with him. And I have ^,,,^

Alabenson
2012-04-22, 10:29 AM
Yeah, pyrokineticist is kind of a trap.

I might suggest asking your DM if you can work together on adapting Elemental Savant (Complete Arcane) to manifesting instead of casting. It shouldn't take very much work at all to adapt, and it progresses 8/10 levels (with the dead levels being late instead of early, which is nice).

Actually, pyrokineticist is only truly terrible if you enter it through a class with manifesting. The requirements are sufficiently vague that, with a minimum of work, you can enter from literally any class you want.

If you're already in a manifesting class, though, it really is terrible.

Orga_Strange
2012-04-22, 10:32 AM
Well what makes it so bad exactly? Cause honestly, I'm not really seeing it.

Alabenson
2012-04-22, 10:39 AM
Well what makes it so bad exactly? Cause honestly, I'm not really seeing it.

Essentially, its the complete lack of manifesting advancement. Think about how bad a spellcasting Prc that didn't advance spellcasting; its literally the same scenario. The flip side, of course, is that if you enter without any manifesting, pyrokineticist can be a very fun Prc, since you don't have manifesting to lose.

Orga_Strange
2012-04-22, 10:59 AM
Oh...Yeah, that would suck. Hmm, maybe I can get him to let Pyro advance manifesting class? I doubt he would go for it, but eh...