PDA

View Full Version : Idea for a side-quest

Sheogoroth
2012-04-21, 10:52 PM
In-between campaigns, I had an idea for a side-quest, but I can't think of a good hook for it.
Essentially a small time Necromancer has taken to manufacturing cheap, low quality goods in a warehouse using undead servants as round-the-clock, no cost labor.
The party, the consumers, the local authorities, as well as the local Craftsmen's guild is blind to the means of manufacturing these... well I was considering clothing, but that requires a bit of finesse that a mindless undead would not posses.
If it was something brainless like forge work with low-quality iron shields, or basic tables they could conceivably do it in an assembly line fashion.

But how would one possibly hook this to the party without giving anything away?

Aegis013
2012-04-21, 10:54 PM
Get into town, an artisan carpenter is angrily screaming at someone about something. If the party investigates, have the artisan be willing to pay the group to "take care of" his competition, who is flooding the market with cheap, inferior goods and causing him to be unable to provide for his family.

limejuicepowder
2012-04-21, 10:59 PM
Anyone with detect evil/scent in the party? Have them detect/smell some evil (undead) coming off of a mundane item that is definitively not magical - even better, make several items at a shop "smell" faintly of evil (the undead are rubbing off on the items they create). Some investigating reveals where the item came from, and of course the PCs have to go investigate.

Sheogoroth
2012-04-21, 11:11 PM
I like the angry shopkeeper idea, but that seems a bit evil.
Maybe if he were to just trying to pick up on his competition's trade secrets.
Thanks!

Aegis013
2012-04-21, 11:15 PM
I like the angry shopkeeper idea, but that seems a bit evil.
Maybe if he were to just trying to pick up on his competition's trade secrets.
Thanks!

I figured you could turn it for either good or evil by my suggestion: starving family or "taking care of" the competition, based on what your party would respond to.

Saito Takuji
2012-04-21, 11:40 PM
i like this idea... Brb rolling up a necromancer