PDA

View Full Version : Romance in D&D!

Jane_Smith
2012-04-21, 11:01 PM
Howdy folks. Me and a significant other are planning to join a game soon, and, needless to say, when you play with someone you really love, you get squishy ideas from it. So, to broaden my horizons, id like to hear the forums previous romantic rp's or scenario's, or things they might have planned but never actually did.

Keep in mind, I say romance, not ERP or Adult-rated kinda stuff. Though just saying "a sensual night of lovemaking after surprising them with blah blah blah" or the like is completely fine, don't go into much detail on that topic. Don't want the admins whacking with me any over sized hammers made of lightning, keep it pg-13 you know?

Also, remember the sweeter, the better. :smallwink:

Fatebreaker
2012-04-21, 11:27 PM
Tales of Romance & Slaughter: Volume the First

Back in college, a buddy once ran a Cthulhu-esque zombie survival horror game where we all played ourselves during an outbreak in the surrounding town. He used a sanity mechanic to help represent the growing madness around us. To every player, he gave something special.

My girlfriend and I? He gave us the ability to recover sanity by "spending time with one another." We chose to interpret this by arguing constantly in game and doing our best "old married couple" impression while running from zombies.

"We wouldn't be running if you'd only remembered to barricade the door!"

"I would have remembered to barricade the door if you hadn't been nagging me the whole time about boarding up the windows!"

"Fatebreaker, if you were the last man on earth--"

"Darlin', be careful what you say, 'cause I'm about to be the last man on earth!"

Hilarity ensued.

Shadowknight12
2012-04-22, 01:20 AM
One time, another player and I decided our characters were battle-forged soulmates. There's a story in there (ain't there always? :smallwink: ), but it's boring and mushy. In the end, they sacrificed themselves to hold back an army of fiends while the rest of the party became empowered with the four parts of the dead God of Angels, Good and Holiness and took down the evil conjurer doing the summoning. It was poignant.

Cirrylius
2012-04-22, 01:36 AM
My girlfriend and I? He gave us the ability to recover sanity by "spending time with one another."

Heh. That reminded me of a CoC campaign. There was a player whose character would flirt and proposition my gunslinger (repeatedly). I shrugged it off because... well, because I really couldn't stand the PLAYER, and didn't want to interact with her any more than I had to. After a harrowing experience in a high-tech underwater city where we had to run from a MASSIVE proto-shoggoth in a submarine, getting a long, perfectly unobstructed view of it tearing a city of thousands apart, my character was lying on his bunk, staring wretched and dazed at the ceiling for hours ("The horror."), she slinked in and stripped down and basically went "Well?"

:smallsigh:

I just clapped my hands helplessly against my thighs, and said to the group at large "What the hell. We barely survived. I just saw stuff nobody should ever have to see. I need to do something human right now. Sure. Let's go."

Our DM was a sadistic ass, with no concept of human reproductive rates. The character got pregnant.:smallmad:

Fatebreaker
2012-04-22, 01:59 AM
Our DM was a sadistic ass, with no concept of human reproductive rates. The character got pregnant.:smallmad:

Like any good Call of Cthulhu game... just when you think it can't get any worse...

*shudders* The horror!

NOhara24
2012-04-22, 04:13 AM
I don't think any sort of romance between PCs has any real place in D&D, outside of the "old married couple" sort of deal. It only really serves to draw attention to the two players in particular, and places another thing in the DM's lap for him to deal with.

It's one thing to say "Our characters are in a relationship and have been for a X time period." vs. having them act like they're in a relationship in-game. If John Smith goes out and plans an elaborate date for he and Jane Smith because it's their anniversary according to game time, congratulations, that's sucking time away from the other players where they could actually be doing something useful.

tl;dr

Old Married Couple = Acceptable.
Honeymooners = Unacceptable.

Acanous
2012-04-22, 04:25 AM
You should both play male characters with high charisma. Backstory is you're brothers from a noble house. Easiest way to have the unconditional camraderie you're looking for without squicking the rest of the group.

And if you DO get hot and heavy with eachother, you can write it down and make a KILLING selling the book to teenaged girls.

dsmiles
2012-04-22, 06:52 AM
I don't think any sort of romance between PCs has any real place in D&D, outside of the "old married couple" sort of deal. It only really serves to draw attention to the two players in particular, and places another thing in the DM's lap for him to deal with.

It's one thing to say "Our characters are in a relationship and have been for a X time period." vs. having them act like they're in a relationship in-game. If John Smith goes out and plans an elaborate date for he and Jane Smith because it's their anniversary according to game time, congratulations, that's sucking time away from the other players where they could actually be doing something useful.
I whole-heartedly disagree. Romance births some of the best plot hooks ever.

Role-playing includes the whole life of the character, not just the "going out and killing monsters" part. If the character happens to fall in love, or start off that way, that's an integral part of that character's story, and can have in-game effects. Yes, it can draw time away from the other players, but it doesn't have to. So Jon Smith goes out and plans his date. At the end of that, cut the scene away to one of the other players. "What did you do while all this was going on?" Equal distribution of screen time doesn't mean that all of the characters are on-screen all of the time.
While in town, do the characters always go everywhere together? I doubt it.

Winter
2012-04-22, 07:04 AM
The campaign I play has it all. From romance to plain screwing, with PCs and NPCs. Important is not what happens, but that fits the character (and some characters do romantic relationship (one PC couple just broke up and they currently try to make it as "friends" in the group; speak about awkward tension) while others look for a new "adventure" everytime they enter town).

I think that's a grown up approach. We all play this campaign for nearly 10 years, we all are around (above and below) 30 and the plain truth is that romance and sex (even sex of the f***ing kind) are simply part of life and of interesting characters (this opens the explicit option NOT to do this or that kind of relationship) and as such, in a game among smart adults, those themes can (and imo should) also get used.

One of the PC-NPC-romances is also heavily interwoven with the main plot and the core for very interesting (character) problems.

All I can say is this: since we started doing "romance and sex" like 5 or 6 years ago, the game did get another interesting perspective to check out and it also includes an aspect of "life" that usually is somehow artificially excluded.

As for the OP: If you are a couple in RL I'd advice you not to do an ingame romance, at least not as first or only people in the group. I'd say it feels like you cannot get your characters separated from yourself and you, as a couple on the table and ingame, might even annoy other players.
If you do it, let others start it first. At least make sure everyone really (outgame) totally gets that the characters hook up because you think it's fun and decided to do it instead of just going on "hugging" with your characters.
Also, starting romance and excluding sex is a somewhat slippery slope. If two PCs do it, why not a PC and and NPC? And suddenly, you have introduced all those topics, no matter if you wanted that in the first place or not.

Shadowknight12
2012-04-22, 10:12 AM
And if you DO get hot and heavy with eachother, you can write it down and make a KILLING selling the book to teenaged girls.

I can actually vouch for this, from personal experience with the genre. The only problem is that in order to succeed, you have to bow to genre conventions that might be frankly infuriating.

EDIT:

Also this:

I whole-heartedly disagree. Romance births some of the best plot hooks ever.

Role-playing includes the while life of the character, not just the "going out and killing monsters" part. If the character happens to fall in love, or start off that way, that's an integral part of that character's story, and can have in-game effects. Yes, it can draw time away from the other players, but it doesn't have to. So Jon Smith goes out and plans his date. At the end of that, cut the scene away to one of the other players. "What did you do while all this was going on?" Equal distribution of screen time doesn't mean that all of the characters are on-screen all of the time.
While in town, do the characters always go everywhere together? I doubt it.

Completely true. Romance is a part of life and has every right to be at the roleplaying table along with things like violence, magic and challenges to overcome. If that squicks someone out, personally, that's fine. I, for example, get squicked out when it comes to things that are actually (apparently) very common in other tables, so we should all have our personal boundaries respected. That doesn't mean something has to be ALWAYS left outside the table for EVERYONE EVER.

Jay R
2012-04-22, 12:29 PM
Here (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/growfcomic.php?date=20070318) is an authoritative article about the topic, although it's a little dated, having been written in the late 1970s or early 1980s.

It's Phil Foglio's classic "Love and D&D" strip, in What's New with Phil and Dixie. It's a 2-page strip, by the way. You might also enjoy his "Sex and D&D" strip. I didn't have time to link to it, but if you go through the comics you should find it.

Sith_Happens
2012-04-23, 12:52 AM
If you're looking for stories about peoples' in-game romantic scenarios rather then the OOC advice that's made up most of this thread so far, then you can find a lot of good stuff here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239054). Particularly the second post.

Acanous
2012-04-23, 01:03 AM
my regular session, we all get a hoot out of conforming to or calling out as many tropes as possible (While still maintaining a serious storyline), so it's not as big of a deal.

Gavinfoxx
2012-04-23, 05:43 AM
So...

Let's have a serious look at this question here:

What monstrous or exotic race would actually make for an interesting romance, with meaningful roleplay options, WITHOUT squicking everyone who thinks of this, to the point that they couldn't take it seriously?

PersonMan
2012-04-23, 08:42 AM
So...

What monstrous or exotic race would actually make for an interesting romance, with meaningful roleplay options, WITHOUT squicking everyone who thinks of this, to the point that they couldn't take it seriously?

*Rereads OP*

...Huh? I honestly have no idea where you got this from. 'Romance in DnD, what are your experiences/what have you considered doing with it?' Is what I saw, not 'What exotic/monstrous races have you had in-game romances with?'

Jane_Smith
2012-04-23, 09:23 AM
As for the OP: If you are a couple in RL I'd advice you not to do an ingame romance, at least not as first or only people in the group. I'd say it feels like you cannot get your characters separated from yourself and you, as a couple on the table and ingame, might even annoy other players.

Ah, we got that covered. We are planning on playing the rise of the runelords campaign path. Ive read the first two parts of the series only (so dont spoil 3+), and my significant other has not read it at all. Im making a tian-human wizard, the lawful good younger sister of Ameiko Kaijitsu, who lives and works in her sisters tavern as a bookkeeper and cook. Hes playing a varisian-human barbarian (dervish/whirling frenzy), chaotic good, that works as a caravan guard who has returned home to his father, the hagfish taverns owner quinn to celebrate the festival and help out. So not only are they personality-wise complete opposites and have not met each other yet, but they are even business rivals. Expect plenty of arguments. :smallamused:

If you're looking for stories about peoples' in-game romantic scenarios rather then the OOC advice that's made up most of this thread so far, then you can find a lot of good stuff here. Particularly the second post.

That. Was adorable. And likely the most romantic/touching story ive EVER heard out of a dnd game. Pfft, whoever says romance does not have a place in rpg's clearly has not witnessed something like that. >_>

Well, I suppose if im asking others for there stories or others, i suppose I should tell one of my own, but its nothing as cute as the paladin/harpy bit. Years ago I was in a completely homebrew game, so the names of places/seas/etc are all a bit hazy after all this time. I played a young human artificer who was in serious trouble and needed to get out of town after her piling debts had her life threatened from a few loan sharks after her "garenteed money-making" plans backfired from failed experiments.

Having a sailor for a father, she knew the basics about life on the sea and decided the best course of action was to get on the first ship out of town. She joined a strange, exotic crew that was new in town that she felt confident did not have any connection with the people wanting her, and asked to join the crew when they were heading out in exchange. The captain of the ship was a half-golem swashbuckler, who acted like a complete moron and all-around jerk, especially to women, but she needed to gtfo so she bit her tongue.

She spent a few months on board the ship working as an enchanter. She discovered they were actually pirates. She didn't mind much, as they even built a laboratory for her on the lower decks and she was basically a fugitive anyway. She would disenchant magical loot they found to make customized enchantments and magic items based on the crew and captains wish's, or even to augment the very ship itself with defensive wards, etc.

However, as the plot/campaign moved on, some serious things went down. Villages burned, civilian ships were found razed and in nothing but debris on the sea from a large spanning war between nations. We needed supplies badly, after having visited 2 ports only to find them sacked completely. We found a small port village that was still burning, and we heard the attackers - that nations own soldiers were raiding villages. At the time, we had no idea wtf was going on, but this proved to be a major plot issue later on. That aside, the captain did something I could not expect. He ordered the ship's crew to defend the village. After a brutal and hard-won victory, we looked over the village's burnt ruins and looked for survivors.

Out of the wreckage, we found one. She was not the only survivor, as many had fled the village during the attack, but at the time we believed she was. A young girl, not even 10 years old, named Vei. I could not leave her there, by herself, with no food and unattended. So we took her with us to look after. Being the only woman on the ship myself, I became in a sense her foster-mother and made sure the crew kept in line. After the shock of this incident blew over, I finally had a chance to ask the captain why he decided to defend the village when i went to repair his arm after it received some damage.

He told me his story - when he was a child, his own village was sacked. He was old enough to hold a sword, which was why he was missing his left arm as the invaders struck him down. His entire reason for becoming a man of the seas was to hopefully find the pirates that killed his parents and many of his own homeland for justice, saying that the weight of iron on his shoulder was not the only thing he had to burden. Seeing him in a new light, our characters became closer, and he began to visit me in my lab regularly to check on me and Vei. It was not long until we got together. After the campaign was over, all three of us left the ship in the hands of his first mate (actually a aquatic elf) and stayed behind, as I discovered our twyst before the final battle we had had left me with child (It was not like, Oh, whoops, you guys slept together, your pregnant, either, as it was assumed my character basically moved into the captains quarters between sessions), so we decided it was best to try to raise our odd little family of four in a safer environment. Nothing all to fancy or adorable, but it was an amazing adventure.

Sadly i lost, and have never found the forum we played it on again. I thought it was rpgnet, but that is a rpg-news site, the forum we went to was a rpg-forum for actual games of any kind. More then likely even if i did find it, the game is deleted. : ( They had a nasty habit of cleaning games that went inactive for like 2-3 weeks.

lt_murgen
2012-04-23, 10:52 AM
Like any good Call of Cthulhu game... just when you think it can't get any worse...

*shudders* The horror!

Actually, in CoC, you find out that the female character was secretly killed and replaced with a shoggoth wearing her as a shell.

And the pregnancy, well....

On a serious note, the campaign I have been in has several romantic sub-plots through it. They are all given screen time, and actually drive the plot:

1) At one point, we were dispatched to rescue a Boyar and his family. Their carriage had broken down. Fended off a wolf attack. One of the young ladies fell in love with our ranger. SInce our group was "in" with the Queen, our rnager got dragged into court politics as he tried to satisfy the Boyar enough to allow the marriage.

2) Our Bard was a devotee of the goddess of love, and made it his mission to get the overworked catellan and the castle priest together. Both were very busy and had other committments that worked against their mutual attraction. For example, the priest at one point created an undead dragon to defend the castle. The castellan followed a religion that sought out and destroyed undead abominations at all costs.

3) Our fighter/favored soul and our Druid/mage were attracted to one another. But his culture was one of arranged marriage and she was raised by her full elf mother. Each time they advanced their relationship (first date, first kiss, etc) something bad seemed to happen shortly afterward- attacked by a mummy, bitten by a were-rat, trapped in an pit with an illusion of relentless desert, poisoned twice, and finally one of them was turned into a vampire. They had good reason to see their relationship as cursed.

Righteous Doggy
2012-04-23, 12:31 PM
Ahh, tis beautiful when you see love blossom in any story, I've got two stories.

1. So, I once played a paladin of tyranny seeking immortal, turned into a death knight by a lich and playing a villain in the campaign. Along the way he met a morgue rogue, who took to stalking him.(our dm was intent on turning it into a romance, I was... highly disturbed.) eventually she turned into a mummy after being killed in a pretty rough battle. So, despite my evil heart and spurning her advances; I decided this was wrong and stole from the lich, true ressurected her, and got into an epic fight with him that ended with me gone, ash and soul destroyed(I had 5 HD, he had 32 :smalleek:). I left a letter saying good luck with an elixir of love for her, but that character was deader than dead for showing some humanity...

2. I once played a librarian/witch, the campaign started with the whole city being destroyed. I was forced into the support/skill monkey role, and romanced the girl in the group and helped everyone off their feet after all the horrors we'd been delt. Alas, she could not love me, for she had... prosthetics, the horror! I told her I didn't care, I was being fed unholy knowledge by a feindish python coiled around my arm that only i could hear. We've all got issues! Sadly the game vanished from the face of the Earth before anything went further. She roleplayed quiet the Tsundere >.>.

Winter
2012-04-23, 12:33 PM
Ah, we got that covered. We are planning on playing the rise of the runelords campaign path. Ive read the first two parts of the series only (so dont spoil 3+), and my significant other has not read it at all. Im making a tian-human wizard, the lawful good younger sister of Ameiko Kaijitsu, who lives and works in her sisters tavern as a bookkeeper and cook. Hes playing a varisian-human barbarian (dervish/whirling frenzy), chaotic good, that works as a caravan guard who has returned home to his father, the hagfish taverns owner quinn to celebrate the festival and help out. So not only are they personality-wise complete opposites and have not met each other yet, but they are even business rivals. Expect plenty of arguments. :smallamused:.

Uhh... I was totally talking about OOC, you are talking about IC. What's done In Character is a rather different matter from what I was talking about. Make sure your IC actions do not OOC annoy others, make sure the others know (OOC) that this IC romance is not two players not being able to separate themselves and their relationship from their IC-personas.

Shadowknight12
2012-04-23, 01:41 PM
So...

Fey, Celestials, Fiends (a select few, like succubi, incubi, erinyes, half-fiends, tieflings), Outsiders (like Justicars), Giants, Orcs, Werecreatures (and other antropomorphic animals), Hobgoblins, Vampires, Ghosts, Medusae, Harpies, Merfolk, Dragon-Descended (Half-dragons, spellscales, dragonborn and the like), Centaurs, Minotaurs, Incarnate Constructs, Elemental Weirds and half-templates of everything I just mentioned.

I can personally vouch for the roleplaying opportunities of romances with all the creatures I have mentioned above. Yes, all of them.

Gavinfoxx
2012-04-23, 02:00 PM
I can personally vouch for the roleplaying opportunities of romances with all the creatures I have mentioned above. Yes, all of them.

...YOU MUST TELL US your stories!!

Dimers
2012-04-23, 02:19 PM
You might also enjoy his "Sex and D&D" strip. I didn't have time to link to it, but if you go through the comics you should find it.

I see what you did there.

Shadowknight12
2012-04-23, 02:20 PM
...YOU MUST TELL US your stories!!

Oh boy. I really do have a lot of them. Pick the monster(s) that most intrigue you and I'll tell you their romance(s). Most of the stories I have are largely about Fey and Celestials, we've probably had at least one example for every creature of those two types in all the monster books. The others are mostly anecdotal, like that time where I had a medusa and a harpy NPCs who bickered all the time like an old married couple and the party thought that was just delightful and brought them together via sit-com-like shenanigans or the time two players spontaneously decided that the werelion paladin and the antropomorphic tiger swordsage both wanted to woo the catgirl rogue NPC.

lady_arrogance
2012-04-24, 02:09 AM
I have noticed after years of playing RPG's that there is two ways how players/DM will think about romance. Young males/inexperienced players will think romance as something nasty and females/more experienced ones will take it like everything else in game. (I'm ofc making generalizations here, but there is some thruth in this.)

Anyway. I have played my first years with all-girl group, ages from 14 to 19, and there was romancing. A lot. Pc/pc and pc/npc, both. So I learned that romance was normal part of playing.

And then my girls moved to different towns and I found my second group, all males. Most of them were bit shocked as I brought romaning in to the gaming table, but DM saw there something, and encouraged us.

The romances I have played vary from just saying that "my character has wife at home, it was arranged marriage but both of them are happy together" to pc/pc romace, where I and my fellow player kinda slipped to playing romance without any intentions to do so - but it came one of whole group's "favorite" side-plots.

There can be a problem with "spotlight-hogging", but I see that good DM can balance it (like offering some personal side-plots to all players, or letting the "lovers" play their romance outside of official gaming time etc.)

Palegreenpants
2012-04-24, 06:48 PM
Well, I've got one story, and it can be summed up in this:

"Senri, you slept with the Thayan witch?!"

PhallicWarrior
2012-04-28, 03:05 PM
Most of my games trend away from romance due to my player base being overwhelmingly straight dudes. The few times I've run games with female players or gay guys have gotten interesting, though. In D&D, one of the aforementioned girls developed an attachment to what was originally a throwaway NPC and started an IC relationship with her. Given that I was DMing and had to RP that relationship, it was a bit awkward, but cute.

The NWoD game I'm playing in has relationships everywhere. My character is asexual who has mostly kept to himself, but the rest of the party has made up for it. We've had inter-PC romance, PC/NPC romance (the yaoi fangirls in the group squeed a lot.) and random hookups with pretty much everyone. Now, with the grand finale of the campaign looming, we're going to have to see just how committed Squirrel is to his asexuality, now that the same girl from the D&D game is making moves on him. (And she has the psychic power "Compelling Voice". Eeep.)

Fallbot
2012-04-28, 03:27 PM
So...

Well to quote myself from the thread Sith_Happens linked...

So my character fell pretty hard for the owner of the local item shop. It's slightly skeevy because she's his employer, but hey, he's too busy adventuring to actually work, so no biggie, right?

Oh, so she's twice his age? Well I guess that seems big now, but twenty years won't matter when they're a century down the line.

And...she's a changeling? Whose identities include several other NPCs around town? And one of these identities has adult children? Who are also changelings and share their mother's identities, including Item Shop Lady?

Dating in the D&Dverse is hard. And very confusing.

But I'm not sure if that fulfills the non-squicky clause.

PersonMan
2012-04-28, 04:16 PM
The NWoD game I'm playing in has relationships everywhere. My character is asexual who has mostly kept to himself, but the rest of the party has made up for it. We've had inter-PC romance, PC/NPC romance (the yaoi fangirls in the group squeed a lot.) and random hookups with pretty much everyone. Now, with the grand finale of the campaign looming, we're going to have to see just how committed Squirrel is to his asexuality, now that the same girl from the D&D game is making moves on him. (And she has the psychic power "Compelling Voice". Eeep.)

@Bolded: What? Either you're asexual, or celibate. Celibacy would make sense in this case, but asexual would be like saying 'we're going to have to see just how committed Squirrel is to his homosexuality' or something, which doesn't really make sense. How does one become committed to not being interested in sex?

Crow
2012-04-28, 05:34 PM
The only "romance" in our games have been arranged political marriages to consolidate power and similar affairs.

We did have a character repeatedly pimp out another character to a drow priestess. He didn't know about the pimping, and thought it was romance. Does that count?

Sith_Happens
2012-04-29, 01:21 AM
Well to quote myself from the thread Sith_Happens linked...

Speaking of which, you never answered my question from that thread:

Well obviously the important question here is, how many of Item Shop Lady can you score at once?:smallwink:

...And if the answer is greater than one, then does that count as an [x]-some?:smallwink:

We did have a character repeatedly pimp out another character to a drow priestess. He didn't know about the pimping, and thought it was romance. Does that count?

I'd say that counts as a wacky romantic comedy.:smallbiggrin:

Fallbot
2012-04-29, 05:18 AM
Oh sorry, I was going to answer and then completely forgot and by then the long enough that it seemed silly reviving reviving the thread for something so...yeah.

Anyway, in theory the answer is three, but I don't think my character's diplomacy is nearly high enough to convince his girlfriend's son that an incestuous foursome where they're all the same person is a good idea. Or her daughter. Or her. Or himself, come to that. :smalleek:

Edit: And this would be the first post of a new page :smallsigh:

Sith_Happens
2012-04-29, 06:09 AM
Oh sorry, I was going to answer and then completely forgot and by then the long enough that it seemed silly reviving reviving the thread for something so...yeah.

Anyway, in theory the answer is three, but I don't think my character's diplomacy is nearly high enough to convince his girlfriend's son that an incestuous foursome where they're all the same person is a good idea. Or her daughter. Or her. Or himself, come to that. :smalleek:

Edit: And this would be the first post of a new page :smallsigh:

It's not incestuous if they patiently wait their turn rather than attending to each other during the intervals that you aren't.:smalltongue::smallwink::smalleek:

...Okay, maybe it still is, but the above plan takes half the fun out of shapeshifting anyways.:wink::eek::eek:

Oh, and arranging the encounter doesn't necessarily require Diplomacy, or at least not much of it; a high Bluff and Sense Motive and decent Int will do nicely (and an Evil alignment might not hurt either). The plan is:
1. Woo Item Shop Lady frequently enough and in enough places to guarantee that some of those times are "accidentally" her kids instead. If you play it right, and especially if you actually get a thing going with the real Item Shop Lady (getting the daughter to fall for you too would also help), then the kids will probably feel the need to play along to maintain their covers.
2. At the same time, work out of way of telling with some reliability who you're really talking to at a given time.
3. Eventually, you separately invite each of the three "Item Shop Ladies" to meet you at the same place and time to do the deed, in a way that the fakes can't easily refuse (e.g.- for the two of them it might just be a "reminder" of the invite that was already accepted by the real Item Shop Lady).
4. Once they're all there and aware of the setup, by which time the four of you are preferably already undressed, you use the method of your choice to convince them to go through with it (this is the part where Diplomacy would help, or alternatively blackmail).

Of course, if you want to add a side of comedy to the whole affair and/or stay more in character (in the case that your character isn't a manipulative bastard with a premeditated desire to score with identical triplets), the above plan could also probably be executed through a combination of clever metagaming and enough (deliberately) failed Sense Motive checks on your part. As in, your character thinks he's only inviting one Item Shop Lady to spend the night with him, until to his surprise three show up (and he can't just turn two of them down, can he?)!:smallbiggrin:

...In case you're wondering, I came up with all of that on the spot, more or less instantaneously. I have no idea what that says about me.:smalleek:

Fallbot
2012-04-29, 06:52 AM
It's not incestuous if they patiently wait their turn rather than attending to each other during the intervals that you aren't.:smalltongue::smallwink::smalleek:

...Okay, maybe it still is, but the above plan takes half the fun out of shapeshifting anyways.:wink::eek::eek:

:eek:

...In case you're wondering, I came up with all of that on the spot, more or less instantaneously. I have no idea what that says about me.:smalleek:

...This is probably the first time I've been glad that my character has a charisma penalty and couldn't bluff his way out of a paper bag! Otherwise that is definitely...a thing that could be done...

Jane_Smith
2012-04-29, 07:25 AM
What evil has been wrought this day. What has been see cannot be un-seen. :smalleek: lol

TechnoScrabble
2012-04-29, 09:39 AM
I don't know if it's me or my DMs, but my characters in lasting campaigns always seem to find a love interest, whether PC or NPC.
The most recent one was my dwarf warblade/fighter/barbarian Boad Hoignar's son. He was getting pretty damn high level, and he had the leadership and dragon cohort feats. His cohort was a female bronze dragon. As usual with my cohorts, I A) had the DM play them because playing two people is confusing and B) Tried to keep them out of trouble because I never really use cohorts for combat anyways. I mean, they're loyal to my PC, why let them die?

Anyways, long story short, half-dragon dwarf babies are adorfable!

Winter
2012-04-29, 10:34 AM
As a sidenote, as some people mentioned it:

I draw my line at the plots "Unwanted Pregnancy" and "STD". Who really wants to play those? The game is supposed to be fun and especially the first ventures into territory where I do not want the game to be - at question as "Do you want to carry the child and change your life or do you want an abortion and go on?"
The psycological stuff around that is also something that does not belong into a game and has a too big impact on the character to actually be "plot" (it's the same with "forced sexuality" aka rape); some things simply do not belong into a game filling the free time.

VeliciaL
2012-04-29, 11:13 AM
Anyways, long story short, half-dragon dwarf babies are adorfable!

Did they have beards? For some reason, I'm picturing Dwarf babies as having cute little beards.

Hmmm... *scribbles for homebrew setting*

Sith_Happens
2012-04-29, 11:17 AM
...This is probably the first time I've been glad that my character has a charisma penalty and couldn't bluff his way out of a paper bag! Otherwise that is definitely...a thing that could be done...

What evil has been wrought this day. What has been see cannot be un-seen. :smalleek: lol

And on that note, I have a post to go write in the "Things I May No Longer Do While Playing" thread.:smallwink:

As for Fallbot specifically:
1. Your avatar goes perfectly with that response.
2. If you'll note, I pointed out a specific way in which that's still a thing that can be done. A much funnier, less evil, and probably more satisfying for everyone at the table* way.:smallbiggrin:

*On a related note, the plan itself may very well be more satisfying at a table, but you'd have to ask the Item Shop Ladies about that beforehand.:smallwink:

Fallbot
2012-04-29, 04:02 PM
And on that note, I have a post to go write in the "Things I May No Longer Do While Playing" thread.:smallwink:

As for Fallbot specifically:
1. Your avatar goes perfectly with that response.
2. If you'll note, I pointed out a specific way in which that's still a thing that can be done. A much funnier, less evil, and probably more satisfying for everyone at the table* way.:smallbiggrin:

*On a related note, the plan itself may very well be more satisfying at a table, but you'd have to ask the Item Shop Ladies about that beforehand.:smallwink:

Considering my avatar is the character in question, the expression is pretty appropriate.

My DM's response to this thread;

DM: d...does [your character] want to attempt this?
DM: Do I need to work out rules for "When is incest REALLY incest?"

You'll be disappointed to hear that I hastened to tell him he doesn't.

ideasmith
2012-04-29, 04:08 PM
Some rules for consequences of pregnancy here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230015)and here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216088).

Sith_Happens
2012-04-30, 12:37 AM
Considering my avatar is the character in question, the expression is pretty appropriate.

My DM's response to this thread;

DM: d...does [your character] want to attempt this?
DM: Do I need to work out rules for "When is incest REALLY incest?"

You'll be disappointed to hear that I hastened to tell him he doesn't.

...Stupid sissy drow. A real elf would be all over this.:smalltongue:

Oh, and it's nice to know that your DM got wind of my brilliant idea as well.:smallwink: I should probably subscribe to this thread just to preserve it as my first Forum Moment of Awesome.:smallbiggrin:

--------------[EDIT]---------------------

Some rules for consequences of pregnancy here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230015)and here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216088).

Interesting...

A creature with one or more levels in any PC class cannot become pregnant, get another pregnant, or their kindred’s equivalent, without magical assistance. Otherwise, characters get pregnant when the GM says so.

So bascially, being a PC is the BEST BIRTH CONTROL EVAR!!11!1!:smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

Also:

Ok, one thing that homebrew revolves around is the need, application or potential use for the 'Brew in question.

Now.

Please remind me.

Why anyone needs rules for a dude getting pregnant and having his wife, across the country and unaware of his giving birth, suddenly fall down from exhaustion and Filth Fever.

ideasmith
2012-04-30, 05:43 AM
Interesting...

Thank you.

So bascially, being a PC is the BEST BIRTH CONTROL EVAR!!11!1!:smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

Having a level in a PC class, which I was assuming all PCs would. I deemed it more playable than PCs getting pregnant at random or, worse, at GM whim.

If one is going to have rules for anything, including pregnancy, it is best to have it treat male and female characters the same way.

And the Strength and Dexterity penalties she was suffering from for the past 9 months should have been a glaring clue that she was becoming a parent. Or, at minimum, that she had better find out why she was suffering those penalties.

I will add that the stork call spells all require two willing targets. The wife can expected to know she agreed to.

Mixt
2012-04-30, 11:47 AM
Let's just put it this way.
Why slay the dragon when you can lay the dragon?

And so the epic quest to kill the evil black dragon instead ended with the party sorcerer getting laid, and the rest of the party either running for the hills screaming their heads off or dead.

Turns out letting the guy with a dragon fetish, high charisma, a Evil alignment and powerful magic come along on the quest to defeat the evil FEMALE dragon that's been terrorizing the countryside was not a good idea.

Trollolololol!

And to add salt to the wound, that Sorcerer later became a recurring villain, and he brought his new "Wife" with him.

Gavinfoxx
2012-04-30, 12:32 PM
Whats so weird about that? Dragons and humans mate in D&D all the time.

Generally, shapeshifting magic is involved first, but the rulebooks talk about it happening lots. lots of rules for humans with various amounts of dragon blood in them, all over the place...

Also, there are lots of ways to be infertile in the game.

First, there's Bestow Curse. Second, there's some herbs in Forgotten realms (either pgtf or frcs, I think) that make you infertile for a month.

Mixt
2012-04-30, 12:42 PM
I never said there was anything unusual about it.

Though the circumstances of their meeting, Sorcerer turning on his party members because he would rather sleep with the dragon than complete his quest and save the countryside is probably not quite as common.

If you want unusual, then there's the Hydra incident...which i shall not go into detail about.

Fallbot
2012-04-30, 04:49 PM
...Stupid sissy drow. A real elf would be all over this.:smalltongue:

Oh, and it's nice to know that your DM got wind of my brilliant idea as well.:smallwink: I should probably subscribe to this thread just to preserve it as my first Forum Moment of Awesome.:smallbiggrin:

Hey hey, let's not bring race into this, there's a whole other thread for that. And there's sissy and there's realising that when your girlfriend is at least four levels higher than you, has a daughter with an identity that has previously threatened to kill you and only didn't because another identity thinks you're cute, heads an organization of bounty hunters, makes poisons as a hobby, has access to some excellent places to hide a corpse where it would never be found, and could flawlessly impersonate you so that no one would ever even realise you were dead, it's best not to risk antagonizing her even for the chance of incredibly creepy sex.

I'm starting to think this maybe isn't a very healthy relationship...

TechnoScrabble
2012-04-30, 05:35 PM
Did they have beards? For some reason, I'm picturing Dwarf babies as having cute little beards.

Hmmm... *scribbles for homebrew setting*

Aye, the DM ruled them as having short, bristly beards and slightly metallic bronzed skin and bright, gleaming blue eyes and reddish brown hair. Also, tiny wings, and oversized clawed hands and feet. And horns.

Sutremaine
2012-04-30, 05:35 PM
I'd say that counts as a wacky romantic comedy.:smallbiggrin:
Dear god, I hope that was sarcasm.

Sith_Happens
2012-05-01, 04:04 AM
Hey hey, let's not bring race into this, there's a whole other thread for that. And there's sissy and there's realising that when your girlfriend is at least four levels higher than you, has a daughter with an identity that has previously threatened to kill you and only didn't because another identity thinks you're cute, heads an organization of bounty hunters, makes poisons as a hobby, has access to some excellent places to hide a corpse where it would never be found, and could flawlessly impersonate you so that no one would ever even realise you were dead, it's totally worth antagonizing her for the chance of incredibly creepy sex.

I'm starting to think this maybe isn't a very healthy relationship, but who cares?

Fixed that for you.:smalltongue: Although just to be on the safe side, the "get the daughter interested in you too" step of the plan is no longer optional.

Dear god, I hope that was sarcasm.

Assuming you're talking about the drow priestess thing... Nope. Obviously you haven't been keeping up with the kinds of premises that rom-coms have these days.:smallwink:

Also, I should start keeping a tally of how many people I creep out in this thread. Including Fallbot's DM, I believe I'm at four.

Winterfive
2020-06-22, 12:08 PM
So, in a campaign me and another player decided that our characters had pretty good chemistry and thought we'd see how it went with them yet maybe move them towards friendship then romance if it was fitting as the character's developed, yet both the character's are closely tied to the main plot, like one is the bbeg and the other is supposed to kill/talk down/whatever turns out happening (I know that now because I am the bbeg so my dm told me some stuff so I could adjust the character accordingly), do all of you think me and the other player should tell the dm or no?

Peelee
2020-06-22, 01:18 PM
The Mod on the Silver Mountain: I don't know if romance is dead, but this thread certainly is.