PDA

View Full Version : Divination Witch [PF]

Strormer
2012-04-22, 02:00 AM
Alright, this is my first time looking into the witch and I am wanting to use it for an NPC that the party is going to meet. Thematically the witch is exactly what I want with her hexes and whatnot, but I need her to be divination themed. Looking through the hexes I've seen the Witch doesn't seem to have much in the way of hardcore divination. Am I missing something or is there an archetype for such a situation that I'm not aware of? If not, I can probably brew something up a bit, but she's supposed to be a high level diviner and I'd like to do something other that yet another Wizard for the party to encounter.

Cieyrin
2012-04-22, 10:57 AM
The Dimensional Occultist archetype from the Pathfinder Society Field Guide may be what you're looking for, as it gives you powers to gain info from beings from other dimensions, including directly from your Patron via your familiar as the medium. Otherwise, the Beast Eye, Coven, Hag Eye, Speak in Dreams and Vision Hexes provide some divinitory powers and the Witch spell list has both the cleric and wizard classic divinitory spells, like Augury, Scrying, Divination, Legend Lore Arcane Eye, Prying Eyes, Discern Location, etc. You should have no problem making a Divination focused Witch with just what's in Core and the APG.

grarrrg
2012-04-22, 11:26 AM
Can't help much for Witch specifically, but there are 3 PrC's that may be worth a look.

Harrower (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/e-h/harrower). Harrow = Tarot
Has full casting progression, but, while flavored as a 'seer'-type, the class itself offers little in the way of Predict-o-mancy. Gains a free casting of Divination 1/day at level 6.

Loremaster (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/core-rulebook/loremaster), full casting progression, at 2nd level they gain 'Lore' which is identical to Bardic Knowledge (1/2 level towards Knowledge skills). At 10th level can cast Legend Lore OR Analyze Dweomer 1/day.

Pathfinder Savant (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/n-r/pathfinder-savant), no casting at 1st level, full otherwise. 1st level gains a bonus (1/2 level), and can always Take 10 on Knowledge (Arcana), Use Magic Device, and Spellcraft checks. 2nd level an onwards gains access to other class's spells (1 spell per class level, is treated as 1 level higher).

Arbane
2012-04-22, 12:18 PM
Also, some of the Improved Familiar choices for a witch can give Commune 1/week.

Strormer
2012-04-22, 01:07 PM
Actually, Harrower looks exactly like what I wanted. Thanks!

NamelessNPC
2012-04-25, 01:14 AM
...Or you could just add divination spells to your familiar and cast them

Keneth
2012-04-25, 06:24 AM
You can only add witch spells to your familiar and those granted by the chosen patron.

Cieyrin
2012-04-25, 01:27 PM

You can only add witch spells to your familiar and those granted by the chosen patron.

As I already said, the Witch already has adequate amounts of divination spells on their list from both the Wizard and Cleric list, so there is no problem on that front. A mix of Witch, Loremaster and Harrower is a fine basis for a Diviner type Witch. There isn't really a good patron for divining, though, so you have free reign on that front for what you want.