PDA

View Full Version : Paladin of Tyranny

Reltzs
2012-04-22, 02:23 AM
hey guys, so i'm playing a paladin of tyranny in 3.5 Edition and was looking for a decent prestige class to go with it. full plate great sword based melee fighter.
18 STR 12 DEX 18 CON 16 INT/WIS 18 CHA and 82 HP at 8th level

My feats are: weapon prof/focus great sword and power attack (I am human)

i was thinking of going black guard at 10th level (as i am 8th level at the moment) for all of the bonus features for having the 9 levels of paladin without trading in levels.

deuxhero
2012-04-22, 10:45 AM
There's the old classic of pairing it with Blackguard 4 and Hexblade (Dark Companion) 4.

You get Charisma to saves twice (3 times for spells), people get -6 saves just for being near you, poison use, and a companion you can dump Hidden Talent: Psionic Minor Creation on for free Black Lotus Extract.

Depending on how optimized you want to get, you can take Blackguard further to qualify for Entropmancer, and use it force the people who somehow made a save at -6 penalty to reroll and some other stuff (that build won the first GitP Iron Chef).

gallagher
2012-04-22, 12:22 PM
hopefully you have some skill points that you can throw around for the next two levels, or already put some in the right places, because bone knight is awesome for what you are doing. improve your mount, keeps getting a couple spells, more class features, more immunities, and the suchlike

Andezzar
2012-04-22, 02:51 PM
There's the old classic of pairing it with Blackguard 4 and Hexblade (Dark Companion) 4.

You get Charisma to saves twice (3 times for spells), people get -6 saves just for being near you, poison use, and a companion you can dump Hidden Talent: Psionic Minor Creation on for free Black Lotus Extract.Am I missing something here? Blackguard gets CHA to saves and Hexblade gets it for saves against spells. Where does the second bonus against all effects come from?

eggs
2012-04-22, 03:35 PM
You're missing the Paladin of Tyranny.

(And yeah, the Dark Blessing+Dark Blessing stacking might be a bit sketchy. But it's neat enough that it's often allowed to fly.)

skycycle blues
2012-04-22, 03:47 PM
You're missing the Paladin of Tyranny.

(And yeah, the Dark Blessing+Dark Blessing stacking might be a bit sketchy. But it's neat enough that it's often allowed to fly.)

It's Divine Grace+Dark Blessing. Not that sketchy. But one should always consult with the DM before assuming going from an Evil Paladin variant into Blackguard will be allowed (and if so, if the evil Paladin levels will grant bonuses).

eggs
2012-04-22, 03:52 PM
It's Divine Grace+Dark Blessing. Not that sketchy. But one should always consult with the DM before assuming going from an Evil Paladin variant into Blackguard will be allowed (and if so, if the evil Paladin levels will grant bonuses) before trying to take levels in the class.
Oh, you're right. That's solid.

I was thinking of the Auras of Despair, which are something totally different.

Rejusu
2012-04-23, 07:38 AM
Bone Knight is always a solid choice. But you might not meet the skill requirements for it. It's 6 ranks of ride, 6 of Craft (Armour smithing), and 4 of Knowledge (Religion). You basically get to retain most of your Paladin abilities (you lose smite, detect good, and cause disease but frankly it's not much of a loss), swap your special mount out for a skeletal steed, and gain fancy armour that gives you damage reduction and later on gives you a good chunk of undead immunities (without actually turning you undead). It's also 9/10 casting and makes for a good undead controller.

However since you're already level 8 I'm not sure about recommending it. If you start taking it from next level then your immunities will come online about level 16 which is reasonable but not amazing. If you need to spend a level or two meeting the skill requirements of it then you won't get them until 17 or 18. Also it's only 3/4 BAB so it might not be great if you want to focus on melee. Ideally if you were to take BK as a Paladin you should have taken it from 5 onwards (minimum level you can meet the requirements).

Also did you not list some of your feats? You've only listed three, but as an 8th level human Paladin you should have four (two at first, one at third and one at sixth) at the very least. You've listed weapon proficiency too, is this a mistake? As a Paladin you're proficient with all martial weapons by default. There's no need to take a feat for it.

Pious Templar is also a good choice, it's also very easy to get into. Plus one of the requirements is Weapon Focus which you already have. It does say with your deities favoured weapon, but that's just a matter of finding an evil deity with the great sword as their favoured weapon. Or fluffing one up.

Gwendol
2012-04-23, 07:44 AM
Ordained champion? Different flavour, but still distinctly martial, and you get to channel spells.

Stabbald
2012-04-23, 07:53 AM
18 STR 12 DEX 18 CON 16 INT/WIS 18 CHA and 82 HP at 8th level

Sounds legit. :smallconfused:

My feats are: weapon prof/focus great sword and power attack (I am human)

A human with two feats at level 8?

Reltzs
2012-04-29, 06:19 AM
yea i forgot i have quick draw. i wasn't looking at my character sheet when i posted this. i'm thinking about just sticking with paladin since we are planning on going epic and i'm gonna go for the divine emissary and getting epic paladin spells (if possible) i'm also going for role-playing aspect as well. and divine emissary works VERY well with the RP bits.

Rejusu
2012-04-29, 11:13 AM
You're still missing a feat unless you've actually taken weapon proficiency. Which you really don't need to have taken.