PDA

View Full Version : Shameful Epiphany

Cikomyr
2012-04-22, 10:27 AM
Ever had that moment when you realized a pun that has been staring in your face for years, and you never picked it up?

And that you feel ashamed to never have realized it?

Okay, I'll go...

I just realized the pun on Mario's cousin's name: Wario. As in, "Warrior".

I never picked it up until now :smallfrown:

Extenuating circumstances: I only spoke french when I first saw that character's name, and I learned english after. I never got around making the association.

(and something totally unrelated, why does my firefox capitalize English but not french?)

Yora
2012-04-22, 10:32 AM
It is a pun, but you got it wrong:
The actual pun is on "warui", the Japanese word for bad or evil.

It took me very long to get the title of a German language album "High Mud Leader", which is a pun on Heimatlieder or Folk Songs. Also, the bands guitarist is nammed "Buzz-D", which is just a fancy spelling of "Basti", a common short form for his name Sebastian.

Rawhide
2012-04-22, 10:36 AM
You turn the M in Mario upside down to a W. Waluigi even uses an upside down L as his symbol.

Mikhailangelo
2012-04-22, 10:40 AM
I live in Kelvinbridge, in Glasgow. There is a wine shop just next to the bridge itself called 'Quel Vin'.

It took me seven months of living in my present flat to notice. Ashamed does not begin to cover it.

Cikomyr
2012-04-22, 10:42 AM
You turn the M in Mario upside down to a W. Waluigi even uses an upside down L as his symbol.

I got that part. I genuinely thought there was nothing more to it, until I saw "JewWario" and it clicked in my mind

Yora
2012-04-22, 12:28 PM
Wait, is there a pun in JewWario as well?

Cikomyr
2012-04-22, 01:02 PM
Wait, is there a pun in JewWario as well?

The Jew Warrior?

Whiffet
2012-04-22, 01:12 PM
Well, I have a Nintendo one. I think many people share it, in fact. That time I realized Ekans was "snake" backwards, and the similar situation for Arbok.

And please don't continue with the joke about Muk. I'm sick and tired of it. :smallmad: It's not funny anymore.

Rawhide
2012-04-22, 01:16 PM
Just about every Pokemon is a pun of some sort.

Whiffet
2012-04-22, 01:21 PM

Well, yeah, but a good many of them are immediately obvious. Ekans took me years. :smallbiggrin:

Cikomyr
2012-04-22, 02:15 PM

Pikachu? (i need more characters)

LaZodiac
2012-04-22, 02:32 PM
Pikachu? (i need more characters)

Pika is the onamotapea of electricity, while chu is mouse in japanese, or something along those lines. So literally, Pikachu means "electrical mouse"

Reluctance
2012-04-22, 02:37 PM
That's less of a pun, though, and more of a description. A device that lets you see things from a long distance is a television. Calling that a pun is ... :smallconfused:

Blue Ghost
2012-04-22, 02:40 PM
There is also an animal called the pika, which may or may not have anything to do with Pikachu.

It took me nine years to realize that Slowpoke was a pun on Pokemon. How fitting. :smalltongue:

Aedilred
2012-04-22, 05:49 PM
Old-school Warhammer is full of these (they've tailed off in recent years); most of them had to be pointed out to me at some point. As well as the various references to contemporary political figures, and the collection of towns written in by disgruntled game designers (Naffdorf, Braundorf, Hackdorf, etc.) the classic is probably the absentee landlord from Death on the Reik, Graf von Saponatheim. I didn't think anything of it until I came to read it aloud.

Calamity
2012-04-22, 09:08 PM
It took me many many years to figure out the pun behind Miles "Tails" Prower. It didn't help that I rarely thought about what his name would be if the nickname wasn't included for most of those years.

I doubt I will ever live it down.

Riverdance
2012-04-23, 12:46 PM
There is also an animal called the pika, which may or may not have anything to do with Pikachu.

It took me nine years to realize that Slowpoke was a pun on Pokemon. How fitting. :smalltongue:

Really? I'm pretty sure the term "slowpoke" has been around longer than pokemon :smallconfused: "pokey" can mean slow too.

Riverdance
2012-04-23, 12:48 PM

Really? I'm pretty sure the term "slowpoke" has been around longer than pokemon :smallconfused: "pokey" can mean slow too.

Blue Ghost
2012-04-23, 02:22 PM

Yes, I knew that. That's why it's a pun, a double meaning.

Heliomance
2012-04-25, 05:47 AM
It took me many many years to figure out the pun behind Miles "Tails" Prower. It didn't help that I rarely thought about what his name would be if the nickname wasn't included for most of those years.

I doubt I will ever live it down.

...I only just got that.