PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Domains Question

Vattic
2012-04-22, 10:46 AM
Is there any easy way to add domains to a character in pathfinder? Whether it's a Cleric, Oracle or an Inquisitor? I remember previous editions had a feat that allowed you to pick an extra domain, but I haven't been able to scour every available rule book for Pathfinder yet to see if there is an equivalent.

Thanks for your help guys!

grarrrg
2012-04-22, 11:13 AM
Is there any easy way to add domains to a character in pathfinder? Whether it's a Cleric, Oracle or an Inquisitor? I remember previous editions had a feat that allowed you to pick an extra domain, but I haven't been able to scour every available rule book for Pathfinder yet to see if there is an equivalent.

Thanks for your help guys!

There are no ways to add Domains in PF.
Cleric gets 2, many of the Archetypes only get ONE Domain, and the Cloistered Cleric archetype, unlike in 3.5, also only gets ONE Domain.

Inquisitor can get 1, BUT if you also have levels in Cleric, it MUST match one of your Cleric Domains.

Druid can get 1, but loses their Animal Companion, butbut, they can take the Animal Domain and get an Animal Companion at level -3.

Vattic
2012-04-22, 11:18 AM
what do you mean that it must match? what's the benefit in dipping inquisitor for an extra domain if it has to be one that i already have?

hmm. could you start as an inquisitor with, say, the liberation domain, then switch to cleric and pick up exploration and luck?

Thefurmonger
2012-04-22, 11:37 AM
what do you mean that it must match? what's the benefit in dipping inquisitor for an extra domain if it has to be one that i already have?

hmm. could you start as an inquisitor with, say, the liberation domain, then switch to cleric and pick up exploration and luck?

There is no point, THATS the point.

Pathfinder did everything it could to disuade you from dips.

You can get a third from a dip in druid, but from a smaller list.

Most of the time its not worth it.

Starbuck_II
2012-04-22, 11:38 AM

No, they purposely limited it: "If the inquisitor has cleric levels, one of her two domain selections must be the same domain selected as an inquisitor."

Only Dipping Druid works.

grarrrg
2012-04-22, 11:51 AM
Missed one, Sacred Servant (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin/archetypes/paizo---paladin-archetypes/sacred-servant) Paladin gets a Domain at 4th level (counts as level -3 for abilities).

Inquisitor also does NOT get the Bonus spells, just the abilities.

And usually Domains aren't worth 'dipping' in most cases, so why do you need/want many Domains for?

Vattic
2012-04-22, 12:03 PM
well, i like the class abilities of the inquisitor, but feel really limited by only having one domain.

i don't really want to go full cleric, but the extra domains provide fun and useful (not optimized) support for the type of character that i have in mind.

a chaotic or neutral good gnome who worships the twin ideals of freedom from oppression and unrestricted travel/adventure. i can see luck and travel as well as liberation being really important core concepts for such a character. i was just wondering if it were possible to squeeze them all in without having to resort to dm bargaining and houseruling. it's not like having 3 domain powers is that op anyway.

a martially focused agent of liberty and luck, essentially.

Shadowknight12
2012-04-22, 12:20 PM
Some PF DMs allow stuff from 3.5e, so if yours is so inclined, you can take levels in the Contemplative PrC (from Complete Divine), which adds several domains to your repertoire. It's also a full-casting PrC that will somewhat weaken the martial aspects of the Inquisitor, though.

grarrrg
2012-04-22, 12:46 PM
well, i like the class abilities of the inquisitor, but feel really limited by only having one domain.

i don't really want to go full cleric, but the extra domains provide fun and useful (not optimized) support for the type of character that i have in mind.

Hmm... Chaotic Good, Luck, Liberation, Travel....
Desna by any chance?
She has her own PrC (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/s-z/spherewalker).

Take Travel as your Cleric only Domain.
Travel's main benefit is the +10ft. movement, and it doesn't care what level, and the 1st level power is dependent on WIS and doesn't care what level you are.
Take Liberation as your Cleric/Inquisitor Domain.
Liberation scales with level and will generally be more useful than Luck, and both abilities are freak'n sweet.

Luck is a poor choice because the 1st level ability requires a Standard action, leaving it in the realm of 'non-combat'.
And the 6th level power is horribly limited, it can only be used 1/day at 6th level, a max of 3/day at 18th!

And if your CHA is decent, you may want to snag the Channeling Scourge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/channeling-scourge) feat at some point.

Vattic
2012-04-22, 12:56 PM
Take Travel as your Cleric only Domain.
Travel's main benefit is the +10ft. movement, and it doesn't care what level, and the 1st level power is dependent on WIS and doesn't care what level you are.
Take Liberation as your Cleric/Inquisitor Domain.
Liberation scales with level and will generally be more useful than Luck, and both abilities are freak'n sweet.

that sounds doable. cleric, multiclassing into inquisitor. do you have any build suggestions? weapon or fighting style suggestions?

grarrrg
2012-04-22, 01:16 PM
that sounds doable. cleric, multiclassing into inquisitor. do you have any build suggestions? weapon or fighting style suggestions?

Cleric 1/Inquisitor X
Cleric Archetypes are VERY limited, as you'd need one that keeps both Domains. And 1 level of Cleric is all you need.
Inquisitor is wide open as far as Archetypes are concerned.

Depending on your Diety, you may want to look into the Guided Hand (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/-guided-hand) feat, which lets you use WIS for attack rolls (instead of Str/Dex).

Or _IF_ it is allowed, the Guided (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapons-non-core/weapon-property---guided) Weapon Property.
There is a whole argument about weather it should be allowed or not.
I shall not go into details.
Check with your DM.