PDA

View Full Version : Kithkin (3.5 Race)

Narciso Bizarro
2012-04-22, 12:35 PM
Today I bring you a race inspired in these creatures of Lorwyn, from the M:TG set. For a little more information, take a look of:
http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/feature/422

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/db2

http://magiccards.info/query?q=t%3A%22kithkin%22+%28e%3Amt%2Fen+or+e%3Alw %2Fen%29&v=card&s=cname

Kithkin

http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/cardart/LRW/Hurly-Burly_640.jpg
Art by Steve Prescott

The kithkin are a race of peaceful farmers with a strong sense of community and union. They live simple and tranquil lifes at their clachans, where they friendly welcome travelers and merchants. But when attacked, or their village’s safety is disturbed, they become fierce warriors, very effective and organized in combat.

Personality
They are a simple and spontaneous race, hardworking and dedicated to tasks like farming and herding. They’re incredibly handy crafting any kind of things, with materials like wood, leather or metal. Their industry is rustic, but always growing and innovating, with a little touch of alchemy in the mix. They love dancing, music and storytelling, and there is always a excuse for celebration. Inclined to superstition, their culture is full with little rituals, charms and ways to avoid ill luck.

Physical description
Could say they’re similar to halflings, but a bit higher, plump and stout, with thick limbs. They are about 4 – 4 ½ feet tall. They have round, big faces, highly expressive, with little eyes (commonly dark). Unlike halflings, males kithkin grow beard, but at advanced age and never like a dwarf. The tonality skin ranges from fair to coppery, with hair usually light or dark brown (reddish an dark blonde are common too).

http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/mtgcom/fcpics/features/423_KithkinConcepts_thumb.jpg

Relations
For a kithkin, village stands first, and the safety of their kind. They’re highly communitarian, worrying about community well-being. Besides, this attitude is reinforced by an empathic bond that connects all kithkin, the thoughtweft. This gives them the ability to cooperate like no other species: it’s said that when you pick a fight with a kithkin, you’re choosing to fight them all. It doesn’t mean they’re apart from other races. On the contrary, they’re openly received, and festivals and celebrations are usual, where anyone with good spirit is welcomed.

Alignment
Good alignment is the most common for kithkin, given their attitude of caring and worrying for others. Part of their population is also legal, respectful of tradition and adapted to kithkin life-style, which means “community”. Of course, exceptions are normal and there are many kithkin that travel away from home, looking for adventures.

Lands of the kithkin
They live in villages known as clachans, usually located in grassy meadows, or near to forests. A typical clachan consists of several houses and others wooden buildings, protected by a palisade, and rounded by cultivated lands and pastures, where springjacks feed. Springjacks are domestic beasts, a bit like a cross between a shaggy sheep and a jackrabbit, base of kithkin herding and used for milk, fur and mutton, as well for riding by clachan’s defenders. Each clachan has its cenn, a town leader similar to a mayor, who guides and organizes the village; usually is one of the oldest and wisest kihkin. Also, a clachan usually has a Hero: a kithkin of grand valor and courage with the mission of protect the village of every threat.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/cardart/MOR/Rustic_Clachan.jpg
Art by Fred Fields

Religion
They use to revere the same gods that halflings, or gods with community, protection and family in their portfolio. Clachan’s clerics are not a rare sight, principally in charge of treatment the preparation of all kinds of salves and medicines. They do not discard gods of courage and battle, especially militia members who defend the village.

Languages
They have their own language, related to the Halfling language, but usually speak Common, with foreigners and between them. They learn elven, and gnome to communicate with neighbors.

Names
Kithkin’s names consists in a name and a surname, both which vary widely in each clachan. It is usual that a kithkin travelling far from home say the name of his/her clachan in place of surname.
Male names: Gaddock, Deagan, Doyo, Jack, Lann, Calydd, Abral, Wynnarat, Donal.
Female names: Brigid, Olka, Molla, Keeley, Daranna.
Surnames: Teeg, Alloway, Baeli, Chierdagh, Welk, Gwal.
Clachan names: Kinsbaile, Burrenton, Goldmeadow, Ballyrush, Cloverdell, Dundoolin.

RACIAL TRAITS
• -2 Str, +2 Con: they’re well built, but with musculature more prepared to make them resistant than for strength exploits.
• Type: Humanoid (halfling).
• Small: As Small creatures, elves kithkin gain a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but they use smaller weapons than humans use, and their lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
• Space/Reach: 5’/5’.
• Base speed: 20’
• Thoughtweft (Su): Kithkin share an emphatic bond that connects them and reinforce its community. That doesn’t mean permanent telepathic communication nor a hive-mind; a particular kithkin can “hide” his thoughts of the thoughtweft, but it’s unusual. In game terms, they can feel predominant emotions and surface thoughts of any willing kithkin in 20 miles. Whenever aiding another kithkin with a skill check, gives an additional +2 bonus. In addition, they can aid another kithkin in a task that doesn’t allow aiding (Search for traps, Disable device, Survival, etc.), but only gives the normal +2 bonus.
• They’re a handy and innovating race, very skilled in tasks that they dedicate to: Kithkin get 4 extra skill points at 1st level and 1 extra skill point at each additional level. These extra points can only be used for: Craft (any), Handle animal, Knowledge (Architecture and engineering), Perform (any), Profession (any), Ride (springjack).
• +2 racial bonus on Diplomacy and Heal checks.
• +1 racial bonus to all saving throws: Amulets and little rituals against bad luck are fill kithkin tradition and culture.
• Automatic languages: Common, halfling. Bonus: elven, gnome, sylvan.
• Favored class: Scout.
• LA: +0.

EDIT: Shrinked to Small size. Corrected some... language oddities.

Narciso Bizarro
2012-04-22, 12:37 PM
COMING SOON (I hope):

Clachan's Hero
Powder mage
Springjack

Narciso Bizarro
2012-04-22, 08:44 PM
mmm... PEACH?http://www.galeon.com/eventos33/images/durazno.gif

Debihuman
2012-04-22, 10:28 PM
After reading a bit more about them, it seems that they should be Small and not Medium sized.

Specifically, in racial traits you say:

• Type: Humanoid (halfling).

However, halflings are Small.

Small: As a Small creature, a halfling gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.

You should probably remove all references to kithkin being like elves.

You might want to proofread and edit your text too.

Debby

Dsurion
2012-04-23, 12:27 AM
The kithkin are a race of paceful farmers with a strong sense of community and union. They live simple and tranquil lifes at their clachans, where they friendly welcome travelers and merchants. But when attacked, or their village’s safety is disturbed, they become fierce warriors, very effective and organized in combat.

Could say they’re similar to halfings, but a bit higher, plump and stout, with thick limbs. They are about 4 – 4 ½ feet tall. They have round, big faces, highly expressive, with little eyes (commonly dark). Not like halfings, males kithkin grow beard, but at advanced age and never like a dwarf. Their skin range from fair to coppery, with hair usually light or dark brown (reddish an dark blonde are common too).

They have an own language, related to the Halfling language, but usually speak Common, with foreigners and between them. They use to learn elven, and gnome to communicate with neighbors.

I tried to highlight some editing errors for you.

• Medium size: As Medium creatures, elves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.I'm sure Elves are, in fact, Medium sized, but maybe kithkin ought to be Small sized :smallwink:

• Thoughtweft (Su): Kithkin share an emphatic bond that connects them and reinforce its community. That doesn’t mean permanent telepathic communication nor a hive-mind; a particular kithkin can “hide” his thoughts of the thoughtweft, but it’s unusual. In game terms, they can feel predominant emotions and surface thoughts of any willing kithkin in 20 miles. Whenever aiding another kithkin with a skill check, gives an additional +2 bonus. In addition, can aid another kithkin in a task that doesn’t allow aiding (Search for tramps, Disable device, Survival, etc.), but only gives the normal +2 bonus.Cool translation of this ability into D&D! However...

In addition, can aid another kithkin in a task that doesn’t allow aiding (Search for tramps, Disable device, Survival, etc.), but only gives the normal +2 bonus.Hilarity ensues :smallbiggrin:

COMING SOON (I hope):

Clachan's Hero
Powder mage
SpringjackRaces of the Wild has the Brixashulty, which is functionally the same thing, if you're looking to save yourself some work.

Debihuman
2012-04-23, 04:42 AM
A springjack is a 4-legged creature. It's rear legs are like that of a rabbits and the rest of the animal looks like a goat.

The kithkin rely on the springjack, a creature that has characteristics of goats, sheep, and rabbits. The springjack's wool is useful, its milk and meat is nourishing, and its gait is speedy. It's the perfect all-around beast of burden for Lorwyn's kithkin.

A picture on WotC's site clearly shows the front goat legs and the rear rabbit legs.

Would you mind if I statted these out?

Here is the updated version of the Springjack.

Springjack
Medium Animal
Hit Dice: 3d8 +6 (19 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 40 ft.
Armor Class: 15 (+1 Dex, +4 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 14
BAB/Grapple: +2/+4
Attack: Gore +4 melee (1d6+3)
Full Attack: Bite +2 melee (1d3+1) and 2 hooves +2 melee (1d4+1) or Gore +4 melee (1d6+3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Pounce, Powerful Charge (2d6+4), Rake (1d6+3)
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, stability
Saves: Fort + 5, Ref +4 , Will +1
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 2, Wis 11, Cha 5
Skills: Jump +12
Feats: Multiattack, Run
Environment: Any land
Organization: Solitary or herd (5-12)
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: None
Alignment: Neutral
Advancement: 4-5 (Medium)
Level Adjustments: —

A springjack has characteristics of goats, sheep, and rabbits. A springjack’s wool is so thick it provides the creature with added protection. Its front legs are like that of a goat. Its rear legs resemble that of a rabbit, providing it with extra stability and enabling the springjack to make pounce and rake attacks. Two goat-like horns sprout from the springjack’s head and are used in combat as well. A springjack's primary attack is its gore. It can also make an attack with its bite and hooves, but those are always secondary attacks.

Despite their fierce attacks, springjacks are rarely aggressive. They are easily domesticated and trainable. Their milk resembles goat’s milk and can be made into a pungent cheese highly prized by the kithkin.

Springjacks are loyal mounts and as easy to train for combat as horses. A springjack can only hold one Medium sized or smaller rider and the rider must be using a saddle to ride one. Anyone not using a saddle is subject to a -5 Ride check penalty.

A typical springjack stands 5 feet tall at the shoulder.

Carrying Capacity

A light load for a springjack is up to 100 pounds; a medium load, 101-200 pounds; and a heavy load, 201-300 pounds. A springjack can drag 1,500 pounds.

COMBAT

While normally a passive pastoral animal, a springjack can literally spring into action if threatened. A springjack can fight while carrying a rider, but the rider cannot also attack unless he or she succeeds on a Ride check.

Powerful Charge (Ex): When charging, a springjack moves at twice its normal speed and attacks with a +2 bonus. If it attacks with it gore when charging, it does 2d6+3 points of damage.

Pounce (Ex): If springjack charges a foe, it can make a full attack, including two rake attacks. A rider must make a Ride check (DC 15) to remain seated while the springjack is pouncing.

Rake (Ex): A springjack that pounces onto a creature can make two rake attacks with its hind legs at +2 melee and doing 1d6+1 points of damage. A rider must make a Ride check (DC 10) to remain seated during a rake attack.

Stability (Ex): A springjack gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground.

Note: I put all of the springjacks 6 skill ranks into Jump; it has a +4 jump bonus due to speed and +2 from its dexterity modifier. I updated this creature so that it has both bite and hooves and a gore attack rather than a headbutt. The gore attack is the primary attack since it is usually charging. Its Powerful Charge uses double its strength bonus and Rake uses one and one-half its strength bonus. Updated the combat section to reflect the rider in combat and made sure it could carry a Medium sized rider. Added low-light vision too.

Debby

Narciso Bizarro
2012-04-23, 08:25 AM
After reading a bit more about them, it seems that they should be Small and not Medium sized.

I'm sure Elves are, in fact, Medium sized, but maybe kithkin ought to be Small sized :smallwink:

Upss.. bad, bad copying/pasting :smalltongue: Yes, I started with kithkin as Small, but it's specifically stated that they're 4-4 1/2 ft tall (just like dwarves), plus their solid built... so, I decided Medium size. A kind of oversized halflings.

I tried to highlight some editing errors for you.

Hilarity ensues :smallbiggrin:

Sorry about that. Spanish to English is a spell i haven't mastered yet. I hope a few more homebrewings help me improve this :smallsmile:

Would you mind if I statted these out?

Debby

Please, be my guest! and thanks you two for the feedback

Debihuman
2012-04-23, 09:48 AM
Uh-oh, when I wrote up the springjack, I limited it to riders of Small size or Smaller figuring that the kithkin would be Small. I can change that, BUT I think there are more sources state that kithkin should be Small rather than Medium sized.

Here is a quote from http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OurDwarvesAreAllTheSame

[T]he kithkin in Lorwyn were portrayed as sort of a cross between hobbits (which is what they were originally intended to be called) and dwarves, combining the Little Folk's general smallness and pastoral living with the Stout Folk's tenacity and well-organized communal defense; the kithkin become even more dwarflike in Shadowmoor, where they have abandoned their country villages for heavily fortified castles and become rabidly xenophobic.

Of course, they couldn't be called hobbits because the Tolkien estate has that as Intellectual Property. However, they remind me of 2nd edition halflings, which were plumper and had hairy feet. Kithkin don't have hairy feet but they are stockier than halfliings.

Dwarves are 4 feet tall. That is the maximum height for Small creatures and the minimum height for Medium creatures. I don't think the kithkin should be taller than dwarves in any case. They are like a dwarf-halfling hybrid and that would make them Small.

Don't worry about your spelling; we can help with that if you want. My Inglés a Español spell is even worse.

Debby

Narciso Bizarro
2012-04-23, 04:45 PM
Dwarves are 4 feet tall. That is the maximum height for Small creatures and the minimum height for Medium creatures. I don't think the kithkin should be taller than dwarves in any case. They are like a dwarf-halfling hybrid and that would make them Small.

No, they shouldn't be taller than dwarves, I suppose. And this dwarf-halfing idea is a good argument for shrinking them to Small size. They will ride sprinjacks with no problem :smallbiggrin:

Don't worry about your spelling; we can help with that if you want. My Inglés a Español spell is even worse.

I'll REALLY appreciate that :smallsmile: How can i fix this?
They have an own language, related to the Halfling language, but usually speak Common, with foreigners and between them. They use to learn elven, and gnome to communicate with neighbors.

Reluctance
2012-04-23, 05:38 PM
My first reaction is that it sounds too much like the 2e halfling. If you have a race of homebodies, you might get the occasional Frodo or Bilbo, but for the most part you'll have a boring race. This really sounds like a halfling reskin that doesn't need much in the way of new mechanics.

Debihuman
2012-05-04, 06:52 AM
No, they shouldn't be taller than dwarves, I suppose. And this dwarf-halfing idea is a good argument for shrinking them to Small size. They will ride sprinjacks with no problem :smallbiggrin:

Glad you liked the springjack.

How can i fix this?:

Here's a fix for you: While Kithkin have their own language (related to Halfling), they usually speak Common among themselves and to foreigners. They sometimes learn Elven and Gnome to communicate with their neighbors.

My first reaction is that it sounds too much like the 2e halfling. If you have a race of homebodies, you might get the occasional Frodo or Bilbo, but for the most part you'll have a boring race. This really sounds like a halfling reskin that doesn't need much in the way of new mechanics.

I think that the whole point of the Kithkin was initially to be like the 2e halfling. Since halflings changed significantly between editions, this harkens back to that. Over time, the kithkin have become more warlike and there are cards that seem like they'd make great kithkin prestige classes. That would definitely make them less "boring."

Sorry this is a little late, I've been traveling and forgot to check this thread.

Debby