PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Snowbody's Keep on the Shadowfell OOC



Pages : [1] 2 3

Snowbody
2012-04-22, 02:31 PM
This thread is for all out of character questions, discussions, and such.
The game thread can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189461).

{table]{colsp=5}Main Party:
Shadow_elf (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=37959)|Alessa (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=378365)|"Water Elemental" (Dwarf Druid, Watershaper theme)|Controller|Teal|
tedthehunter (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=57805)|Arjhan (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=279749)|Dragonborn Paladin|Defender|DarkOrange|
Dekkah (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=46482)|Mertes (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=279724)|Goliath Barbarian, MC into Avenger, Iron Wolf theme|Striker|Red|
Lycan 01 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=35680)|Zimelda (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=279805)|Drow Cleric, Yakuza theme|Leader|Purple|
{colsp=5}Inactive:
kon lesh (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=60414)|Mukesh (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=330972)|Minotaur Warden, Earth Forger theme|Defender|SeaGreen|
{colsp=5}Waiting list:
Mystral (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=15114)|Jennaia (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=378365)|Human Wizard|Leader||[/table]

Withdrawn:
SemiteLock with Jarvis (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=279674).

tedthehunter
2012-04-22, 04:20 PM
Wow I can't believe you've been our DM for an entire year! It really hasn't felt that long to be honest. Congratulations on making it this far and a thousand thank yous!

Dekkah
2012-04-22, 04:40 PM
a year already eh? sure doesnt feel like that long lol.

Well done buddy, keep the good work :smallsmile:

Shadow_Elf
2012-04-22, 06:47 PM
Checking into the new thread. Its so shiny and empty so far :smallsmile:. Congrats on the one year milestone!

Kon Lesh
2012-04-22, 11:28 PM
I give you my congratulation. Even though I have only been here for a short while, you run a fun game. Let's see how fast we can fill up this thread. :smallbiggrin:

Snowbody
2012-04-23, 10:21 AM
My 2-year-old tried cucumbers for the first time yesterday. His verdict: "Water taste like cu'umber!" He liked it, even if he still hasn't gotten subject and object figured out.

Lycan 01
2012-04-23, 03:44 PM
Oops, didn't mean to piss off the big boss. :smalleek:


Anyway, I've got my books back, but I'm working on 2 papers today. Zimelda will be all leveled up and stuff tomorrow, probably. And the last year has been GREAT. :smallbiggrin:


Also, adorable story. :smalltongue:

Snowbody
2012-04-24, 09:06 PM
The good thing for Zimelda is that Padraig knows it was unintentional.

Glad you've been enjoying it! You're all very welcome!

Lycan 01
2012-04-24, 11:23 PM
I'll abstain from reacting. Zimelda flaunting it in his face will just make things worse, as much as I'd like to do it. :smalltongue:

Dekkah
2012-04-25, 07:31 AM
I forgot to post it Ic, but nMErtes try to discern the man religion.
[roll0]


I update my myth sheet.

I change my mind on the utility (took Agile recovery) but I am still unsure about it lol. Getting prone is bad for my mobility, so the utility power is nice. On the other hand , I have an attack power that give me a shift 2 built in... soI am not so screwed when I get knocked prone... I still might return to nomad rush (will take my final decision before we are done with the trial and discussion with the lord.

I also forgot to add up the feat bonus to my to hit calculation on the sheet - will correct it at the same time..

Snowbody
2012-04-25, 08:53 AM
Also, don't forget you should be getting some magic items soon-- acrobat boots seem like they'd be a good fit for you (stand up as minor).

Dekkah
2012-04-25, 09:16 AM
Yeah I know. I'am considering this too.
A simple quesiotn, how acessible are magic items in your game? Lets say I got the money, can I simply buy low level items (when in a place where it is logical - in the city)or have I to find them or a special merchant.

Snowbody
2012-04-25, 04:13 PM
I was just thinking about that. According to the module, the town store only has Level 1 Common magical items for sale, with the exception of healing potions which it only has "occasionally". Even if I make the traveling merchants who set up shop on Market Day have magic stuff, I consider this to be Not Fun Enough.

My original intent was for the PCs to come across appropriate magic items (like the rager belt for Mertes), but since I don't own any of the books that idea won't really work unless I buy some or subscribe to D&DI. So I think I'm going to have rely on you guys for magic item selection. But I'm not sure how I'm going to do it.

My goal is to make magic items available but not trivial to find -- they shouldn't just be lying on the ground or in any corner store, but doing great deeds should make it possible to get them. (e.g. You rescue the store owner from a kidnapping, he says "let me show you the back room with the good stuff")

I stumbled across this website and found the proposed idea of "wealth tokens" interesting:
http://at-will.omnivangelist.net/?s=penniless+powerless

Summary:
-winning (some) encounters, completing quests, and generally being awesome gives each PC "wealth tokens" representing a combination of gold (and other wealth), fame/reputation, and good luck (the gods/the primal spirits are grateful for you setting things right), up to 20 wealth tokens per level
-you buy things with wealth tokens instead of gold (magic equipment costs 5, 10, or 20 tokens depending on how close its level is to your level, magic consumables cost 1, 2, or 4)
-you don't have to go to a shop, you spend wealth tokens when you need something, and I write it into the story!

What do you think?

Lycan 01
2012-04-25, 05:09 PM
I not only like the idea of Wealth Tokens, but I think I'll be stealing them for use in my own games. :smalltongue:

Actually, Black Crusade uses a similar system based on Infamy, and its quite successful. :smallcool:

Kon Lesh
2012-04-25, 11:30 PM
I like the idea. It allows us (PCs) to get the items that they think will work really well. While not forcing you to buy a ton of other books. And like Lycan said, Dark Crusade does a similar system really well. It has made my life so much easier from actually having to come up with stuff for my PCs.

Lycan 01
2012-04-25, 11:56 PM
By the way, would anybody be interested in a low-level, low-magic Viking-themed 3.5e game? I need 1 or 2 players. :smalltongue:

Shadow_Elf
2012-04-26, 12:24 AM
I like the idea of new magic items being woven into the story, and having currency basically cover living expenses and such. It always was an issue for me that after level 3 or 4, food, room and board and other such expenses are trivialized. There's magic items which make your campsite or cook your food, but since the DM typically just handwaves those things anyway, what good are they? I think it would make sense to give us less spending money and have magic items and new rituals and other such goodies purveyed by a separate system from wealth in currency.

EDIT RE: Lycan; what level is the game at? I would like to give 3.5e a shot, but a lot of the fun stuff I find starts at mid levels (like 8 and 9), though I've never really played it much to verify that. Would a Factotum be totally out of place? It is my favourite 3.5e class.

Lycan 01
2012-04-26, 12:28 AM
Level 1, and core classes from the 3.5e SRD, but minus the wizard and sorcerer. This is a roleplay and skill heavy game; combat will be brutal and gritty, but rewarding.

Plus, I've never run 3.5e before, so I'd really like to start small... :smallredface:

Shadow_Elf
2012-04-26, 12:35 AM
Oh... y'see, a while ago, I downloaded a lot of 3.5e books on PDF and have been tinkering with the system a lot, so I have this tendency to overlook the SRD when I'm making these wild character concepts. Level 1 isn't a huge draw for me, because 3.5e level 1 chars are a lot less interesting than level 1 4e chars (half the classes just amount to "attack and/or move" each turn in combat). If you can't find any other takers, I'd happily fill a spot for ya, though, since RP-heavy is something I do enjoy.

Dekkah
2012-04-26, 09:08 AM
I have no trouble with an alternate way of dewaling with rewards. As long as it is clear ;).

Also, I changed back ot Nomad rush as utility. NOw my sheet is updated and final for level 2 :smalltongue:.

Lycan : thanks for offering me a spot. I kinda switched to 4.0 now and I have less time than before (having kids change your life lol). So I'll pass up, but like Shadow_elf, if you cannot find other players (I doubt it) tell me and I'll whip up some character (I still know how to play 3.5 ;))

Lycan 01
2012-04-27, 01:20 PM
Zimelda is now leveled up. :smallbiggrin:


Btw, who's got the Orcus holy symbol? If nobody specific has it, can Zimelda have it? :smallconfused:

Snowbody
2012-04-27, 01:22 PM
Zimelda was examining it last, so sure. It's made of obsidian, so it it might be worth something to a collector silver, so you could definitely get some money if you sold it.

Shadow_Elf
2012-04-27, 03:12 PM
I have been planning that scene for a while. Let's say that if Zimelda hates Orcus, then Alessa despises him with every fiber of her elemental body and every piece of her mortal soul. There is nothing in all of creation she hates more than Orcus.

EDIT: This isn't a very high-op game, so it doesn't really matter either way, but is there any reason, Lycan, why you picked Skill Training (intimidate) over a multiclass feat that would give intimidate?

Lycan 01
2012-04-27, 04:47 PM
Because I didn't know of any such feats? :smalltongue:

Snowbody
2012-04-27, 04:53 PM
Shadow_elf: That. Was. Cool. :smallcool:

BTW Lycan 01, yeah I was also wondering why you picked Skill Training rather than a feat that gives you that as well as something else.

Also Lycan -- just to confirm -- when you say "holy symbol" you're talking about the amulet you got off the berserker:


Around the berserker's neck is an amulet in the shape of a ram's or goat's skull made out of silver. He also has a tattoo of similar design on the back of his neck.

Zimelda has not yet pulled out the holy symbol from the kobold, which seems to be polytheistic:

the Wyrmpriest has a necklace upon which dangles a dragon figurine carved of obsidian, on a circular base, with a figure of a skull with ram's horns etched on the bottom. Looks like that might be worth something too.

Shadow_Elf
2012-04-27, 05:30 PM
Shadow_elf: That. Was. Cool. :smallcool:

Glad you thought so. I hope it doesn't jeopardize much with Padraig to learn that the polite young blonde is made of water.

Also, Lycan, I gave a rundown of feats you'd qualify for that give intimidate in the old thread. I can dig it up and repost it if you can't find it.

Lycan 01
2012-04-27, 10:53 PM
Oops, I forgot about those!


Also, yeah, she used the holy symbol from the brute, not the kobold. I don't think she looked at the one from the kobold, did she?


Is it okay if I take the Practiced Killer feat that Shadow_Elf listed?


Practiced Killer, Multiclass Executioner; Training in an assassin skill and +1d8 damage 1/encounter.

Snowbody
2012-04-27, 11:31 PM
The only other PC who can understand Primordial is Mukesh.

Also it seems that tedthehunter has run into some kind of difficulties; he's still logging in but hasn't posted anything IC in two weeks. He hasn't reacted to my broadcast PMs either. Fortunately we're at a part in the story where Arjhan does not need to actively participate so I'm not going to count him out yet.

MC Executioner is fine. Of course, making Zimelda think she's a striker fits right into my evil plans! :smallbiggrin:

I do have a slight concern that the executioner "practiced killer" damage may make it too easy to trigger the yakuza "ruthless demonstration"; if that combo becomes too overpowering I may nerf it (though not the pieces separately).

Lycan 01
2012-04-27, 11:59 PM
Well that depends, do I add my +1d8 before or after I make the attack? Like, can I wait and see if the attack hits before I add it? Or do I have to use and potentially waste it before I swing? I assume the latter. :smalltongue:


And sure, do whatever you need to do for balance. I mean, I don't expect to be able to smack a dragon and then talk it into submission. At least, not without a damn good monologue or some epic roleplaying. :smallamused:

Snowbody
2012-04-28, 12:36 AM
True, even with the free Intimidate, the DC to make it surrender is quite high (its will score plus 5). I'm more wondering what the effect of the "-2 to all attacks on you until somebody manages to hit" will be. Will lead to a good story in any event.

tedthehunter
2012-04-28, 08:23 PM
Hey all I just wanted to apologize for my lack of participation lately. I've been dealing with an onslaught of finals and have been feeling rather uninspired due to all the studying :smallsigh:

But I've finished most of them now, so I'm ready to resume regular posting. Sorry again :smallredface:

Lycan 01
2012-04-28, 08:25 PM
Not a problem, I've been in the same boat most of last week. We've all been there, man. :smallcool:

Do you want to respond to the request for more evidence, or shall Zimelda continue her account of what happened? I don't mind somebody else taking center stage and shutting Zimelda up. :smalltongue:

tedthehunter
2012-04-28, 08:31 PM
That's all i've got for now, I'm still too busy to go back and look up what the kobold priestess said. I guess seeing that it was in Draconic, Arjhan will have to speak up eventually, but I'll get around to that a little later on. So by all means, continue Zimelda's account.

Snowbody
2012-04-28, 10:26 PM
Hey ted, no problem, I figured it was something along those lines. Lycan is doing great at explaining, and there was enough time on the trip back to town for everyone to discuss and explain everything.

Dekkah
2012-04-30, 11:36 AM
I've decided to speak up after all.
That Rush thing is somethng I notice some time ago, but I always forget to bring it up in our discussions so far. :smalltongue:

Snowbody
2012-04-30, 12:09 PM
Sorry Dekkah -- I didn't see your posts until after I had completed my latest post. I'll respond to it soon.

Dekkah
2012-04-30, 12:51 PM
It is alright :smalltongue:, I am in no hurry.
Sorry for my lack of presence this week-end, but that usual for me anyway lol.

Will be the same next week-end as well (dance competition again lol).

Snowbody
2012-05-02, 10:38 PM
Well that depends, do I add my +1d8 before or after I make the attack? Like, can I wait and see if the attack hits before I add it? Or do I have to use and potentially waste it before I swing? I assume the latter. :smalltongue:

I've been informed that for this feat, you get to decide whether or not to apply it when you roll damage -- that is, after you know whether or not the attack is a hit. But you roll all the damage dice at once.

In other words, the power is not expended on a miss.

Shadow_Elf
2012-05-02, 11:24 PM
Insight as requested: [roll0]

Lycan 01
2012-05-02, 11:42 PM
Insight: [roll0]

Wish I'd seen that PM before I posted. :smalltongue:



I CAN SEE INTO HIS SOUL. :smallbiggrin:

tedthehunter
2012-05-03, 11:31 PM
Insight [roll0]

Here we go... :smalleek:

Dang. Can I tell what his favorite color is? :smallbiggrin:

Snowbody
2012-05-04, 01:03 AM
I'm translating all the draconic in the posts, starting way back at post #1175, since Arjhan could have easily told you. It's in spoiler blocks, but feel free to pop them open.

The interrogation started in post #1260. #1268 is the most relevant.

Lycan 01
2012-05-04, 06:07 PM
Yeah, that was the best I could come up with. Like I said, lying or trying to cover it up probably would have made things worse. So I figure being out-in-the-open about it would be the best approach.

Plus, Zimelda still isn't used to the whole "crime and legal punishment" system; making a slave out of someone who wronged you (or anybody, really) is probably quite common in Drow society, so she probably doesn't realize that her making him a lackey isn't quite how things work here. :smalltongue:


At any rate, should I roll Diplomacy or something? Or will roleplaying be enough to determine the outcome of this?

Snowbody
2012-05-05, 07:30 AM
Roll diplomacy if:
- you want to make someone believe you who doesn't believe you
- you want to change how someone feels about something
- you want to make somebody do something they wouldn't usually do (or not do something they'd usually do)

Based on what's happened so far, RP is enough. Lord Padraig believes you (mostly).

Lycan 01
2012-05-05, 11:05 AM
Alrighty. Well, I'm ready to move forward whenever y'all are, then. :smalltongue:

Snowbody
2012-05-05, 12:16 PM
I'm going to wait until Monday to give Kon Lesh a chance to post.

Lycan 01
2012-05-05, 04:33 PM
He's already posted. :smalltongue:

Kon Lesh
2012-05-05, 07:16 PM
I'm going to wait until Monday to give Kon Lesh a chance to post.

I do have a post up. If you can't see it then here it is again


Mukesh suddenly opens his eyes at the mention of a male minotaur. I guess no more rest for me.

Mukesh clears his throat and stands. "I am Mukesh. I lived in the woods. A day ago, I saw Mertes and Arjhan trying to fish Zimelda out of a pit trap. They looked interesting, so Otmah and I decided to join them." Mukesh nods as he remembers the fun that he has had with the group so far.

Snowbody
2012-05-07, 08:58 PM
Sorry all - very busy at home and work.

Lycan 01
2012-05-13, 11:02 PM
Still busy on your end, Snow? I'm okay if you need to hit the pause button for a few days or weeks. Its quite fine.

Snowbody
2012-05-14, 08:28 AM
Yeah, thought I'd be able to get some time this weekend but when I had free time, allergies dictated that I nap instead of posting. I'm in the process of composing a post but it's not done yet. Obviously Crabbe & Goyle are going to join up with you.

Lycan 01
2012-05-14, 03:48 PM
Those poor souls. They're not the brightest bulbs in the box, are there? :smallconfused:


Oh well. Zimelda gets to teach them the Drow definition of "slave driver." Since, y'know, that's what most Drow are. :smallamused:

Kon Lesh
2012-05-15, 01:26 AM
Yay. Now not only does the group have a minion but now two lackeys. This is the best.

Wish you the best Snow. Hope that you recover soon.

Snowbody
2012-05-15, 11:19 AM
No, they're not noted for their wisdom.

Sorry for my slow posting all. Things should be improving now.

Lycan 01
2012-05-15, 04:26 PM
What's this? Zimelda actually being concerned for people? Surely this is a ploy of some sort. :smalltongue:

Snowbody
2012-05-15, 10:11 PM
Ploys? Plots? In the audience chamber of the local lord? What are the odds of that?:smallwink:

Lycan 01
2012-05-15, 10:50 PM
Notice I made no Bluff checks, though. :smallwink:

Shadow_Elf
2012-05-22, 10:23 AM
Dekkah, Mertes already introduced himself to Alessa in post #1351 :smalltongue:.

Dekkah
2012-05-22, 11:14 AM
Bah... that was ages ago :).

Snowbody
2012-05-22, 01:56 PM
Oops, I forgot to have Lord Padraig offer the contract to Mukesh. He's not an accused criminal so there's no reason to make him be a deputy.

Kon Lesh
2012-05-23, 10:47 AM
Greetings fellow gamers,

As you have noticed I have been away for several weeks. This disappearance is due from a combination of fighting with my internet service provider and with a business conference. My ISP has been giving me a problem with a billing statement which took several days to resolve during which I have had no internet and then my modem has begun to malfunction, kicking me off of the internet at random for several hours at a time(I am in fact typing this up offline, waiting for the internet to come back up). To compound problems, I had to meet with a potential employer and went to a hotel for several days (Last Monday to this Sunday). The hotel informed me that I would be provided with free internet but when I got there they refused service unless I paid for an upgrade fee of $50 per day (This included a pool and fitness area that they were in the process of renovating. I could not only get internet). The closest free internet that I could find was a Starbucks which took 15 minutes to drive too (Note, I did not have a car at this time.)

I am sorry for delaying any of the games that I am in. Since I have a training conference next week in another hotel and my internet is still having problems, I cannot make any promise that I will be able to post with any type of frequency. Thus, I must bow out of all of my games. I hope that I will be able to solve these problems by the end of next month and be able to return to reliable enough posting to possibly rejoin games and/or join in new games. Again I apologize to all of my DMs (Bhaakon, Snowbody, and Meemas) and to all other players of the games that I am in.

Kon Lesh

Snowbody
2012-05-23, 01:18 PM
Everyone else -- would you rather Mukesh disappear for a while (decline Lord Padraig's offer of employment and head out into the wild to meditate) or that I DMPC him? I'm already juggling a lot of NPCs but if you want Mukesh to remain I'll drive him too.

Shadow_Elf
2012-05-23, 02:54 PM
Sad to see you go, Kon Lesh. Hopefully your internet situation is resolved quickly and you can come back :smallsmile:.

In the meantime, I am fine with Mukesh staying as an NPC or leaving to maybe return later. Its up to you as far as I'm concerned, Snowbody.

Lycan 01
2012-05-23, 03:20 PM
Aw. :smallfrown: Take care, Kon Lesh. Hope to see you back soon.

I say Mukesh just goes off-screen for awhile, exploring around town and talking to people. Maybe going to hang out with Jarvis, getting caught up to speed and stuff.

Dekkah
2012-05-23, 05:47 PM
Sad to see you go, hope you can come back soon.

I'm with the other, simply have him fade in the background (with Jarvis is actually a good idea).

Also, sorry for my own slow replies... quite busy lately at work and at home.

tedthehunter
2012-05-23, 08:03 PM
Bummer, dude. Hope you can come back soon!

I agree with Lycan on this one, I think if Mukesh goes backstage for a while it would be a good solution. If for no other reason than it helps snowbody with the management of npcs.

Snowbody
2012-05-24, 09:08 PM
Sorry to lose you Kon Lesh, even if it's just for a month! Mukesh is a great character and I hope you get the chance to come back and play him some more.

Lycan 01
2012-05-25, 11:52 PM
Is Zimelda expected to accompany him, or is she supposed to come back later?

Snowbody
2012-05-26, 08:59 PM
Who are you asking about -- Lord Padraig, or me?

If Zimelda is playing hard to get, maybe she shouldn't take up Lord Padraig's offer right away.

Lycan 01
2012-05-26, 09:06 PM
Lord Padraig. He walked off with his guards without directly asking Zimelda to accompany him. So, I don't know if the invitation is unspoken, or if she should come back later. :smalltongue:

Coming back later would probably be the smartest choice anyway. Gives her time to get her business and errands sorted out, and let the rest of the party know what sort of trouble she's inadvertently gotten herself into. XD

Snowbody
2012-05-26, 09:54 PM
Usually whenever I narrate an NPC exiting it means that I have said all that I wanted to say, but if any PCs want to say something first they're welcome to do so and I'll retcon.

Thus, even though "Lord Padraig marched out", Zimelda can continue the conversation while he's still on his throne.

The purpose of me writing that is to try to push the party to start investigating -- they've got several possibilities, and they haven't even fully explored the town. I can provide a map if it'll be helpful.

Snowbody
2012-05-29, 06:34 AM
Here's the town map:

https://sites.google.com/site/snowbodyschalet/home/winterhaven.jpg?attredirects=0 (https://sites.google.com/site/snowbodyschalet/home/winterhaven.jpg?attredirects=0)

Key:
1) Main gate
2) Wrafton's Inn
3) Market Square
4) Stables
5) Thair Coalstriker's Smithy
6) Valthrun's Tower
7) Bairwin's Grande Shoppe
8) Militia Training
9) Tenements
10) Temple (Sister Linora)
11) Inner Gate
12) ???
13) Regulars' Barracks
14) Padraig's Manor House

Dekkah
2012-05-29, 09:36 AM
The map doesnt work for me (probably the firewall where I am).
I'll try to check it at home.
Is the dwarf who wanted Dwarven ale (forgot his name... the I meet with Kelfrem) on the way to the Wizard tower?
Asfar as I know, we found the stolen dwarven ale, right?

Snowbody
2012-05-29, 10:35 AM
The map is hosted on a Google site. How about this one:

http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/mr0bunghole//kots/large/18ebb0836b1ab320c97a4d19e3f77f71.jpg?v=243000

Both Thair Coalstriker's smithy (5) and Valthrun's tower (6) are just outside the inner gate.

You found some Dwarven Ale, but elected to leave it at the campsite, much to Rat's chagrin. Nobody took it. I included it twice in the list of possible loot and nobody (other than Rat) showed any interest in it.

Who's carrying the Sending Stone?

tedthehunter
2012-05-29, 07:46 PM
Arjhan has the mirror. Not sure about the sending stone.

Shadow_Elf
2012-05-30, 11:40 AM
So, we visit Valthrun's tower first, as its very close, and then you guys can check on Douven while Alessa speaks to a woman in the market.

Dekkah
2012-05-30, 12:11 PM
Yeah, Ill probabyl stop by the smith, then go with our two new kids gather their beloning.

tedthehunter
2012-05-30, 03:34 PM
Oh well done, Lycan! You had me rolling when I read your last post. :smallbiggrin:

Lycan 01
2012-05-30, 04:08 PM
Thanks! Glad to know my attempt at comic relief worked. :smallbiggrin:

Snowbody
2012-05-30, 08:05 PM
Made me chuckle too.

Shadow_Elf
2012-05-31, 12:34 AM
Lycan, I found a lovely drow translator here (http://www.grey-company.org/Maerdyn/resources/translator/) that we can use when Alessa and Zimelda converse.

Dekkah
2012-06-01, 11:14 AM
Insight asked by DM [roll0]

Snowbody
2012-06-01, 10:31 PM
It looks like the game is slowing down. Could I get a status report from everybody?

Lycan 01
2012-06-01, 10:53 PM
I'm still in. Sorry if my posts were slow over the last few days. My mom and brother have both been having some health issues, and I've been helping to take care of them, so there was a day or two where I was just not really in the best shape to post.

But generally speaking, everything's good on my end. No homework or serious stresses to deal with.

Shadow_Elf
2012-06-01, 11:09 PM
I'm still here. I just thought one of the other players would know more about Valthrun than Alessa.

Dekkah
2012-06-02, 01:28 PM
I am still here... just very busy this week end.

tedthehunter
2012-06-03, 11:11 AM
Ditto with Dekkah for me. Still here, just a busy weekend. I'll try to post more frequently.

Snowbody
2012-06-03, 10:42 PM
OK, thanks all for the status update. I wasn't intending to pressure anybody, just see what the status was and if we needed to slow things down at all. Please don't feel obligated to post any more than you are, especially if things are busy.

Dekkah
2012-06-04, 07:28 AM
Broken perception roll [roll0]

Snowbody
2012-06-06, 10:49 PM
Now I owe an apology for slowposting (busy at work, sick kids).

Hm, let's see if Valthrun notices anything about Alessa:

Valthrun Perception: [roll0]
Valthrun Arcana: [roll1]

Yep, I'd say he does.

Snowbody
2012-06-07, 10:27 AM
BTW Lycan -- this is not a big deal, but in the present campaign setting, Orcus neither is nor was a god (though it is his ambition to become one). Currently his status is demon prince, not even demon lord. His title has never included "death", but only "undeath". i.e. "Orcus, Demon Prince of Undeath".

The present god of death in the setting is the Raven Queen. She has most influence over the Shadowfell. She's neutrally aligned and her primary concern is maintaining the balance and order. Undead are anathema to her since they pervert the natural order. As such, Orcus is her deadly enemy; he's always trying to seize control of the Shadowfell, and of death as a whole, so as to cause all those who die to become undead under his sway.

Zimelda should know this; it shouldn't be necessary for Alessa to correct her.

Snowbody
2012-06-09, 09:58 PM
*THERE IS A NEW POST IN THE IC THREAD WITH VALTHRUN'S REPLY TO THE REQUEST FOR INFORMATION ABOUT THE KEEP*

I did see that Arjhan and Mertes had greeted Valthrun on their way in -- he missed it because he was so annoyed.

Yes, you guys have finally discovered the eponymous Keep. I had to chuckle at your eagerness, you pounced like starving dogs on raw meat. I won't chide you for metagaming, because in the module as written, there is absolutely no way for the PCs to find out that a keep even exists unless they either know about it in advance, or the players metagame using the title of the module! (No clues to the existence or location of the Keep are in any of the encounters, and none of the NPCs will volunteer information on it no matter how high a Streetwise or Diplomacy check.)

I couldn't figure out a reasonable way for the party to discover it, much less give three clues, so I decided to just tell you about it, like http://adventurers.keenspot.com/d/0004.html
(the webcomic "Adventurers!" is a parody of old console role-playing games like Final Fantasy).
hopefully my storytelling ability is a little better than that.

Lycan 01
2012-06-09, 10:26 PM
Insight: [roll0]

Snowbody
2012-06-09, 10:48 PM
Zimelda's passive insight is 19, so she knows what's in the first spoiler, but doesn't know what's in the DC 20 spoiler.

Lycan 01
2012-06-09, 10:52 PM
Yeah, I was rolling to see what the second spoiler was. :smalltongue:

Shadow_Elf
2012-06-10, 01:06 AM
We're going to need a new IC thread to go with the new OOC thread pretty soon, Snowbody. We've nearly reached the 50 page limit.

Snowbody
2012-06-10, 12:31 PM
Yep! I noticed that too! I'm amazed!

Dekkah
2012-06-11, 10:54 AM
BTw I posted Ic this morning.. it doesnt show in notification (Glitch).

Snowbody
2012-06-13, 04:14 PM
So, are the other PCs staying to chat with Valthrun (and Jarvis), or leaving?

ALSO:

Given the increasing instability of the forums, I'm considering moving the game. In the event the forums become unusable, I'll definitely move. I've heard good things about Mythweavers' play-by-post forums -- I think that's where everyone has their character sheets. Anyway, I'm also Snowbody on Mythweavers. Could you post here or PM me here or on Mythweavers so I can contact you if need be.

(BTW Lycan -- you still have to update Zimelda's sheet to put in the real feat instead of Skill Training Intimidate)

Dekkah
2012-06-13, 04:40 PM
I am not saying you should not move there, but be aware that I probably cant access that forum on the time I regulary post (can you link it to me) since I can access myth-weaver fromt hose place usually.

Snowbody
2012-06-13, 04:50 PM
It's the same site as the character sheets, so you wouldn't be able to access it.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/game.php?&g=12358

How about www.roleplaymarket.com ? Even worse than giantitp.

tedthehunter
2012-06-20, 01:48 PM
Hey gang, I just wanted to give a notice to everyone. I am leaving for vacation this coming Saturday. I'll be gone for 5-6 days and my ability to connect to the internet while I'm away will be dubious at best. I'll defer to whatever you decide is most convenient, but I'm happy to let any one of you take control of Arjhan for the week, or just have him stay in town while I'm gone. Whatever works best for everyone. Thanks :smallsmile:

Lycan 01
2012-06-21, 01:38 PM
I posted, but the forum didn't update it. Should still be visible, though.


Honestly, despite its issues, I'd rather stick with GitP. I do all my games here, and bouncing around between forums would probably be just as much hassle. I've never been much of a fan of Myth-Weavers either, honestly. Their layout kinda bugs me.

Snowbody
2012-06-21, 03:13 PM
Saw it after I posted, hence my double post.

Okay, guess we'll stick with this forum and push through the times when the server is unreliable.

Snowbody
2012-06-21, 07:16 PM
I know that's what Alessa meant, and probably Valthrun does too. He's just being, shall we say, overly precise (though if you use a less polite word to describe him, I won't mind). Based on me around junior high and high school (drove my parents crazy).

Shadow_Elf
2012-06-21, 10:08 PM
I know that's what Alessa meant, and probably Valthrun does too. He's just being, shall we say, overly precise (though if you use a less polite word to describe him, I won't mind). Based on me around junior high and high school (drove my parents crazy).

I feel like I am missing a post here. With reference to which comment is this a reply?

Snowbody
2012-06-21, 10:16 PM
Alessa suggested she might be from a different Material Plane. Valthrun is splitting hairs, saying it must be the same Plane (or the binding-using-your-soul's-native-connection wouldn't work) but it might be a different planet.

Shadow_Elf
2012-06-21, 10:19 PM
Alessa suggested she might be from a different Material Plane. Valthrun is splitting hairs, saying it must be the same Plane (or the binding-using-your-soul's-native-connection wouldn't work) but it might be a different planet.

Oh, I see. Yeah; some D&D cannons have multiple "Material Planes" all woven together (for example, in plane-hopping games where you can visit Eberron and Forgotten Realms), but I wasn't sure if that was the case here. But you're also right that my psuedoscientific explanation is only really valid if Akta lived on this plane but not on this planet.

Snowbody
2012-06-21, 10:30 PM
I don't want to get in your way storytelling-wise. My idea for this setting was just the Nentir Vale with everything outside it vague and undefined. Valthrun is arrogant but he might be wrong. There might be multiple material planes. His history might be incomplete, she might be from this continent. I mainly am using this scene to get more backstory details and get to know the characters better; I'm not trying to force Alessa (or anyone) into anything.

So basically I'm saying, I don't have a problem with however you want to spin it, don't feel like you have to make Alessa conform to anyone's idea other than your own. The world is big enough and we're working together to tell the story.

Dekkah
2012-06-28, 10:17 AM
Unless something else happen with the two boys, we will head to the temple to see Douven.

Snowbody
2012-06-28, 10:35 AM
Okay, will move you along to there. There's nothing of interest in the house; they didn't own a lot and the dad took most of it.

Lycan 01
2012-06-30, 12:52 AM
Oh well, worth a shot. But hey, maybe he'll blow his Insight check. :smallbiggrin:

Lycan 01
2012-07-07, 11:44 AM
Is the spell/attack still in effect, or has the connection been severed with the closing of the box?

Snowbody
2012-07-07, 02:58 PM
Valthrun is still suffering ongoing necrotic 5 (save ends). There is no other necrotic energy present. No further attacks can come through the mirror, because the box is closed.

Lycan 01
2012-07-09, 09:38 PM
Can I use Healing to stabilize him, or let him make a Saving Throw?

Snowbody
2012-07-09, 10:57 PM
Yes - Shadow Elf already took care of it. He's out of danger.

Snowbody
2012-07-15, 10:44 PM
Hi - what's everyone's status? I'm just wondering how often I should be checking the thread.

Lycan 01
2012-07-15, 10:48 PM
Oh, sorry. The last few days have been kinda hectic for me. A little bit of personal issues, been a bit busy... I figured I'd just wait for everyone else to post first. My bad. ^.^;

I'll get a post up tomorrow. A bit busy tonight, sorry.

Dekkah
2012-07-16, 07:45 AM
I am here.
Right nowI am kinda waiting on the rest of the group to come to the temple... of course, if too much time elapse for my character taste, tell me ,I may go see if everythin is allriht at the tower...
I am unsure of the exact timing between oue two groups right now.

Shadow_Elf
2012-07-16, 05:19 PM
I'm around, but since Alessa is not really invested in either the young apprentices or Douven, and knows little about the ongoing plot, I haven't had much input. Personally speaking, I'd just like to get back on the road and immerse the character in the plot more completely.

tedthehunter
2012-07-17, 12:48 AM
I'm here. I've been purposefully taking a more passive role for the past few weeks, just to try to help Alessa get her fair share of input. I can post more often if it's slowing down the game.

Snowbody
2012-07-18, 11:23 PM
Thanks all for your input. I'm not asking for anyone to post more frequently; the game seems to be making progress and people are still interested in it; I just want to know people's approximate posting frequency so I don't get worried.

And I still have to figure out a way to connect Alessa to the plot. I'll ruminate on some ideas overnight and see if anything clicks.

Dekkah
2012-07-20, 11:02 AM
Just letting you know I wont post this week end at all. I am leaving soon for a Live roleplay game (with costumes and foam weapons). (see y all monday).

Lycan 01
2012-07-20, 11:17 AM
Have fun! :smallbiggrin:

Snowbody
2012-07-20, 11:48 AM
Enjoy your boffer larp!

Do you bring your kids or leave them?

Shadow_Elf
2012-07-25, 07:34 PM
History: [roll0]

Not expecting great things from that.

Snowbody
2012-07-25, 09:44 PM
Let's see if anyone else can do better than that.

Dekkah
2012-07-25, 09:51 PM
Here come Mertes Vast Knowledge [roll0]

Lycan 01
2012-07-26, 12:36 AM
Gonna go with History, since Zimelda can't really walk around asking questions. :smalltongue:

History: [roll0]


Zimelda: SOMETHING IMPORTANT HAPPENED IN THE PAST!! :smallbiggrin:

Snowbody
2012-07-26, 08:41 PM
Zimelda knows nothing relevant...but at least she doesn't know anything irrelevant.

Mertes heard the rumors in Fallcrest too, before he took started looking for Douven.

Alessa saw the name "Bloodreavers" on a list of surfacer mercenaries -- as far as she knows they've had no dealings with the Underdark yet.

AVAILABILITY NOTE

We're going to be moving offices. Most likely it will be a few months before we're settled down. My ability to post may be hampered as a result.

Lycan 01
2012-07-26, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the heads up, Snow. Hope everything goes smoothly for ya. :smallbiggrin:

Snowbody
2012-08-03, 10:38 AM
Dekkah,

Nobody ever posted IC or OOC that they were taking the ale cask from the burial site. I'll let that slide since you're behind on treasure and it wouldn't have made sense for you to not take it.

The items Mertes collected from the dragon burial site were the personal effects of the thugs who were working for Agrid. Some of it belongs to Rat; Zimelda has hinted that if he's a good minion he'll get it back. The rest of it belonged to the other human rabble who died in the battle. They were all from Fallcrest (a larger town to the east, where Douven and his wife live), not Winterhaven. You haven't yet recovered any of the goods stolen from Winterhaven farmers or traders.

Snowbody
2012-08-03, 10:42 AM
Also --

after the battle with the acid-spitting kobold and the traps, you just took a short rest and went to Winterhaven. It's about an hour after noon; you didn't mention eating but that's not really important.

I'll retcon asking Ian at the temple about healing.

Dekkah
2012-08-03, 11:05 AM
It is ok, if it is too much trouble, I can simply go back and roleplay the healing (if it is plot revelant)

Lycan 01
2012-08-03, 11:26 AM
I'm just curious, but where did everybody else go? It's been just me and Dekkah as of late... :smallconfused:

Dekkah
2012-08-03, 11:27 AM
Lol. I dont know.

Shadow is still around (he reply to my own games and to his, but he seem quite busy lately).
As for Ted, I dont really know.

Snowbody
2012-08-03, 12:23 PM
The problem is me.

It's so much easier for me to come up with material that involves Zimelda and Mertes, and much harder for me to come up with events that are relevant to Alessa and Arjhan.

This should change somewhat once we get to the dungeon, but I'm really not sure how to do better now.

Snowbody
2012-08-03, 12:24 PM
don't feel obligated to pay the whole 150 gp (or 300 gp if you do both) cost of the ritual.

Dekkah
2012-08-03, 12:26 PM
BTw, I dont have 150 GP to get both my affliction threathed.

I am thinking about getting the arms healed (I assume it would be 75 GP) ... using the group founds if you'd allow (I have only 1 GP myself).

I am on the recovery side already with my hands anyway (I think).
Beside , I dont wanna get drained of all my surges (Assuming one affliction removal is half as painful) already in one shot before we leave... which will cost us too much time).

What do you guys say?

Lycan 01
2012-08-03, 12:28 PM
Zimelda doesn't really need to buy anything, so if Mertes wants to use the group funds to, y'know, fix his mangled limbs, that's fine. :smalltongue:

Actually, has anyone been keeping up with our group funds? :smalleek:

Dekkah
2012-08-03, 12:43 PM
I am, and I must say we are poor lol...unles I missed something important somewhere.

Check out my status (I just reposted it IC).

NOTe : does anyone have your actuall count of XP? I seem to have forgotten to had the last encoutner XP...

Snowbody
2012-08-03, 12:55 PM
You are all at 1000XP having hit level 2 after the last encounter.

By the book, it's 150GP for each casting of the ritual (Mertes would need two). So that's why I'm saying, don't feel obligated to pay the whole cost. But the full, half, or quarter HP will definitely happen.

Yes, you are short on funds for being level-2 characters; that will change once you get into the dungeon. Your resources right now are the letter of credit from Lord Padraig and the residuum that was at the magic circle site (we'll assume Jarvis gave it to Zimelda after making the floating disc).

In the interest of keeping things moving...there are ways of reducing the chance of total HP loss and increasing the chance of 1-surge loss. One way would be to have Sister Linora do it (either wait until tonight or find her). Another would be to use Aid Another (DC 10 heal check) -- pass it and Ian gets +2 to his roll, fail and he gets -1. up to 3 can aid.

Dekkah
2012-08-03, 01:07 PM
Oh, 150GP each, well then I'll sure will only get one.

And I was not complaining about our funds BTW. :smallwink:
Treasure is quite right the way it is.
I was just stating that we are poor ot the others... and that the ritual would hurt our group money...

But as you said, we are going out adventuring again... having money isnt important right now... we will get more (hopefully)

Snowbody
2012-08-03, 01:31 PM
I added some more things to my previous post.

Snowbody
2012-08-04, 10:19 PM
A question for everyone. Why are some of the PCs talking about an extended rest? Alessa hasn't had any encounters since she joined. Arjhan, Mertes, and Zimelda had only the one encounter, with the acid-spitting kobold priest, since the last extended rest. (Mukesh hadn't rested, but he's not part of the party.) I don't think anyone used any dailies in that fight. What does everyone think their HP and surge status is?

Lycan 01
2012-08-04, 10:22 PM
I'm not sure we need a rest, myself. :smallconfused:

Shadow_Elf
2012-08-05, 12:42 AM
I wasn't sure if the rest of the party had had a full adventuring day yet. I only knew that they had come back from out of town after an encounter; I read some of the IC thread, but I seem to have skipped over where the rest was.

And Alessa was merely pointing out that it is a consideration. If no one is tired or needs a rest, there's no reason to do so. After all, she doesn't know when the last time they slept was.

Snowbody
2012-08-05, 03:44 PM
Arjhan actually hadn't had a full extended rest so he was down his daily and a few healing surges. So he needs a bit of a rest (I think 2 hours), not the full six hours.

That said, if he needs his daily for the next battle, I'll probably let him use it.

PS my son put on the furious face

tedthehunter
2012-08-05, 07:00 PM
Honestly whatever is best for the party I'm willing to go with. I think I can manage without my Daily, and I'm sure Arjhan can tough it out for a day.

Dekkah
2012-08-05, 09:55 PM
I wont have time to post tommorow.

I'd like to get cured for my arms (the damage on 17-20) affliction.

I am ready to go as i am now.

Dekkah
2012-08-09, 10:23 AM
Ok,, I am back. sorry.

SO 'Id need to get cured of the arm problem (I can keep sustaining for the hands for now. (I dont want to loose to many surges out of it).

If you guys dont mind, I'll use the 65 GP of the group as tribute to the temple (and I'll deucde it to our future find to repay the group at that time).

I'll also promise the rest to the temple upon my return (hoping we find treasure there)... I'll do a IC post about it.

Snowbody
2012-08-09, 11:02 AM
Remember, the expected HP loss from the ritual is less if Arjhan and Zimelda "aid another" in the heal check for the ritual (and of course Zimelda can heal the HP back more effectively than you just burning surges). Zimelda wasn't with the group at the temple. So if you want just Arjhan to help, we can retcon it (in fastforward if you want). If you want Zimelda to help also, you'll have to RP making peace with her and then going back to the temple.

Dekkah
2012-08-09, 11:16 AM
No time to loose :).

The priest can do it, with arhjan help if he have decent chances to help rather than bother the priest.

You can narate the result.... I'll ask Zimelda to help me when I see her after (to minimize the surge lost).


I'll post IC with the other. The psot assume I still have more tha one surge left after Zimelda healing (otherwise I might ask for a small break).

Snowbody
2012-08-09, 12:57 PM
okay, so here's Arjhan's heal check DC 10:
[roll0]
Pass: +2
Fail: -1

Snowbody
2012-08-09, 12:59 PM
Here's Ian's heal check for the ritual:

[roll0]
5 or lower: lose 33 HP (Unconscious)
6-15: lose 16 HP
16 and up: lose 8 HP

Congratulations, Mertes's arms are no longer vulnerable. You only have the "must sustain or use an AP to avoid penalties" condition left.

Do you want to spend the surge now and get back to full?

I'll get an IC post up tonight.

Shadow_Elf
2012-08-09, 01:35 PM
Not that it mattered here since Arjan AND the priest both blew their checks out of the water, but I think the DCs for Aid Another were errata'd quite some time ago to be 10 + half level instead. Not that +1 to the DC would make much difference for us, but its something to keep in mind.

Dekkah
2012-08-13, 09:22 AM
Did the ale was stolen from the Inn, or before it even came into town?

If it was stolen on the road, do I know if it was paid for by someone (probably the Innkeeper) or not?

This may change what I ask Kelfrem (to whom he should give it back), but other than that I am quite ready to move on.

Snowbody
2012-08-13, 11:07 AM
:smallsigh: I hould make you roll insight for this but...

According to what Salvana told you about the ale...

The ale was stolen on the road. Salvana was going to pay for it on delivery, and it was never delivered, so she didn't pay anything, but now she has less ale to sell and thus her potential profits are less. She raised the price of the ale for two reasons: one, to decrease the consumption of it so her current stock will last longer, and two, to make up some of her lost profits. The dwarves from the mountain took a big loss, so they won't make the trek to Winterhaven until the kobold problem is dealt with and the roads are safe. The "rightful owners" of the ale are the dwarves of the mountain. Their closest representative is probably in Fallcrest (Douven's home).

Also note that this is not all of the ale, it's just a small cask; what was stolen was a huge barrel.

Dekkah
2012-08-13, 01:41 PM
Ok then, I'll simply let Kelfrem take care of it (I'll explain him what I know about it, he does what he thinks is right with it ... I dont want to carry it as it is heavy and I am going out of town.

Shadow_Elf
2012-08-13, 07:51 PM
With Alessa's one bit of business done, I'm ready to move on.

Snowbody
2012-08-13, 08:58 PM
Okay, I'll move things along.

Shadow_Elf
2012-08-16, 07:04 AM
Did the party pick up Alessa on their way out? I'm not sure that Alessa is in this scene, but if she is, she's got a few things to say IC.

Dekkah
2012-08-16, 08:36 AM
Yeah, we would have (I actually thought you were with us the whole time lol... I didnt read you posts since the time I split up.

Snowbody
2012-08-20, 11:31 AM
So...is anyone going to respond to Ninaran? Are you going to hire the guide? Or should I just fast-forward to you following her directions?

Dekkah
2012-08-20, 11:33 AM
Nah, I am not gonna pressure her into anything.

I was giving time to other to speak with her.

Other than that I would only bid her farewell.

Snowbody
2012-08-20, 02:49 PM
I don't think anyone else has anything to say while Ninaran is there, so I'll send her on her way.

Snowbody
2012-08-23, 04:46 PM
As soon as everyone posts ready I'll fastforward you to the cave entrance.

Shadow_Elf
2012-08-23, 05:31 PM
READY.

Time for some action!

Lycan 01
2012-08-23, 05:54 PM
Ready. :smallbiggrin:

Dekkah
2012-08-24, 10:47 AM
Ready

It is a good day to die... for our enemies of course.

tedthehunter
2012-08-25, 01:09 AM
Ready. I'll be back wif' Kobold stew I will.

Snowbody
2012-08-26, 01:30 PM
okay, just have to do a little bit more work on the map (busy weekend).

Lycan 01
2012-08-26, 03:52 PM
No rush, man. Do what you gotta do. :smallsmile:

Snowbody
2012-08-27, 11:26 AM
My apologies for the crude map, I still couldn't get enough free time to make it good so I figured why not start combat, it's adequate for the task.

Here's the map:
http://beta.ditzie.com/x/503b955ccb6db

It's slightly interactive. The way to use it is to drag your token to where you want it to be, then hit enter. Then copy the URL from the browser's address bar and paste it into your post.

Features of the map:

The stream is shallow and does not affect anything in any way unless you're Prone. If you're prone it gives partial cover but is difficult terrain.

The cobblestone-looking things (both in the stream and out) are slippery rocks that are difficult terrain.

The magic circle is in p7; it has an aura 1.

I didn't get to draw the cliff face. It should be all the way across row 16, 50 feet high (10 squares), hard to climb.

Features of the cliff face that you can see, or suspect based on what Ninaran told you:
- a concealed opening (total concealment) at g16 which is 10 feet high, easy athletics check to climb. Ninran suspects there's a sentry in there, though you haven't spotted it yet.
- I didn't get to draw the waterfall. It should be across l16 to p16. According to Ninaran the bulk of the cave is behind the waterfall. The waterfall provides total concealment and partial cover, and squares it's in are difficult terrain. Ninaran suspects there's a sentry just inside.
- an outcropping from y15 to C15. It's 30 feet high, moderate athletics check to climb. There is an unconcealed opening at A15-A16; a weak-looking kobold darts in and out every minute or so (it hasn't seen you yet).

Please roll your initative and give starting location somewhere in row 0 or 1.

Dekkah
2012-08-27, 11:49 AM
I am fine a J0 (using the trees to hide my position.
Initiative : [roll0]

Note that I have weapon in hand.

Snowbody
2012-08-27, 12:10 PM
Dekkah makes a good point -- you can do any preparations you want for free (transferring items around, rolling skill checks, etc.) Also you may want to give some direction to your minions.

During the encounter, it's a minor action to direct one of the minions to do something (doing this flavorfully and rolling bluff/diplo/intimidate will help). Rat has actual combat experience so his morale and loyalty will be higher.

These three minions (Crabb, Goyle, and Rat) are standard minions: take no damage if they're missed, any hit makes them Unconscious and Dying. They do not get any death saving throws; if they're Dying and their turn comes up, they die. The only advantage they have over monster minions is that you can bring them back with magic healing or first aid (DC 15 heal check) if you can get to them before their turn comes around. As they're level 1 and 2 NPCs, they only have one healing surge per day.

One last thing. When you see an enemy, you can make a Nature roll for that enemy type as a free action, and if you pass the DC you'll get some info about that enemy type. No rerolls.

Minion Initiative
[roll0]
[roll1] + 5 = 9
[roll2]

Dekkah
2012-08-27, 12:26 PM
Opss. forgot that I wanted to roll an active perception
Perception : [roll0]

Shadow_Elf
2012-08-27, 12:39 PM
Alessa can't talk in beast form and isn't going to change back just to banter, but I would be careful with promising these kids glory, they might get the wrong idea and try something heroically fatal :smalltongue:.

Dekkah
2012-08-27, 01:27 PM
Note that I added a paragraph to my IC post (mentionning that I spoted some movement at the waterfall and hidden entry).

Snowbody
2012-08-27, 05:50 PM
If I don't get initiative rolls for Zimelda and Arjhan by say Midnight EDT, I'm going to roll for them so we can get this going. At that point I'll tell you what the initiative blocks are.

tedthehunter
2012-08-27, 06:35 PM
Initiative! [roll0]

Lycan 01
2012-08-27, 10:59 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

Oh well. :smallsigh:

Snowbody
2012-08-27, 11:07 PM
Initiative Groups:
{table]
Monsters|>22
Arjhan|22
Mertes|20
Crabb|12
Monsters|>9
Goyle|9
Zimelda|7
Alessa|6
Rat|3[/table]

The monsters that won initiative delayed. Go, Mertes & Arjhan!

Snowbody
2012-08-27, 11:09 PM
Initiative Groups:
{table]Monsters|>22
Arjhan|22
Mertes|20
Crabb|12
Monsters|>9
Goyle|9
Zimelda|7
Alessa|6
Rat|3[/table]

The monsters that won initiative either delay, or are not yet in combat. Go, Mertes & Arjhan!

Dekkah
2012-08-28, 08:40 AM
Lol, well the dice doesnt want me to surprise the enemies I guess.

Lycan 01
2012-08-28, 08:42 AM
.....sooooo, if we object to his plan, does his roll not count? :smallbiggrin:

Snowbody
2012-08-28, 08:47 AM
Sorry, I might not have been clear about it.

The two entrances are at (minuscule) g16 and (majuscule) A16. The west entrance, minuscule g16, is 2010 feet off the ground, and an easy DC to climb. The kobold sentry there is concealed by a bush outside the entrance. The east entrance, majuscule A16 (where the kobold is pictured on the map) is 30 feet off the ground, a moderate DC to climb, concealed by a curtain inside the entrance.

Dekkah
2012-08-28, 08:58 AM
Ok, I did not notice that the g16 was 20 feet.
But I did know that the 30 feet high cliff was a moderate DC (you're using the errated skill check table right?... should be DC 13 for our level). 13 is so hard for me (+11 and two rolls take best on climb)

I decided to go on that side, because I can see the guard and when he look outside and when he dont.... which in my mind make it easyer to know when to hide and stop moving, and when to get on the move.

Dekkah
2012-08-28, 09:00 AM
And no Zimelda, dont suggest an other plan becasue you know I sucked at stealth... anyway, I'll be going in the front in about any plans and will use the result of that roll in any case.

Snowbody
2012-08-28, 09:48 AM
Oops -- the west entrance is 10 feet off the ground. (If a PC stands on another PC's shoulders, he or she can climb up without a check)

Yep. You get two chances to roll a 2 or better. Can you take the pressure? :smallwink:

Dekkah
2012-08-28, 09:53 AM
Lol... I am not sure... but I am not sure I'll get the chance to do that with that awesome 5 at stealth....

If discovered, I might simply rush at the waterfall with the others... I'll see when I know what happens and up to where I manage to get to at the point lol.

Snowbody
2012-08-28, 10:17 AM
So since you're heading for the eastern entrance, you're going through the long strand of trees that streches east from your current position and then bends south, to keep cover from the kobold, moving only when it's not looking? Trying to get as close to the outcropping as possible while keeping concealed?

Dekkah
2012-08-28, 10:23 AM
Well if there isa forest north of the map, I might have gone there first and try to approach from the A row (to be as far as the waterfall and other entry guard as possible).
If that is impossible, yeah, I'll go along the tree line and yeah I move only when the kobolds isnt looking.

Also, if the purple aura can be seen, I will stay away from it.

Snowbody
2012-08-28, 10:37 AM
Yes, there is forest north of the map, but if you come down in column majuscule-A, you do break cover for an instant when you go through rows 0-3, and then again for rows 10-14. It will take two move actions to climb the cliff (you don't have to re-roll if both move actions are on the same turn).

Remember you used your AP during the fight with the acid-spitting kobold. Everyone will get another one after this encounter.

Mertes can't see the magic aura, but Zimelda and Alessa can, so they can tell him exactly where it is.

Dekkah
2012-08-28, 11:36 AM
Ok, wel 'Ill go along the forest edge then.

And yeah, I know I dont have an AP.

Actually, Shouldnt I be able to climb up 30 feet in one round with double move... (move and standard Action) ??
Not that it matters that much really...I asume the kobold doesnt look out every 6 seconds... right?

Snowbody
2012-08-28, 11:46 AM
Yes, if you're already at the foot of the cliff when you start your turn. The sentry kobold is still only looking out once a minute, so there won't be a problem of it spotting you.

Snowbody
2012-08-29, 09:44 AM
Go, Mertes & Arjhan!

(mutter mutter stupid minion crits not doing any good mutter mutter stupid swarm druids making my minions useless mutter mutter) :smallsmile:

Snowbody
2012-08-29, 01:56 PM
To address the issues that Dekkah raised:

You can't shift while climbing, unless you have a climb speed. Mertes doesn't.

Creatures in the treetops always have concealment.

If you climb into the treetops on the same height as an enemy you negate the cover but not the concealment.

So case #2 applies; Mertes will eat an OA from the slinger (with CA since he's climbing, but that is more than cancelled out by the concealment and cover).

[roll0] vs ac 16 for [roll1]

Dekkah
2012-08-29, 02:00 PM
Quick quesiton, is 1D4+3 is unarmed attack?
I assume he is unarmed for his basic attack since he is slinging... can be wrong... I'll take it like a goliath (Bloodied now)

Dekkah
2012-08-29, 02:04 PM
It is as well for ne anyway... I have now concealment and cover from everyone but the slinger and minion beside me :) ... maybe even the minion if he miss his save not to get knocked of the tree :) (If I hit him).

Dekkah
2012-08-29, 02:08 PM
I think he end up prone if he succed is save though... not sure'Ill have to check the rules (maybe you already know).

Snowbody
2012-08-29, 02:41 PM
Monsters don't go by the same rules as PCs; the monster has precisely the attacks that his statblock says he does. The dagger attack is listed as his MBA. Maybe he's got it on a strap so he can load his sling with the hand, and then he can flip it into his hand in an instant after he fires.

Yep he's prone, I added an extra icon onto the map (if you zoom it it's a foot that seems to be dragging on the ground)

Snowbody
2012-08-29, 02:44 PM
I think you meant "slinger" when you said "minion". Yes, the slinger is prone, and you said you'd move so as to only take an OA from the slinger.

Dekkah
2012-08-29, 02:54 PM
Yep :).

I probably should had have gone by the minion since he is considered armed in any case, but in the end I took only 4 damage anyway so it doesnt matter (Lesson learned :smallbiggrin:).

Snowbody
2012-08-29, 06:38 PM
Sorry tedthehunter, that's a miss. (And folks on the ground in the forest only have cover, not concealment.) I'll try to post the next monster turn tonight.

Please please please, if your attack hits a non-AC defense please post which one! Piercing Smite hits reflex, so that makes it a hit.

Shadow_Elf
2012-08-29, 10:29 PM
Also, wouldn't it be fair to assume that, with all this talk of the kobolds being right behind that waterfall and right up that ledge, that Arjhan would already have his weapon and shield out? That minor action might be better spent on a Divine Challenge :smalltongue:.

If Alessa could talk in beast form, she'd say that the others should leave her to her own devices, since these javelineers can't seem to harm her. Let the elemental wave sweep down that side of the map doing her job as a controller while you guys handle the right side foes :smallwink:.

Snowbody
2012-08-29, 10:59 PM
Yeah, we already said that everyone had weapons ready. tedthehunter can retcon in a DC if he wants.

Also, anybody want to make nature checks on these guys as a free action? 4 rolls, minion, slinger, dragonshield, quickblade.

Lycan 01
2012-08-29, 11:03 PM
Sure, I'll make a Nature check.

[roll0]


Also, does Zimelda have her action point back, since we've rested and/or had a couple of (social) encounters? If so, I have a plan...

Snowbody
2012-08-29, 11:06 PM
Yes, Zimelda has an AP (after an extended rest they reset to 1, and you didn't use any before).

A 7 doesn't get you anything, no rerolls allowed, so you don't know anything about these minions. You're still allowed to make nature checks for the other 3

Lycan 01
2012-08-29, 11:09 PM
Oh, awesome. :3

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Shadow_Elf
2012-08-29, 11:13 PM
Minion: [roll0]
Dragonshield: [roll1]
Slinger: [roll2]
Quickblade: [roll3]

Will get an IC post sometime tomorrow.

Lycan 01
2012-08-29, 11:55 PM
I'll get a post up later on tonight, or in the morning. Gotta strategize and weigh my options... :smallwink:

Snowbody
2012-08-30, 12:30 AM
Here's what Zimelda knows.

Minion - no info. It seems to be a slightly different build than any she fought before.
Slinger - no info. It's the same type she fought before, on the road, with the annoying clay pots, what did they do again?
Dragonshield - Small natural reptilian humanoid. More heavily armed and armored than a typical kobold, it can force enemies to pay attention to it, and knows a trick or two. (You already saw the trick used against Arjhan) No particular resistances or vulnerabilities.

STANDARD ACTIONS
m Short Sword (weapon) * At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +7 vs. AC
Hit: 1d6 + 6 damage.
Effect: The kobold marks the target until the end of the kobold’s
next turn.
M Dirty Tactics (weapon) * Encounter
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +5 vs. Reflex
Hit: 2d6 + 7 damage, and the target is immobilized until the end
of the kobold's next turn.
Miss: Half damage, and the target is slowed until the end of the
kobold's next turn.
MINOR ACTIONS
Shifty
Effect: The kobold shifts 1 square.
TRIGGERED ACTIONS
Dragonshield Tactics * At-Will
Trigger: An enemy adjacent to the kobold shifts or an enemy
moves to a square adjacent to the kobold.
Effect (Immediate Reaction): The kobold shifts 1 square.

Quickblade: Perhaps Captain Kelfem mentioned this type to her -- it is extremely good at maneuvering in battle, able to dart around (or through) the front line untouched in order to attack the most vulnerable. If he notices Rat or the boys, they're dead to rights.

Zimelda can communicate this info to the other PCs as a free action on her turn.

Oh wow -- I'd totally forgotten about Dragonshield Tactics! He could have dodged out of the way of Arjhan's strike, forcing Arjhan to either change targets or eat an OA. No biggie, we'll leave things as is.

Dekkah
2012-08-30, 06:36 AM
Snowbody, does the kobold have a climb speed?
How did they "shift" away from me without provoking OAs?

Lycan 01
2012-08-30, 06:55 AM
Ouch. Dunno if that hits or not. Was my Lolth's Boon power a one-use-only thing? I've already used it once before, dunno if I can use it again or not. :smallconfused:

Snowbody
2012-08-30, 08:26 AM
Dekkah - The kobolds do not have a climb speed, but these trees have been specially prepared (notches cut into them, which Mertes noticed), and the kobolds have practiced so they can climb up and down without having to roll. It's still a climb action (costs double movement, grant CA, no shifting). They will have to make an athletics roll to hang on if they're hit while climbing.

Kobolds have a minor action shift 1. The slinger used his move action to stand and his minor to shift away.

Lycan - A bunch of issues here.

1. You didn't specify the squares you wanted to walk through. In these cases I'll pick the most direct route that avoids OAs. In the future though you may want to specify the squares in case you suspect some square contains traps.

2. 4e calls these things Minor actions, not swift actions

3a. Zimelda's base attack bonus is +6, and the divine fortune adds 1. However, the quickblade has partial cover from the trees (-2) so it should be +5. A roll of 14 is indeed a miss. (She's in the trees now too so you benefit from partial cover)

3b. Lolth's Boon is one-time-use, but fortunately for you, you never used it. (During the last battle, with the acid-spitting kobold, you had said you'd use it on a healing strike when Arjhan needed healing, but it wasn't needed. You get to choose to use it after you know if your attack succeeded or not.)

So I take it that you do want to use it now?

4. If you roll well enough on Lolth's Boon to turn the miss into the hit, don't forget, since Healing Strike has the Healing keyword it gets the Healer's Lore bonus (WIS modifier, +3).

Lycan 01
2012-08-30, 08:38 AM
Yes, I'd like to do so, and help my Paladin comrade. :smallcool:

Lolth's Boon: [roll0] bonus to attack roll


DAMN. :smallmad:

Snowbody
2012-08-30, 09:08 AM
Lucky for you, the Quickblade's AC is 15, which makes that a HIT. Kobold takes the damage, Arjhan takes the healing. That puts Arjhan at full (12 + 9 + 12 healing added to his 10 HP, spend 2 surges).

I think tedthehunter's healing surge value on his sheet may be wrong, but with that much healing it doesn't matter.

Snowbody
2012-08-30, 09:11 AM
Why did you need to spend the AP and split your move in two? You had enough movement to get to N4 from your initial location.

Also, for reference, Zimelda just overwrote Arjhan's mark on the Quickblade.

Lycan 01
2012-08-30, 09:22 AM
No, it would have taken her about 8 moves to get there, unless I'm just absolutely terrible at math. :smalltongue:

Shadow_Elf
2012-08-30, 09:51 AM
No, it would have taken her about 8 moves to get there, unless I'm just absolutely terrible at math. :smalltongue:

You can take diagonal moves as often as you like in 4e. Zimelda can save her action point.

Lycan 01
2012-08-30, 09:53 AM
Yeah, but a diagonal move counts as 2 moves, not a single one. :smallconfused:

Dekkah
2012-08-30, 09:56 AM
No, a diagonal move count as 1.
They simplified the movement rule with 4e. It costed a little bit of realism, but it is a great gain in simplicity (that is my opinion).

The only time you count double is on difficult terrain (witha few other possible exceptions)

Lycan 01
2012-08-30, 10:11 AM
.....

WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN!?!?!?! :smalleek:



Well, I feel incredibly stupid now. At least I get my Action Point back. :smallredface:

Dekkah
2012-08-30, 10:13 AM
At the first print of the first 4e book.... from the start :smallbiggrin:

Snowbody
2012-08-30, 11:14 AM
Yeah, that "first-diagonal-move-costs-1-then-it-costs-2" that 3.5E had was clever, but really overcomplicated things. I think I actually prefer the Chebyshev metric for distance that 4E has. (Hexes are even more realistic, but restrict your movement choice by 25%). A game that had the Taxicab metric (like Lycan used to think) would be very unfun for me as it restricts your movement choice by 50% compared to Chebyshev.

Snowbody
2012-08-30, 12:48 PM
Welcome to the club of "characters whose first attack in combat was a fumble."

Shadow_Elf
2012-08-30, 01:18 PM
My plan was to slide his forward so I could hit all three with a Blast 3 using an action point. With that awful attack roll, however, I think I will shift 1 square south and end my turn there.

Snowbody
2012-08-30, 02:27 PM
okay, monster turn coming up.

Snowbody
2012-08-30, 11:01 PM
Mertes missed, obviously.

How about I just give you the monster defenses:

Each is AC/Fort/Ref/Wil
Minion 15/12/14/12
Quickblade 15/12/14/12
Dragonshield 18/14/15/13
Slinger 13/12/14/12

but they all have effectively higher defenses right now due to being in the trees.

Tedthehunter has until 4:35 PM EDT to post his turn or he goes on delay.

tedthehunter
2012-08-31, 12:37 AM
Damn! I wish I could roll like that IRL :smallbiggrin:

Lycan 01
2012-08-31, 01:00 AM
That was amazing. :smallbiggrin:


Too bad Zimelda missed her attack, especially with that damage roll. Stupid Paladin is showing her up! :smalltongue:

Snowbody
2012-08-31, 07:55 AM
The kobolds go before Zimelda. If her turn is not valid as a result, she can re-roll.

Snowbody
2012-08-31, 08:22 AM
Hey tedthehunter, don't forget about your scabbard's Encounter power -- a free action to add 1 damage.

Snowbody
2012-08-31, 10:24 AM
Zimelda's turn is valid as originally written, so she doesn't qualify for a reroll, but if she moves as Lycan originally wrote she'll incur two unnecessary OAs. I assume you'll just skip the movement then.

Dekkah
2012-08-31, 10:39 AM
I wont have time to post much this week end. On my turn, I'll sustain, stand up and strike at the minion [roll0]... hit = kill

The dice roller hate me... except in the other game where I roll above 12 each time so far lol...

Shadow_Elf
2012-08-31, 11:12 AM
Curse this damnable cover! If it was concealment, my power would have ignored it, but it just had to be cover... Grumble grumble.

Snowbody
2012-08-31, 11:56 AM
So climb up into the treetops -- then the enemies in the trees only have concealment, no cover.

Snowbody
2012-08-31, 12:07 PM
Darkfire is not automatic, it needs a roll. I'll do it.

[roll0] vs Reflex 15

Hit.

Shadow_Elf
2012-08-31, 05:38 PM
So climb up into the treetops -- then the enemies in the trees only have concealment, no cover.

Well, what I meant was that, for this particular attack, the reverse would have made two near-misses into hits. Overall, my odds of hitting are actually decent, it was just this particular attack that was made to miss :smalltongue:.

Well, I have been greatly ineffectual this encounter. The enemies all but ignore me, and I've done a measly net 11 damage, having used my encounter power, my encounter damage increase, and an action point.

Snowbody
2012-08-31, 08:45 PM
I know -- I was being sarcastic.

Sorry that this encounter isn't set up to either challenge you or play to your strengths. The forest cover is messing with everybody, but I think the dice roller hates drama at this point.

It should improve; the kobold minions are all out of javelins and are going to have to fight up close now, which will result in them bunching up out of necessity. You ought to be able to clear out a bunch of them in a round or two. (They still won't be able to do any damage to you.)

I may have to introduce the dreaded "escalation die" -- it starts out at 1, goes up once a round or whenever someone does something awesome, and it's added as a bonus to all PCs' attacks.

Snowbody
2012-09-01, 09:14 PM
Everybody's missing too much. The problem is the cover, nobody having any way to negate it. Now I see why most DMs ignore it in this encounter.

Here's my proposal for a retcon:

- Zimelda hit the Dragonshield, and
- the Quickblade hit Zimelda

As a result, Zimelda loses a few HP, but gives the bonus to Arjhan, who then kills the dragonshield.

All in favor?

Lycan 01
2012-09-01, 09:18 PM
I'm willing to make that sacrifice for the good of the team. :smallcool:

Shadow_Elf
2012-09-01, 09:31 PM
Sure, if Lycan's cool with it, that's fine.

tedthehunter
2012-09-02, 12:59 PM
Aye, I'm cool with it if Lycan can suffer the HP loss.

Lycan 01
2012-09-03, 02:08 AM
So, who's turn is it? My turn? :smallconfused:

Snowbody
2012-09-03, 07:46 AM
I owe a turn. Sorry, kids keeping me up all night, leading me to choose to when I have spare time.

I'm going to strikethrough the portions of my old posts that was retconned, and just make a new post with that, and also the results of the attacks by the minions and slinger.

Then it will be Mertes & Arjhan's turn.

Lycan 01
2012-09-04, 05:03 AM
Lolth damn it. :smalltongue:


I was going after Minion 4. I don't think me and Alessa are angled in the right way for me to get a +2 flanking bonus. Darn! Me and Arjhan could have used those buffs! :smalleek:

Snowbody
2012-09-04, 07:28 AM
Truly sorry you missed -- that was some awesome fluff. (No flanking bonus; you've got to be on opposite sides or corners unless one of the combatants is larger-sized)

Alessa to save the day?

Lycan 01
2012-09-04, 07:32 AM
Guess I should strike it out, then, unless somebody can come up with a way for me to get a +2 bonus. :smallsigh: