PDA

View Full Version : How to change a Fey into a Humanoid

VGLordR2
2012-04-22, 04:14 PM
Hey, guys. I'm currently making an Unseely Fey for one of my campaigns. I want to be able to acquire a certain template. Unfortunately, that template requires the base creature to be a Humanoid, Monstrous Humanoid, or Corporeal Giant. Is there any way to change from Fey type to any of these in order to take my template? I would prefer that any solution you give will not raise my LA. Also, since we haven't started yet, any sort of inherited template can be applied. Any ideas?

Morph Bark
2012-04-22, 04:45 PM
Death + reincarnate, but that of course gets rid of your Unseelie Fey template.

hamishspence
2012-04-22, 05:00 PM
According to Savage Species, the Fey type overrides Humanoid and Monstrous Humanoid- but it's on the same level as Giant, so anything that grants the Giant type should work.

Half-troll in Fiend Folio, for example, though that's LA +4.

VGLordR2
2012-04-22, 05:42 PM
Hmm. According to that Type Pyramid, Humanoid (Shapechanger) trumps Fey. Does this mean that if I were to use a Hengeyokai (OA) as a base race, I would qualify for this template? Or is Humanoid (Shapechanger) not treated as Humanoid at all?

Urpriest
2012-04-22, 05:57 PM
It's...debatable whether the Type pyramid still holds. It was 3.0 content, and could easily have been added to the 3.5 MM, but instead no other sourcebook brought it up again. I'd ask your DM whether it's in effect.

Otherwise, Dustform+Incarnate Construct will get the job done, but will get rid of most of your Unseelie abilities, so probably not a good choice. If someone has the Dragon Mag with Half-Minotaur in it, they could check if it fits your needs.

VGLordR2
2012-04-22, 06:12 PM
Assuming the Type Pyramid does apply, would the Hengeyokai suit my needs?

Darrin
2012-04-22, 11:14 PM
Is there any way to change from Fey type to any of these in order to take my template?

Try Dustform (Sandstorm, LA +2) -> Incarnate Construct (Savage Species, LA -2). But beyond the negative LA, Incarnate Construct is a pretty wonky template.

Morph Bark
2012-04-23, 04:47 AM
Assuming the Type Pyramid does apply, would the Hengeyokai suit my needs?

Hengeyokai is a race, to which you'd need to apply Unseelie Fey. As Fey is below Humanoid (shapechanger) on the pyramid, you could not apply Unseelie Fey to Hengeyokai under 3.0 rules.

Curmudgeon
2012-04-23, 05:06 AM
Try Dustform (Sandstorm, LA +2) -> Incarnate Construct (Savage Species, LA -2). But beyond the negative LA, Incarnate Construct is a pretty wonky template.
Incarnate Construct sets the creature's size, type, and speed. An Incarnate Construct loses all its original attacks, including Unseelie Fey special attacks. Incarnate Construct will remove all special qualities the creature possessed before that template was applied, so pretty much everything else from Unseelie Fey. Pretty wonky indeed, and likely not very compatible with the OP's desire to use Unseelie Fey.

Fluffy_1.0
2012-04-23, 10:09 AM
Ask the DM to house rule that the template can apply to fey as well? No need to stack a bunch of crazy templates when a simple house rule solves the problem.

hamishspence
2012-04-23, 11:23 AM
Hengeyokai is a race, to which you'd need to apply Unseelie Fey. As Fey is below Humanoid (shapechanger) on the pyramid, you could not apply Unseelie Fey to Hengeyokai under 3.0 rules.

The principle was that you could apply it- but it wouldn't change your type.

For example- in the Type Pyramid section of Savage Species "You can apply the half-dragon template to an earth elemental, but it remains an elemental".