PDA

View Full Version : 3.P Attacks of opportunity with ranged weapons?

rollforeigninit
2012-04-22, 07:22 PM
Is there a way to acquire the ability to make attacks of opportunity with ranged weapons anywhere? We've all seen it. the hero type is hacking away & his semi-nemisis is about to get coup de grad. If he was in melee range, sure no prob, just AoO away. However, they are always just a little distance away so they us a dagger thrown or maybe a throwing axe. If REALLY spectacular they have throw anything & uses his claymore. I was just wondering if there's anything similar around. Was thinking it'd help with spellcasters & the like, too.

grarrrg
2012-04-22, 08:00 PM
Pathfinder has Snap Shot (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/snap-shot-combat) and Improved Snap Shot (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/improved-snap-shot-combat), maxes out at 15ft. for AoO's though.
And it is VERY feat intensive, although if playing a Ranged character you'll probably have 2 of them anyway.

rollforeigninit
2012-04-22, 08:06 PM
I forgot about those, thanks. I tend to annoy most optimizer-types by no uber specializing. Imp Snap gets me most of what I want. Too bad the range is short. That being said, I get to make an extra attack with a ranged weapon each round over & above the normal total so it's not all bad.

TuggyNE
2012-04-23, 10:35 PM
the hero type is hacking away & his semi-nemisis is about to get coup de grad. If he was in melee range, sure no prob, just AoO away. However, they are always just a little distance away so they us a dagger thrown or maybe a throwing axe. If REALLY spectacular they have throw anything & uses his claymore.

Er, I'm sorry, but I really can't quite follow your example here. Is the semi-nemesis a friend and rival (who is about to be killed while helpless), an opponent they suddenly decide to save (same), an enemy making an attack against an ally, or what?

rollforeigninit
2012-04-23, 10:44 PM
He can be any of those for any of those reasons. The point being there should be a way to make the provoked AoO at range. In my movie experiences it's usually a misunderstood semi-ally who doesn't yet trust the hero. I know the rules can't cover every eventuality but there should be a way to throw a dagger in the guy's throat.