PDA

View Full Version : Improving Spell-Like abilities?[Questions and General Optimization]

Red_Dog
2012-04-22, 09:46 PM
Hello all ^^. I'll get to the point as quickly as I can ^^

I am trying to find out what title says.

These are my questions as per RAW=>

Boost/Corrupt/Violate Spell-Like ability
>Can it be used in 3.5? It was never updated so technically never tossed
>Will it still apply to ALL SLAs of the creature/character? Or should it be in line with Quicken/Empowered/Etc.
>Can it stack with heightened SLA?
>Could it boost DC even if the spell level equivalent is 9?

Mortalbane
>Will it still apply to ALL SLAs of the creature/character? Or should it be in line with Quicken/Empowered/Etc.
>The damage from what I can see is not precision. Could it be Maximized? Or would it interact like Empower & Maximize interact[as in they don't]

Supernatural Transformation[most questions about]
>Will it alter the spell level? As in-> Will it change it from static lvl to scaling?
>Can Warlocks take it? I scoured the forums and couldn't find a concrete answer[i am sure it has been asked, sorry for repeat, I really couldn't find an answer]. I read differences of SLAs & Invocations in CArc, and it only talks about V&S part to my understanding which seem to me irrelevant when one looks at the feat's description.
>If it alters the spell lvl to scale, would it only use Racial HD, or HD period?
>Since its scale CL with HD, would it be likewise Racial HD, or HD period?

Practiced Spell Caster
>Long shot, but would it improve your caster level up to the HD? My guess is no. But worth asking ^^.

<==================================>

Now on to general aspect... These are generic optimization questions ^^.

Besides the feats I mentioned, the only feats that seem to affect SLAs are=>
"Sudden X" line, Ability Focus & Empower/Quicken/Heightened SLA did I miss any feats/classes that would benefit SLA users? [I know about magic in the blood, too race specific = \ ]

Would any of these feats would even be worth it? Maximize seems ok because it functions just like empowered[oddly enough], but obviously better than empowered. Why would one actually bother with empowered?

Would Supernatural Transformation be worth it for something like "Suggestion" or "Charm" even if it does not scale? A warlock would probably benefit from this due to the ability being silenced and stilled for ever. That is if could take it. But what about everyone else? Would attack SLA be worth making into Su? As an example, - Pitfiend's Power Word Stun would now bypass SR automatically? Hezrou's Blasphemy would likewise become very potent especially when you advance him/her by HD? Time Stasis of Quarut would be more difficult to protect from?

What would be reliable sources of Gaining SLAs at least 3/day? Most 1/day seem to situational too me[unless its something silly like Planeshift, I'm looking at you Githyanki ^^]. How would say, a fiend or a fey would go about getting more SLAs with feats or maybe classes?O_o

Any other ideas on optimizing SLAs? ^^

... So that was long and ... I hope comprehensive ^^. I know I said it before, but I really did scoured the net for answers and came short.

P.S. The reason I am asking is that if I could capitalize on creature's SLAs, it would make my optimizing job a lot easier as a DM... or so it seems to me now anyway ^^ I mean, a lot of creatures have SLAs just in MMI. Because it is as much as extension of them as their limbs[as per CArc description of this], it seems very logical for the creatures to improve them as much as they can ^^. And don't get me started on how much it would help a warlock ^^

Emperor Tippy
2012-04-22, 10:03 PM
In regards to Supernatural Transformation the rules are unclear. The feat says it can be used on any innate spell like ability, what qualifies as innate was never defined.

You have just as much basis to argue that SLA's from classes count as innate spell like abilities as you have to argue that only racial SLA's count.

In regards to the rest, yes you can apply those feats to a warlocks SLA's. The real fun though is to apply feats like those to the Factotum; all of their spell casting is a single spell like ability.

Take supernatural transformation and all your spells become SU. That means your spells ignore SR and can't be dispelled.

Red_Dog
2012-04-22, 10:14 PM
=>Emperor Tippy

Hhmmm.. why all factotum's SLAs? wouldn't it be per available casting? O_o

Also, on Su Transformation => what about DC scale? A high HD creature would really benefit from this. Not to mention warlock. His Invocations battlefield control or mind control capability would drastically increase with DC scaling.

Charm or Devil's Whispers would now not be stuck on the dread lvl4 & 5. And they still be a valid target for Ability Focus, and Boost SLA. It does drain feats, but help as well.

Perhaps not too wise, but fun build would be something along the lines of =>
Fey Heritage+Power, Boost SLA, wait until whispers, get Su Transform & ability focus on it.

P.S. By the by, most SLAs still have an "original school[Enchantment, Evocation etc.]" that they belonged to. Would Spell Focus affect it? O_0