PDA

View Full Version : So, Bone Knight Build help?

gallagher
2012-04-22, 10:48 PM
i am getting in a game, starting at low level. all-evil party with an assassin-style build, a dread necro, and me. we are making our builds in secret, and can expect secrets amongst the party members.

Human Cloistered Cleric 1/Ranger4/Ur Priest1/Bone Knight 10/Ashworm Dragoon 4

i would do paladin of tyranny if i thought i could get the skill prereq's and do the whole mount thing better, but having a skeletal ashworm sounds fun. there is a mounted ranger varient somewhere to get mounted combat, or i can always get a battle bridle.

but i do like having an animal companion, so i should see about getting one that might help my character. is there a short list of good animal companions? i may be able to afford using a feat to improve my animal companion

-feats-
Human: Able Learner
Flaw: Iron Will
Flaw: Spell Focus (Evil)
1: Power Attack
3: Improved Bullrush
6: Craft Magical Arms and Armor
9: Leap Attack
12: Ride By Attack
15: Shock Trooper
18 (Ashworm Dragoon 2): Spirited Charge
18: Natural Bond (because why the heck not)

i get mounted combat from the variant ranger or battle bridle, i make my bone armor and make it have the freedom enhancement. Make a greatsword and a lance, cuz i am crafting so why the heck not. Make them spell storing and store inflict spells in them for extra damage. Wisdom>STR>CON>CHA>INT>DEX i think

any items i should look at, spells that i should focus on? also, what can i do for my animal companion, and what can i do for my mount, to make them even stronger? this build has +16 BAB, 9th level divine spells, a skeletal awesome mount, an animal companion, charge build, and bolsters undead. i also have insane immunities.

eggs
2012-04-22, 11:11 PM
I'd go with an Urban companion (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) for the AC. That way it scales off your stats and shares your skills, instead of relying on its normal handful of base HD.

You can buff the mount with [Undead] Leadership to bump its HD to your level -4, which is a bit better than a straight-classed Paladin (this is actually kind of weak use of Leadership, so the feat's power shouldn't be a huge deal).

I'm pretty sure that you can trade your domains out for Domain feats; with only one Cleric level and without the associated spells, some of them are pretty good trades (Law, maybe Protection if you're worried about the mount).

gallagher
2012-04-22, 11:25 PM
I'd go with an Urban companion (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) for the AC. That way it scales off your stats and shares your skills, instead of relying on its normal handful of base HD.

You can buff the mount with [Undead] Leadership to bump its HD to your level -4, which is a bit better than a straight-classed Paladin (this is actually kind of weak use of Leadership, so the feat's power shouldn't be a huge deal).

I'm pretty sure that you can trade your domains out for Domain feats; with only one Cleric level and without the associated spells, some of them are pretty good trades (Law, maybe Protection if you're worried about the mount).

good thought on the domains thing. maybe luck domain? travel domain would be helpful too, i dont have much other use for my TU uses.

what urban companions are among the best?

Venger
2012-04-22, 11:44 PM
good thought on the domains thing. maybe luck domain? travel domain would be helpful too, i dont have much other use for my TU uses.

since you're going cloistered cleric, don't forget to trade in the knowledge domain for knowledge devotion. you won't be able to use the domain anyway after your ur-priest level. plus, UP makes you take ranks in a couple monster knowledges and even if you have a lowish int bonus, the minimum is +1 and you're eligible for the collector of stories skilltrick, giving you a +5 to knowledge checks to identify monsters (like the kind you use for knowledge devotion)

JeminiZero
2012-04-23, 08:06 AM
i am getting in a game, starting at low level. all-evil party with an assassin-style build, a dread necro, and me. we are making our builds in secret, and can expect secrets amongst the party members.

Incidentally, do you read "Another Gaming Comic"? :smalltongue:

Exactly what level are you starting at? See if you can squeeze the Amphibious [Stormwrack] onto your human, as the last thing you want, is for your nigh-invulnerable bone knight in heavy armor to drown.

I'm not sure if you can stack Ur Priest on top of Cleric like that. Ur-Priest fluff is typically described as being an ex-cleric who has lost divine spellcasting, which implies you lose domains. Check with your DM to be safe.

See if your DM will let you take Improved Familiar/Planar Familiar and apply it to your Urban Companion. That can net you something that is actually capable of combat, and possibly even something that you can ride, instead of some small animal.

Otherwise, you could blow a mountain of gold on Psychoactive Skin of the Protean for your Familiar, so that it can turn into a Huge Crocodile or something.

For non-augmented familiars, I'm partial to the Raven (or Parrot if you use Stormwrack), for its ability to fly and speak, which makes it a decent scout at low levels, and able to follow reasonably complex instructions at higher levels.