PDA

View Full Version : Building a Master of the Nine

Callos_DeTerran
2012-04-23, 12:59 AM
I find myself in a corundrum. Recently, in an IRL group, I decided to take an unusual concept and go with it. That being the idea of an elderly swordsman (as in actually elderly, age penalties/benefits and all) in a low-level (for the moment) campaign. We're level 4 right now and, since this is the DM's first exposure to Tome of Battle, I want to be effective. I want to make sure the DM has a good idea of what ToB can do without spooking him by out-classing other characters entirely.

In the end, I decided I'm going to aim for Master of the Nine and getting as many of the 9th level strikes as I possibly can. How can I do that? Right now, the character is a Warblade level 4, where should I take him from here (and how) to get access to as many 9th level strikes as possible? Right now I have manuevers from Tiger Claw (Sudden Leap has been worth it's weight in gold to my character), Iron Heart, Diamond Mind, Stone Dragon, and Desert Wind (from Manuever Known feat). The DM is open to feat-retraining so that's an option, but what's a good way to go about this?

Kuulvheysoon
2012-04-23, 01:15 AM
I find myself in a corundrum. Recently, in an IRL group, I decided to take an unusual concept and go with it. That being the idea of an elderly swordsman (as in actually elderly, age penalties/benefits and all) in a low-level (for the moment) campaign. We're level 4 right now and, since this is the DM's first exposure to Tome of Battle, I want to be effective. I want to make sure the DM has a good idea of what ToB can do without spooking him by out-classing other characters entirely.

In the end, I decided I'm going to aim for Master of the Nine and getting as many of the 9th level strikes as I possibly can. How can I do that? Right now, the character is a Warblade level 4, where should I take him from here (and how) to get access to as many 9th level strikes as possible? Right now I have manuevers from Tiger Claw (Sudden Leap has been worth it's weight in gold to my character), Iron Heart, Diamond Mind, Stone Dragon, and Desert Wind (from Manuever Known feat). The DM is open to feat-retraining so that's an option, but what's a good way to go about this?

Warblade-entry, huh?

Swordsage is usually my preferred entry (dipping Monk2 (variant for Dodge feat)), but dipping Monk 1 (Cobra Strike Variant) could get you IUS and Dodge. One of the worst things about the Mo9 is the harsh feat pre-reqs.

eggs
2012-04-23, 02:10 AM
You're pretty much looking at the requirements for the 9 schools:
Desert Wind: 5 DW maneuvers
Devoted Spirit: 3 DS maneuvers
Diamond Mind: 4 DM maneuvers
Iron Heart: 4 IH maneuvers
Setting Sun: 5 SS maneuvers
Shadow Hand: 5 SH maneuvers
Stone Dragon: 0 SD maneuvers
Tiger Claw: 4 TC maneuvers
White Raven: 4 WR maneuvers

Disregarding how those prerequisites will be met for a moment, without tricks, you can only fit a maximum of 7 maneuvers known between ECL 17 and 20 (6 from class levels, 1 from Martial Study).

With Bloodline shenanigans, you could jack up the initiator level so that all 5 Mot9 levels could access level 9 maneuvers, starting at ECL 13.

That brings the mechanism for meeting those requirements into question. Because it requires 15 Swordsage-only maneuvers, I'm going to cut to the chase and say you can't by normal means.

But through other means, the easy answer would be custom Crown of the White Raven-analogs for the various disciplines with 3-4 maneuvers apiece on them. Collecting them would even be a catchy plot hook. An item with 4 level 1-3 maneuvers would cost 16,500 gp, leaving qualification feasible within the WBL of a Major Bloodline Warblade 11/Swordsage 1/Master of the Nine 1.

But Bloodlines would require serious rebuilding, and come with their own mess of qualifications (if you don't follow DMG experience procedures, they're rubbish; even if you do, the character is one level behind for about half its career).

Darrin
2012-04-23, 08:42 AM
In the end, I decided I'm going to aim for Master of the Nine and getting as many of the 9th level strikes as I possibly can. How can I do that?

My Archon of Nine (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137260) build can get all 9th level maneuvers by ECL 20. It uses Legacy Champion to boost up its IL, similar to what egg mentions with Bloodline levels, but Legacy Champion is a bit more above-board from a rules standpoint (there isn't an overwhelming consensus about how Bloodline levels are supposed to work). It also provides links to some other attempts.

Starting with a Warblade 4... well, you're not going to get all nine, but some of the 9th level maneuvers aren't as impressive as the others.

My previous attempt, Heaven of Nine, started off as Warblade 4 and attempted to use PrCs such as Ruby Knight Vindicator and Shadow Sun Ninja to keep his IL high enough to qualify for 9th level maneuvers at ECL 18 (dipping Cleric 1 for Time and Darkness domains, and Crusader 1 to pick up more prereqs). Delay the last two levels of Mo9 until ECL 18 and 19 (spending a feat on Martial Study at 18 to get another 9th), then capping off with Swordsage 1 (using all the PrC levels to keep the IL at 17.0) to try and get the last five 9th level maneuvers. Unfortunately, it falls short a couple prereqs (you need 34 prereqs to get all 9th level maneuvers). If retraining is allowed, you could retrain a couple Martial Stance feats at ECL 19 to swap some prereqs, and that would probably work.

Particle_Man
2012-04-23, 10:03 AM
Are you allowed to go beyond 20th level?

navar100
2012-04-23, 03:00 PM
If you don't want to spook the DM on Tome of Battle, then Master of Nine is the wrong way to do it. Having lots of 9th level maneuvers is cool, but using them could upset a DM new to the book. Stay a warblade. You'll still give a fine showcase for maneuvers. Let him get used to you doing +100 damage or full attacking twice before you introduce a character who does +100 damage, and full attacks twice, and heals 150 damage, and deals 2d6 Constitution damage, and die or save for 20d6 damage, etc. (granted not all at once :smallsmile: )

Particle_Man
2012-04-23, 04:41 PM
Let him get used to you doing +100 damage or full attacking twice before you introduce a character who does +100 damage, and full attacks twice, and heals 150 damage, and deals 2d6 Constitution damage, and die or save for 20d6 damage, etc. (granted not all at once :smallsmile: )

+109? (Mo9 special add to damage). :smallsmile: