PDA

View Full Version : Evil infusions

SaruSama
2012-04-23, 07:44 AM
I'm starting to DM a game with an artificer in it for the first time. I noticed that one of the things it said in the infusions was that there could be ancient infusions beyond the scope of the book that the artificer could find and learn. One of the big things that is going to happen in this game is that the players are going to be tempted by Major devil lords, around when they hit 12-15th level, I haven't decided exactly when. I really want this to be a tough decision so i need some actually tempting things to offer them.
Main Point: Does anybody know of any overpowered lists of potential infusions I can look through. Or barring that some other good ideas for things a devil could tempt a true neutral artificer with? I really don't know much about artificers at all so any suggestions are welcome.

SaruSama
2012-04-23, 07:45 AM
One thing I forgot to mention is that I would like the things they are tempted with to be class specific if possible.

Ranting Fool
2012-04-23, 08:02 AM
In D&D style settings Evil Devils often tempt people with:
Wealth (Always useful)
Power (Who doesn't want to be King or shoot lightning from ones arse)
Life/Death (Save/bring back a loved one OR Kill someone you really don't like)
Knowledge (Wizards like this one, though you could do this Via granting feats. There are quite a few nice ones for crafting, cheaper cost to craft, half xp cost to craft, if you can craft you can use 4 rings / better wands)
Fear (Work with me and be evil or X bad thing will happen and you would be powerless to stop it muhahahahah)

SaruSama
2012-04-23, 08:24 AM
I should be more clear, I'm looking for specific ideas of overpowered items/infusions/inherent abilities that would be tailored to be overpowered to a true neutral artificer. I really want this to be tempting to the actual players and I find that the best way to do that is to dangle some overpowered game bonus in front of them. I have pretty solid ideas for the other characters but none really for the artificer.

Otomodachi
2012-04-23, 02:14 PM
Form of an iron golem without the downside (no level adjust, retains intelligence score; just ignore the racial hit die, treat it as a template.) That'd make me salivate and stop considering consequences, for sure.

Aharon
2012-04-23, 02:53 PM
Secrets of Xendrik has Artifact Spells. You might try to adapt the concept. Dragon 345 also has some of those.

They are more powerful than normal spells, this is balanced by the fact that acquiring them is harder and you can't carry them around with you. The location of an Artifact spell in your game might be guarded by a demon who demands sacrifices before allowing people to learn the spell/infusion...

SaruSama
2012-04-25, 02:15 AM
Thanks for the ideas ill look into them.

Alienist
2012-04-25, 02:41 AM
Infusions top out at level 6 'naturally'. Which kind of blows.

What you could dangle is the chance to have (a) a normal spell progression (e.g. all the way to 9s baby) and (b) some spells to refluff as infusions.

Go with the broken ones. Polymorphy and Gating (especially appropriate given your target tempter - e.g. if it is a Devil, why not give the ability to summon/bind demons, a Devil might think it was funny/useful to incapacitate them that way).

The big problem with Artificers is XP loss from crafting - offer a way to 'fix' that.
No wait, the big problem is that retarded pain-in-the-patootie UMD system to make anything - offer him a big-ass +UMD item to make that problem go away.
No wait, the big problem with crafting is the enormous amount of time it takes to make anything - maybe offer to 'rent him out' some extra-dimensional space where time goes faster... or if he doesn't have one then a 'free' dead baby homunculus to help with the crafting.

... All for a small fee of course ... nothing major, just to cover the post, packaging and transaction costs ...