PDA

View Full Version : Can Dread Necromancer go god? (pittsburghers stay out :p)

SSGoW
2012-04-23, 10:42 AM
I've looked at a few threads and handbooks about the dread necromancer and I really love the class, however for my next character (strongheart halfling caster) I want some battlefield control and ranged debuffs.

Is this a good line for the DN to go down? Ill be using some undead/undead bolstering (have a ally who might be undead... he has no con score and other traits like negative energy healing) but if something big goes down I want to have a little button that will let us get out of dodge.

My last character died (level 3 crusader with 30 hp) who was fighting a level 5 to 7 gnoll that found our party... Sooo yeah tough dm (I like it this way) and I will make a crazy strong wizard for backup... But for now I want to try out DN.

I have only read over DN once a week ago and will do so again but I wanted to get some advice on this class. Is there any huge pit falls?

Thanks!

OracleofSilence
2012-04-23, 11:07 AM
Well, i suppose you could manage it, but ultimately that is not what the class is made to do. I recommend beguiler (very similar chasis and a constant line of save or sucks as spells) if that is what you want.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-04-23, 11:16 AM
Well if you want to go the God route, adding spells t your chassis is the best option, Marge of the Arcane order get you most of the PHB spells and if you go rainbow snake route you can also get all the cleric spells to cast spontaneously though IME the cleric list is heavy on buffs and debuffs while low on BFC.

eggs
2012-04-23, 11:31 AM
DN does have a lot of ranged debuffs, and a sufficient number of skeleton HD might be mistaken for a battlefield...

Doxkid
2012-04-23, 12:05 PM
DN is alright with battlefield control, but its specialty is debuffing and chain debuffing. Negative levels are a big deal especially.

Your major weakness is dealing with creatures immune to negative levels and negative energy; constructs, Death Ward-ed creatures, etc.

Simply having Sand Shaper and a Mother Cyst will get you past that problem though.

Sandshaper offers very nice spells to add to your arsenal; battlefield control, save or die, Save or suck, long term defense, buffs and nukes (some of which innately carry debuff effects).

Mother Cyst adds a few more useful spells to your list. A negative energy Dominate Person, auto Geas (If they fail their save, they are permanently under your control. If they succeed you still control them) damage that cant be healed, Scry...the feat is gold.

danzibr
2012-04-23, 12:14 PM
DN does have a lot of ranged debuffs, and a sufficient number of skeleton HD might be mistaken for a battlefield...
Ha, battlefield control...

Interesting, I've never thought of DN's this way. Unfortunately, as such I can't contribute to the thread, but I'll definitely watch it.

SSGoW
2012-04-24, 07:52 AM
Im debating on my race now that I've found a new fey...

The Killoren(sp?) Which has some good flavor plus a smite ability based on cha (cha to hit? Heck yeah).

The others I'm looking at are... Silverbrow Human and Strong Heart Halfling (bonus feats are nice).

Ill be taking a couple flaws so the bonus feat isn't to important but is there a race that I absolutely should take a look at? (No kobold)

Bloodgruve
2012-04-24, 08:15 AM
You could take a look at Versatile Spellcaster feat.

It allows you to drop 2 spell slots to cast a spell you know of 1 level higher.

Dip Wizard1 or Magical Training feat for the Wizards spell list and gain a spell book and the ability to record spells in it. Archivist1 should work in the same manner for all divine spells.

Pump up your Spellcraft to meet the DC of 20+Spell Level to record a spell into your book. If you successfully record the spell you then know it and can Versatile Spellcaster it.

There has been debate weather Magical Training allows this to work but I argue it does.

Now, if you can manage to find scrolls or copy spellbooks, you have a spontaneous caster with as many spells as you can find.

This fits well on the DN, Beguiler and Warmage.

Other options to improve your spell list are Bloodline Feats from Dragon Compendium and also Arcane Disciple feat for access to one cleric Domain.

GL
Blood~