PDA

View Full Version : Help with Ring of Blinking Question

Dusto
2012-04-23, 11:33 AM
I run a very poorly built Swordsage in our campaign, but one of my bright spots is the ring of blinking we found. My question is on the 'attacking as an invisible creature' part. My DM ruled that if a creature that can see invisible, I do not gain my +2 to hit and he is not flat-footed. I don't agree as I am actually blinking between the material and etheral planes, not going invisible. I think the wording on the blink spell is just implying that it is the same attack bonus that invisible creatures would normally get. I tried to look around for a better explaination or errata but can't find one. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

ericgrau
2012-04-23, 12:01 PM
It would make sense for foes that can merely detect invisible people on the material plane, such as blindsight foes. The spell "see invisibility" however lets you see onto the etherial plane so your DM would be right there.

Dusto
2012-04-23, 12:11 PM
You know, I didn't even think to check that. If that's the case then, I agree with my DM for sure. Thanks for the help!

Dusto
2012-04-23, 12:12 PM
You know, I didn't even think to check that. If that's the case then, I agree with my DM for sure. Thanks for the help!

Douglas
2012-04-23, 12:16 PM
In general, creatures that can see invisibility can also see into the ethereal plane, so your DM is correct. Your argument only applies for abilities that allow bypassing invisibility by using other senses entirely - the Blind-fight feat, blindsight, tremorsense, and other such non-visual means of locating enemies.

King Atticus
2012-04-23, 08:32 PM
Also...a little unsolicited advice on that item. If it's something you want to keep around for a while, don't forget that it takes a standard action every 7 rounds to reactivate it.

This item has been hit with an eternal ban hammer from my DM because he saw it used (incorrectly) in another campaign and it made for a very powerful character.

Curmudgeon
2012-04-23, 09:10 PM
My DM ruled that if a creature that can see invisible, I do not gain my +2 to hit and he is not flat-footed.
Being invisible doesn't make your enemies flat-footed; it only denies them their DEX bonus to AC. The difference is that flat-footed characters also cannot make attacks of opportunity or use immediate actions, so that's quite a bit more debilitating than just losing DEX bonus.

moritheil
2012-04-24, 12:35 AM
Being invisible doesn't make your enemies flat-footed; it only denies them their DEX bonus to AC. The difference is that flat-footed characters also cannot make attacks of opportunity or use immediate actions, so that's quite a bit more debilitating than just losing DEX bonus.

Also if anyone plays with Iaijutsu Focus, being flat-footed is a very important distinction there as well.

Dusto
2012-04-25, 12:35 PM
Also...a little unsolicited advice on that item. If it's something you want to keep around for a while, don't forget that it takes a standard action every 7 rounds to reactivate it.

This item has been hit with an eternal ban hammer from my DM because he saw it used (incorrectly) in another campaign and it made for a very powerful character.

Yeah, that reactivation has been a p.i.t.a. as our battles seem to go for quite awhile. :smallannoyed: