PDA

View Full Version : Dominions 3 demo MP game

Kzickas
2012-04-23, 05:39 PM
As mentioned in the general Dominions 3 thread I'm interested in organizing a multiplayer game for the demo. Several people mentioned being interested in the game, but not having it so hopefully we'll get several people who are interested.

People who have shown interest so far:
Vauron
Scotchland
Shovah
knaight

Anyone who wants to play should just post below

Grinner
2012-04-23, 08:38 PM
I remember hearing good things about this a few years ago...Count me tentatively interested.

Vauron
2012-04-24, 01:49 AM
In the other thread Knaight asked about using the full game to play against people with the demo. As there have been several patches since the demo was released, I'd assume the answer is 'no'. After all, the demo isn't going to know what to do if you pick, say, Hinnom.

Knaight
2012-04-26, 04:17 PM
That's solved (probably). I'm creating a second Dominions 3 file, from the disk, unpatched. I'll use that for this game, while keeping the other for other games.

How are we handling hosting? Llamaserver seems like the best option, and I've used it before (a little), but other options are also a possibility.

Shovah
2012-04-27, 03:52 PM
I.. obtained some unpatched game files, and I still have my lovely spiral-bound manual for the CD key so I'm all good to go.

I'd also like to make a last minute swap to Ulm, as Caelum makes me feel cheesy and Marverni aren't as fun without gifts from heaven :smallredface:.

I'm easy with regards to hosting and map choice.

Grinner
2012-04-27, 03:55 PM
So the demo will work with the full game?

Shovah
2012-04-27, 03:58 PM
Care to try with me?

Just to see if we can work this. (I'm running unpatched full game).

Grinner
2012-04-27, 04:00 PM
I don't actually have it installed yet. :smallredface:

Shovah
2012-04-27, 04:02 PM
It's alright, I forgot it's easy to run multiple instances. It does indeed work (I can't promise there wouldn't be compatibility problems later on, but demo and full-game players can indeed connect to and play in the same game (only tested with full-game host).

Also, go install it! :smallfurious:

Knaight
2012-04-27, 05:18 PM
Speaking of multiple instances, and reinstalls, I've been having issues getting my reinstalled version to not crash. Do you know how to get it running while keeping the updated version (I'm currently in two CBM, 3.27 games, and in one of them I look like I've got a while left.)

EDIT: This is fixed. Multiple user accounts are remarkably helpful sometimes.
EDIT 2: With that taken care of, there's been next to nothing regarding map preferences. What little there has has been in favor of Ossya, so it's probably best we go with that. Now, to do violence with Sauromatia, in new and exciting ways I have only recently discovered. :smallbiggrin:

Shovah
2012-04-28, 07:03 AM
Bog-standard Ossya is fine by me.

Also, you've discovered something beyond the Gorgon, witch-king superthugs, un-ending skelespam and shield-ignoring poison archers? :smalleek:

Grinner
2012-04-28, 07:37 AM
It would appear that more pressing matters may have my attention today. If I don't make it in time, please don't wait up for me.

Kzickas
2012-04-28, 02:35 PM
Ok, so I'm not sure who's playing right now and also I need to send you my email adress and i need to get yours since we're playing PBEM, so I think everyone should send me a PM saying their email and then I'll respond with mine. Everyone send it by 10pm CEST tomorrow (that's in 24h 30m). Then 24h beyond that to create a pretender and then 1 turn every 24h.

Vauron
2012-04-28, 05:31 PM
Huh, I finalized my pretender a few days ago.

Anyway, there are two things I want to say. First, please make sure to allow renaming commanders. Second, I've been debating doing a Lets Play at some point, and I figure that documenting what and why I do what I do would be good experience for when/if I ever get around to that. Would any of you be interested in seeing that? Of course, I'll wait some time before posting any turns so I am not screwing myself over.

Knaight
2012-04-29, 01:11 AM
Bog-standard Ossya is fine by me.

Also, you've discovered something beyond the Gorgon, witch-king superthugs, un-ending skelespam and shield-ignoring poison archers? :smalleek:

You left out numerous fun types of lizards. Also, the witch-king's aren't all that great as thugs when restricted to level 4 magic, as they critically need Soul Vortex and can't get it. It's nations like Tir-na-nog and Caelum taking the greatest thug title as a result (because Mistform). Sadly, that restriction also removes Wraith Lords as a defensive measure, which is a shame given how utterly glorious they are, and Bane Lords as thugs, which is a shame for similar reasons.

Kzickas
2012-04-29, 01:15 PM

Anyway, there are two things I want to say. First, please make sure to allow renaming commanders. Second, I've been debating doing a Lets Play at some point, and I figure that documenting what and why I do what I do would be good experience for when/if I ever get around to that. Would any of you be interested in seeing that? Of course, I'll wait some time before posting any turns so I am not screwing myself over.

Me too, but it seemed most fair to people from different time zones to have 24 hours between getting the adress and having to send the first mail

Grinner
2012-04-29, 03:11 PM
Is it too late to join in?

Kzickas
2012-04-30, 04:28 AM
nah, just pm me your email

Knaight
2012-04-30, 01:49 PM

I might send a few of my turns your way with commentary as well. Showing every 6th or 11th turn from another nation is kind of standard, so we might as well include it.

Kzickas
2012-04-30, 02:00 PM
I was actually thinking about writing something too. Great minds think alike? :smalltongue:

Grinner
2012-04-30, 02:05 PM
So for the uninitiated...How does this work?

I've been reading through StategyWiki, and I've got the concept of Pretender Gods down. Nations are tech trees, I assume, and the game's Era determines the lay of the land? Is Kzickas acting as the PBEM server?

Kzickas
2012-04-30, 02:49 PM
There's no real "tech" in the game but the nations decide what units and commanders you can recruit and what pretender chassis are available. The era decides which nations are available (some exist in several, but they're different in each. EA agartha has different units from MA agartha, and different from LA agartha). Generally later ages means more heavily equiped troops and weaker mages.

The plan was for me to host, but someone's pointed out that there's an automated server that makes things a lot more convenient.

Game info:http://www.llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=GitPgame
How to join: http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=35160

Knaight
2012-04-30, 03:07 PM
So for the uninitiated...How does this work?

I've been reading through StategyWiki, and I've got the concept of Pretender Gods down. Nations are tech trees, I assume, and the game's Era determines the lay of the land? Is Kzickas acting as the PBEM server?

Nations are mostly collections of units, commanders, pretender god options, and national spells. In your case, I think Atlantis is about the only remaining viable option (Maverni really does hurt under the research restriction), so I'll cover their details.

Units: Atlantis has a roster of amphibious units with varying degrees of armor, poisonous weapons, so on and so forth.

Commanders: Atlantis has various amphibious commanders, most of which are huge. These include several heavy thugs, which can wipe out provinces on their own with a few buff spells and a decent item (Read: Frost Brand)

Magic: Basically, there are 8 schools of magic, which each have 9 levels. Researching a level in a school opens up all spells for all mages, but the spells have path restrictions. So, for instance, the spell Summon Naiad takes 3 water and 1 nature. Any mage with those paths can cast it, provided they have the gems. Atlantis benefits heavily from Conjuration, due to some high power underwater summons, and benefits heavily from Construction, due to some nice items (Construction 4: Frost Brand, Construction 6: Boots of Quickness). A little Alteration gets buff spells, allowing superior thugging.

Kzickas
2012-04-30, 03:25 PM
Well I just chose a map without much water since I thought there wasn't any water nations.

Grinner
2012-04-30, 03:33 PM
Maverni sounds fine.

Vauron
2012-04-30, 04:44 PM
Just to note, while you will be able to see spells of research level 5 and above, you can not use them in the demo. For instance, the Boots of Quickness Knaight mentioned aren't available to us because the demo only lets you research up to level 4.

Kzickas
2012-05-01, 04:52 AM
Who's playing tien chi? and who hasn't joined yet?

Kzickas
2012-05-01, 04:14 PM
The game has now been started

Vauron
2012-05-01, 05:13 PM
I seem to be having trouble opening the .trn file. Its telling me that version 327 is needed while I only have 300. Had you tried to patch your demo, Kzickas?

Edit: Patching the demo did nothing, it still counts as 300 and not the needed 327. Short of getting the game itself somehow, I'm not sure how to proceed.

Kzickas
2012-05-02, 04:11 AM
It seems the server uses the patched version by default, so it seems that old fashion PBEM is the only solution. That means everyone's got to email their pretenders to me

Knaight
2012-05-02, 04:14 AM
Curses. I thought they'd dealt with that one. Hopefully, this doesn't cause too much of a delay, though the lack of quickhost is probably going to double the length of the game.

Vauron
2012-05-02, 10:50 AM
Alright then. Incidently, has anyone figured out who T'ien is?

Grinner
2012-05-02, 03:54 PM
I chose Marverni, so I'd assume T'ien is Knaight.

Vauron
2012-05-02, 04:25 PM
No, he is Sauromatia. What I think happened is that someone who isn't part of this forum, or at least the last two threads, saw an open game and decided to join.

Knaight
2012-05-02, 10:44 PM
That would make sense, and I know it's happened before. On the other hand, what is Kzickas playing? He has the full version, so Tien is an option.

Vauron
2012-05-03, 12:23 AM
My understanding:

Me: divine monkeys
Knaight: Man-eating Amazons
Kzickas: Greeks
Scotch: Celts

Knaight
2012-05-03, 12:26 AM
My understanding:

Me: divine monkeys
Knaight: Man-eating Amazons
Kzickas: Greeks
Scotch: Celts

I seem to remember it being a five player game though.

Vauron
2012-05-03, 04:28 AM
I seem to remember it being a five player game though.

I didn't bother to include ??????:Chinese

Knaight
2012-05-03, 03:48 PM
I didn't bother to include ??????:Chinese

Shovah mentioned being interested in the other thread and was listed among the five, they have also been in this one, and they have the full game. I'm assuming that they're playing Tien, if it isn't just some random person.

Shovah
2012-05-03, 04:46 PM
Afraid not.
Last I heard was Kzickas telling me he'd host, and then that the game had started :smallconfused:. I think I missed something along the way.

Knaight
2012-05-03, 05:08 PM
Huh. Well, it got un-kickedoff because llamaserver apparently doesn't like to cooperate, so if you email him your pretender we should be fine. Ossya is too large a map for four people anyways.

Kzickas
2012-05-08, 01:53 PM
I'm sorry for just disappearing like that (combination of RL interfering and several times when I did have time having the server be in the middle of backup). Are people still here? As mentioned the llamaserver didn't work with the demo. If we do play is there anyone who thinks they could host, given my demonstrated unreliability?

Knaight
2012-05-08, 04:56 PM
It's good to have you back, and I, for one, am still interested. I cannot, however, host, so that's still a problem.

Vauron
2012-05-08, 10:33 PM
Could one of you point me to a guide explaining how to host a game? I might be able to do so, but I need to see what is required of me first.

Kzickas
2012-05-09, 01:45 PM
I don't really know, I was planning on consulting the manual, which was on scribd. But it's gone now. Anyone who's got the full game and therefore the manual who can write a step by step?

Shovah
2012-05-09, 02:45 PM
Basically, players do their turns and email their .trn files to the host. The host puts them all in the game folder and hosts the game, then sending the new .trn files out to all the players (who then do their turns, send the files back, and the game gets hosted again).

Vauron
2012-05-09, 09:04 PM
Good news everyone! I'm certain I can handle hosting duties. Additionally, after sacrificing several orphans I had laying about the house, I tracked down a copy of the manual. I'm kinda worried that linking to it would be filesharing, so I wont leave the link on the forum.

If you still desire to play, send me a pm with your email address and than I'll send you an email. Any requests concerning the manual will be dealt with through email.

Could those still interested in the game give a quick heads up here in the thread?

Edit: If you just found out about this game and are interested in joining, feel free to post here. Bare in mind that, of the nations you can choose from the demo, only Atlantis and Agartha haven't been claimed yet. This of course does assume that everyone is still interested, but you should keep that in mind.

Knaight
2012-05-09, 09:07 PM
Excellent. That makes three of us at a minimum.

Kzickas
2012-05-10, 06:20 PM
I'm still in. And you already have my email

Vauron
2012-05-10, 07:57 PM
As everyone else has responded, I'm going to give Scotchland until 2PM EST Saturday, than I intend to start regardless of whether he is with us or not.

Anyone have a problem with site frequency 50 and 15 hall of fame entries?

Knaight
2012-05-12, 02:31 AM
50-15 should be fine. The only thing that's a real deal breaker is renaming - it absolutely has to be on (well, I suppose there are a few completely unreasonable things that I'd reject regarding settings, but renaming is the only one that is at all uncertain).

Vauron
2012-05-12, 01:08 PM
Oh renaming is going on one way or another. That wasn't even going to be up for debate.

Kzickas, I may have your email but I don't have your pretender. You need to send me that before we can begin.

Edit:
I'm going to give a little more time so that Kzickas can send in his pretender, even though I had intended to send out the .trn files four hours ago. Just three seems too low a number for the map.

Speaking about settings, I generally prefer to have as many sites as possible. If there was an option for '4 sites everywhere that isn't a capital', I'd have it on pretty much all the time. I had debated suggesting easy research, to give more time to use what options are available. However, I don't think that option is used much in real games, and I'm trying to get a feel for whether to spend money.

Knaight
2012-05-13, 02:35 AM
I think that Kzickas has the pretender sorted out. He emailed the file to me, so even if he doesn't send it to you I can forward it.

As for settings - I play 75 sites, Easy Research all the time. It's unconventional, and this is face to face hotseat gaming, but it works and is a lot of fun.

Vauron
2012-05-13, 05:36 AM
..?

I'm curious about a few things. First, why exactly did you receive his pretender file? Second, how do you feel easy research affects strategies and the like? I can see it favoring late game nations like Bogarus, but I'd like to hear your experience with that setting.

A note: I don't recall there being a set period of time for turns to be taken. Would 48 hours work, or would something longer be better for all of you?

Shovah
2012-05-13, 07:18 AM
48 hours would be reasonable.

Easy research/75 sites might seem a bit much with research capped to level 4 stuff. I have no problem with sites set at whatever level, but the easy research seems excessive (even with the demo's turn limit, you should be able to have most schools out to level 4 by the end).

Knaight
2012-05-13, 09:53 PM
I'm curious about a few things. First, why exactly did you receive his pretender file? Second, how do you feel easy research affects strategies and the like? I can see it favoring late game nations like Bogarus, but I'd like to hear your experience with that setting.

A note: I don't recall there being a set period of time for turns to be taken. Would 48 hours work, or would something longer be better for all of you?

He was confused as to who was hosting, and as such sent it to me. As for strategies - easy research hurts bless-rushers a bit, and generally helps magically powerful nations with low grade troops (e.g. Kailasa. Though they are still pretty bad). It also accelerates the introduction of super combatants greatly, and communions to a low degree.

With that said, I'd recommend against it. Research is limited to all of level 4, which is absolutely trivial under easy research. Hence, my support for the initial levels.

I'd also note that skill levels are really unbalanced in the players of my local group, to the point where two of us (myself included) have a lot of our better nations flat out banned from us for fairness purposes.

As for turn times - because you're hosting anyways, just wait for everyone to send in their turns and don't stale turn anyone. It's a small group, so that shouldn't cause problems.

gp1628
2013-01-14, 05:23 PM
I am sorry for seeing this late.

The Dominions 3 DEMO has been updated and can be downloaded directly from the devs home site www.Illwinter.com

Updated 4-player DEMO games are always open at www.Dom3Minions.com and if you want a larger game with specials mods and maps then just ask. Most of the games on Dom3Minions are direct connect but if you really see a need for PbEM that can be arranged.