PDA

View Full Version : are there any elven subraces with more than +2 dex

Saito Takuji
2012-04-23, 06:08 PM
fairly self explanatory as listed in the title, looking fo this before any templates obviously

Lonely Tylenol
2012-04-23, 06:20 PM
According to this master player race list (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19546874/Master_Player_Race_List_Version_2.0), no.

Further, according to this master template list (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869266/Master_Template_List), there are no LA+0 templates that increase DEX (the Amphibious template actually reduces it). Unless one of the LA: n/a templates offers itself to being +0, you'll likely have to eat a level adjustment if you want to be a templated Elf so as to gain +4 DEX.

Saito Takuji
2012-04-23, 08:35 PM
ah lame, ahwell +2 can be good enough i suppose. was looking to make some kind of archer/arcane caster build in a gesalt campaign, and wanted to go arcane archer, and substitute dex in as my casting ability score (From bastards and bloodlines) still could work tho

Flickerdart
2012-04-23, 08:37 PM
Unseelie Fey, if your DM allows it, gives +2 Dex and is LA0.

Saito Takuji
2012-04-23, 08:41 PM
dm is pretty cool with stuff, it is a high power campaign, what book is it from (assuming this is a template right?)

Flickerdart
2012-04-23, 08:46 PM
Dragon #304. It's ridiculously powerful for LA0. I would advise talking with your DM to determine which of its abilities you should be allowed to take, because if you choose lower-impact abilities (no flight or special vision mode, one of the weaker special powers) then it's merely strong rather than absurd.

Fluffy_1.0
2012-04-23, 09:03 PM
Not that I know of but you could refluff Catfolk. Ditch the natural armor and other catty benefits. Add in the elven abilities. Call it elder elf, or greater elf, or something?

Lostbutseeking
2012-04-23, 09:27 PM
Avariel from races of faerun have +4 dex among other things, they are LA3 however.

Curmudgeon
2012-04-23, 09:32 PM
Dragon #304. It's ridiculously powerful for LA0. I would advise talking with your DM to determine which of its abilities you should be allowed to take, because if you choose lower-impact abilities (no flight or special vision mode, one of the weaker special powers) then it's merely strong rather than absurd.
The biggest problem with Unseelie Fey is that, while it gives nice things, it also reduces the character's survivability. It reduces CON (and STR). Any attack with an iron or steel weapon automatically adds +1d6 damage. Even touching iron/steel causes 1 point of damage/round. Open a steel door? 1 point. Search an armored body, or touch a discarded weapon: 1 point each. You'll be hard-pressed to find effective non-steel weapons, and when you do you'll pay extra for them. So expect to take more rounds of damage while using your inferior weapons.

So yes, Unseelie Fey makes the character more powerful. It also make the character more likely to die.

Dumbledore lives
2012-04-23, 09:36 PM
I believe air goblin from UA/srd gives +4 to Dex, though it is not an elf.

Flickerdart
2012-04-23, 09:37 PM
Eh, past level 1 those don't matter very much, and the difference between a wooden Greatclub and a metal Greatsword is minuscule if you're playing an Unseelie Fey frontliner for some ridiculous reason.

Jack Zander
2012-04-23, 09:37 PM
The biggest problem with Unseelie Fey is that, while it gives nice things, it also reduces the character's survivability. It reduces CON (and STR). Any attack with an iron or steel weapon automatically adds +1d6 damage. Even touching iron/steel causes 1 point of damage/round. Open a steel door? 1 point. Search an armored body, or touch a discarded weapon: 1 point each. You'll be hard-pressed to find effective non-steel weapons, and when you do you'll pay extra for them. So expect to take more rounds of damage while using your inferior weapons.

So yes, Unseelie Fey makes the character more powerful. It also make the character more likely to die.

Can't you just like, wear gloves or something?

Saito Takuji
2012-04-23, 09:45 PM
may have to look into getting that dragon mag... is there anywhere where they are archived online, or any other way of obtaining them

Zonugal
2012-04-23, 09:51 PM
Fire Elves have +2 Dex, -2 Con, +2 Int & -2 Cha.

Eh???

Curmudgeon
2012-04-23, 09:54 PM
Can't you just like, wear gloves or something?
Why would those work? Gloves offer no protection to enemies when you're trying to discharge a touch attack spell, so they shouldn't offer you any protection when you pick up a steel weapon.

Elric VIII
2012-04-23, 09:54 PM
Just play an infant an elven infant is probably 20-ish. Extrapolating from the age penalties, it should look like this:

{table=head]Age Category | Physical Stats |Mental Stats
Venerable | -6 | +3
Old | -3 | +2
Middle-Aged | -1 | +1
Adult | 0 | 0
Teenager | +1 | -1
Child | +3 | -2
Infant | +6 | -3[/table]

On a serious note: Pair Unseely Fey with the Arctic template (also +0) to get -2 Cha and +2 Con.

Saito Takuji
2012-04-23, 10:01 PM
hrm i may want to load up on as many +0 templates as i can find just for the fun of it

Elric VIII
2012-04-23, 10:05 PM
hrm i may want to load up on as many +0 templates as i can find just for the fun of it

This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11573674&postcount=41) happened once, in this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210125).

Replace the Warforged with an Elf that has been targetted by Flesh-to-Stone, Animate Object, Permanency, and Awaken Construct.

Larkas
2012-04-23, 10:30 PM
On a serious note: Pair Unseely Fey with the Arctic template (also +0) to get -2 Cha and +2 Con.

Wait, what? Are you talking about UA's Arctic Elf? That has -2 Strength and +2 Dexterity. Paired with Unseelie Fey (DrM#304, pg 66), which has -2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution and +2 Charisma, they have a net -4 Strength, +4 Dexterity, -2 Constitution and +2 Charisma. Maybe you're thinking another template? Or did I get anything wrong? Anyways, that does net a +4 Dex, but a -4 Str might be self-defeating if the OP is thinking of going physical.

Elric VIII
2012-04-23, 10:37 PM
Wait, what? Are you talking about UA's Arctic Elf? That has -2 Strength and +2 Dexterity. Paired with Unseelie Fey (DrM#304, pg 66), which has -2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution and +2 Charisma, they have a net -4 Strength, +4 Dexterity, -2 Constitution and +2 Charisma. Maybe you're thinking another template? Or did I get anything wrong? Anyways, that does net a +4 Dex, but a -4 Str might be self-defeating if the OP is thinking of going physical.

Arctic is a template from Dragon 306 that gives +2 Con and -2 Cha (plus some skill bonuses and +1 to saves vs freezing to death, or something).

Saito Takuji
2012-04-23, 10:42 PM
This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11573674&postcount=41) happened once, in this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210125).

Replace the Warforged with an Elf that has been targetted by Flesh-to-Stone, Animate Object, Permanency, and Awaken Construct.

going to look thru that then, and i will see what the GM will let me get away with

Larkas
2012-04-23, 10:46 PM
Arctic is a template from Dragon 306 that gives +2 Con and -2 Cha (plus some skill bonuses and +1 to saves vs freezing to death, or something).

Oooooh... But wait, the sum is still off. +2 Dex and -2 Con with +2 Con and -2 Cha with -2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Con and +2 Cha nets a -2 Str, +4 Dex and -2 Con. But indeed, it might serve the OP well.

Saito Takuji
2012-04-23, 10:46 PM

going to look thru that then, and i will see what the GM will let me get away with

Jack Zander
2012-04-23, 11:45 PM
Why would those work? Gloves offer no protection to enemies when you're trying to discharge a touch attack spell, so they shouldn't offer you any protection when you pick up a steel weapon.

Because... ummm... magic!

Curmudgeon
2012-04-24, 12:49 AM
Because... ummm... magic!
Absolutely. Magic both ways. :smallbiggrin:

georgie_leech
2012-04-24, 11:04 AM
I thought the unseelie fey reaction to iron wasn't magical though :smallconfused: It's almost always portayed as it being toxic to them, like a severe allergic reaction. Why wouldn't preventing direct contact prevent damage?

Curmudgeon
2012-04-24, 11:45 AM
The :smallbiggrin: was supposed to indicate a joke. Maybe I needed to go with :biggrin: instead.

No, the Iron Vulnerability of the Unseelie Fey template isn't magical. However, the way D&D does things that probably doesn't matter. What does matter is how the game defines "touch".
touch attack

An attack in which the attacker must connect with an opponent but does not need to penetrate armor. There's no requirement for actual flesh contact with a touch attack. There aren't any other rules for touching things in the game that I know of. But if you've found some rule requiring skin contact for touching, please let me know.