PDA

View Full Version : Undefined Fantastic Outsider [3.5, Monster, Incarnum]

strawberryman
2012-04-23, 06:29 PM
I know, I know. Me making something inspired by Touhou. What a surprise.

Rakshasa, Tadaka
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/7126/tadaka.jpg

Size/Type: Medium Outsider (Incarnum, Native)
Hit Dice: 14d8+70 (133 hp)
Initiative: +8
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
Armor Class: 25 (+4 Dex, +11 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 21
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+16
Attack: Claw +16 melee (1d6+4)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +16 melee (1d6+4) and bite +14 melee (1d8+2)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Aura of pestilence, detect thoughts, meldshaping
Special Qualities: Change shape, damage reduction 15/good and piercing, darkvision 60 ft., essentia pool 13, immunity to poison and disease, spell resistance 31
Saves: Fort +14, Ref +13, Will +12
Abilities: Str 19, Dex 18, Con 21, Int 15, Wis 16, Cha 14
Skills: Climb +13, Concentration +22, Hide +22, Intimidate +18, Jump +15, Knowledge (arcana) +10, Knowledge (the planes) +10, Listen +21, Move Silently +22, Spellcraft +19, Spot +21, Survival +19, Swim +12, Tumble +14
Feats: Alertness, Bonus Essentia, Combat Reflexes, Improved Initiative, Multiattack
Environment: Warm Forests
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 13
Treasure: Standard coins; double goods; standard items
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +5

The least-known breed of rakshasa, these feral creatures make others of their kind look tame in comparison. Manipulating incarnum with natural proficiency, they are dangerous beasts that harness a unique soulmeld even for totemists; the multi-tentacled spirit of the original tadakan rakshasa. Though no two tadakan rakshasa use the same soulmelds, they have been known to flock towards those that grant plague and pestilence-bringing abilities, debilitating their foes so they can finish them by hand.

Combat

Most Tadakan Rakshasa will shape the Spirit of Tataka soulmeld to their Totem soulmeld, then focus on debilitating soulmelds such as the Brass Mane or Gorgon Mask.

Aura of Pestilence (Su)
As a free action, a tadakan rakshasa can activate or suppress an aura that penalizes all Fortitude saves by -2 when within 30 feet of it. A tadakan rakshasa can invest essentia in this ability to increase the penalty to Fortitude saves by 1 per point of essentia.

Detect Thoughts (Su)
A tadakan rakshasa can continuously use detect thoughts as the spell (caster level 18th; Will DC 14 negates). It can suppress or resume this ability as a free action. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Meldshaping Ability: A tadakan rakshasa has the innate ability to shape soulmelds chosen from the totemist class list, as a 14th level totemist. Its essentia pool, maximum amount of essentia it can invest, number of soulmelds it can shape per day, and its chakra binds (both number and type) are also based on the totemist class progression.

Change Shape (Su)
A tadakan rakshasa can assume any humanoid form, or revert to its own form, as a standard action. In humanoid form, a tadakan rakshasa loses its claw and bite attacks (although it often equips itself with weapons and armor instead). A tadakan rakshasa remains in one form until it chooses to assume a new one. A change in form cannot be dispelled, but the tadakan rakshasa reverts to its natural form when killed. A true seeing spell reveals its natural form.

Skills
A tadakan rakshasa has a +4 racial bonus on Hide and Move silently checks. *When using change shape, a tadakan rakshasa gains a +10 circumstance bonus on Disguise checks. If reading an opponent’s mind, it receives a +4 circumstance bonus on Bluff and Disguise checks.

Spirit of Tataka
Descriptors: None
Classes: Totemist
Chakra: Throat (totem)
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates

Incarnum shines around your throat and back, depicting a horrible beast with a black face and six great tendrils, and a snake for a tail. Your body becomes hazy as black smoke coils around it, obscuring your true place.

An ancient soulmeld, possibly one of the very first, totemists who shape the spirit of tataka are shrouded in the dark cloud of tataka, a vile rakshasa whose soul and blood flows through the veins of tadakan rakshasas.
If you spend at least 1 round not moving, you gain 10% miss chance, as a cloud of obscuring smoke grows around you. This miss chance is not affected by True Seeing or other methods of divination, however creatures with Blind Fight may roll twice against you.
Essentia: Every point of essentia invested in your spirit of tataka increases the miss chance you gain while not moving by 5%.

Chakra Bind (Throat)
In addition to the black smoke that emanates from your body, your very breath becomes a toxic, virulent green mist.

You gain the ability to breathe toxic smoke that affects all creatures adjacent to you. On a failed Fortitude save, creatures are poisoned, taking 1d6 Con damage immediately, and 2d6 Con damage in 1 minute. You may use this ability once per encounter. This ability takes a standard action to use. Creatures who are immune to disease are immune to this ability.

Chakra Bind (Totem)
The tendrils of the beast displayed on your back lift up, coming to reality, forming six tranlucent tentacles on your back; three blue, three red, each bigger than the last in each set.

You gain two tentacle attacks (the other four are far too small to function in combat), each dealing 1d4 damage. You have 10' reach with these tentacles. You can make a single attack with either of the tentacles (each have different effects, see below) as a primary attack, using your full attack bonus and adding your Strength bonus on your damage roll. You can attack with both tentacles as a primary attack with a full attack action, or as secondary weapons following an attack with a weapon or other natural weapon. Using the tentacles as secondary attacks apply a -5 penalty on the attack roll and apply half your Strength bonus on damage.
Each tentacle is covered in a vile substance that causes immediate, violent disease. Creatures who are successfully struck by either tentacle must succeed at a Fortitude save or suffer the effects of a magical disease that has no incubation time.
The damage dealt depends on which tentacle the creature is struck with.
Red: 1d4 Con damage.
Blue: 1d4 Wis damage.
The creature must succeed at a Fortitude every hour or take the damage, and if they succeed at two saves in a row, the disease is successfully fought off. The disease can also be removed with a casting of Remove Disease. Once a creature is exposed to the disease (whether they fail or succeed at their save), they can not be affected again for 24 hours.
Every point of essentia you invest in spirit of tataka grants a +1 bonus to the DC of the disease.

Reaper42
2012-04-24, 08:50 AM
Cool seems like you put a lot of work on it

Debihuman
2012-04-24, 06:56 PM
Other than the tiger paw in the the picture, it didn't call out to me as a rakshasa. Nevertheless, I like what you what you did. I'm not familiar with the Magic of Incarnum so I find it difficult to judge this creature.

Debby

strawberryman
2012-04-25, 01:26 PM
Other than the tiger paw in the the picture, it didn't call out to me as a rakshasa. Nevertheless, I like what you what you did. I'm not familiar with the Magic of Incarnum so I find it difficult to judge this creature.

Debby

The picture is of Houjuu Nue (http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Nue_Houjuu), the mechanical basis for Spirit of Tataka, and inspiration for most of the monster as a whole, with mythological grabs from her inspiration in turn, the Nue, which is a spreader of disease. I'll acknowledge the picture doesn't scream rakshasa, but short of making a commission (which I'm too broke to do), there's probably not a lot of tentacled totemist rakshasa pictures around, if at all. :smalltongue:

TheGeckoKing
2012-04-25, 02:26 PM
Very cool monster, but one rather vital nitpick - It's meldshaping is based on the Totemist, but of what level (i.e as an ? level Totemist)?