PDA

View Full Version : Saw a random clip in the library...

fergo
2012-04-23, 07:25 PM
My curiosity was piqued...

A guy was watching some random TV show or movie on his laptop in the library (with headphones in, so no sound) and it looked kind of fantasy-y. I can't stop wondering, in an idle sort of way, what it was, even though it didn't look partularly good :smallmad:.

The scene I saw took place on grassy fields near the coast. Two groups on horseback were meeting.

The first has a light colour scheme, so I assume they were the goodies. Their banners were light green and showed a stag. Their leader had blond hair and had a sort of antler-like crown.

The second had a darker colour scheme. They also included a woman dressed completely in red, right down to the colour of her hair.

That's about all I can remember :smalltongue:. But it's kind of bugging me so I was wondering if anyone has amazing trivia knowledge for random fantasy films. Anyone who knows what it might be will have my eternal thanks :smallwink:.

Completely pointless, I know. But thought I was worth a shot. :smallbiggrin:

Visserian
2012-04-23, 07:38 PM
Sounds exactly like the episode of Game of Thrones that aired last Sunday.

Was this the man with the crown?
http://www.thinkhero.com/2012/01/05/game-of-thrones-featurette-with-renly-baratheon-video/

And the show is amazing. :smallbiggrin:

WalkingTarget
2012-04-23, 08:41 PM
Yeah, I haven't even caught any of the new season yet, but that description (other than possibly the guy's hair color and the banner color unless it's different from the book) is dead-on for House Baratheon (light-colored banner - gold in the books at least, stag emblem) and Melisandre, the red priestess of R'hllor.

fergo
2012-04-23, 08:41 PM
Haha, yeah, that's it :smallbiggrin:. Easier than I thought.

I need to watch them someday, but I don't have Sky :smallfrown:.

TheSummoner
2012-04-23, 10:50 PM
Yep, Game of Thrones. Season 2 Episode 4 for sure. As for good guy and bad guy, it's a bit more gray than you think.

The two were brothers. The one with the red woman was the older of the two, Stannis. The one wearing the crown with the stag banner was his younger brother, Renly. Stannis and Renly had an older brother, Robert, who was king during season 1, but died. When King Robert died, everything fell into chaos. Several made claim for the throne including Stannis and Renly.

Stannis as the older of the two has the better claim, but Renly has the better army. Stannis is a rigid man. Just but without mercy. One of his supporters is a smuggler who in the backstory smuggled onions into a castle under siege and saved Stannis's army from starvation. Stannis thanked him by chopping off the ends of his fingers on one hand (for a life of smuggling) and making him a knight (for heroism and saving his men). That should say all you need to know about him. Renly on the other hand... Well he's more or less an immature child who sees the war as a game. He has no clue what he's getting into but because people like him, he thinks he'd be the perfect king. That's not even getting into all the other stuff going on.

If you really want to see it, the first season is out on DVD so you could get that. Or better yet, you could read the books which are even better than the TV series. (the series is A Song of Ice and Fire. The first book is Game of Thrones.)