PDA

View Full Version : Is There a Feat for Multiple 5-foot Steps?

White_Drake
2012-04-23, 08:10 PM
I remember a feat from PH2 which allows you to 5-foot step when an attack of opportunity is triggered, which if used in conjunction with Robilar's Gambit would basically make a character immune to melee combat, because every time a monster attacked in melee they would provoke an attack of opportunity, which could be used to 5-foot step back,denying them their attack. The only trouble is that because a character can only 5-foot step once in a round, if the attacker has not already moved, they could simply close with their own 5-foot step. Can anybody see a way around this problem?

Edit: Also, who the hell keeps messing with my profile?

eggs
2012-04-23, 08:14 PM
If it can five foot step after the fighter, it must have been standing there during the fighter's turn. So it must have survived the fighter's full round attack.

Solution:

Hit it harder.
:smalltongue:

Alternatively, Sparring Dummy of the Master (arms and equipment guide) or lots of Tumble ranks (oriental adventures).

Eldariel
2012-04-23, 08:21 PM
Sidestep [Miniatures Handbook]/Evasive Reflexes [Tome of Battle] in conjunction with Robilar's Gambit [Player's Handbook II], or just plain Shifting Defense stance [Tome of Battle] will do to get the immediate movement.

Ways to get more movement on 5' Step:
- 10' Step via DC 40 Tumble-check [Oriental Adventure]
- 10' Step via Sparring Dummy of the Master [Arms & Equipment Guide] (requires 4 weeks of training; you have to be a Monk or be able to UMD being a Monk without fail to gain the benefit, which becomes permanent after the training)
- Press the Advantage stance [Tome of Battle] (note, unless you're a level 20 Warblade or a Master of the Nine, you can't have two Stances active at once and thus miss out on the easy solution of Shifting Defense + Press the Advantage; also note that Press the Advantage allows you to take two 5' steps so combined with either of the above, you could move 20')

Flickerdart
2012-04-23, 08:23 PM
Robilar's Gambit grants you an AoO after you're hit, not before, so you wouldn't be immune to anything.

Curmudgeon
2012-04-23, 08:25 PM
You're thinking of Evasive Reflexes (which is in Tome of Battle, not Player's Handbook II), and you're right: it doesn't specify an exception to the single 5' adjustment per round. I don't know of a way around this limit, but if you have a way of making a 10' adjustment instead that could get you out of harm's way. A Monk can train with a Sparring Dummy of the Master (Arms and Equipment Guide) to gain that 10' adjustment capability. Alternatively, anyone who can make a DC 40 Tumble check can Tumble 10' in place of a 5' step.

JadePhoenix
2012-04-23, 08:38 PM
Cyran Gliding Boots also allow a 10' Step, 3/day. I think they cost about 10k.

Eldariel
2012-04-23, 08:46 PM
Robilar's Gambit grants you an AoO after you're hit, not before, so you wouldn't be immune to anything.

Was it Karmic Strike then? Eh, whatever, I'm sure one was before, other was after since it came up on 339 like a billion times.

Grinner
2012-04-23, 08:46 PM
I think I see a problem with this build. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0216.html)

kardar233
2012-04-23, 09:46 PM
Doesn't Rob's Gambit give you an AoO when you're attacked, and Karmic Strike gives you one when you're hit? Thus you could AoO-5-foot-step out of the way using Rob's Gambit.

Also, the White Raven stance Press the Advantage gives you a second 5-foot step per turn.

JadePhoenix
2012-04-23, 10:10 PM
Was it Karmic Strike then? Eh, whatever, I'm sure one was before, other was after since it came up on 339 like a billion times.

It's the other way around. Robilar's Gambit gets you an AoO when they swing at you (that's the exact wording). Karmic Strike triggers when you're hit, but even then, AoO interrupt the action, so you could "not be hit" due to disarming the target or moving away.

King Atticus
2012-04-23, 10:28 PM
It's the other way around. Robilar's Gambit gets you an AoO when they swing at you (that's the exact wording).

Keep reading. The last line of the Benefit: section says...Resolve your attack of opportunity after your foe's attack.

White_Drake
2012-04-24, 08:01 AM
If I use the spring attack feat tree I could still deny most enemies their full attacks though, right. Plus if I take both Rob's Gambit and Karmic strike, I could hurt anyone who attacked me pretty bad. What is a Tibbit's natural form? The racial abilities section would seem to indicate humanoid, but the fluff would seem to indicate cat. If it is humanoid then I could take Warshaper to enhance my reach, and my Con so that I wasn't so much of a glass cannon. I suppose I could still do it with cat, but at that point I'm pretty sure I'd need so much work to make him able to do damage it wouldn't really be worth it.

Eldariel
2012-04-24, 08:40 AM
If I use the spring attack feat tree I could still deny most enemies their full attacks though, right. Plus if I take both Rob's Gambit and Karmic strike, I could hurt anyone who attacked me pretty bad. What is a Tibbit's natural form? The racial abilities section would seem to indicate humanoid, but the fluff would seem to indicate cat. If it is humanoid then I could take Warshaper to enhance my reach, and my Con so that I wasn't so much of a glass cannon. I suppose I could still do it with cat, but at that point I'm pretty sure I'd need so much work to make him able to do damage it wouldn't really be worth it.

Sounds like you're interested in Jack B. Quick (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869062/6_hits_to_1:_Jack_B._Quick).

White_Drake
2012-04-24, 09:02 AM
Thanks, this gives me a lot of great ideas, although I think I want something which pays off better in the short term. Most importantly, sidestep would allow me to get back out of range. So I can hit at multiple ranges which would be better, a bladed crossbow type thing, a pole arm with short haft, a spiked chain, or something of which I have not thought of?

WinWin
2012-04-24, 11:01 AM
Wolf Pack Tactics. It does wonderful things with a high Move.

Waker
2012-04-24, 12:31 PM
Spiked chain is an excellent weapon, another viable option is a polearm matched with spiked gauntlets.

herrhauptmann
2012-04-24, 02:40 PM
Spiked chain is an excellent weapon, another viable option is a polearm matched with spiked gauntlets.

Spinning sword from secrets of sarlona. 1 handed reach weapon, can be finessed. And it DOES affect people in armor.
Good if you're not a power attacker. Less so if you are.

White_Drake
2012-04-24, 06:02 PM
Ehh, wouldn't the whip-dagger from A&EG be better?

Curmudgeon
2012-04-24, 06:25 PM
Ehh, wouldn't the whip-dagger from A&EG be better?
Definitely not. Because it's treated as a ranged weapon, it doesn't threaten and you can't use it for AoOs.