PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars D20 bodyguard

Draig
2012-04-23, 10:04 PM
Ok playground I don't know how many of you are familiar with the Star wars D20 game but my group is playing a campaign in this system and the question came up. What is the best feasible bodyguard you could give or make for a Noble. I'm looking for both a Character class build (human,duros, etc.) Or a droid (factory or upgraded) that just screams "Bodyguard". And if we could I'd like to stay within the Original Gamebook for the system, not the expansion books and such.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2012-04-23, 11:30 PM
do you mean the D20 Revised Edition Star Wars, or Star Wars Saga? Well, i know nothing of Star Wars Saga.

However, if its Revised Edition, Jedi Win. You want a Bodyguard? you want a Jedi Guardian with lots of skill points in Force Powers. He can heal you if you drop, can boost his ( and your) stats, and he can see the future, thus potentially preventing damage to you. A Consular would have more skill points to play with, but a Guardian has the Vitality Points needed to protect you, AND run his various force powers.

If you dont want a Jedi as a Bodyguard, make a Soldier that wears Boba Fett's Armor. Its in the NPC section, and its the only way to stand toe to toe with a Jedi: even then, you can only match them for a few rounds. I also suggest the Bounty Hunter prestige class, its the only way to get Sneak Attack. IF you can hit an approaching Jedi with a sneak attack, you can make him choose between combat staying power, or using force powers (vitality points, remember?).

Also, if you manage to critical or coup de grace with a Sneak Attack, all that damage goes straight to wound points. Its a rare character that can survive 3d8+2+3d6. Maybe throw in a level or two of Scoundrel for an additional +1 to hit or damage on one attack per round.

And use grenades, lots of them. Even if a Jedi saves, they still take half damage. I suggest a grenade launcher. Again, look at Boba Fett's armor.

Hope that helps.

Tr011
2012-04-23, 11:34 PM
I am currently playing a bodyguard for a Noble. It's a B1 Battle Droid (my GM allowed me to take this and roll stats with +2/+0/-2/-4/-2/-4 stats) and I am buying other B1 battle droids as well, so right now he is walking around with 4 Battle Droids.

Draig
2012-04-23, 11:35 PM
It does help to a degree, in that the ideas you have seem to work. However going over our books I've realized that we have saga edition. (We bought ours when it first came out)

Draig
2012-04-23, 11:38 PM
Only problem with the battle droid idea is that the noble in question can have 1 bodyguard, because the group is already pretty big and an army would slow down combat

Jack Zander
2012-04-23, 11:42 PM
If this is SAGA then I've got the perfect build for you. This is a little something I've cooked up a while back.

Cerean
Assuming 30 Point Buy
Str 13
Dex 6
Con 14
Int 15
Wis 16
Cha 15

Jedi 3/Noble 1/Soldier1/Jedi 2
Trained Skills: Acrobatics, Initiative, Perception, Use the Force
1st Level: Force Training (Negate Energy x3, Rebuke), Deflect
2nd Level: Skill Focus: Use the Force
3rd Level: Force Training (Negate Energy x3, Rebuke), Block
4th Level: +1 Int +1 Cha, Trained in Persuasion, Damage Reduction 10
5th Level: Draw Fire
6th Level: Force Training (Negate Energy x2, Rebuke x2), Skill Focus: Persuasion
7th Level: Skilled Adviser
Everything past this is just icing.

Thanks to being a Cerean you now win Initiative almost every single encounter, even with your laughable Dex (you get a +10 and 1 reroll if you rolled below a ten; if so, just take a ten on your next roll). First round, move in the middle of enemy horde, standard action +force point to activate your damage reduction, swift action to make a Persuasion check vs. Will Defense to all enemies within line of sight. Failure means they cannot attack any of your allies, so long as you don't have cover against them. Second round, Draw fire as a swift action and do whatever the Hell you want with your other two actions. If Draw Fire somehow fails, use it again as a move action, and again as a standard action if necessary.

Congratulations. You are nigh-impervious to any damage or effects (area effects like grenades may give you slight aggravation but that's what DR is for) and your allies never have to worry about ever being targeted for anything ever. They can devote 100% of their builds into dealing damage. Out of combat you are still useful as you can give +5 or +10 to any other party member's skill checks.

Draig
2012-04-23, 11:47 PM
If this is SAGA then I've got the perfect build for you. This is a little something I've cooked up a while back.

Cerean
Assuming 30 Point Buy
Str 13
Dex 6
Con 14
Int 15
Wis 16
Cha 15

Jedi 3/Noble 1/Soldier1/Jedi 2
Trained Skills: Acrobatics, Initiative, Perception, Use the Force
1st Level: Force Training (Negate Energy x3, Rebuke), Deflect
2nd Level: Skill Focus: Use the Force
3rd Level: Force Training (Negate Energy x3, Rebuke), Block
4th Level: +1 Int +1 Cha, Trained in Persuasion, Damage Reduction 10
5th Level: Draw Fire
6th Level: Force Training (Negate Energy x2, Rebuke x2), Skill Focus: Persuasion
7th Level: Skilled Adviser
Everything past this is just icing.

Thanks to being a Cerean you now win Initiative almost every single encounter, even with your laughable Dex (you get a +10 and 1 reroll if you rolled below a ten; if so, just take a ten on your next roll). First round, move in the middle of enemy horde, standard action +force point to activate your damage reduction, swift action to make a Persuasion check vs. Will Defense to all enemies within line of sight. Failure means they cannot attack any of your allies, so long as you don't have cover against them. Second round, Draw fire as a swift action and do whatever the Hell you want with your other two actions. If Draw Fire somehow fails, use it again as a move action, and again as a standard action if necessary.

Congratulations. You are nigh-impervious to any damage or effects (area effects like grenades may give you slight aggravation but that's what DR is for) and your allies never have to worry about ever being targeted for anything ever. They can devote 100% of their builds into dealing damage. Out of combat you are still useful as you can give +5 or +10 to any other party member's skill checks.

Dear lord....
One minor question, did u mean to split jedi up? U have jedi 3/noble1/soldier1/ then jedi 2
Just clarifying it

Jack Zander
2012-04-23, 11:50 PM
Dear lord....
One minor question, did u mean to split jedi up? U have jedi 3/noble1/soldier1/ then jedi 2
Just clarifying it

Yes, the classes are listed in the order that you MUST take them. The build is set up pretty specifically so that you get certain abilities at just the right time. It doesn't really work any other way.

For example, you MUST start out with a odd number for INT so that you can increase it at level 4 when you take a noble level and are able to gain persuasion as a trained skill FOR FREE rather than spend the feat (which you will be pretty starved for).

P.S. If you GM is doing 25 point buy then you'll probably want to take 5 points from STR and drop it to an 8 and just not worry about attacking. Just be nothing but a tank, if you find that kind of thing fun. And if you are rolling for stats... by the Force you pray that you roll at least 1 13 for INT and something close to what the other stats are. High WIS, CON, and CHA are also important since they power your Force abilities and, in the case for CON, keep you alive.

Berenger
2012-04-24, 11:35 AM
The Ultimate Alien Anthology includes the prestige class Bodyguard.

Of course, jedi can outdo any mundane class in any area of expertise, so... :smallamused:

Hylas
2012-04-24, 12:29 PM
Be a trendoshan and stab people with a vibrosword like a Bossk.