PDA

View Full Version : Nord (Skyrim) vs Ironborn (Game of Thrones)

t209
2012-04-23, 10:26 PM
Which Vikings esque race do you like the most?
Nords- The main race in the videogame Skyrim and they came from Atmora and decided to settle in Skyrim until only Ysgrammor and his two sons escape from the elves' attack. They decided to pay back by exterminating the elves in Skyrim with 500 warriors. The Nords are also ancestor people of Bretons (Half Elves with ugly backstory that is not like this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0555.html)) and Imperials. One Nord became an emperor, founded the septim dynasty and became a god of war and governance
Until the empire banned him after elves beat the snot out of them, which sparked the viking rebellion of Independence that could be crushed or join them.
Ironborn- The ironborns of Iron Islands. led by House Greyjoys with their iron fleets. Their motto is "We do not sow". They prefer to raid instead of trading and farming. They worshipped the Drowned gods and One of them, Victarion Greyjoy, wore a kraken helmet and armed with an axe.
They managed to burn down lannister's fleet which is considered as the greatest navy in westeros.
Put other vikings styled races if you want.
(I wonder I see Water Tribes as having some elements of Vikings since they have long boats and wolf skin hoods).

Eldan
2012-04-23, 11:18 PM
I don't think there's that much of a contest here.

The Ironborn are basically close to reality. The Nords have wizards and the Thu'um, along with inborn magic powers.

Edit: I'm stupid. I thought they were fighting.

Erts
2012-04-24, 06:51 AM
Who do I like more personality wise? The Nords. Who do I like more as realistically portraying a Viking-esque culture? The Ironborn.
The Ironborn are the most vicious culture in all of the Seven Kingdoms besides House Bolton.

Riverdance
2012-04-24, 03:34 PM
Weirdly I had never thought about how much the Ironborn are like the Vikings but since you've pointed it out they totally are.

Also:

They managed to burn down lannister's fleet which is considered as the greatest navy in westeros.

I don't remember when this happened.

t209
2012-04-24, 04:01 PM
Weirdly I had never thought about how much the Ironborn are like the Vikings but since you've pointed it out they totally are.

Also:

I don't remember when this happened.

Or something about their
rebellion.
Edit: Don't forget that you can bring in your own vikings.

Put other vikings styled races if you want.

JustSomeGuy
2012-04-29, 08:50 AM
Who do I like more personality wise? The Nords. Who do I like more as realistically portraying a Viking-esque culture? The Ironborn.
The Ironborn are the most vicious culture in all of the Seven Kingdoms besides House Bolton.

I'm certainly no expert, but I was under the impression that the vikings' culture/society evolved to create trade and travel across europe and the african & asian nations close to the meditteranean sea. Of course i'm probably wrong, but the skyrim nords are probbly closer to this than the near-sighted policies of the iron islanders (i'm assuming that a nation that gets EVERYTHING from raids and fighting would quickly die out without prodigious reproductive rates).

t209
2012-04-29, 03:58 PM
I'm certainly no expert, but I was under the impression that the vikings' culture/society evolved to create trade and travel across europe and the african & asian nations close to the meditteranean sea. Of course i'm probably wrong, but the skyrim nords are probbly closer to this than the near-sighted policies of the iron islanders (i'm assuming that a nation that gets EVERYTHING from raids and fighting would quickly die out without prodigious reproductive rates).

This is why the skyrim Nords will survive since they are a bit saner (and more drunk) than Ironborns and also focus on trade, which made skyrim rich and powerful.
Don't forget the nice things about Vikings (or Norsemen to be more accurate).
1. They are the cleanest people in Dark Ages (Sauna and Saturday bathing).
2. The one to finally dominate England (not Harold Hardrada, the Normans with their Long boats).
3. Eastern Roman Bodyguards (which fit in the current Tamriel Empire)
4. English nobility titles (Jarls and Earls)
Well, it could be worse since the empire sold out (after being beaten by elves) the Nord gods and the stormcloak rebels are kinda racist and xenophobic.