PDA

View Full Version : New Character Conundrum 3.P

Tokuhara
2012-04-24, 01:24 PM
I am looking to make a new character for our group. My Half-Giant Werebear Warblade 6 was killed in a battle with a wraith and 2 necromancers and fell in battle.

So here is the party:
Dragonborn Mongrelfolk Incarnate 6 (Acting Tank)
Human Saint Paladin 4 (Healer/Undead Butcher)
Half-Kobold (Homebrew template) Halfling Blue Dragon Shaman 6 (Buffing Machine)
Quorbred Grey Elf Generalist 6 (Caster)
PF Dhampir Inqusitor 6 (Skillmonkey)
Awakened Fleshraker Beastmaster (Flanking Buddy/Swarmer)

The party is a little on the large side, but the campaign is on the Very Lethal end of the lethality scale, so a “Field General”/”Quarterback”/Leader is necessary, though a debuffer could help. The Wizard does some BFC and some Debuffing himself.

So now, I’m down to two builds to balance out the party:

Build 1:
Human (Heart of the Wilderness) Shogun Samurai (Skinned to fit a “Warlord” type from 4e) 20
Order: Dragon
Intent: The plan here is to act as the party’s leader, directing the party to get more actions, minor buffs (on top of the Dragon Shaman’s Auras), and to be an off-tank using Resolve to pull some damage off of the Incarnate. I would spend my actions to give actions to the party, give small boosts to the party, who tends to stay within 30’ of each other, and even spend my swift action to spend my immediate action to interject myself between a mook and our Incarnate. I’m giving up the mount to be a better leader.
Inspiration: Honestly, the Generals from Dynasty Warriors 5 Empires. The Generals IMO are mostly Cavaliers/Samurai who lead from the front of the army (or on a smaller scale, the party)

Build 2:
Elf (Dreamwalker) Winter Witch 20
Patron: Vengeance or Winter (the party is fighting a lot of Fire-subtype monsters)
Familiar: Improved (most likely an Imp)
Intent: The plan here is purely debuff and minor blasting (cold damage). Using hexes to keep enemies shut down (Slumber, Misfortune + Cackle, Evil Eye, Ice Prison) and blasting weaker enemies, this witch build acts more like a controller and out of combat controller. Overall, this is a good thing that Witch can do well.
Inspiration: The witch doctor from Conan meets a darker Harry Potter-type. The character is young for an elf, and found magic inadvertently by meeting his familiar and learned the magic of The Witch of the Wilds of our setting.

So here’s my question:
Considering what the party already has, build is more beneficial/optimized to the party’s current dynamic? I know that the “Why not play class X? It’s Better!!” argument will come up and here’s my answer: I want to be a team player, not a glory-hog. The wizard is reigning back to allow the suboptimal builds to shine in their intended roles, as shall I.

Thanks to all who post to this thread.

Tokuhara
2012-04-24, 07:55 PM
Please help. I got 3 days

*.*.*.*
2012-04-25, 01:25 AM
I would mainly suggest build 2, due to the your group's focus on melee. I would personally decide based on the wizard's play style. Is he a blaster? BFC? Buffer? Utility? If he is a blaster, I'd go with the witch. If he is anything else, the witch option may steal his thunder.

Tokuhara
2012-04-25, 09:48 AM
I would mainly suggest build 2, due to the your group's focus on melee. I would personally decide based on the wizard's play style. Is he a blaster? BFC? Buffer? Utility? If he is a blaster, I'd go with the witch. If he is anything else, the witch option may steal his thunder.

He does a little of everything. He has blasting spells, BFC, Debuff, Utility, and self-buffs. He is a tad selfish, but considering he would use his eclectic spell list to do most of what he wanted, he had most situations covered most of time, even if it meant occasional blasting

Tokuhara
2012-04-25, 10:58 AM
Update:

Two of our players split from the group, but the DM called on a favor and got 2 more players.

Here are the party shuffles:

Incarnate -> Half-Elf Oracle (supposedly, some strung out prophet-type)

Dragon Shaman -> Gnome Alchemist (Grenadier from what he said)

The group skypes often, so the Incarnate player and the Dragon Shaman player got in a heated argument with the GM over the fact that the Paladin was supposedly broken and that they never got any action, so they told the GM where he could shove it and left.

So now, we are short a buffer, but up 2 casters (the Alchemist will be dual-type grenading and summoning Pokemon-style)

So with this update, I had a third, rather odd build idea:

Build 3- Chocobo Rider

Race: Strongheart Halfling (Outrider, Low Blow, Underfoot)
Class: Gendarme Beast Riding Cavalier 20
Order: Sword
Mount: Ostrich (skinned as an oversized yellow chicken (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Chocobo).

This is a basic lancer build, where on mount back, I gore anyone nearby