PDA

View Full Version : need help trying to price a magical item

Kol Korran
2012-04-24, 02:15 PM
hi. i'm kinda bad at evaluating how much things cost. i want to introduce a new kind of magical item to a campaign, but i'm at a loss of how much it would cost.

basically it's an item created by duskblade, that enables mimicking their Arcane Channeling class feature, in a limited fashion.

the item is a sash, ribbon, crystal or whatever that you can attach to a weapon (doesn't cost space or the like) that holds a single spell (decided upon creation by the creating duskblade). this item enables the wielder to then discharge the spell upon hitting a target, the same as with arcane channeling.

the item is supposed to be used several times (like a low usage wand) but that matters less. how would you price a single use?

as an example, les say Jim the duskblade creates such and item for nom nom the barbarian, to attach to his axe. he decides the spell to be shocking grasp, 5th level. how much that costs?

Edit: is there such an item? :smallconfused: where?

thanks,
Kol.

Yoven
2012-04-24, 02:30 PM
the DMG (3.5) has a chart on page 285 about this.
do you really want the spell to be only usable once? ont once per day/week ...
if its a single Spell usable only once its probably best to use the formula for potions or scrolls, then multiply by 2 because it doesn't take up any space

gbprime
2012-04-24, 02:33 PM
Well you could model it after a Javelin of Lightning and just say that the weapon isn't consumed in the process.

Javelin of Lightning is SL X CL X 100gp for 1 charge

There's also a Necklace of Fireballs which is half that price (SL X CL X 50gp for one charge) but it blows up in your face if you fail a saving throw, so that kind of makes up the difference.

inexorabletruth
2012-04-24, 03:28 PM
You want Spell Storing. DMG pg 233

Price ranges from 18,000 gp to 200,000 gp added to the cost of the MW item depending on how many spells you want stored.

phantomreader42
2012-04-24, 05:34 PM
You want Spell Storing. DMG pg 233

Price ranges from 18,000 gp to 200,000 gp added to the cost of the MW item depending on how many spells you want stored.

But if it's designed to only be able to store a specific spell, the cost would probably be less. I think there's a magic weapon in some book that can store a spell, but only a specific one, but I don't know which book so I don't know where to find it.

Really, the question is, what do you want the item to do?

If you want to be able to cast a spell into the item once and then discharge it on attack, and later reload it with another spell, then you want Spell Storing.

If you want to do that, but only for a single specific spell, then some kind of discount or variant on Spell Storing.

If you want to create an item that casts a specific spell when used to make an attack, but doesn't have to be reloaded each time, then look at the formula for use-activated use of a spell. Not sure if weapon counts as a body slot or if you'd have to pay extra for the ability not being bound to a slot.

If you want the above, but only once a day, the same table has a formula for charges per day.

If you want the above, but only once EVER, it probably prices like a potion or something.

Kol Korran
2012-04-24, 11:36 PM
perhaps clarifications are in order:
- the item is not the weapon, and it's not a permanent addition to the weapon. it's a sort of a token that can be tied to the weapon, and then can be removed and perhaps tied to other weapons. as an example it might be an enchanted sash that enables the weapon to combust the enemy into flames (the combust spell) a few times. when the owner dies, the sash may be removed and added to a different weapon.

- I don't think it falls under the potions/ scrolls criteria since it's a spell that is used as a part of an attack, and as such saves up actions, and uses the attack mechanic to hit, same as arcane channeling. my initial thought it might be the cost of (50 x spell level x CL)+ some addition for the arcane channeling ability. but how much does that coast?

- it is not spell storing (though that may be a useful comparison). each such item works for a *specific* spell (decided upon creation), at a specific CL. it cannot be changed. unlike spell storing, there is no limit to the spell level. also, it is not permanently added to the item, so it doesn't changes the weapon's bonus. it's a sort of an add on, like a weapon crystal. The item CANNOT be charged with another spell.

- the item has finite charges. the amount of charges may change, but i was wondering the price of a single charge. (it will be around 5-10 charges. a bit iffy mechanics, never mind).

i guess in a way i ask "how much does a single use of the arcane channeling ability, with a predetermined spell costs?"

any answers?

Thurbane
2012-04-25, 12:43 AM
I think there's a magic weapon in some book that can store a spell, but only a specific one, but I don't know which book so I don't know where to find it.
Bloodstone weapon property (MIC, p.29) - functions like spell storing, but only holds Vampiric Touch (http://dndsrd.net/spellsTtoZ.html#vampiric-touch) (and automatically Empowers (http://dndsrd.net/featsAll.html#empower-spell) it).