PDA

View Full Version : PH2's spell Trollshape

Brock Samson
2012-04-24, 03:38 PM
So I take it that you gain the Regeneration ability of a troll while it's up. Obviously the physical stats - but do your mental stats change at all?

What else changes? Besides the fact that you get the nice extra temp. hit points?

Ranting Fool
2012-04-24, 03:50 PM
So I take it that you gain the Regeneration ability of a troll while it's up. Obviously the physical stats - but do your mental stats change at all?

What else changes? Besides the fact that you get the nice extra temp. hit points?

It's a Poly Self spell... but only into a Troll. So you become a Troll

Malachei
2012-04-24, 03:53 PM
New polymorph subschool (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060501a&page=5)

No spellcasting, also.

Flickerdart
2012-04-24, 03:56 PM
"Unless stated otherwise in the spell description, the target of a polymorph spell takes on all the statistics and abilities of an average member of the new form in place of its own, except as follows." --PHBII p. 95, "Polymorph Subschool"

Your physical and mental ability scores change to that of the troll's. You also gain its Darkvision and Rend. The only things you don't gain are HP, languages or alignment.

Venger
2012-04-24, 04:08 PM
New polymorph subschool (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060501a&page=5)

No spellcasting, also.

I think you're mistaken about not being able to cast when in troll form.

To cast a spell with a verbal component,
the subject must be able to speak. To cast a
spell with a somatic component, it must
have humanlike hands.

Trolls can speak, and as shown in the picture, they have five fingered hands with thumbs, so there's no reason they shouldn't be able to cast spells.

Malachei
2012-04-24, 04:29 PM

Trolls can speak, and as shown in the picture, they have five fingered hands with thumbs, so there's no reason they shouldn't be able to cast spells.

It is right there in the rules text I linked.

Flickerdart
2012-04-24, 04:31 PM
When using a spell from the Polymorph subschool, unless the spell states otherwise, the caster loses all class features.

Venger
2012-04-24, 05:13 PM
It is right there in the rules text I linked.

hmm (http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/131/399/fry.PNG?1307468855)

The target loses all of the special abilities it has in its normal form, including its class features (even if the new form would normally be able to use these class features).
derp. awfully sorry about that. I think it's just my eye that's been trained to gloss over a lot of the rules copypasta in rules stuff. I must've missed it.

Venusaur
2012-04-24, 05:43 PM
Just out of curiosity, are you naked after you cast that spell? Because that could be very awkward when you save the princess.

Flickerdart
2012-04-24, 05:46 PM
Just out of curiosity, are you naked after you cast that spell? Because that could be very awkward when you save the princess.
Yes. All of your equipment melds into your form. However, trolls don't usually wear pants anyway, so it's probably okay.

Ernir
2012-04-24, 06:02 PM
I hear familiars love being trolls.

I don't think trolls have genitals, anyway. I think they just rip each others' arms off and hope they grow into new trolls.

Namfuak
2012-04-24, 06:26 PM
I hear familiars love being trolls.

I don't think trolls have genitals, anyway. I think they just rip each others' arms off and hope they grow into new trolls.

That would explain the lack of female trolls. And I suppose mean that there are no male trolls either.

KillianHawkeye
2012-04-25, 05:33 AM
But it doesn't explain Half-Trolls. :smallamused:

Brock Samson
2012-04-25, 08:43 AM
Touche'! I'm envisioning... a piece of a troll gets stuck to your baby when it's born and it melds. Or before the half-troll is even conceived perhaps one of the parents had some endless-troll-soup that wasn't fully cooked through.

Regardless, perhaps my familiar would occasionally enjoy being a troll...

pffh
2012-04-25, 08:44 AM
But it doesn't explain Half-Trolls. :smallamused:

Maybe that's what happens if you eat a troll. It grows inside you and eventually becomes part of your system.

Ranting Fool
2012-04-25, 09:05 AM
Maybe that's what happens if you eat a troll. It grows inside you and eventually becomes part of your system.

Well if you ever played Warhammer (not 40K) you'd know what happens...

Grom the Paunch of Misty Mountain is an obese and fierce Goblin who gained the ability to regenerate after he ate Troll flesh