PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] How to carry magical goods safely! (Help, please)

PrinceRenais
2012-04-24, 06:04 PM
How might a Wizard securely carry a ton of wands (or other goodies he might make in his travels) around with him with accessibility in emergency situations? More specifically, A level 6 Illusionist whom can't cast Necromancer/Enchanting spells. All books are allowed, if the DM approves it of course. While I myself will be using it, A complete list of possibilities could be made into a decent short guide of sorts.

My first thought would be a Bag of Holding, but that could potentially be pick-pocketed from you, I imagine - Although, protective measures could be taken (Sepia Snake Sigil, perhaps?).

Shadow Cache would protect it, if you pick it up before the stuff is washed away by the tides of the ever-fluctuating Plane of Shadow - but it doesn't travel with you anyway, so it doesn't solve my issues.

In any case, It would be nice for there to be a list of some other "How to carry tons-o'-expensive-magical-stuff-while-traveling" methods.

Righteous Doggy
2012-04-24, 06:10 PM
Belt of many pockets, or any of the other dozens of magical pouch equipments might work. Secret chest if you don't mind its limitations. Put a permanent alarm on your pockets if your super duper paranoid about your pants :P.

hivedragon
2012-04-24, 06:11 PM
Packmate Homunculus (magic of eberron)

Emperor Tippy
2012-04-24, 06:11 PM
Hoard Gullet, a first level spell from Dragon Magic. Just throw as much as you want in a type 1 bag of holding (put other bags of holding inside it if you need more capacity) and then swallow it.

It can't be pickpocketed and it's perfectly safe.

deuxhero
2012-04-24, 06:14 PM
Handy Haversack with Arcane Lock (getting the RAW target of arcane lock is annoying though)?

PrinceRenais
2012-04-24, 06:19 PM
Packmate Homonculus - Best idea yet, but it doesn't seem quite natural to have a walking chest next to you at all times. Practical, yet not necessarily appealing to the character.
Arcane Lock can be easily overcome by a Knock spell, sadly. It's good if you're the only arcanist, of course!
Alarm on a magic item can be temporarily disabled by a Dispel Magic spell.

We've got good thoughts so far! :smallamused:

deuxhero
2012-04-24, 06:23 PM
Pickpockets tend not to know 2nd level spells.

PrinceRenais
2012-04-24, 06:27 PM
You make a good point, but I'm keeping open to possibilities. If a jealous wizard hired someone to steal it from me, so that he could take it for himself, I want to know how to make his time as hard as possible (and I would like to think many others might agree, when it comes to countless magical wands and other items you've spent most of your money & time making)!

deuxhero
2012-04-24, 06:30 PM
If a wizard able to afford a pickpocket (who mind you needs to meet a 23 DC UMD to use it, so mid levels or a caster themself) with magic items, is out to get you, theft is the least of your worries.

Also Knock is loud.

PrinceRenais
2012-04-24, 06:44 PM
You make a very good point, my apologies if It seems like I'm just trying to rudely argue simply for the sake of argument. It was just a quickly thought-of example. I agree, it's quite difficult to steal using most of these methods - but my point is that it's still possible.
I'm really just interested in getting as close to a fool-proof method as I can, and in the mean time I'm compiling possible ways to get past the ones we've got so far (not that theft is very likely to happen).

Knock, though, does not mention making a sound at all, in its spell description. It might make a noise when it's moving something inside of a lock - but knocking an arcane lock makes no physical noise.

Also, going back a little - Secret Chest and Hoard Gullet lack the accessibility I'm looking for, but they shall be mentioned anyway! Good for transporting expensive goods inconspicuously.

Edit: Perhaps simply stealing it from your room while you're unsuspecting? If it's still nearby when you find out it's gone, IIRC Locate Object would help.

Rubik
2012-04-24, 06:47 PM
There are wand bracers and wand chambers in Dungeonscape. They're cheap and you can add them to any set of bracers or weapon that can hold one.

Y'know, if you want wands specifically.

PrinceRenais
2012-04-24, 06:55 PM
Great additions, Rubik! How could I have missed those?

Rubik
2012-04-24, 07:03 PM
Great additions, Rubik! How could I have missed those?Note that you can stick a wand chamber in a wand (since a wand can be used as a weapon) to stick a wand in a wand in a wand in a wand in a wand in a wand in a wand in a wand in a wand in a wand in a wand in a wand in a wand in a wand in a wand in a wand in a wand in a wand in a wand in a wand...

[edit] Oh, and remember that you can stick a wand chamber into each part of nearly any weapon. A quarterstaff gets two, a bow gets one (so elvencraft longbows get three), a shield gets one (they can be used to bash, remember), and you can stick one in each of your gauntlets (the portion that overlaps your forearms should be long enough), in your sleeve blades, in your elbow blades, (possibly) in your boot-blades, in your knee blades...

I'm sure you can find some way to put them in your braid blades and tail club as well.

deuxhero
2012-04-24, 08:23 PM
Don't forget the one in the DMG

Spuddles
2012-04-25, 06:42 AM
If a wizard able to afford a pickpocket (who mind you needs to meet a 23 DC UMD to use it, so mid levels or a caster themself) with magic items, is out to get you, theft is the least of your worries.

Also Knock is loud.

The NPCs may not be as murderous as the players.

Thomasinx
2012-04-25, 06:59 AM
Hoard Gullet, a first level spell from Dragon Magic. Just throw as much as you want in a type 1 bag of holding (put other bags of holding inside it if you need more capacity) and then swallow it.

It can't be pickpocketed and it's perfectly safe.

I could have sworn that you're not able to stack extradimensional space like that.

If I remember correctly, if you put a bag of holding inside another bag of holding, then all the weight contained in the first one also applies to the second one.

I'll try to find where it's written...

Rubik
2012-04-25, 11:30 AM
Gloves of the master strategist are a cheap item from the Ghostwalk setting that act as gloves of storing, but only cost 3,600 gp and give True Strike 1/day.

Slipperychicken
2012-04-25, 12:43 PM
Note that you can stick a wand chamber in a wand (since a wand can be used as a weapon) to stick a wand in a wand in a wand in a wand in a wand in a wand in a wand in a wand in a wand in a wand in a wand in a wand in a wand in a wand in a wand in a wand in a wand in a wand in a wand in a wand...

Isn't that impossible, assuming wands of the same dimensions? I got my DM to let me stick them in a Warforged's natural weapon (Slam), fluffed as firing it put of his palm, so I could play Iron Man. Yes, I know that There's A Warforged Component For That.

I'd take this opportunity to invoke the "rule of thumb" in Weapon Modifications: that you'd need a hilt and/or six inches on a weapon to put a chamber in it.

Would this let you put a wand chamber on your Unarmed Strike?

TheTick
2012-04-25, 12:53 PM
Isn't that impossible, assuming wands of the same dimensions? I got my DM to let me stick them in a Warforged's natural weapon (Slam), fluffed as firing it put of his palm, so I could play Iron Man. Yes, I know that There's A Warforged Component For That.

I'd take this opportunity to invoke the "rule of thumb" in Weapon Modifications: that you'd need a hilt and/or six inches on a weapon to put a chamber in it.

Would this let you put a wand chamber on your Unarmed Strike?

I'm picturing Wolverine, but instead of claws, wands that jut out from hands.

Rubik
2012-04-25, 01:05 PM

Would this let you put a wand chamber on your Unarmed Strike?The rules on wand chambers requires that it be a weapon with a hilt, haft, or other part that's at least 6" long. Wands are 1' long, and are usable as weapons (there's a feat in, I believe, CAr that lets you use them as such), and dorjes qualify as well (as there's a feat in CPsi that does the same).

It's all good.

Spuddles
2012-04-25, 01:16 PM
I'm picturing Wolverine, but instead of claws, wands that jut out from hands.

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/462247835_tXi62-L-2.jpg

TheTick
2012-04-25, 01:17 PM
Ha! I remember that now! Awesome.

Slipperychicken
2012-04-25, 02:06 PM
The rules on wand chambers requires that it be a weapon with a hilt, haft, or other part that's at least 6" long. Wands are 1' long, and are usable as weapons (there's a feat in, I believe, CAr that lets you use them as such), and dorjes qualify as well (as there's a feat in CPsi that does the same).

It's all good.

I do agree with the RAW, but the wands are the same volume and dimensions, so each chambered wand would have to occupy the same space or else jut out a little from the end, each wand jutting a little more, eventually creating a wand-staff of sorts.

2xMachina
2012-04-25, 02:12 PM
In the first place, you're supposed to put a 1' wand into a chamber that fits into a hilt that's 6" long.

Randomguy
2012-04-25, 02:18 PM
Hoard Gullet, a first level spell from Dragon Magic.

This, and swallow your familiar whenever you want to grab a wand so he can get one for you, since you can't take them out individually.

Or use transdimensional mage hand.

Slipperychicken
2012-04-25, 06:11 PM
This, and swallow your familiar whenever you want to grab a wand so he can get one for you, since you can't take them out individually.

Or use transdimensional mage hand.

Although I'm not so sure on the RAW of that, the image of a little bird tossing wands out of your mouth is kind of amusing.

PrinceRenais
2012-04-25, 07:48 PM
Hehe! How would that one work, I wonder?

kaomera
2012-04-25, 07:52 PM
Kill every other living thing in the multiverse, then you can just leave them lying around where-ever you want.

Bronk
2012-04-26, 07:52 AM
There is always the 'Wand Bracer' from Dragon 291... a pair of magical bracers, each of which can hold three wands. By spending one charge from each wand, they become attuned to the bracer, and the wearer can use the wands without drawing them seperately.

Seatbelt
2012-04-26, 08:55 AM
I see no reason why you couldn't make a custom mundane item for quick-drawing wants. There is a potion belt in the Faerun guide that lets you draw potions as a free action instead of a move. Wand Bandolier?