PDA

View Full Version : Are Tibbits Cats or Humanoids?

White_Drake
2012-04-24, 06:10 PM
Are Tibbits cats that can change into humanoids, as the fluff would suggest, or humanoids that can change into cats, as the abilities would suggest? I want to play a Tibbit Warshaper, and if I only get the abilities in cat form it'd be a terrible build.

Taelas
2012-04-24, 06:17 PM
That is not what the fluff suggests. Read the first line of their description again.

shadow_archmagi
2012-04-24, 08:02 PM
That is not what the fluff suggests. Read the first line of their description again.

The fluff describes them as being descended from cat familiars that became so intelligent they gained shapechanging powers, and states that most of them spend most of their time in cat form.

The abilities say that if you kill a Tibbit, it shifts back into its humanoid form, suggesting that humanoid has become the natural state.

Marnath
2012-04-24, 08:05 PM
Are Tibbits cats that can change into humanoids, as the fluff would suggest, or humanoids that can change into cats, as the abilities would suggest?

Yes. :smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

Particle_Man
2012-04-24, 08:39 PM
Tibbits are humanoids, magically changed from animals that were cats (and presuming they breed true, giving birth to other cat-like humanoids).

Now I want to play a game where the entire party are Tibbits. :smallcool:

Ravens_cry
2012-04-24, 09:09 PM
Now I want to play a game where the entire party are Tibbits. :smallcool:
In that case, wrangling the PC's would not be like herding cats.:smallamused:

Elfinor
2012-04-25, 08:01 AM
The real question is: Do they qualify for Handle Humanoid (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c)?:smalltongue:

Ravens_cry
2012-04-25, 08:16 AM
The real question is: Do they qualify for Handle Humanoid (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c)?:smalltongue:
That is indeed the question.
I believe the answer is . . .yes!:smallbiggrin:

Duke of URL
2012-04-25, 08:23 AM
Tibbets are Monstrous Humanoids with the Shapechanger subtype. See Dragon Magazine Compendium, page 25.

(Note, it actually says Shapeshifter subtype, but as far as I know, that isn't a defined subtype.)

Since they are not humanoids, the answer would be no. I personally would not object to letting tibbits use handle humanoid on each other, but that would require a houserule.

Killer Angel
2012-04-25, 08:34 AM
I think to them as cats that can shapechange. But that only cause I like it more this way, I know I'm wrong.
Once, I've made a short adventure where the "beg" was the tibbit, who was an assassin (eliminating all the supposed threats to its human granny)

Psyren
2012-04-25, 08:58 AM
As Duke of URL said, they are neither truly cats nor truly humanoids. The Shapechanger subtype should handle any Warshaper requirements regardless of form.

Debihuman
2012-04-25, 09:11 AM
Tibbets were converted to 3rd edition in the Dragon Compendium pages 21-25 (this updated the material from the Dragon Magazine #135 article by Scott Bennie).

The racial traits lists them as Monstrous Humanoids (Shapeshifter), which converts to Monstrous Humanoid (Shapechanger) in 3.5.

Unfortunately, the information in the book isn't open content.

Debby