PDA

View Full Version : Controlling the battlefield without being controlled yourself

jguy
2012-04-24, 08:12 PM
I am writing up a druid the specializes in battlefield control but I am having a hard time thinking of ways that I wouldn't be hurt by my own spells.

The main contenders are Entangle, Spike Growth, and Spike Stones, and Wall of Thorns. Are there any spells, abilities, feats, or items that make me immune to some, or all, of these spells? Also, any further ideas on druid BFC is more than welcome

Particle_Man
2012-04-24, 08:33 PM
Shapechange into a bird and fly well above the mess? Make sure you have Natural Spell as a feat.

jguy
2012-04-24, 08:50 PM
I was thinking of that. This is for a 3.P game. I was debating on using the shifting from phbII so as to not be too cheesy but it is still up in the air.

TuggyNE
2012-04-24, 09:38 PM
Shapechange into a bird and fly well above the mess? Make sure you have Natural Spell as a feat.
Wildshape, technically, but same difference.

I was thinking of that. This is for a 3.P game. I was debating on using the shifting from phbII so as to not be too cheesy but it is still up in the air.

Honestly, it's powerful (or even overpowering, if you get carried away), but it's not really cheesy -- what else would you use Natural Spell for? Now, if you were talking about combining Fleshraker form/companion with Venomfire, I could perhaps understand this attitude a bit more. :smalltongue:

Also, a note: it's generally considered more acceptable to use your vast full-caster powers to control enemy movement, enhance your allies, and so forth than it is to upstage everyone else by killing things directly before they can. In other words, enable team success.

Spuddles
2012-04-24, 09:46 PM
Isn't there a way to get Woodland Stride to apply to magical stuff?

jguy
2012-04-24, 09:50 PM
Wildshape, technically, but same difference.

Honestly, it's powerful (or even overpowering, if you get carried away), but it's not really cheesy -- what else would you use Natural Spell for? Now, if you were talking about combining Fleshraker form/companion with Venomfire, I could perhaps understand this attitude a bit more. :smalltongue:

Also, a note: it's generally considered more acceptable to use your vast full-caster powers to control enemy movement, enhance your allies, and so forth than it is to upstage everyone else by killing things directly before they can. In other words, enable team success.

This is what my whole post is about, I was generally looking for ways that either I, or my team, can work in the controlled areas without being hampered, making it even better. Best I can think of is Freedom of Movement for entangle but that's it so far.

jguy
2012-04-24, 09:52 PM
Isn't there a way to get Woodland Stride to apply to magical stuff?

This is what I want honestly, either a magical item or feat that lets me do it. I might have to homebrew something. Perhaps boots with freedom of movement that pertain specifically to magically created difficult terrain

Slipperychicken
2012-04-24, 10:41 PM
Sculpt Spell shapes your stuff to be more convenient. An honestly, that's one of the main balancing factors of CC (crowd control); you need to think about where you land it.

Travel Domain gives you free FOM cleric level/day.

It sounds like you've been trying to cover the whole group of enemies with move-reduction, then charge into melee with them. A better thing to do with such spells is isolate a small group from its buddies, so you fight a few at a time, instead of all at once, then pound the buddies with ranged until the CC wears off.

Darrin
2012-04-25, 10:07 AM
I am writing up a druid the specializes in battlefield control but I am having a hard time thinking of ways that I wouldn't be hurt by my own spells.

Heart of Water (Complete Mage, Dru 3): Gives you water breathing, swim speed, and +5 on escape artist checks, but it can also be dismissed to gain freedom of movement for 1 round/CL. Doesn't last all that long, but this should take care of entangle. As far as wall of thorns... I guess you can move through just fine, but I think you'll still take damage from the thorns.

For spike growth... hmmm. Spellguard Rings (4000 GP each, Complete Mage) might be worth considering, particularly for your allies. I'm not sure if you can use both rings on yourself, though.

Shape Soulmeld: Airstep Sandals allows you to fly in short hops (10' + 5' per essentia) as a move action, but you have to end your movement on solid ground. However, the 1d4 damage only triggers when you enter a square on foot... if you fly in, that might not count.

There may be some tricks you can use with Talisman of the Disk (500 GP, MIC) to float over the battlefield. Put it on a flying animal companion, or buy a raven/corollax. Give it a Pearl of Speech (600 GP, MIC) or train it to speak the command word on the Talisman of the Disk. Step on the disk, and direct your flyer to move across the battlefield (but stay within 3' of the ground). Works great with pouncers, too (they charge + pounce, and the "rider" gets to full attack as well).

For spike stones, you can ignore difficult terrain with Vanguard Treads (3100 GP, MIC).

Also, any further ideas on druid BFC is more than welcome

Get a Lesser Metamagic Rod of Sculpt Spell (3000 GP, MIC) ASAP, and get multiples if you can afford it. 3/day, sculpt your entangles/spike growth/etc. Also loads of fun with call lightning: four 10' x 10' cubes of lightning.

And not really BFC, but Lesser Metamagic Rod of Extend (3000 GP, DMG) + creeping cold is absolutely nasty: 21d6 damage over 6 rounds.

Put a wand chamber (100 GP, Dungeonscape) in your weapon/shield, and get a wand of instant of power (750 GP, Forge of War, Dru 1): as an immediate action, give a +4 enhancement bonus to any ally's next attack, save, or damage roll.

More druid advice (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12183941&postcount=4) on spell selection.

Piggy Knowles
2012-04-25, 12:06 PM
It won't help with Entangle and the like, but I always enjoy the winter-themed Druid, both thematically and because Snowsight/Snow Walk will make you and your companion immune to many of the negative effects of your BFC.

But yeah, until Freedom of Movement comes online, your best bet to avoid those particular spells is flight, which could come from spells, wild shape, or from riding your dire bat companion.

Venger
2012-04-25, 12:35 PM

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0354.html

Do you like using melee as a druid while in wild shape form? is that what's making it difficult for you? do you enjoy charging?

if so and you don't want to change your combat style, debuffs can function a lot like BC spells.

if you would like more BC, you must become acquainted with the blockade spell from CSco. make a giant 5' cube of wood appear. very useful for boxing in enemies

while bloodsnow (obviously) requires snow to work, it's nonetheless a very nasty spell. how many other 2nd lvl spells do you know that deal con drain forcing a save for multiple rounds (yes it forces a save every round) and it stipulates that it's only creatures in contact with the snow, so as mentioned, stay in the air as a bird or whatever and you're free and clear

capricious zephyr is a fun spell for BC as well. bullrush enemies around the battlefield and knock them down. a lower lvl defenestrating sphere (plus it's on the druid list)

column of ice works for providing cover, forcing balance checks (no one has that) and slamming guys into ceilings if inside or forcing falling damage otherwise