PDA

View Full Version : Making a non-primary caster scout (not Scout)

ILM
2012-04-25, 04:29 AM
I'm well aware that a caster can scout better than anyone, just like he can do anything better than anyone too. That's not exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for a character that is a scout. The kind of guy you send ahead in a dungeon, or behind enemy lines, or far away to the North to see the advance of the enemy's army. Go, see, and report. As such, his primary abilities will be mobility, perception (spot, listen of course, but also detect magic, trapfinding and the like) and stealth (again, not just hide and move silently, but mind blank, nondetection, and so on). The secondary things I'd like to shoot for is the ability to do something when you detect something: kill it (discreetly), disarm it, or even just send a message back to the others.

I said I don't want a primary caster, which means that while I'm not opposed to spellcasting, I'm not looking for a guy who gets level 9 spells. A Third Eye Conceal gets me Mind Blank and immunity to a bunch of divinations, and I can't really think of spells above level 6 that would be required for this little guy.

I'm thinking maybe Whisper Gnome Scout, Focused Diviner with Spontaneous Divination, into Unseen Seer with a Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis because there's like no reason ever not to have one. Beyond that, no idea (more Scout? Swiftblade?), and I'm kind of stumped on feats too. Any help?

Darth_Versity
2012-04-25, 04:55 AM
You have just described the Beguiler. A tier 3 full caster with a buck load of skills, trapfinding and spells that make investigation and sneaking a breeze. Also has some decent Buff and Battlefield control spells while not overpowering melee.

ILM
2012-04-25, 05:00 AM
Isn't the Beguiler sort of limited in his spell list though? Although you do get extra spells from Advanced Learning and Unseen Seer...

You know, thanks for the suggestion. I'm liking how this looks and things may just be easier than I thought.

Keep it coming! :smallsmile:

Darth_Versity
2012-04-25, 05:23 AM
Isn't the Beguiler sort of limited in his spell list though? Although you do get extra spells from Advanced Learning and Unseen Seer...

You know, thanks for the suggestion. I'm liking how this looks and things may just be easier than I thought.

Keep it coming! :smallsmile:

The spell list is limited, but it has UMD for everything else and can use Eternal Wands for low level stuff.

Honestly, for a scout ahead character you cant do a lot better. They can do all the sneaky forward scouting like a rogue and if they mess up somehow, they still have all their spells as a panic button.

A level of mindbender with mindsight makes it even better as they can then detect every single creature with an INT score within 100', so nothing can sneak up on them.

JeminiZero
2012-04-25, 07:36 AM
My 2 cp:

Hengyokai (Lesser): The 0 LA version still gets the ability to transform into a sparrow. Thats all sorts of useful for scouting around without raising the alarm in wilderness area. In dungeons where sparrows are not common, its still useful for flight, and the hide bonus from tiny size.

Some possible classes:
-Factotum: The other decent tier skill monkey class
-Ranger: You have to load up on variants for this to work: Trapfinding for obvious reasons. Urban Companion, so that you get an intelligent minion who has your skill ranks (E.g. if you deem a trap too risky, you can send your companion to try and disarm it for you). And probably Wildshape, so that you you can transform into a bear and grapple enemies to death. Preferably in a silence field, so that they die without alerting anyone else.

ILM
2012-04-25, 09:18 AM
Okay, so how about a Whisper Gnome Beguiler 8/Mindbender 1/ Sneak Attack Fighter 1/ Unseen Seer 5/ Abjurant Champion 5? (AC for d10 HD, BAB and a little defense)

Feats would go something like Darkstalker, Mindsight, Combat Casting, Extra Silence and then a bunch of stuff to increase the DCs of enchantment spells (but not Vow of Peace, too restricting).

As for items, Third Eye Conceal, Mesmerists's Gloves, Veil of Allure and Mask of Silent Trickery. Eternal Wands of Undetectable Alignment, Primal Hunter and Primal Instinct, too.

What am I missing? :smallsmile: