PDA

View Full Version : Etherealness possible exploit

Kerilstrasz
2012-04-25, 06:59 AM
I was searching for my next Character to create and I found the Ninja class in Complete Adventurer.. one of his "specials" put me to thinking..
im talking about Ghost Step, at level 10..
Ghost Step (Su): Starting at 2nd level, a ninja can
spend one daily use of her ki power to become invisible
for 1 round. Using this ability is a swift action (see Swift
Actions and Immediate Actions, page 137) that does not
provoke attacks of opportunity.
At 10th level, a ninja can become ethereal when using
ghost step instead of becoming invisible.

So, I'm thinking.. i use ghost step and becoming ethereal, i move near my enemy, and raise an item (an arrow, a dagger, a rope, my lantern, anything at all..) at the place his heart is... and when i return to material plane he is dead! Is that correct at all???

Well... you may say that, as ethereal jaunt spell clarifies...
If you end the spell and become material
while inside a material object (such as a
solid wall), you are shunted off to the
nearest open space and take 1d6 points of
damage per 5 feet that you so travel.

that the object I will use is in the same category.. if thats true,
what if I use a custom craftet object in the shape of B or S or @? it will be forced to move while "in the material object" (enemy bodie) and kill him.

I 'd like some feedback on that idea plz.
Thnx in advance.

FearlessGnome
2012-04-25, 07:18 AM
This is not how the rules work. You cannot set something in motion according to the rules of magic and then partway through say "The rules are a little bit unclear. Surely what happens is that the laws of real life physics take over, which in this case would mean immediate death for the victim."

You and your stuff get shunted out of the object. By the rules, even though only the object is inside the enemy, you take damage.

Thomasinx
2012-04-25, 07:21 AM
These are my guesses. It basically depends on how the 'shunting' is interpreted.

Possibility 1:
You get shunted, take damage, and the target takes no damage.
(You cannot displace whatever you are reforming inside of, and therefore take damage as you are unable to reform in time.)

Possibility 2:
You and target both take 1d6 damage for the partial shunt.
(Your DM says sure, why not, and lets you do a little bit of damage this way)

Anything else would be the DM changing things for you. If he's feeling generous, he might give you a free touch attack.